The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2024, 05:41 AM   #31
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Last thing I want is something strapped to my wrist distracting me with notifications all day. Watching a mechanical second hand sweep is almost meditative compared to the Taptic of an Apple Watch.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 05:43 AM   #32
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Many of us have briefly fallen for the Wrist Satan. We understand.

You are forgiven.

_n2.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 05:44 AM   #33
shredace
"TRF" Member

I wear my Apple Series 8 watch for tennis, pickleball and the gym. I love it because it’s light and tracks my heart rate and fitness. Other than that I always wear my mechanical watches. Each type of watch has its place.
shredace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 06:26 AM   #34
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

for all you buying apple watches...thank you!!

I don't own an Apple Watch, but I do own apple stock.
Wee-Willie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 06:55 AM   #35
ScottPSU
"TRF" Member

We accept your transgressions and welcome you back with open arms.

Like many have said, I totally agree. I am surround by tech, work in the software industry and while I also strayed for a brief period of time, I love nothing more than less distractions. When I wear my Apple Watch, it is for the aforementioned reasons (primarily working out), and it is beyond annoying. Yes, you can go down the rabbit hole to personalize what causes notifications, etc. but my phone is usually nearby.

I don't discount the fall notification and health features that are available and wonder if we will see a melding of these capabilities with more "traditional" watches like some of the other brands have tried. Hoping not (not advocating for this, just posing a hypothetical). For those health and fall detection reasons, the AW has its place. As for me, it will stay on the nightstand and I will keep the Rolex rotation going on my wrist.

Wishing you all a great weekend!
ScottPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 07:25 AM   #36
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Great for working out.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 11:41 AM   #37
BradSomrak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I did this exact same thing two months ago.
BradSomrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 01:06 PM   #38
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

I wore both for about six years.

The Apple Watch wins on every "Left Brain" measure... fall protection, AFIB detection, biometrics, notifications, precise time/temp/location, usability, readability, versatility, 100 apps, etc.

The Rolex on left wrist is a passion thing.

This summer, I took off my newish Apple Watch and gave it to my niece. Haven't worn one since.

I may have undetected AFIB, lie in a gutter and die with no one notified, have to constantly check my phone for notifications, etc., but wearing my mechanical watches is like insisting to use my drawing board and T-Square in the age of AutoCad. I'm upholding a lost cause, and I enjoy it.

Ideally, Apple will develop a ring with these features, or a wafer that lies under the body of my "antique" Rolex to provide modern features. I'm OK with the guy in the well-maintained Model A parking next to the fifty five Chevies with their fancy automatic starters, heaters, radio, defroster, roll up windows, synchronized gears and other NON-PURIST fanciful bull-****!!!

And I'll rant that those not willing to learn how to manually advance ignition, double clutch, and yank on manual steering are not purists.

I have nearly a dozen Rolex that are undeniably inferior to the most basic Apple watch in every left-brain way, but they appeal to my heart nonsensically.

Unless (sigh) TEOTWAWKI where there are no chargers but I can always wind my Rolex.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 01:16 PM   #39
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I wear 2 watches. Garmin to my right and Rolex to my left
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 01:29 PM   #40
Kingranch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Many of us have briefly fallen for the Wrist Satan. We understand.

You are forgiven.

Attachment 1417364
Old 3 February 2024, 01:54 PM   #41
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingranch View Post
I cheated. I have been stupid. I am full of regret. I am sorry.

About a month ago I purchased an Apple Watch Ultra 2 and thought I would give it a whirl. It’s been a month almost to the day. The AWU made me also go to the optometrist and get a better prescription so I can see the Ultra better and use it more. Did not have the impact that I thought. Way to many distractions, plus when I am with someone I do want to engage with them not a watch.

So I pulled my DSSD out of the safe today and strapped it on for the first time in a month. All I can say is I am so happy I got new glasses, this watch is amazing!

So my advice is do not go to the dark side!

What was I thinking?

Just don’t let it happen again, lol

Call me an old soul, but wouldn’t wear an Apple watch, I wouldn’t read a book on my phone either

Just curious, what happens when your Apple watch power goes dead in the middle of the day?
Old 3 February 2024, 03:29 PM   #42
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
My apple watch is here at home… but workout like 3-4 times
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 04:46 PM   #43
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Like most others here I wear my AW mostly to track workouts. But honestly if I didn't love watches so much I'd wear it 24/7, quite literally (track sleep at night). I find it quite useful, I like carrying my phone in my pockets so I enjoy checking/responding quickly to texts or even calls via my watch without taking my phone out. Also paying for stuff.

Notwithstanding all that, I do have to wonder if a "real" watch is on borrowed time. Mostly due to the health features they keep cramming into these things (although ironically Apple had to remove the blood oxygen monitor due to patent infringement, hope that gets sorted). Rumor is they are working on a BP monitor.

Tech keeps advancing, I don't think it's farfetched to imagine a day these things could literally save people's lives (I mean they have already) by maybe detecting an impending heart attack or stroke or other health issue. If this tech is ready in about 20 or so years when I hit the age (hopefully) when I may have to worry about such issues, I'd be almost crazy not to wear such a device 24/7 as would most people.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 03:59 AM   #44
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Like most others here I wear my AW mostly to track workouts. But honestly if I didn't love watches so much I'd wear it 24/7, quite literally (track sleep at night). I find it quite useful, I like carrying my phone in my pockets so I enjoy checking/responding quickly to texts or even calls via my watch without taking my phone out. Also paying for stuff.

Notwithstanding all that, I do have to wonder if a "real" watch is on borrowed time. Mostly due to the health features they keep cramming into these things (although ironically Apple had to remove the blood oxygen monitor due to patent infringement, hope that gets sorted). Rumor is they are working on a BP monitor.

Tech keeps advancing, I don't think it's farfetched to imagine a day these things could literally save people's lives (I mean they have already) by maybe detecting an impending heart attack or stroke or other health issue. If this tech is ready in about 20 or so years when I hit the age (hopefully) when I may have to worry about such issues, I'd be almost crazy not to wear such a device 24/7 as would most people.
Why not wear both, i do it all the time. One on the left and one on the right. It is also a conversation starter because people are always asking me why i wear two watches. My standard reply is, i only wear one watch and one health tracker. And then we talk about my real watch.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 05:16 AM   #45
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
I wear 2 watches. Rolex on the left Apple on the right.
I would do this with an Apple Watch
2 wrists = 2 devices
Haha
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 05:36 AM   #46
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Confession time,Apple Ultra watch.

The day after they crack your chest open and surgically repair your heart, you’re going to love your Apple Watch.

Like me, you’ll still love and wear mechanical watches, but you’ll want an Apple Watch laying around even if it’s only used for a very specific set of use cases.

That’s what happened to me. I use it for bike riding, workouts and heart monitoring. But I still mostly wear my traditional mechanical watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:01 AM   #47
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Confession time,Apple Ultra watch.

I’ve had a couple Apple watches that I usedfor running and working out. I’ve since switched to a Garmin epix pro, which for me is better than an Apple Watch. That is If you don’t want to make calls. The mapping and data and battery life is so much better. I do a lot of trail running in remote places and having a reliable map that I can actually see is priceless. I wear it as much as my Rolex’s In fact, sometimes I wear it more. I feel a little guilty, leaving my nice watches behind, but the Garmin is so convenient. I keep thinking about selling off some of my pieces since I’m not wearing them that often. I’m 59 years old, retired. I want to spend more time out doing epic things while I can so the Garmin just makes sense.
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:55 AM   #48
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I don't want a watch I have to regularly charge a battery to keep it running. I'll tolerate changing the battery every two or three years in a quartz watch, but charging every couple of days? Nope.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:50 AM   #49
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

My Apple Watch Ultra gets a good portion of my wrist time. Many hate, I happen to love it.
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 02:32 PM   #50
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
I wear 2 watches. Rolex on the left Apple on the right.
I did that, for seven years. Loved the utility of the Apple watch, and the look of the Rolex.

This summer at the beach, I impulsively gave my latest Apple watch to my niece. Never looked back. I miss the health metrics, and the ability to glance at a notification without pulling my phone out of my pocket. But I felt getting rid of the Apple watch somehow made my 2023 retirement "Official" in a way I can't explain.

I guess because I can ignore notifications now. Many is the day that I go to bed and when I go to put my iPhone on DND, I realize I never took it off DND that day!!!
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 06:53 PM   #51
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
i use the so called smart-watch breed only when I'm on my bikes, skiing or hiking, I do so to track my endurance and exercises other than that it's always a mechanical watch on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingranch View Post
I cheated. I have been stupid. I am full of regret. I am sorry.

About a month ago I purchased an Apple Watch Ultra 2 and thought I would give it a whirl. It’s been a month almost to the day. The AWU made me also go to the optometrist and get a better prescription so I can see the Ultra better and use it more. Did not have the impact that I thought. Way to many distractions, plus when I am with someone I do want to engage with them not a watch.

So I pulled my DSSD out of the safe today and strapped it on for the first time in a month. All I can say is I am so happy I got new glasses, this watch is amazing!

So my advice is do not go to the dark side!

What was I thinking?