The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 November 2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Mort
"TRF" Member

Decided aginst Ulysse and went Zenith

This past weekend I went to my favorite dealer to look at some watches I have been concidering. It is a strange group of choices, but to me they were all interesting watches.

The three I had in mind was the Ulysse Nardin Quadrado, The Zenith Chronomaster Open XXT and the Cartier Roadster Chronograph.

The UN was really nice, I liked the fact it was a dual time and had the large date, but it did not really make me want to walk out with it.

The Roadster was a hard choice as I liked the look and the fact you could change the bracelet out to a strap very easy. Still I have a Santos and felt one Cartier in my collection was enough.

Then there was the Zenith. There was something about this watch that really attracted me. I have always felt that most of the Zenith line is wierd and too avante quard, especially the defy line. But the Chronomaster XXT was just interesting enough to make my descision. There are a couple of reasons I choose the Zenith.

First was the movement. It has the El Primero movement and I was drawn to a watch with an in house movement. Second was the design. I was not sure I would like the open face from some of the images I have seen, but in person it looks really nice and I love seeing the smooth movement work when I look down at it.. Last is I like the case and fit and finish. At 45mm it is large but wears pretty comfortable on the wrist.

Anyway I will try to post some images of it when I can master my camera not to get too much reflection on the dial. Here is a picture from the dealers site of the watch.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2008, 11:52 PM   #2
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
I love Zenith, even though they've gone a bit weird with the defy range the basic principles are still there with the open range, the T range is nice and something i do like.

Anyway enjoy the watch, the main thing about buying Zenith is that you know you're getting a well made watch, one of the best made movements and it'll always look nice on the wrist.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2008, 05:05 AM   #3
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Nice looking watch Mort,congratulations.
I like the partial open face.
Old 12 November 2008, 05:09 AM   #4
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
congrats, i think that zenith looks sweet, and the el primero is awesome (smooth sweep and all). you can always get a un later if you fancy.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2008, 05:17 AM   #5
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
congrats, i think that zenith looks sweet, and the el primero is awesome (smooth sweep and all). you can always get a un later if you fancy.
Thanks for the comments.

You are right about the second hand, it sweeps almost like it is electric.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Old 12 November 2008, 09:44 AM   #6
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Nice looking watch and congrads Mort. Zenith makes some outstanding watches and great movements! Even though it is 45mm, I bet it wears a little smaller and is super comfy on the wrist due to the case design. A very nice addition to your collection!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Zenith equals great choice MORT!

I just picked up the Port Royale Grande with the El Primero Movement. It is one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 04:18 PM   #8
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Zenith is very beautiful..known forits amazing movements..its very beautiful...but I will have to say, Ulyssee has its place pretty high too :)...but I'd go for Zenith if I could...they smile at me ...good choice :D
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2008, 12:26 AM   #9
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Mort, just last weekend I was looking at watches and saw the Chronomaster XXT and fell in love. Would've bought it, too, except that the wife would've divorced me.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2008, 12:40 PM   #10
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
That is a nice looking watch Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2008, 02:51 PM   #11
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
This past weekend I went to my favorite dealer to look at some watches I have been concidering. It is a strange group of choices, but to me they were all interesting watches.

The three I had in mind was the Ulysse Nardin Quadrado, The Zenith Chronomaster Open XXT and the Cartier Roadster Chronograph.

The UN was really nice, I liked the fact it was a dual time and had the large date, but it did not really make me want to walk out with it.

The Roadster was a hard choice as I liked the look and the fact you could change the bracelet out to a strap very easy. Still I have a Santos and felt one Cartier in my collection was enough.

Then there was the Zenith. There was something about this watch that really attracted me. I have always felt that most of the Zenith line is wierd and too avante quard, especially the defy line. But the Chronomaster XXT was just interesting enough to make my descision. There are a couple of reasons I choose the Zenith.

First was the movement. It has the El Primero movement and I was drawn to a watch with an in house movement. Second was the design. I was not sure I would like the open face from some of the images I have seen, but in person it looks really nice and I love seeing the smooth movement work when I look down at it.. Last is I like the case and fit and finish. At 45mm it is large but wears pretty comfortable on the wrist.

Anyway I will try to post some images of it when I can master my camera not to get too much reflection on the dial. Here is a picture from the dealers site of the watch.
nice watch..this watch looks like its smiling back at you...
Old 18 November 2008, 12:07 AM   #12
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucengineer View Post
I just picked up the Port Royale Grande with the El Primero Movement. It is one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I had hoped my dealer had the Port Royal in his stock to see and compare. I like square watches and the grand is a really great looking watch.

I have to say in the week I have had my Zenith, I have been pretty much wearing it everyday. Thanks for your images.
Old 18 November 2008, 12:10 AM   #13
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
Mort, just last weekend I was looking at watches and saw the Chronomaster XXT and fell in love. Would've bought it, too, except that the wife would've divorced me.
My wife would of killed me if I had paid cash for it. I traded my TT DJ and a couple of bucks for mine. I am supposed to be on a watch buying moratorium. It has not worked out that good especailly since I bought a PO last month.
Old 18 November 2008, 11:10 AM   #14
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Nice Zenith. I agree that the defy is way out there in terms of styling but the Chronomaster XXT is a real beauty.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Blimms

Watch: Rolex/Breitling/BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

That is a beautiful timepiece. You made the right decision.
Blimms is offline   Reply With Quote