The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2024, 10:27 PM   #31
1665fan
"TRF" Member

It will sell…..I’m just waiting for time my AD wants to buy some older pieces for the CP0(they don’t have it yet)…..so I can get some get back lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 10:42 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is the CPO program. All of the speculation of putting the Secondary market out of business is just dreaming. These kind of prices make the Trusted Sellers prices look more than reasonable.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 10:45 PM   #33
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I would say that many Rolex buyers who see CPO prices think, “Whoa, when I get my XXX watch, it will be worth double what I paid. Cool! My spouse can’t argue with that.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 10:51 PM   #34
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
The real danger is that with CPO being so high margin and so potentially profitable, esp once they correct to a suitable premium above grey dealers, then there will be no incentive for Rolex or the ADs to return the market back to normal pre-2016 levels, probably the 2018-19 period of scarcity and demand is what they will be aiming for as the new market norm.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 11:12 PM   #35
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I wonder if the market is cooling off. I reached out to some local ADs to get a sense of how much I would get for my Sub Date and they were offering $9K to $10,500 much lower than I expected.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 11:21 PM   #36
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Buy reputable, then send to RSC for service and authentication and pay the additional $1k for your own CPO.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 04:35 AM   #37
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I wonder how many people are being fooled by the CPO program.

I guess I don’t see the concept of people being fooled by CPO. Some people love the hunt and finding whatever their personal version of The Best Deal is. There’s a huge amount of that that goes on here through the trusted sellers and it’s all good. And then there are other people who just want what they want and couldn’t give a shizzle about the last nickel. Some people are perfectly happy waiting for FedEx and some people are perfectly happy potentially paying more so they can walk out the door with what they want. Have those people been fooled or do they just not care about what the hunters care about? These are the intended targets of CPO. I used to work with an old motorcycle salesman who often said “there’s an a$$ for every seat”, a sentiment true in many other marketplaces.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:33 AM   #38
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I guess I don’t see the concept of people being fooled by CPO. Some people love the hunt and finding whatever their personal version of The Best Deal is. There’s a huge amount of that that goes on here through the trusted sellers and it’s all good. And then there are other people who just want what they want and couldn’t give a shizzle about the last nickel. Some people are perfectly happy waiting for FedEx and some people are perfectly happy potentially paying more so they can walk out the door with what they want. Have those people been fooled or do they just not care about what the hunters care about? These are the intended targets of CPO. I used to work with an old motorcycle salesman who often said “there’s an a$$ for every seat”, a sentiment true in many other marketplaces.

Agree on all points but for those buying CPO I think not trusting random grey market sellers is more of the motivation than not caring about saving money.

Same people that take their cars to the dealership for service after warranty when they can save a lot of money going to an independent. They think the official dealership has more credibility and less risk. Ironically, it’s often the opposite.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 06:09 AM   #39
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
I wonder if the market is cooling off. I reached out to some local ADs to get a sense of how much I would get for my Sub Date and they were offering $9K to $10,500 much lower than I expected.

Market has cooled off substantially. The used dealer advertised prices are no where near their buying price

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 08:34 AM   #40
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I’m guessing the currency quoted is in US dollars?
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 11:05 AM   #41
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
People gladly buy jewelry from
These stores at 400%+ markups. Why not a Rolex at 100%?
I’ll bet that’s what Rolex was thinking. Why not try to dominate the pre owned market as well? Knock off ADs doing back door deals…

I think they’ve overplayed their hand. Most watch buyers, especially long term enthusiasts, aren’t going pay such inflated prices. I’ll buy another brand diver before I pay an exuberant price for a watch like a CPO Hulk. Especially one that I previously owned for $7K!
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 12:35 PM   #42
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto737 View Post
I’ll bet that’s what Rolex was thinking. Why not try to dominate the pre owned market as well? Knock off ADs doing back door deals…

I think they’ve overplayed their hand. Most watch buyers, especially long term enthusiasts, aren’t going pay such inflated prices. I’ll buy another brand diver before I pay an exuberant price for a watch like a CPO Hulk. Especially one that I previously owned for $7K!

And remember those days? No one wanted them for 7k!!!

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 12:39 PM   #43
Olive Drab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpayne7571 View Post
Went by my local AD that I’ve only bought one watch with and told him if he had any Hulks come in on trade to call me as I’d be interested and he told me he had a CPO incoming and he would call once it came in. Well, he called today and told me it was a 2010 CPO and the price was 25,450! I told him I wasn’t expecting that much and told him I’d pass. I can buy a 2018 for 19,500 grey. Can’t believe someone would even think about paying that much for a 14yr old watch.
finks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
Over the holidays at the Roosevelt Field Mall up in LI the AD had a watch only plus CPO card w box for $24995.
Tourneau in Roosevelt Field was always a terrible place to shop going back to the early 2000s
Olive Drab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 09:34 AM   #44
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
And remember those days? No one wanted them for 7k!!!

I do!
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 02:32 PM   #45
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Hulk from grey is high risk - Hulk from CPO no risk. Add margin for that

Hulk from AD = relationship and purchase history . Add margin for that

Hulk from AD = Serviced by Rolex with 2 years warranty. Add margin for that

After that check if it's worth to pay about 25% over grey. For some it is worth it just for the peace of mind alone. In my opinion if ADs price CPO 15% over grey market, and adjust as grey falls or increase they will hit the grey market badly. Rolex may even force their ADs to do that in the future. An important thing is to differentiate the collectable models from the run of the mill models when going CPO. Future collectable models are worth going CPO within reasonable margin in my opinion.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 04:22 PM   #46
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
The market has been in decline for nearly 2 years!
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 04:41 PM   #47
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
Hulk from grey is high risk - Hulk from CPO no risk. Add margin for that

Hulk from AD = relationship and purchase history . Add margin for that

Hulk from AD = Serviced by Rolex with 2 years warranty. Add margin for that

After that check if it's worth to pay about 25% over grey. For some it is worth it just for the peace of mind alone. In my opinion if ADs price CPO 15% over grey market, and adjust as grey falls or increase they will hit the grey market badly. Rolex may even force their ADs to do that in the future. An important thing is to differentiate the collectable models from the run of the mill models when going CPO. Future collectable models are worth going CPO within reasonable margin in my opinion.
Some trusted grey dealers I certainly would buy the Hulk from, 2016 Model for £14,500 .. CPO was £19,950 for a 2011 model. I could pay for a service myself and still be quids in, so I’m not sure the CPO programme is worth it ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 04:42 PM   #48
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
Some trusted grey dealers I certainly would buy the Hulk from, 2016 Model for £14,500 .. CPO was £19,950 for a 2011 model. I could pay for a service myself and still be quids in, so I’m not sure the CPO programme is worth it ..
Still a lovely watch from wherever it’s bought from ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:31 PM   #49
OldLume
"TRF" Member

It’s a slow moving train but Rolex is on a major offensive strategy to protect its own product.
I don’t recall the exact numbers of but the most recent listings had Rolex sold fakes at over 30% on the East coast. These are fakes getting past jewelers and second handers, not some seeking a fake. You now have to exchange your bracelet, pulling AD’s, purchasing Bucherer…
In a lot of ways they are trapped and as with all theft in any form….we all pay. I think it’s going to hurt for a good long while as they transition into a new way of doing business. Pretty sure HW never imagines his watches a major source of laundering drug money or the land of the super fakes.
OldLume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:56 PM   #50
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

A tough one to swallow. I think they're having a laugh.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 01:20 AM   #51
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
I actually find the CPO to be extremely useful.

1) I know for a fact that my watch hasn’t been stolen. Your “trusted” sellers have no clue. They cannot verify whether a watch has been stolen or not, as they do not have access to Rolex’s stolen registry.

2) It comes fully serviced from Rolex. For me, this is great!

3) It will have received a full RSC polish. Again, for me this is great. I’ve seen some absolutely horrible polish jobs in the past, some of which were sold by “trusted” sellers. Some at discounts, some not.

4) Nice touch to have a CPO receipt.

At the end of the day, it’s just money. I’d spend an additional $5k to eliminate any concerns around authenticity, ownership, and workmanship of the mechanism and appearance. All that alone is worth some extra $.

Ultimately, however, Rolex hype has turned me off to Rolex completely. No purchases on the horizon. But if there were, I’d check out CPO before buying.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 01:41 AM   #52
EzraPound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I actually find the CPO to be extremely useful.

1) I know for a fact that my watch hasn’t been stolen. Your “trusted” sellers have no clue. They cannot verify whether a watch has been stolen or not, as they do not have access to Rolex’s stolen registry.

2) It comes fully serviced from Rolex. For me, this is great!
You bring up a couple of points I hope the Rolex gurus can clarify for me.

1) technically we only know that Rolex has no record of the watch being stolen; there is no way Rolex can definitively state the CPO watch is not stolen rather Rolex can only state the watch has not been reported as stolen to Rolex.

2) can anyone direct me to an explicit statement from Rolex that each CPO watch is "serviced"; my understanding is the CPO watch is inspected but not always necessarily serviced per se. Is "inspected" the same as "serviced" in CPO jargon?

Thank you.

EzraPound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 01:22 PM   #53
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraPound View Post

1) technically we only know that Rolex has no record of the watch being stolen; there is no way Rolex can definitively state the CPO watch is not stolen rather Rolex can only state the watch has not been reported as stolen to Rolex.

2) can anyone direct me to an explicit statement from Rolex that each CPO watch is "serviced"; my understanding is the CPO watch is inspected but not always necessarily serviced per se. Is "inspected" the same as "serviced" in CPO jargon?

Thank you.

Semantics. I’d only be worried about buying someone’s watch that would later be confiscated at a Rolex service. Again, this is moot when buying CPO.

According to the Rolex CPO site “guarantees its proper functioning for a period of two years from this date, in accordance with the guarantee manual.” So I might have spread false news, even though I was told it was a full service by a CPO AD. Still, having a two-year warranty would be worth it to me.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 07:58 PM   #54
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraPound View Post

Thank you.

I can help with this one.

To answer point 1, no system will ever be 100% effective when it comes to reported stolen watches, but Rolex's system is absolutely the best out there. There have been instances where watches have come up as clean on third-party reporting systems that have been reported as stolen on Rolex's database.

As for number 2, it depends. If the watch is under the original sales warranty or is under the terms of Rolex's service warranty, more often than not a service will be unneccessary. Of course, it will depend on how it has been worn, and if the watch is running outside of tolerances, the watch will be serviced. Each one will be refurbished by the AD's service centre at a minimum before returning to Rolex for certification. You are then covered by the new two-year RCPO warranty.

I hope this answers your questions,

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 08:27 PM   #55
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Watch: DATEJUST 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I wonder how many people are being fooled by the CPO program.

So when I was still looking for my 'first' in December, I visited a Rolex AD in Scottsdale AZ , near my home. First off, even though I went 'dressed to impress' I guess Impressed no one, including the guard. My bad for wearing a Citizen ProMaster ( THE BEST watch for travel) and not cheap at about $1000 ( Titanium Blue Angels Ed).

Anyway, no one would even acknowledge me in the main boutique, but finally a saleslady in the 'low class area' you know CPO's, Tudur, etc, took pity and started pitching the CPO's. They were so overpriced, I actually started laughing when she would give me a price.

I left there, and went to one of the most expensive jewelry stores in Scottsdale, which my research shoed had about 40 used, 'Certified ( third party) and bought my 2021 DJ41 with full kit including tags, etc, for 800 over msrp for a new watch. Never worn, not a scratch ( no mo) and dats ny CPO story. BIG ripoff!
azhiker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:48 PM   #56
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
While I agree that the big TRF trusted sellers aren’t immune from peddling fakes, there is some peace of mind in that they offer an authenticity guarantee. I’ve never seen a time limit on this, and I imagine that they are not going to want to ruin their reputation by failing to refund a purchase if it is eventually proven inauthentic.

That said…. $25,450 before tax for a 15 year old Hulk? That would make me angry. And you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:45 PM   #57
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
While I agree that the big TRF trusted sellers aren’t immune from peddling fakes, there is some peace of mind in that they offer an authenticity guarantee. I’ve never seen a time limit on this, and I imagine that they are not going to want to ruin their reputation by failing to refund a purchase if it is eventually proven inauthentic.

That said…. $25,450 before tax for a 15 year old Hulk? That would make me angry. And you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.
well done, lol
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote