The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8 March 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
snaggle

Watch: SubC, DJII, Omegas
Rolex Sky-Dweller will NEVER be in Stainless Steel

Well, I've seen a lot of talk mentioning "When the SKD is in SS, ill buy it, etc..." And it seems to me that quite a few people think its possible that the SKD will be produced in SS.

Point of the fact is, it will never happen. For many reasons. I am 100% sure, but hard to explain exactly why, but ill try my best.

#1. The SKD has a fluted bezel. Fluted is ALWAYS precious metal - no such thing as SS fluted bezel. So for starters, the least it could possible be is SS with WG bezel.

#2 The SKD could be considered as Rolexes "Grand complications" And the new benchmark or flagship model of Rolex, so if they were to introduce it in SS, they would do it for the Day Date first, then the SKD.

#3 Do you really think Rolex would make a watch with those complications in SS?

#4 If it were in SS (keep in mind it must have a WG bezel at least) it would be VERY similar in looks to the DateJust II, very similar. This would consider it to be a competitor or comparable to the DJII - wont work good for marketing - I can't really explain this point really well but if you know/ studied marketing very well, you will know this automatically. (Basically, either spend $30-$50k for the SKD, or whatever it will cost, or if you want it in SS, then buy the DJII, and tough luck)

#5 Back to the part of flagship model being the SKD. If Rolex were to make it in SS, it would depreciate its imagine or "degrade" would be the appropriate word, and again - its to do with marketing, won't look good for the SKD.

#6 Very important point : If it were in SS, then it will look almost IDENTICAL to the WG model - again, no way this will work out for marketing - nobody will buy the WG. Same reason why they wont make a SS BLUE Submariner.

Basically the same reasons why the DD/DDII is only produced in precious metal - you will never see a SS DD/DDII, same for the SKD, it won't happen.

Im not trying to break anyones hopes if they thought it would come out in SS. Im just stating the obvious. (Im a marketing guy and do have interest in this too )
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote