The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 July 2011, 08:35 PM   #31
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
It's just so nice to have options. Rolex was my first luxury watch and my favorite brand. Panerai watches have a different look, and something very unique unto themselves.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 09:29 PM   #32
texex91
"TRF" Member

I have both and I love both. Had Rolex for 25+ years and great watches. Looks good, feels good, keeps great time. I keep buying and flipping, but stick to the classic Sub (C now). Easy to dress up or down. Sub's are a dime a dozen, so changing it up with something like a Panerai is perfect to me.

My Panerai 351 has a Titanium case which makes it extremely light, very comfortable and has a very distinct look. I find myself wearing the PAM on the weekends a lot and starting to work it's way into weekday rotation several days. Very large watch (see pics vs. Sub C below), but very manageable and gets noticed. Have until Aug 1st before Panerai's next price increase (about 10% in US)...go get one!

Just my .02.

texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 09:31 PM   #33
errol0_7
"TRF" Member

Watch: them come and go
I have had a few Panerai models but none stuck so that says something! I do miss the Radomir though and would like a 233 at some stage. However when I have had them they stay in the safe as my wrist likes the Rolex!
YM 40 126622 Rhodium
IWC Portugieser Automatic 40.4mm - Pink dial
errol0_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:35 PM   #34
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
I was doing some research on this subject and thought I'd revive this old thread. Has anything changed since 2011? I've been looking at the 654 chrono and 233 GMT. I've never tried on a panerai, but I like the look of these two. Has reliability and resale value improved for the pams?

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:37 PM   #35
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
To me panerai is closer to breitling, omega, tudor than rolex. I think resale has gotten worse. Check out panerai subforum.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:51 PM   #36
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai is its own thing. Finished to perfection and a look unlike anything else and is THE most versatile strap changing watch. Panerai straps are expensive and you will own many because there is so many different looks you get out of one watch with a strap change.
Resale value is not really a measure of quality. There are too many outside factors like popularity, name recognition, brand control, etc that factor into resale value that have nothing to do with the overall build quality of a watch.
I find Rolex and Panerai go great together like a Porsche and Ferrari in the garage. They don’t look anything alike but do have a look that can’t really be copied by anyone else successfully. Too many brand “x” vs brand “z” when the real answers is both “x” and “z”. I will say buy a Panerai pre owned and you will never loose any money and probably make a bit if you do flip in a few years but that is the wrong reason to buy a luxury watch. IMO. The Panerist community is very loyal and hard core so the brand has a solid (cult like) following. Panerai has some of the best forgery watches out there and like Rolex, knock offs are shockingly real looking. You have to really be careful if you buy second hand. Boxes, papers, tags, etc gets unbelievable attention in these higher end forgery watches. A complete set is a necessity when buying a pre owned Panerai much like a Rolex. Panerai is a sickness like Rolex.

Panerai has a more elaborate box/tag system than Rolex and every piece is important for resale and authentication.

Old 17 December 2017, 12:55 PM   #37
WJGESQ
Banned

Never really "got the heritage" or claim to fame of panerai--omega has the moon. Rolex has Everest.

Panerai has? The Italian navy? Rocky?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 01:24 PM   #38
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I've had four pams and really tried to love them but it is short lived and had to flip every one. I've had five Rolex's and still own four because they just feel timeless in their design and really easy to love em. Hold their value better too!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 01:38 PM   #39
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
Panerai on ETA, reliable watch.
Panerai with in-house movement. meh...
Rolex with in-house movement, reliable watch.
nursejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 01:41 PM   #40
nick c
Banned

I still own Rolex and also Panerai, love them both equally.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 01:57 PM   #41
Jdreg
"TRF" Member

I have 3 Rolex. Will never understand the attraction to Panerai. That coming from an Italian.
Jdreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 02:04 PM   #42
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Panerai has some great watches, particularly the Radiomir, Radiomir 1940 and Luminor 1950 lines in 47mm. My favorites are the time-only versions that harken back to the time when Panerai had a very close association to Rolex.

Panerai has some duds, but so does Rolex. I think Rolex and Panerai complement each other very well.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 02:11 PM   #43
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

I think Rolex and Panerai complement each other very well.
Yup, Rolex and Panerai don’t even come close to looking similar and go hand in hand in a collection. I find both extremely beautiful in what they do.
Old 17 December 2017, 03:15 PM   #44
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Yup, Rolex and Panerai don’t even come close to looking similar and go hand in hand in a collection. I find both extremely beautiful in what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 03:24 PM   #45
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Perfect opposites make for great relationships. In this case at least.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 03:55 PM   #46
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Panerai is its own thing. Finished to perfection and a look unlike anything else and is THE most versatile strap changing watch. Panerai straps are expensive and you will own many because there is so many different looks you get out of one watch with a strap change.
Resale value is not really a measure of quality. There are too many outside factors like popularity, name recognition, brand control, etc that factor into resale value that have nothing to do with the overall build quality of a watch.
I find Rolex and Panerai go great together like a Porsche and Ferrari in the garage. They don’t look anything alike but do have a look that can’t really be copied by anyone else successfully. Too many brand “x” vs brand “z” when the real answers is both “x” and “z”. I will say buy a Panerai pre owned and you will never loose any money and probably make a bit if you do flip in a few years but that is the wrong reason to buy a luxury watch. IMO. The Panerist community is very loyal and hard core so the brand has a solid (cult like) following. Panerai has some of the best forgery watches out there and like Rolex, knock offs are shockingly real looking. You have to really be careful if you buy second hand. Boxes, papers, tags, etc gets unbelievable attention in these higher end forgery watches. A complete set is a necessity when buying a pre owned Panerai much like a Rolex. Panerai is a sickness like Rolex.

Panerai has a more elaborate box/tag system than Rolex and every piece is important for resale and authentication.

That is a a stunner you have there! And I definitely like the strap versatility and case accessories. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejm View Post
Panerai on ETA, reliable watch.
Panerai with in-house movement. meh...
Rolex with in-house movement, reliable watch.
This is my main concern. It's hard for me to justify spending a good amount of cash on an ETA movement in an attractive case. I have an FC with in-house movement and it's been very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post
Perfect opposites make for great relationships. In this case at least.
This is very true. Makes me think I'll probably stay on the Rolex journey until I have what I want before venturing off to Panerai.

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 04:37 PM   #47
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have both, prefer Rolex, but since I love variety in my collection, i will always keep multiple brands.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 05:05 PM   #48
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I have both and love both. As they are so very different in looks and appearance, they can happily co-exist in any collection.

As a by-the-by, I wear watches that I love to wear; I have no real interest in resale value, I don’t wear them to court attention and I couldn’t care less what others think. My Panerais have received far more compliments (lost count) than my Rolex (none, outside of AD).

Here’s my three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7426B2EC-4488-4320-A9AA-38F88DB93778.jpeg (284.7 KB, 376 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 07:08 PM   #49
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Great comments here. I am a recent convert after 20 years of vintage/modern Rolex/Tudor. They are apples and pears, but they both go into a fruit salad! (Not a great analogy). Finding the right Panerai is the key. It's always going to be big, but if it fits, well it just fits. Mine is a 44mm manual Luminor base. They all tell the time, but how they tell it is the difference. Love changing between them.
Old 17 December 2017, 07:29 PM   #50
teo
"TRF" Member

Panerai is dead. The company produced too many limited edition.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 08:19 PM   #51
Xerxes77
Banned

Panerai it’s a nice watch bu Rolex is Rolex
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 08:27 PM   #52
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
What a well thought-out, intelligent post. Care to elaborate with some facts to back that up?

Discounts on brand new pieces and soft re-sale values on the used market won't cut it. If that were the case, Omega and Breitling would be dead also. And they wouldn't be the only ones

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 09:16 PM   #53
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for this
Old 17 December 2017, 09:47 PM   #54
teo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
What a well thought-out, intelligent post. Care to elaborate with some facts to back that up?

Discounts on brand new pieces and soft re-sale values on the used market won't cut it. If that were the case, Omega and Breitling would be dead also. And they wouldn't be the only ones
Look at the resale market.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 10:01 PM   #55
Jackey tam
"TRF" Member

Watch: es, I like
I feel like Panerai watches are more for beating on (heavy rugged use), whereas rolex are more diving although panerai practically started the diver watch
Jackey tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 10:14 PM   #56
moesalty
"TRF" Member

They will never replace Rolex for me. That being said, I love my Panerai's and enjoy changing straps over and over more than I should! Lol
moesalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 11:30 PM   #57
nick c
Banned

Quote:

You have no idea about watches,before you say crap about Panerai go and learn there history, I’m sure you don’t even own a Rolex to start with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 11:59 PM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I have both and love both. As they are so very different in looks and appearance, they can happily co-exist in any collection.

As a by-the-by, I wear watches that I love to wear; I have no real interest in resale value, I don’t wear them to court attention and I couldn’t care less what others think. My Panerais have received far more compliments (lost count) than my Rolex (none, outside of AD).

Here’s my three.
3 beauties right there Paul

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 12:01 AM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Panerai forum here seems to be pretty healthy, so think the brand is doing fine.

Paul's blue dial above is very nice, I'm gonna try one on next time I'm in town.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 12:03 AM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I own and love both brands.

I'd been looking for something different than Rolex for quite some time. I sort of rotated through most of the Rolex popular sport models and frankly became a bit bored.

Then I stumbled on this one ... I'm so glad I took the leap into the Panerai brand.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote