The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2024, 05:46 AM   #1
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Your reviews on AP ceramic

Hi all, AP is well known to craft beautiful ceramic timepieces. However, I've only seen photos of them and not in real life. Would appreciate inputs from those who have handled them in person. Very keen to hear feedback how it feels to hold one in your hand or on your wrist. Does it look as good as in photos? Does it feel cheap due to the weight? Will the novelty wear off as time passes?
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 06:28 AM   #2
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
They’re amazing. Light but definitely feel high quality as you’d expect from AP.
Narbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 06:31 AM   #3
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Ceramic AP's are amazing in person. It's lightweight, but you can see and feel the quality. They do the best ceramic in the business.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 06:43 AM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have the OG diver. I love it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 06:59 AM   #5
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Well finished ceramic. But I am not really a fan of AP ceramic. Still think the best APs are made in SS or WG/RG.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 07:05 AM   #6
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

As you can see in the other thread, it really comes down to personal preference and what you equate to quality and luxury.

For me, the “weight” is important and honestly, that’s the only knock on ceramic. I love the way that it looks with AP brushing and the fact that it is extremely scratched resistant is a huge plus. But the flipside is that it’s so light. It just doesn’t feel as robust to me.
Old 20 April 2024, 09:31 AM   #7
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
Hi all, AP is well known to craft beautiful ceramic timepieces. However, I've only seen photos of them and not in real life. Would appreciate inputs from those who have handled them in person. Very keen to hear feedback how it feels to hold one in your hand or on your wrist. Does it look as good as in photos? Does it feel cheap due to the weight? Will the novelty wear off as time passes?

Love them - they are a unique specialty of AP - and the fundamental difference vs other brands is the quality of the finishing.

I personally love the fact that they are indeed lighter, cooler, and way more scratch resistant than their metal versions - to the extent where watches worn heavily over 5 years don't look any different. I also enjoy that the black ceramic models are incredibly understated, and are not immediately recognizable.

And finally, they are incredibly rare birds. You definitely see your share of different metals, but ceramic versions are much more exclusive. I won't speculate what this means for the future in terms of value or novelty in the long term - but I love the fact that they will literally be in nearly pristine condition as long as I live - and while other watches look better as they age (vintage Rolex and Patek), I like that I have pieces which will stay modern to eternity. I know I might get flamed for this comparison - but it's nearly 100 years since Mies der Rohe created the Barcelona chair - and it still looks damn modern and luxurious.

Here are three black ones in the current family! Love them all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:08 AM   #8
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
Love them - they are a unique specialty of AP - and the fundamental difference vs other brands is the quality of the finishing.

I personally love the fact that they are indeed lighter, cooler, and way more scratch resistant than their metal versions - to the extent where watches worn heavily over 5 years don't look any different. I also enjoy that the black ceramic models are incredibly understated, and are not immediately recognizable.

And finally, they are incredibly rare birds. You definitely see your share of different metals, but ceramic versions are much more exclusive. I won't speculate what this means for the future in terms of value or novelty in the long term - but I love the fact that they will literally be in nearly pristine condition as long as I live - and while other watches look better as they age (vintage Rolex and Patek), I like that I have pieces which will stay modern to eternity. I know I might get flamed for this comparison - but it's nearly 100 years since Mies der Rohe created the Barcelona chair - and it still looks damn modern and luxurious.

These are all yours?
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:20 AM   #9
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't see any pictures here. Is it just me?
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:37 AM   #10
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
These are all yours?

Lucky to have them. Also had the first Perpetual but got rid of it because I had purchased it grey. Went fully AD afterwards :)

Looking forward to what's next!

Old 20 April 2024, 11:01 AM   #11
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

Quote:
Lucky to have them. Also had the first Perpetual but got rid of it because I had purchased it grey. Went fully AD afterwards :)

Looking forward to what's next!

When I grow up I wanna be just like you!!!
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 11:13 AM   #12
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
When I grow up I wanna be just like you!!!

Spending too much on watches? It's a sickness and a black hole that is hard to escape! But for some (including me) some of the most satisfying moments in my life :) As the Rolex CEO shares, they represent the last line of purely mechanical marvels!

Old 20 April 2024, 11:34 AM   #13
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spending too much on watches? It's a sickness and a black hole that is hard to escape! But for some (including me) some of the most satisfying moments in my life :) As the Rolex CEO shares, they represent the last line of purely mechanical marvels!

Agreed. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Here is our pair of black ceramics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231125_153139.jpg (161.5 KB, 512 views)
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 20 April 2024, 12:06 PM   #14
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Agreed. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Here is our pair of black ceramics.

Amazing - Mr and Mrs Ceramic!!

Old 20 April 2024, 12:17 PM   #15
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
I don't see any pictures here. Is it just me?
Me too.
Old 20 April 2024, 12:36 PM   #16
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me too.
Odd, I see the pictures - like this one:

AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 12:49 PM   #17
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me too.

Will take a new photo tomorrow AM of the family :)

Old 20 April 2024, 12:50 PM   #18
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post

Damn! Outstanding combo.

Old 20 April 2024, 02:01 PM   #19
Audevache
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried on the 41 ceramic chrono during a visit to Le Brassus, but 41 and black looks massive on my wrist. So I’m waiting for a 39mm ceramic (or sand gold….).

My wife loves her 34mm black ceramic, her entire Rolex collection pretty much hasn’t left the safety storage since she got this one. It is the perfect daily driver as it is really scratch resistant.

It is truly quiet luxury, it flies under the radar unless you look closer and see all the amazing details of the bracelet and dial. Plus, she is a fashionista and wears black a lot.
Old 20 April 2024, 02:09 PM   #20
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Love it! Is your wife's a Bucci edition?
Old 20 April 2024, 05:01 PM   #21
Armis
"TRF" Member

Regarding the concerns or turn-offs of ceramic’s light weight, the larger AP ROO ceramic pieces definitely feel substantial on the wrist in contrast to the ceramic RO models.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 07:24 PM   #22
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

What about in the long run? Will owners get bored easily compared to traditional materials such as steel or gold?
Old 20 April 2024, 11:02 PM   #23
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Your reviews on AP ceramic

Quote:
I’ve tried on the 41 ceramic chrono during a visit to Le Brassus, but 41 and black looks massive on my wrist. So I’m waiting for a 39mm ceramic (or sand gold….).

My wife loves her 34mm black ceramic, her entire Rolex collection pretty much hasn’t left the safety storage since she got this one. It is the perfect daily driver as it is really scratch resistant.

It is truly quiet luxury, it flies under the radar unless you look closer and see all the amazing details of the bracelet and dial. Plus, she is a fashionista and wears black a lot.

My wife agrees with your wife's choices! She has a nice collection of other brands and even other AP's, but she wears her Black and White Ceramic 34mm the most! Most of her other watches are scratched to death (as she wears bracelets frequently) and the two are as perfect as when she bought them.

For me, I tend to travel either with my Titanium piece or with my Ceramic Beast. The beast does wear more substantially than my other pieces, but is about the same size and weight of a SD, or any precious metal RO. And it's understated, scratch resistant, and just so cool!

Good luck with your 39mm wishlist! I'm crossing fingers for something special in 2025 :)

Old 20 April 2024, 11:08 PM   #24
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Ok does this photo work?

Anyway here's a little ceramic love. Crossing fingers for something in 2025 but me and my wife are big fans of ceramic! And honestly, I wear Ceramic and Titanium equally in my dailies. My wife only wears ceramic these days because she has two colours covered! Lucky her.

I wish they had this material in more colour choices - I was a big fan of Cermet when it was out. Still dreaming about a Ceramic Jumbo

Old 20 April 2024, 11:15 PM   #25
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wife agrees with your wife's choices! She has a nice collection of other brands and even other AP's, but she wears her Black and White Ceramic 34mm the most! Most of her other watches are scratched to death (as she wears bracelets frequently) and the two are as perfect as when she bought them.

For me, I tend to travel either with my Titanium piece or with my Ceramic Beast. The beast does wear more substantially than my other pieces, but is about the same size and weight of a SD, or any precious metal RO. And it's understated, scratch resistant, and just so cool!

Good luck with your 39mm wishlist! I'm crossing fingers for something special in 2025 :)

Thanks, still enjoying my 16202 so far, but some other non steel version in 39 would be perfect. Maybe a 39 ceramic openwork, similar to the WG jumbo skeleton that was just released earlier this year.

Interesting thought about the white ceramic for my better half. Haven't seen it in the flesh yet. Will have to ask my AD.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:27 PM   #26
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, still enjoying my 16202 so far, but some other non steel version in 39 would be perfect. Maybe a 39 ceramic openwork, similar to the WG jumbo skeleton that was just released earlier this year.

Interesting thought about the white ceramic for my better half. Haven't seen it in the flesh yet. Will have to ask my AD.

Ceramic open work off the 16204 design would be outstanding!

Old 21 April 2024, 09:57 AM   #27
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Love it! Is your wife's a Bucci edition?
Indeed it is

AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 11:31 AM   #28
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed it is

Nice! We missed out on it. By the time we asked for the ceramic for the wife, Bucci allocations were already finished.
Old 21 April 2024, 10:18 PM   #29
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed it is

Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:20 AM   #30
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
I love my ceramic offshore (not full black ceramic, it does have yellow gold accents). Was initially mildly concerned it might be too light, but it feels substantial on my wrist (could be due to the yellow gold)!

The way the AP brushed finish looks in black ceramic is something I don’t think I’ll ever personally get tired of.

neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote