The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 14 July 2014, 04:19 AM   #1
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Surprising Amount of Stupid Questions/Comments on RF; WHY?

Hello All

Flame suit on!

I enjoy reading the watch info that can be found on this forum...lots of good information

But the more I come the more I notice idiotic questions coming from people who shouldn't care that much. It simply works this way; if you love it and can afford it buy it!

Each Rolex watch was built for a purpose.

Should I dive with my Sub(including SD and DSSD)?: YES YOU CAN GET IT WET AND YES YOU CAN DIVE WITH IT(assuming your watch has good seals and has passed a recent pressure check; and isn't too 'vintage').

When should I take the stickers/tags off the watch or being upset about scratches?: Really guys...really...wear it love it and use it. Bottom line is the watch will get scratched, will get dummy marks on it, and will get wet; they were designed to be used and the marks on them are what give each of them a unique story (your story).

People who keep the stickers on their watch are just as idiotic as the people who keep the stickers and tags on their cloths and think its cool; just my opinion.

Is it too big for me?: Come on man really...go to the store, put one one and if the lugs are hanging off the sides of your wrist then yeah its probably too big. BUT, it's only too big if YOU think it's too big so put it on and if you love it and can afford it; buy it! For me the DSSD is just too thick for me...42mm max on my skinny wrists; 40mm is perfect IMHO.

eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:21 AM   #2
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Can only agree.
Old 14 July 2014, 04:28 AM   #3
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Guess you just need to take the good posts with the bad ones is all.

Even though some posts are silly, you may be able to extract a nugget or two of useful information.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Why surprised?

It's called Crowd Sourcing Your Anxieties. Social Media is the perfect platform to share your angst and have it heard.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:30 AM   #5
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
I can understand wondering about many of these questions, but over the years, I have found that we all operate under different paradigms, and as such, for these folks, the questions often are legitimate in their minds. We here have the opportunity to help educate folks about the brand, and to share with them our thoughts and considerations about size, use, scratches, "safety" and the like. One thing I liked about TRF was that a bit of the ironic aside, the membership was by and large kind, and helpful, and willing to share their love of the watch with others, "silly' questions aside.

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:31 AM   #6
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you don't enjoy the posts here you are not forced to read them! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:34 AM   #7
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16550
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
Hello All

Flame suit on!

I enjoy reading the watch info that can be found on this forum...lots of good information

But the more I come the more I notice idiotic questions coming from people who shouldn't care that much. It simply works this way; if you love it and can afford it buy it!

Each Rolex watch was built for a purpose.

Should I dive with my Sub(including SD and DSSD)?: YES YOU CAN GET IT WET AND YES YOU CAN DIVE WITH IT(assuming your watch has good seals and has passed a recent pressure check; and isn't too 'vintage').

When should I take the stickers/tags off the watch or being upset about scratches?: Really guys...really...wear it love it and use it. Bottom line is the watch will get scratched, will get dummy marks on it, and will get wet; they were designed to be used and the marks on them are what give each of them a unique story (your story).

People who keep the stickers on their watch are just as idiotic as the people who keep the stickers and tags on their cloths and think its cool; just my opinion.

Is it too big for me?: Come on man really...go to the store, put one one and if the lugs are hanging off the sides of your wrist then yeah its probably too big. BUT, it's only too big if YOU think it's too big so put it on and if you love it and can afford it; buy it! For me the DSSD is just too thick for me...42mm max on my skinny wrists; 40mm is perfect IMHO.

Wow really!!!

Maybe you're just too smart and perfect for us and should start your own forum.

There is no such thng as a stupid or idiotic question when someone is looking for an opinion, an answer or just trying educate themselves.
We are all here for the common love of Rolex and most of us seek advice or support from our fellow members and most of us gladly give it without making anyone feel stupid or unaccepted.

Everyone here should be a welcome addition to the forum family and know they have a place amongst friends and like minded people.
We all start our journey with Rolex at the same point knowing very little and trying to gain knowledge through understanding and education and how we move forward is to ask questions of those who have that knowledge and experience.

Maybe you're just too good for us

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
ExplorerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:35 AM   #8
jack81
"TRF" Member

I agree with 2 posts above me
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:38 AM   #9
Dokbrick
"TRF" Member

I personally enjoy the panic attack driven threads about scratched bracelets and watch cases.

Aside from the tedium of the constant one-upping and silly questions, there is a lot of valuable information and insight to be found.
Old 14 July 2014, 04:43 AM   #10
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Just ignore the threads if it annoys you. I remember in the early stages of watch ownership, I was terrified I'd screw the movement over if do something wrong with it - all over it now:) and the first scratch is the worst.

We all have to start somewhere

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:44 AM   #11
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

This is an open forum and there is room for everyone. I enjoy almost everyone's threads. Some of us have more experience/history with the hobby than others but no reason to bash others. Best.
Old 14 July 2014, 04:48 AM   #12
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I too really enjoy the stupid questions. And boy are there a lot of them!
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:52 AM   #13
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

One more thread for me to read.

Oh goody.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:54 AM   #14
nick c
Banned

We all different some slow and some fast
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:58 AM   #15
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Surprising Amount of Stupid Questions/Comments on RF; WHY?

Like this thread? This thread is similar when you can't understand that everyone is different and not every Rolex owner is a WIS, they will go through that stages of beginner's doubts/clarifications to becoming a sort of expert.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 05:00 AM   #16
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Now I think I see why the questions are asked so often...when someone like me makes an observation and post about it my post gets moved.

Now the "silly questions" posts get to stay in the main forum...

Should all post like mine and posts that I am referring to be moved to the same place?

Technically they would be appropriately binned in this forum...
Old 14 July 2014, 05:43 AM   #17
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

You don't need to be a WIS to know that a dive watch can be used for diving (assuming the person knows that the seals are intact).

You don't need to be a WIS to know that when you strap a chunk of metal to your wrist that some wear is to be expected.

I guess I look at things differently because I am an engineer... I really enjoy this forum and useful content. I just got into collecting watches a few months ago and am reading "The Best of Time Rolex Wristwatches" Rolex has an amazing history...I didn't know that Hans W. was German till I started reading this book.
Old 14 July 2014, 05:48 AM   #18
Aramis9
Banned

Quote:
You don't need to be a WIS to know that a dive watch can be used for diving (assuming the person knows that the seals are intact).

You don't need to be a WIS to know that when you strap a chunk of metal to your wrist that some wear is to be expected.

I guess I look at things differently because I am an engineer... I really enjoy this forum and useful content. I just got into collecting watches a few months ago and am reading "The Best of Time Rolex Wristwatches" Rolex has an amazing history...I didn't know that Hans W. was German till I started reading this book.
You didn't consider someone called Hans Wilsdorf could be German?
Aramis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 05:48 AM   #19
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Now I feel insulted after all my questions.

I demand a public apology.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 05:52 AM   #20
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

I think most view TRF as a "safe" place to express views, comments, concerns, etc. Our member have varying amounts of experience with the watches but consistently high levels of enthusiasm. Clearly they took the time to visit, sign up and post. As a person who grew up with relatively modest means but found professional success, I look back with distaste on the arrogance that I encountered at ADs who dismissed me based on my youth or appearance. While OP makes some fair points generally, why don't we check the elitism at the door.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 05:56 AM   #21
foodle
"TRF" Member

Posts complaining about all the silly questions are only slightly less annoying than the silly questions themselves.
foodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 06:08 AM   #22
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

To Aramis9: I just didn't know until I started reading the book. I had no reason to look up his background, I just like the watches but I got my hands on the book and started reading it. Lots of good stuff.

To CHRONOLEX: My background sounds just like yours...I earned everything (including my engineering degrees) with lots of hard work and dedication. It also helped that my parents kept me on the right track. I have had the same experiences as you at an AD as well...and is why I don't buy from AD's and do business with the trusted sellers on this Forum...

I didn't realize that many on this forum are so sensitive...I am sorry if I hurt some feelings.
Old 14 July 2014, 06:15 AM   #23
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
To Aramis9: I just didn't know until I started reading the book. I had no reason to look up his background, I just like the watches but I got my hands on the book and started reading it. Lots of good stuff.

To CHRONOLEX: My background sounds just like yours...I earned everything (including my engineering degrees) with lots of hard work and dedication. It also helped that my parents kept me on the right track. I have had the same experiences as you at an AD as well...and is why I don't buy from AD's and do business with the trusted sellers on this Forum...

I didn't realize that many on this forum are so sensitive...I am sorry if I hurt some feelings.
I like this ego8gator better than the first!! Thanks for taking the time to follow up. Have a great day!
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 04:51 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
One more thread for me to read.

Oh goody.
X2 On that one Paul and over the years must have read well over a million but thak god most were sensible posts.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 11:52 AM   #25
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I think TRF should be a safe place where utter novices can post questions that a WIS might consider to be "stupid," without fear of humiliation. This is the Rolex Forums website...not the Rolex Experts Forum.

For example, I don't see anything wrong with someone who knows nothing about watches posting here to ask about a watch that they came across while cleaning out the junk drawer of a recently-deceased relative. If that person instead walked into a random watch shop, jewelry store, antique store, or pawn, shop, and said, "I have no idea what this is. What will you give me for this?", are we confident that each and every watch dealer will be fair if the watch turns out to be a very rare and valuable timepiece? If we think the person asking the question is suspicious, then just don't answer. I'd rather that, then humiliate someone who is legitimately asking a question.

I found this website years ago because my Yachtmaster was about 6 years old, and I wanted to learn from the experts here if it was due for a cleaning. I just did a basic Internet search for cleaning a Rolex, and found TRF. JJ Irani promptly greeted me and provided me with good advice. Since coming here in 2007, I've learned a tremendous amount about Rolex watches, and have come to appreciate them, and my particular watch in particular, even more.

Anyway, I'm glad that I've learned so much from TRF. In thinking back to how relatively little I knew when I first joined, I'm glad that my questions, which some may have considered to be stupid, were answered in a kind and polite way.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 12:44 PM   #26
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
As I used to tell my associates, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." I think that holds true here as well. Not everyone is an expert or a WIS. As was said earlier, people come here knowing nothing and over time gain knowledge. One way to that is by asking questions. If you don't like the question, you can always skip it.

Sent from my iPad 3.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 12:58 PM   #27
Andad

Watch: A few.
Carlo,

In your post you describe some of us as 'idiotic'.

That is funny coming from someone who didn't think Hans might have been a German name.

You could have just asked the question on the Forum.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 12:58 PM   #28
Andad

Watch: A few.
As has been said "there are no stupid questions"??

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 03:01 AM   #29
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Is it safe to ask stupid questions?

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 04:26 AM   #30
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Is it safe to ask stupid questions?

Hoot there's another one...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote