The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2021, 02:24 PM   #1
superspectral
"TRF" Member

Rolex Should Let ADs Markup New Stock

We have suffered through years of hand wringing over no stock at ADs, murky or non existent waiting lists, and suspicions that many ADs are involved in back channel deals to flippers.

Rolex can’t and probably wouldn’t increase production enough to make a dent in any of these problems.

One can imagine a lot of complex schemes to cut fluppers and grey dealers out, but these seem likely only to reduce supply.

If every AD was allowed to charge any price for any piece, this would actually vastly increase the number of pieces available at market price. So for example, if greys have 800 available $15k new in box subs each day now-that might triple to 2400 in the expanded market . I expect average prices would drop a few $1k after some instability.

Customers have the ability to buy truly new watches with less waiting and a lot more transparency. The AD should be able to sell at a premium over used. This doesn’t really hurt used dealers business model of buying like and sellling high.

I hardly see how new customers would be more pissed off at markups than zero stock and 5 year waiting lists.
superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Few thoughts come to mind for me:

Many ADs already markup their watches by having customers establish a spend history with them before they can buy the high in demand pieces. So buyers are in a way paying market prices for their Daytona or BLRO indirectly.

Some people are willing to buy at grey prices but what percentage actually do? 5%, 10%, 2%? Not a big enough percent I think to change things the way they are.

Also, I do t think most new buyers would pony up anywhere close to grey prices otherwise just go grey
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:36 PM   #3
stevestil
"TRF" Member

What would the point of buying from an AD be at market pricing? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

ADs then basically replace grey dealers. Where does the extra money go? Straight into the AD’s pocket. They buy the watches at a wholesale price as it is and their markup is effectively fixed. I just can’t see how this would would. The profiteering would be on another level.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:42 PM   #5
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
The day that US AD’s are allowed to sell for whatever they want is the day I will buy no more Rolex. For everyone here having a hard time getting new watches from an AD, there are hundreds of happy clients of that AD getting what they want in a reasonable amount of time.
Having AD’s becoming defacto grey dealers wouldn’t be good for anyone.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:43 PM   #6
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Rolex is no longer a manufacturer of tool watches, they are a luxury brand now. Part of what makes it a luxury brand is exclusivity. There is no problem from Rolex’s perspective. If they let AD’s charge a premium prices would end up going down on average and rolexes would be available to anyone making them less desirable I.e not good for Rolex brand.

Things like “less waiting”, “more transparency”, etc are not in the interest of the brand unfortunately.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 03:25 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I think the AD’s already have a handle on their Rolex market.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 03:45 PM   #8
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
it would be like rolex gifting money to ADs, lol!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:12 PM   #9
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Why would you let ADs do that when Rolex can quietly raise the price 10%-15% year over year for the rest of time?

If you want to pay Market Price for a Rolex, there are already plenty of options out there
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:12 PM   #10
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
It used to that those that want, buy AD. Those that don’t, go grey.

Nowadays,

Those that can, buy AD. Those that can’t, go grey.

If all it took to get a Rolex was X amount (and not even a very large one by todays standards) of money, it would lose its prestige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:33 PM   #11
tyler_win
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi, Bluesy
Kind of a similar reason why many people dislike new car dealerships, especially in this market. They can charge whatever they like over MSRP. For everyday cars like the Prius there has been a slight bump in resale, but for sought after models like Porsche GT3s or Black Series Mercedes the resale is through the roof even above their mark ups.

Of course there's other factors in play with my example such as the chip shortage, but another light to view.
tyler_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:34 PM   #12
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Just shop at Tourneau..doh!
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:59 PM   #13
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

No.
Old 17 December 2021, 05:34 PM   #14
rkny
"TRF" Member

Folks should stop spending brain power on trying to solve the unsolvable Rolex market and instead put that effort into cold calling every AD within flying distance. When one eventually gets you the watch you want, fly there and pick it up. You’ll still save thousands over gray.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 05:38 PM   #15
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Rubbish.
Old 17 December 2021, 05:46 PM   #16
huba01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Rubbish.
huba01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 11:10 PM   #17
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Seriously bro? Do you want to pay 18k for a steel black submariner?
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 11:12 PM   #18
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Do emojis work here??
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 11:21 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
They get plenty of stock and indirectly are selling at or often above market price by encouraging complimentary sales.
Old 17 December 2021, 11:27 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good idea, no more MSRP
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 11:50 PM   #21
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Cant see that it would do anything positive for the average watch enthusiast, as you most likely would create a situation where the watches are financially out of reach for many. Also, how is a scenario where everyone pays more a better solution, just to have the AD experience?

Anyone can buy the Rolex they desire today and without wait, just not via an AD. There is no shortage. If you are so eager to pay market price, then just go grey already today
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 12:44 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Or as an alternative, since there's a Crown for every achievement, we go full Thunderdome.

Five customers enter, the one who leaves Thunderdome alive earns the Rolex. Added benefit, it naturally frees up customer demand back to 'neutral' over time. Win-win.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 01:00 AM   #23
zzenrocker
"TRF" Member

Predictably, those here that can buy from ADs defend MSRP, those that can't want an even playing field. Similar to an auction, having an open market would very quickly establish transparent pricing. As it exists today, it would be hard to find a more distorted, manipulated market than the current Rolex sales channel
zzenrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 01:03 AM   #24
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
you are nuts, this will mess up the market big time
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 01:21 AM   #25
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

For those that can regularly obtain a Rolex for MSRP, this wouldn't work. For those that have been relegated to the grey market, this would be a good thing. Being able to walk into an AD, try on a few watches and walk out would be a refreshing change. The questions is, are there enough people willing to pay inflated numbers? Either way some people wouldn't happy and the shortage problem doesn't really get solved as prices will likely get even more outrageous.

Not sure if this ever happens, but if it does the greys get crushed.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 01:29 AM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My AD sold popular Rolex at market price a few years ago, until Rolex HQ stopped that practice. I bought my brand new Batman at a premium then from said AD, with no wait, full 5-year warranty and a peace of mind knowing the watch is 100% genuine. I would do so again if this is allowable by Rolex HQ.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 01:49 AM   #27
hondacb1002
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
My AD sold popular Rolex at market price a few years ago, until Rolex HQ stopped that practice. I bought my brand new Batman at a premium then from said AD, with no wait, full 5-year warranty and a peace of mind knowing the watch is 100% genuine. I would do so again if this is allowable by Rolex HQ.
I agree. Part of what makes me hesitant to go grey is having to deal with any kind of issues with what I assume will be a new watch. I'm afraid of getting a super clone movement, or having some parts swapped out for clone parts from a grey market flipper. And for those who call me paranoid you should see what happens in the car industry with luxury rentals. People swap parts out all the time and put in inferior parts. Imagine going grey years down the line getting the watch serviced and having to deal with an issue of parts not being original or a super clone movement....? F that! I would rather pay a grey market price at an AD and know its real. versus not even being able to buy at an AD, and not being able to completely trust the grey market.
hondacb1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 02:24 AM   #28
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
This a classic example of a solution looking for a problem.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 02:28 AM   #29
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspectral View Post
We have suffered through years of hand wringing over no stock at ADs, murky or non existent waiting lists, and suspicions that many ADs are involved in back channel deals to flippers.

Rolex can’t and probably wouldn’t increase production enough to make a dent in any of these problems.

One can imagine a lot of complex schemes to cut fluppers and grey dealers out, but these seem likely only to reduce supply.

If every AD was allowed to charge any price for any piece, this would actually vastly increase the number of pieces available at market price. So for example, if greys have 800 available $15k new in box subs each day now-that might triple to 2400 in the expanded market . I expect average prices would drop a few $1k after some instability.

Customers have the ability to buy truly new watches with less waiting and a lot more transparency. The AD should be able to sell at a premium over used. This doesn’t really hurt used dealers business model of buying like and sellling high.

I hardly see how new customers would be more pissed off at markups than zero stock and 5 year waiting lists.

No way. I got three at MSRP this year. WHY would I want the AD doing what the Grey Market does. Silly.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 03:14 AM   #30
cgaites
"TRF" Member

Yes! 1000 times yes. Cut the bull and have a true free, undistorted market. I have no problem paying $13K or whatever for a black Sub if that is what the market will bear. I'm a capitalist. However, I'm not putting that kind of money at risk by going grey and potentially getting a fake watch / super clone. A few extra thousand dollars is a small price to pay to know 100% that I'm getting a genuine watch. Plus there is the added benefit of cutting down on the elitism and snobbery associate with the brand.

Unfortunately this will never happen. Rolex is smart enough to realize that as long as pricing in the AD channel is less than that in the secondary market, then demand in the AD channel will remain infinite. Who doesn't want to be paid thousands of dollars to take a Rolex off their ADs hands? If ADs were allowed to sell over MSRP, I suspect secondary market prices would collapse as the cross channel arbitrage opportunity disappears and speculators flee the market. If I'm right, the damage to the Rolex brand would be substantial.

Oh well, one can dream...
cgaites is offline   Reply With Quote