The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 June 2023, 08:31 AM   #1
erico
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600/SMP2541.80
Submariner vs. Speedmaster Professional

New to the Rolex forum here. My wife has agreed to sanction me purchasing a watch this year for my 40th and I'm debating between two: Submariner 124060 and the latest Speedmaster Professional (Hesalite).

I'm a big fan of dive watches but already own an Omega Seamaster 300M 2541.80.00. I've always liked the Sub, since I was a kid, and am leaning toward this but I'm wondering about adding another diver vs. something that will provide some more variety to my small collection (Speedy). Obviously I like the Speedy and hence the post. We are putting a pool in the backyard now so I will be spending more time in the water, which would seem to weigh in favor of the Sub. Based on looks alone, my wife prefers the Speedy. Also, should I wait until 2024 in case Rolex makes further upgrades? I think there's also something to be said for the Speedy being less known to the general public.

Thoughts?

(BTW, I realize that by posting this in The Rolex Forum there may be some bias toward the Sub, but I figure maybe some of you own both models.)
erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 08:49 AM   #2
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Welcome to the forum. Both are great watches, and every collection should have at least one of each. Ultimately its a decision you'll have to make. For Me, I'd take the Sub over the Speedy any day of the week but thats me. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 6 June 2023, 08:51 AM   #3
Callmepeshy
"TRF" Member

Have you tried both on? That would be my first suggestion and may push you in one direction instantly!
Callmepeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 08:56 AM   #4
Lu..
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB Pro
I would say get what you want & what makes u happy......what's wrong with 2 divers......is another option selling or trading the Seamaster for the Speedy (and buying the Sub)?

Good luck with the outcome and let us know the outcome....
Old 6 June 2023, 09:00 AM   #5
erico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmepeshy View Post
Have you tried both on? That would be my first suggestion and may push you in one direction instantly!
Great point. I haven't tried on the new Sub. Will see if I can track one down in San Diego.
Old 6 June 2023, 09:01 AM   #6
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu.. View Post
I would say get what you want & what makes u happy......what's wrong with 2 divers......is another option selling or trading the Seamaster for the Speedy (and buying the Sub)?

Good luck with the outcome and let us know the outcome....
I agree with this too. I would take a speedmaster or a sub over the Seamaster. I own a speedmaster but not a sub.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:09 AM   #7
trf2271
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 79220n
Both great watches, but I’d go with a 124060 and then flip the Seamaster for a Speedy.
trf2271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:15 AM   #8
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum. Let me first start off by saying if you haven't been following everything Rolex you are in for a rude awakening with regards to availability. You won't be able to walk right in and get one. It'll most likely be a minimum of a one or two year wait at best if you go with an AD and with no purchase history. If you go grey market you can get one right away, but you are going to have to pay $2000-$4000 over retail to get one. Shouldn't be an issue getting an Omega. Just something you need to keep in mind.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:20 AM   #9
erico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Welcome to the forum. Let me first start off by saying if you haven't been following everything Rolex you are in for a rude awakening with regards to availability. You won't be able to walk right in and get one. It'll most likely be a minimum of a one or two year wait at best if you go with an AD and with no purchase history. If you go grey market you can get one right away, but you are going to have to pay $2000-$4000 over retail to get one. Shouldn't be an issue getting an Omega. Just something you need to keep in mind.
Yeah, for the Sub my plan was to buy grey market new or slightly used. E.g., OC Watch Guy.
Old 6 June 2023, 09:33 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
You own a diver, but not a chrono. Seems Speedy wins. However, you own an Omega, and perhaps not a Rolex. Sub wins. Rolex in general is stupid hard to find at retail, and in cases, years in the making. Gray market is a thing if you don't mind paying over MSRP. What birthday? 40th or 93rd? Time might win in this case.

Over all, availability seems to point at the Speedy..... And I agree. The Speedy Pro is an amazing watch and my first luxury watch.

Save the Sub for when all things Rolex get back to normal.
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:40 AM   #11
msnow
"TRF" Member

Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
msnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:42 AM   #12
erico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
You own a diver, but not a chrono. Seems Speedy wins. However, you own an Omega, and perhaps not a Rolex. Sub wins. Rolex in general is stupid hard to find at retail, and in cases, years in the making. Gray market is a thing if you don't mind paying over MSRP. What birthday? 40th or 93rd? Time might win in this case.

Over all, availability seems to point at the Speedy..... And I agree. The Speedy Pro is an amazing watch and my first luxury watch.

Save the Sub for when all things Rolex get back to normal.
40th birthday thankfully not 93rd...
Old 6 June 2023, 09:49 AM   #13
TheVision
"TRF" Member

I've handled the speedy at a AD and not a fan of painted matte dial. Also, be aware that the 30m WR is from the single gasket on the crown and thats it. No gaskets on the chrono pushers so it's far from a 'pool' watch. And no date either.

The moon watch history is what elevated it but once u take that out, it's another 'dress' chrono. And frankly a dive bezel is far more useful than a chrono (sub dials are hard to read anyway)

Sub is pretty much a one and done watch for many simply cos it's far more functional as a daily wear (date, high WR for either snorkelling, 10 feet pool or real diving to boardroom tuxedo).

I don't like to mention "investment" in a watch but right now, any Rolex (over Omega) is far more solid and in fact, a BETTER investment than any stocks and one of the reasons why people are flocking to the brand like moths to a light bulb. Your hard earned money is well invested in the brand for years to come.

Ya can buy any speedy (or omega) way under retail brand new anyday of the week. Sub...2 year wait at any AD without purchase history or $5k over retail if u wanna go grey.

And I've owned multiple Omega over the years from PO, smp (old and new gen) and Aquaterra.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:00 AM   #14
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Had the speedmaster. It just doesn’t have the same quality feel as the submariner. Plus to me the sub just looks better.
Old 6 June 2023, 10:03 AM   #15
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Had the speedmaster. It just doesn’t have the same quality feel as the submariner. Plus to me the sub just looks better.
X 2 for me…..
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:04 AM   #16
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I have both if I had to have one it would prob be the sub just cause it’s low maintenance - durable and can wear it whenever but way harder to find and more expensive
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:20 AM   #17
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I've handled the speedy at a AD and not a fan of painted matte dial. Also, be aware that the 30m WR is from the single gasket on the crown and thats it. No gaskets on the chrono pushers so it's far from a 'pool' watch. And no date either.

The moon watch history is what elevated it but once u take that out, it's another 'dress' chrono. And frankly a dive bezel is far more useful than a chrono (sub dials are hard to read anyway)

Sub is pretty much a one and done watch for many simply cos it's far more functional as a daily wear (date, high WR for either snorkelling, 10 feet pool or real diving to boardroom tuxedo).

I don't like to mention "investment" in a watch but right now, any Rolex (over Omega) is far more solid and in fact, a BETTER investment than any stocks and one of the reasons why people are flocking to the brand like moths to a light bulb. Your hard earned money is well invested in the brand for years to come.

Ya can buy any speedy (or omega) way under retail brand new anyday of the week. Sub...2 year wait at any AD without purchase history or $5k over retail if u wanna go grey.

And I've owned multiple Omega over the years from PO, smp (old and new gen) and Aquaterra.
Speedy is 50M and if you maintain it properly (like any watch) you can take it swimming as Omega itself says is fine for a watch rated 50M. Not going to argue this point btw as its been done nonstop on the internet.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:21 AM   #18
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

If you didn't have the Seamaster, I'd say Sub easy. But the Speedy is the best >=2 collection watch and would complement the Seamster better than the Sub. So I vote Speedy.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:24 AM   #19
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Submariner vs. Speedmaster Professional

I have all three. I definitely prefer the Submariner over the Speedmaster and Seamaster but I love them all. Plus, there is nothing wrong with having 2 divers. BTW, I have a pool in the backyard too, so 2 divers is definitely a plus.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:30 AM   #20
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Easy easy call. Easy.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:35 AM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If it were me, I’d consider flipping the Seamaster for the Speedy and then I’d add the Submariner … or just do it all at once

Welcome aboard
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:45 AM   #22
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I own a Speedy 3186 and LOVE IT!
Like it much more than a Daytona!
That being said if I could only have one watch it would be a Submariner (or the SD4K I currently have)

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:50 AM   #23
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf2271 View Post
Both great watches, but I’d go with a 124060 and then flip the Seamaster for a Speedy.
This!
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:52 AM   #24
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Sub
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:55 AM   #25
sevykor
"TRF" Member

In these situations, you will never be content. The solution is to buy both. Start with one that is accessible and allow time for the other. You have many years ahead of you, so do what makes you happy. Otherwise whats the point of living…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:58 AM   #26
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

I agree with several of the previous posters. I would buy a sub and trade the seamaster for a speedy?
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 11:07 AM   #27
ducatiti
Banned

I love and have the Speedy, and same with 300m in the white.

Always wanted a sub since the 90's.

Got one a few weeks ago, sold the 300m and gave the Speedy to the wife.

Sub everyday, and twice on Sunday :)

ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 11:08 AM   #28
ml91
"TRF" Member

The sub is the most iconic watch of all time, that said the new speedy, imo is more comfortable than the new sub. For 1 watch sub (date function + watch resistance over a chrono) however you can’t go wrong with both. I have a hulk , blue seamaster and 3861 hesalite + tried on a friend 126610ln many times for what it’s worth
ml91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 11:14 AM   #29
BMess
"TRF" Member

For whatever it’s worth, I had an 114060 and I currently have both a Speedmaster Professional (hesalite) and a Seamaster Diver 300 (blue). I absolutely LOVE my Speedy and Diver 300 but I sold my 114060 after about 6 months because I found it incredibly underwhelming. To me, the 114060 was a great watch in theory and looked amazing in pictures but didn’t do anything for me on the wrist. I highly suggest you try on both at an AD. Most should have the Speedy in stock and an exhibition model 124060 for you to try. Get whichever calls to you. The choice should be fairly obvious in person.

Old 6 June 2023, 11:16 AM   #30
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf2271 View Post
both great watches, but i’d go with a 124060 and then flip the seamaster for a speedy.
+1
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote