The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2024, 08:11 AM   #31
rockysw
"TRF" Member

I agree with the OP. It is a shame really. the issue is that the world is not fair. Profitabilty is above morals or ethics. "Right thing to do" is jsut talk. At the end of the day every business will maximise their profit whichever way they can within the the legal bounds (but not bound by moral, ethics, sense of right and wrong).
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:53 AM   #32
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
The biggest problem I have with Tex at the moment is that Rolex ADs (at least here in the UK) are peddling the myth that all the watches are hard to get.

Yes - the obvious few are in demand (some GMT, Daytona, Subs, certain sky dwellers) but others should be relatively easy to acquire
But the issue is everyone wants those exact watches. Nobody is coming in this forum complaining about languishing on the wait list for a yacht master

I just think it’s weird that everyone comes here to complain about not being able to get the same five watches, but are incredulous that they are really in short supply.

And I highly suspect that if you could walk in and buy those five watches, the demand would go down.
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:06 AM   #33
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
But the issue is everyone wants those exact watches. Nobody is coming in this forum complaining about languishing on the wait list for a yacht master

I just think it’s weird that everyone comes here to complain about not being able to get the same five watches, but are incredulous that they are really in short supply.

And I highly suspect that if you could walk in and buy those five watches, the demand would go down.
In fairness, one poster was asking about a simple DJ. Not exactly a steel daytona...
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:22 AM   #34
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
In fairness, one poster was asking about a simple DJ. Not exactly a steel daytona...

Sure, but the vast, vast, majority are the hype pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2024, 09:38 AM   #35
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner868 View Post
I was told a few months ago by an AD I have a spend history they had no Datejusts, didn’t know when they would get them in, yadda yadda. No mention of ordering me one, just “Sorry. We have nothing.” I didn’t ask for anything crazy - a blue dial would have been fine. Nope.

You also need to find a new AD. Anyone can get a Datejust, with a reasonable wait time.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:46 AM   #36
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
OP I am glad you found an easy to work with brand like AP. Excited to hear about your incoming RO blue dial, openworked, ceramic anything, QP, etc…
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:51 AM   #37
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Sure, but the vast, vast, majority are the hype pieces.

I agree. The overwhelming majority are the “hype pieces.”

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 03:47 PM   #38
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It all depends on the AD and the customer, but in general Rolex demand far outstrips supply and so it goes ….

As above, lots of other brands to explore and where you can readily buy the watches you want at retail or even with a discount.
This is the ultimate catch-22. We ultimately want and need the Rolex supply to be vastly insufficient to meet demand in order to keep value high. Once supply exceeds demand, the value spiral starts, eroding demand even further. Multi year waits are a good thing! I hope that never changes.
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 04:02 PM   #39
TudorDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan39 View Post
This is the ultimate catch-22. We ultimately want and need the Rolex supply to be vastly insufficient to meet demand in order to keep value high. Once supply exceeds demand, the value spiral starts, eroding demand even further. Multi year waits are a good thing! I hope that never changes.
What has value got to do with the collecting experience? I buy watches to wear them, not collect dust with the financial value going up.
TudorDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:32 PM   #40
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan39 View Post
This mindset is precisely what has ruined this hobby.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 10:00 PM   #41
Burt Macklin
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 Ref#126234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner868 View Post
I was told a few months ago by an AD I have a spend history they had no Datejusts, didn’t know when they would get them in, yadda yadda. No mention of ordering me one, just “Sorry. We have nothing.” I didn’t ask for anything crazy - a blue dial would have been fine. Nope.
You need to go to a different AD. I was told the same thing at the first AD I went to (I even bought a Tudor BB58, which I did want, in the hopes of improving my chances). Decided I was tired of waiting and went to a different AD and within 4 months I had a blue, fluted, jubilee DJ on my wrist with no other purchases.
Burt Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 10:41 PM   #42
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting post and responses. I read the first post before it got sidetracked and locked. From reading various posts on here I think people just getting into trying to buy luxury watches, cars, etc. don't understand or refuse to understand the current market conditions. It is neither right or wrong, it just is what it is. The passion of many younger people in the hobby is encouraging but it also leads to frustration when you can not get the watch(s) you want from an AD in a reasonable time frame. Many will not use the secondary market, that is another long conversation, so they are left with nothing. What is the solution? Either get into the game and participate in the secondary market or make enough of an impression with an AD that you get watches through them. That impression is typically spend history and time with them. Or you can sit on the sidelines and wait for an opportune time to try to jump in. The option of going to another less popular brand is always on the table but if that was the watch(s) you wanted you would already have them. It is about the King, Rolex, and several of the others, PP/AP/FPJ, etc. To sum it up, you are gong to have to pay to play. That will either be time, money or both. Find the watch(s) you want from a Trusted Seller, get the best price possible and pay. You will have the watch and over a period of time the retail price of that piece will catch up to what you paid so you will be fine. Breaking news is you are not getting a SS Daytona-C or a Pepsi from an AD, at least not anytime soon. So if this is what you want or another hard to get piece then disappointment looms. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 10:51 PM   #43
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Vast majority of rolex models don't have a long wait time as they're not very sought after. Sure, your daytonas, pepsi GMTs will be hard to get, but I'm not sure this is unique to Rolex. Other watch brands (I'm looking at you, Omega with their ed white/snoopy) and other luxury industries also have this trend.

Most models easy to access, some are not.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:04 PM   #44
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Hype models = popular models and it’s a positive classification. Of course not all models hold the same popularity, nor should they be. It’s that way with everything else in the world.
Old 22 April 2024, 11:08 PM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
When they lock your thread, just open another.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:18 PM   #46
JackGale
"TRF" Member

To me, this all boils down to an AD clash between your emotional crap toleration level as a customer and the psychic income you receive from pursuing ownership and paying for the "privilege" of owning a watch you want. If you have low tolerance for the former, you will quench your thirst at a trough that isn't an AD. Otherwise, buckle up and grin and bear it!
JackGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:13 AM   #47
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackGale View Post
To me, this all boils down to an AD clash between your emotional crap toleration level as a customer and the psychic income you receive from pursuing ownership and paying for the "privilege" of owning a watch you want. If you have low tolerance for the former, you will quench your thirst at a trough that isn't an AD. Otherwise, buckle up and grin and bear it!
Straight to the point
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:39 AM   #48
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Otherwise, buckle up and grin and bear it!
Don't you mean bend over?
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 01:16 AM   #49
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:

lol ! such a great reply

belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 03:03 AM   #50
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Currently on Crono 24 there are (New/Unused) 59 126610LV watches in the UK between £12k - £19k for a retail £9.5k watch, (395 watches world wide all new/ unised).

That's a lot of 'free money' to be had.

I went to my AD who had 2 Exhibition watches, neither for sale and no indication when one would be available. Just the standard interview to determine if I was worthy.

I went Grey for £12.5k and have the only watch I want. It makes me smile whenever I look at it. All good.
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 03:12 AM   #51
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:

I sort of agree with you and don’t agree with you.

Firstly, I don’t think “nobody” wants YM etc. in fact, I would wager that a fairly large chunk of the population would prefer a YM over say a Pepsi or a sub if they know little of the history of the brand / want a daily driver, one and done kind of person. And demand for these kind of watches seems to exceed supply by an order of magnitude. There will be plenty in here who want one and can’t get it. I guarantee that.

However, I do agree that if they were available as a walk in then demand would plummet. I’m sure they would still sell and absolute ton of them but nothing makes the heart yearn like for something it can’t have. The story of the last 6 years really.

I’ve heard a lot of people say the situation is a bit like GR3 RS for example and it sort of is except in the case of Porsche there’s a handful of cars you struggle to get and they have got bloody Taycan coming out of their ears.

In the case of Rolex they should have datejust, OP coming out of their ears. But they don’t… or do they?

Also see a lot of parallels with the GT3 situation and used Porsche prices for the cooking models. In much the same way as demand for a few select drives up the asking price for common Boxsters or Carreras so we have CPO watches at 1.3 x true market price.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 03:43 AM   #52
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
I sort of agree with you and don’t agree with you.

Firstly, I don’t think “nobody” wants YM etc. in fact, I would wager that a fairly large chunk of the population would prefer a YM over say a Pepsi or a sub if they know little of the history of the brand / want a daily driver, one and done kind of person. And demand for these kind of watches seems to exceed supply by an order of magnitude. There will be plenty in here who want one and can’t get it. I guarantee that.

However, I do agree that if they were available as a walk in then demand would plummet. I’m sure they would still sell and absolute ton of them but nothing makes the heart yearn like for something it can’t have. The story of the last 6 years really.

I’ve heard a lot of people say the situation is a bit like GR3 RS for example and it sort of is except in the case of Porsche there’s a handful of cars you struggle to get and they have got bloody Taycan coming out of their ears.

In the case of Rolex they should have datejust, OP coming out of their ears. But they don’t… or do they?

Also see a lot of parallels with the GT3 situation and used Porsche prices for the cooking models. In much the same way as demand for a few select drives up the asking price for common Boxsters or Carreras so we have CPO watches at 1.3 x true market price.

I didn’t say nobody wanted a yacht master. I said no one is complaining about languishing on the list for one. I imagine most folks who want a yacht master go to an AD, ask for one, and receive one pretty soon.

The people angry on here are typically after the same few watches. So I guess the response should be “don’t ask for the same watch everybody else wants”
Old 23 April 2024, 06:23 AM   #53
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

You make it sound like nothing. :Don't ask for the watch everyone else wants' Are you for real? I'll just pay $10k for a watch I don't really want. Seriously?
Old 23 April 2024, 11:08 AM   #54
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Turned Off By Rolex (Follow Up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt10p View Post
You make it sound like nothing. :Don't ask for the watch everyone else wants' Are you for real? I'll just pay $10k for a watch I don't really want. Seriously?

You’re missing the point I was trying to make.

I guess I don’t understand people getting upset about availability when all they are asking for is the most popular models.
I don’t understand people bemoaning that everyone wants “hype watches” when those are the exact watches they want too.

I guess I’m just different. I like watches. If a watch I want isn’t available, I register my interest and if it comes, great. If it doesn’t, also great, because I can spend money on another watch that I like. That’s just going to happen if I want something popular.

I like the new Gray/Black GMT. I asked my SA and he said it might be awhile. Which is fine. Why get mad about it when there are a lot of other watches?

And if you only want the most popular watches, maybe you should ask yourself why that is instead of casting aspersions on the other people who want the same thing you do, but apparently are “ruining the hobby.”

Here’s the most recent watch I got instead of the Green OP which has proved difficult to get. I gotta say, I’m really happy with this one. I chose that instead of being upset about not getting something.
Old 23 April 2024, 11:18 AM   #55
vlps
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I guess I don’t understand people getting upset about availability when all they are asking for is the most popular models.
I don’t understand people bemoaning that everyone wants “hype watches” when those are the exact watches they want too.

I guess I’m just different. I like watches. If a watch I want isn’t available, I register my interest and if it comes, great. If it doesn’t, also great, because I can spend money on another watch that I like. That’s just going to happen if I want something popular.

I like the new Gray/Black GMT. I asked my SA and he said it might be awhile. Which is fine. Why get mad about it when there are a lot of other watches?

And if you only want the most popular watches, maybe you should ask yourself why that is instead of casting aspersion on the other people who want the same thing you do, but apparently are ruining the hobby.

Here’s the most recent watch I got instead of the Green OP which has proved difficult to get. I gotta say, I’m really happy with this one. I chose that instead of being upset about not getting something. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240423/2d1f78457f155e99f6e7d37e72038f67.jpg[IMG]
Great perspective to have
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 09:37 PM   #56
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlps View Post
Great perspective to have
I see your point and if you're a collector with funds to increase a collection that's fine. If as in my case you have researched all watches available within price range and decide on one expensive watch, that is the only one that will do. I suppose it's not surprising that others also like the same watch and demand grows.

I don't complain about the hike in price on the second hand market. I'm not happy with the dealer system but cannot see a workable solution
Old 23 April 2024, 10:02 PM   #57
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Here’s the most recent watch I got instead of the Green OP which has proved difficult to get. I gotta say, I’m really happy with this one. I chose that instead of being upset about not getting something.
Cor. That's nice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 10:26 PM   #58
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting post and responses. I read the first post before it got sidetracked and locked. From reading various posts on here I think people just getting into trying to buy luxury watches, cars, etc. don't understand or refuse to understand the current market conditions. It is neither right or wrong, it just is what it is.
The "Modern Entitlement Class" is especially strong here on TRF imho. The Ferrari guys understand about limited availability. So do other gearheads. The great news is that many more people are aware of Rolex and aspire to acquire one, far more than only a handful of years ago. This is wonderful, and far better than the 1980s/90s horology & watch sales situation.

Thankfully this is all merely rich people's problems as they have food to eat, a roof over their head, and a dry/warm bed to sleep in.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 11:02 PM   #59
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And if you only want the most popular watches, maybe you should ask yourself why that is instead of casting aspersions on the other people who want the same thing you do, but apparently are “ruining the hobby.”

Very sensible mindset
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 11:08 PM   #60
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
The "Modern Entitlement Class" is especially strong here on TRF imho. The Ferrari guys understand about limited availability. So do other gearheads. The great news is that many more people are aware of Rolex and aspire to acquire one, far more than only a handful of years ago. This is wonderful, and far better than the 1980s/90s horology & watch sales situation.

Thankfully this is all merely rich people's problems as they have food to eat, a roof over their head, and a dry/warm bed to sleep in.
Well said.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote