The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 December 2022, 06:59 AM   #1
Flail2475
"TRF" Member

1675 value?

Hi, was curious before I buy an older GMT, the value of the 1675....I know it can probably vary quite a bit, but I know of one that was recently completely overhauled by Rolex, basically a brand new watch.

Most for sale are closer to original with the patina and all the rest?

I like the idea of having a watch I can wear with confidence, but at what cost?

What does that service do to the value of this particular model?

Thank you,

J
Flail2475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 07:21 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1675 values can be found throughout the Internet, and they vary a lot.

Typically, a "service" by itself does nothing but help keep value high.

However, when the service begins to replace the cosmetic and visible, original, parts, values can decrease for those looking for a museum quality example.

A pristine example with service dial and hands, new bezel insert and a modern bracelet can be had for sensible money. A pristine example with original dial, hands, bracelet, and insert can be had for insane money.
Old 8 December 2022, 07:24 AM   #3
propofolboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 116619
Having gone through this myself...

I think the most important thing I learned is that you want the original parts, especially the dial, hands and bezel. Often with a recent service they put in new parts -- ie a new service bezel, new hands, and a new dial. This really kills the value of the watch.
That being said if you can get it for a good price, you will have a beautiful watch that is essentially that -- new...

I just sent my 16750 off for service, and specifically requested they do not change the original matte dial and tritium hands. My (service) bezel was a bit damaged so I had that swapped out. Rolex Canada had no problem with this request, and now my watch looks vintage, but runs perfectly.

Hope that helps..
propofolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 08:43 AM   #4
1watch
"TRF" Member

1675 value?

If you want it to function well and be original, do not send a 1675 to Rolex. Send it to one if the trusted independent watchmakers who know what they’re doing and don’t mess up original examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

To even make a rough stab at answering your question we'd need more information. What year is the 1675? What was replaced during the service?
Old 8 December 2022, 01:25 PM   #6
Proto3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
1675 costs/values can be all over the place. For me specifically I spent…

$12,000 on a 1972 1675 with matte service dial, service bezel/hands. Polished case. No box/papers. It was a good looking watch but the non-originality finally got to me and I sold it.

$20,000 on a 1972 1675 with MK II dial, faded red back insert, polished case. No box/papers. I love this watch and never plan on selling it. Maybe just collecting more unique bezel inserts.

I would say figure out what you want as a collector. Do A LOT of research. There are so many little details about 1675’s. And people LOVE to debate those details

Also check out https://gmtmaster1675.com to use as a good reference tool.
Proto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 10:45 PM   #7
Flail2475
"TRF" Member

Wow, thanks so much for your replies! To answer the year question, it's a 78. Everything has been replaced, i.e. like a brand new watch basically, even the bracelet I do believe...rolex issued a new 2 year warranty on their work with it.

It appeals to me because I wanted a watch I can wear with confidence, and will last me a long time. I just don't know what's a fair price for it, given the work that's been done. I don't want to overpay by a ton, because at that price then maybe it's better just to get a newer model?

So in short, being a collector piece isn't as important to me as a good daily functioning watch (it's the watch my father had), I just don't want to overpay for it. I was thinking somewhere 12-13k for this specific example? Or am I way off?
Flail2475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 02:45 AM   #8
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flail2475 View Post
Wow, thanks so much for your replies! To answer the year question, it's a 78. Everything has been replaced, i.e. like a brand new watch basically, even the bracelet I do believe...rolex issued a new 2 year warranty on their work with it.

It appeals to me because I wanted a watch I can wear with confidence, and will last me a long time. I just don't know what's a fair price for it, given the work that's been done. I don't want to overpay by a ton, because at that price then maybe it's better just to get a newer model?

So in short, being a collector piece isn't as important to me as a good daily functioning watch (it's the watch my father had), I just don't want to overpay for it. I was thinking somewhere 12-13k for this specific example? Or am I way off?
Couple of thoughts - The passion you see in this forum for vintage Rolex is largely in part to the craftsmanship of watchmaking and the ability of these pieces to stand the test of time. Any natural aging is applauded. I wear a 2.1m 1675 most days and have never had reliability problems. As such, a two year warranty is nice but these movements in some cases (pun intended) have NEVER been serviced and still tick to CSOC. The fade, knocks to the case and lume age all contribute to the integrity and character of vintage and give the watch its personality and history...

NO doubt your watch will take on some knocks to the case but the luminova wont age and it will be a long time before the insert gets interesting. If the dial has been replaced then it is probably worth around 10-11K. Just know an example like this will not move with the vintage market.

All of this aside, the most important thing is that you LOVE it and wear it. You're asking this question to a bunch of fanatics so the perspective we give can be extreme.

Simply, I would rather pay $11k for the watch you've described than $20k for one of the brand new ones.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 06:05 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flail2475 View Post

Most people on this forum (including me) wouldn't have much interest in that watch, but there are definitely buyers for it. Assuming you're talking about US dollars, that price seems just a bit high to me personally given the current state of the market where everything but top collector's examples are a bit soft. But it's probably not crazy if there's truly a 2 year warranty and you're buying from a retailer or established dealer. If it's a private seller, I would think that $10k would be more in line with market value. But that's just my opinion, and ultimately you need to decide what it's worth to you.

Regarding "lasting a long time" and being basically a "brand new watch" ... don't count on it. There's no guarantee beyond 2 years when it comes to vintage watches. Although the watch might look new externally, most of the movement is old, and you really don't know the extent of wear. Old watches will eventually require attention. If you really want a like-new watch that will be reliable and maintenance-free for a long time, then get a new watch. They are now selling at the same price you mentioned.
Old 10 December 2022, 01:03 AM   #10
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Yes that 10-12k $ fig tops, seems about right for a polished, service swiss dial (the lume is sometimes slightly more blueish hue on the service dials) etc etc being replaced.
It will have a limited audience come resale but will be reliable and has charm of the smaller dimensions and lighter feel of a plexi GMT.
I suspect their (service part watch) values may paradoxically rise if Rolex put these into their Certified Pre Owned' schemes in coming years as they will not heavily reduce/discount service part watches I suspect !
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote