The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2023, 08:35 AM   #1
Tuzz313
"TRF" Member

Exclusive Rolex Collection

Just curious for people who only collect Rolex. Why did you stick to Rolex Brand alone?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Tuzz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 08:43 AM   #2
Belinus
"TRF" Member

Not sure I’d count as a Rolex collector but I’ve had a few other watch brands: Tag, Omega and JLC and none of them have given me the buzz that my Sub Date has. I’ve tried on many other makes but for now it’s Rolex that I feel I both like most and look best in. I still look at other brands (I’m swaying over Omega NTTD v Speedmaster) but Rolex just seem to make watches I like more than the competitors at similar prices.
Belinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 08:49 AM   #3
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve been thinking about moving in this direction, but not quite there yet. Recently sold my Omega Seamaster and the only other watch I have non Rolex is an Omega Speedmaster.

Seamaster couldn’t compete with the sub, and debating moving my Speedy as it just doesn’t fit my lifestyle as much at the moment.

Im also trying to get to a position where my watch collection is relatively small, and a lot of other brands struggle to be as versatile as Rolex imo. I do like a handful of other brands and would love to try some other non Rolex models, but there always seems to be a Rolex I like more.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 12:52 PM   #4
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I think the above two answers are excellent, pretty much the same for me. As corny as it sounds, nothing quite gives me the feel and sheer delight of putting on a Rolex. I think it just comes from my childhood. I liked watches from a very young age, and at that time I thought Rolex was literally the best and most expensive watch out there, so I always dreamed of having one. If instead I had grown up thinking Omega or IWC was such, I'm sure I'd prefer those brands.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 02:32 PM   #5
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I’m going in the opposite direction and am thinking that maybe 1 watch per brand would be the ideal aim. Not sure I’ll get there but that’s the aim.

Reason being is to maximise diversity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 02:57 PM   #6
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
I’m going in the opposite direction and am thinking that maybe 1 watch per brand would be the ideal aim. Not sure I’ll get there but that’s the aim.

Reason being is to maximise diversity

I tried this, really liked the Tudor bb58 and a grand Seiko. I still like them, but they get no wrist time. So don’t make the mistake of buying for diversity just for diversity sake.

I do however really like my Patek. Pretty much 4 Rolexes and 1 Patek get 98% of the wrist time. Occasionally I wear the Tudor, GS, or Omega, but it’s almost never.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 03:30 PM   #7
shirtguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub-c Date
They are reliable

They are classics

They keep value

They are currency in every country
shirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 04:24 PM   #8
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I used to be a Rolex fanboy, and dont get me wrong I still love Rolex, my last purchase was the full gold gmt on jubilee. However, I purchased a AP beginning of last year, and since then my appreciation of other brands, in particular AP has grown and grown. I just feel moving from Rolex into the holy trininty has opened my eyes to next level watches.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 07:39 PM   #9
msnow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I used to be a Rolex fanboy, and dont get me wrong I still love Rolex, my last purchase was the full gold gmt on jubilee. However, I purchased a AP beginning of last year, and since then my appreciation of other brands, in particular AP has grown and grown. I just feel moving from Rolex into the holy trininty has opened my eyes to next level watches.

What is the holy trinity? AP, Patek and what else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
msnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 07:47 PM   #10
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I’ve stuck to mostly Rolex over the years and have recently started adding a few other brands that will most likely stay in the collection. I’m really starting to enjoy the diversity at this point of my collecting journey. It’s a natural progression/evolution for me.
Everybody has their own journey/comfort level in this hobby/passion, and I respect that. Variety is the spice of life as they say. To each their own!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 08:24 PM   #11
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
I have other (cheaper) watches but I like Rolex for design, build quality and comfort. The watches suit me well as they tend to be a bit smaller / thinner than the equivalent from other brands (e.g. GMTs).
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 08:25 PM   #12
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I guess if you like one sports rolex, you like most of them as they look alike.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 09:33 PM   #13
jerseyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Design, name, and value retention. These are the main reasons I keep coming back to the brand.
jerseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 09:33 PM   #14
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnow View Post

VC. Some argue it should be Lange.

BogdanS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 09:41 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Mostly because Rolex make good watches.

That said, there are a lot of other brands that make good reliable watches.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 10:04 PM   #16
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I can’t get on with the durability and feel of other watches. I have Tudor in my collection as well if that counts.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 10:26 PM   #17
Abfanhunter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post

Really it should, but think it gets overlooked for being German and not Swiss.
Abfanhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 10:33 PM   #18
docmarioce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnow View Post

Nop. Holy Trinity: Submariner Date, Daytona, Day-Date.
docmarioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 11:10 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I started with Rolex when I got into more expensive watches and have given a go to most of the more expensive brands. I always keep a few Rolex watches but have ventured out significantly. I am now in the process of bringing the expensive watches back to Rolex. Brings me more joy and fun to wear. I do not think I will have a Rolex only collection but probably one that is Rolex heavy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 11:16 PM   #20
Zeeee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post

Let’s make it a Holy Cross!!

PP - VC - AP - ALS.
Zeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 11:30 PM   #21
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I’m a watch collector not a Rolex collector. I still own my first watch, I’ve had it for fifty-five years. I’ve owned many interesting watches before Rolex and I’ve purchased many since. Rolex represents the top tier in my collection, it’s as far as I’m personally willing to stretch for a watch. There are many cheaper (I use that word intentionally) watches that bring me as much and occasionally more situational joy as Rolex. If I could only own Rolex I would be much less interested in watches.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 01:41 AM   #22
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I personally have good experience with Patek, and have heard good things about VC and Alange.

AP it seems like there’s two kinds of people, one that has had a terrible experience with the brand and they’ve been turned off, or one that eventually will.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 03:49 AM   #23
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Durability and aesthetics.
The one thing that I would never want is to spend more money on a fancier watch that is less durable.
Old 16 October 2023, 03:55 AM   #24
Subb
Banned

Nothing wrong with only collecting within a brand for whatever appreciation you have for that brand. Rolex obviously makes good watches however their notoriety puts it in a position where it is a brand used by many not as well appreciated watches for their craftsmanship or history but rather a status symbol that is just expensive and popular. While I believe this is a poor collecting philosophy, each to their own.
Subb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 04:05 AM   #25
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have owned many Patek’s, AP’s, VC’s, Lange’s, LF, JLC, IWC, etc over the years. I always come back to Rolex. So for me they just work best. They are durable and lasts a lifetime. They never go out of style and stick to their roots in each line. So for me I am now at the point in life where I only wear Rolex.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 04:41 AM   #26
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I have owned many Patek’s, AP’s, VC’s, Lange’s, LF, JLC, IWC, etc over the years. I always come back to Rolex. So for me they just work best. They are durable and lasts a lifetime. They never go out of style and stick to their roots in each line. So for me I am now at the point in life where I only wear Rolex.

I feel the same
Rolex is solid, timeless, exceptional value, and durable
Only non rolex i kept is5235r , which happens to be my favorite, omega speedmaster 321, and have a seiko padi prospex
Regret however selling AP 15202st, but then I remember i paid 20% off for it from AD in 2016 and sold it at peak, so thats my consolation lol

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 08:50 AM   #27
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Rolex is my favorite and I relate to the post from user “the dark knight” that it is a combo of a long time love of watches and the childhood dream for a Rolex.

That being said, I’ve ALWAYS favored the oyster case design and it could be attributed to the above reasons but I’m not sure. I’ve owned other brands through the years along with my Sub and I just never bonded to them the same. My Planet Ocean was beautiful but I never wore, I just always thought “I could be wearing my Sub right now”. I have a speedmaster because I do prefer the Omega chrono aesthetic but again I hardly wear that.

I DO, however, give my Tudors quite a bit of wrist time but one could argue they fit a “Rolex only” preference since they are based on similar design language.

I currently own 2 Rolex, 3 Tudor, and the Speedy. So it’s Rolex heavy influence. Sold the PO, and talked myself out of JLC and Panerai because it’s not worth the money to sit unworn in my watch box lol

Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 09:57 AM   #28
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I'm pretty much the opposite. I'm not really brand loyal to anything be it cars or watches or motorcycles or guitars or whatever. Variety is the spice of life, I say. In fact, the only exception I can think of is Blue Bell ice cream.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 10:25 AM   #29
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
At a young age I saw the Submariner, Explorers and Daytonas in magazines. The Submariner became my aspirational watch. The Rolex design aesthetic of the Rolex professional series pieces still appeals the most to me. My main collection consists of Rolex pieces and 1 Breitling Chronomat GMT that I really enjoy.
I have a few pieces some would call beaters (Seiko divers, Citizen, Timex) that get wrist time when wearing an expensive watch is not ideal.
I've had 2 APs, an Omega and IWC that I let go. They were nice but at the end of the day, I always preferred wearing one of my Rolex pieces.
I doubt I'll buy another expensive watch outside of the Rolex catalog but will likely focus more on PM Rolex pieces to augment my WG Submariner.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 01:07 PM   #30
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
Rolex is definitely the thickest part of my collection. But this very forum got me into other brands. Watching the WRUW threads over the years really sparked love in other brands.

Although rolex will always be top of my list, I also own panerai, omega, ap, and even a helson shark diver.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote