The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20 October 2014, 03:24 PM   #1
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona 116515 Review After One Week

Hello fellow TRF patrons. I would like to offer a brief review of the Rolex Daytona 116515 (Chocolate Daytona).

My initial impression was that the watch had a little bit more weight to it than I expected being a strap watch as opposed to Oyster bracelet. I must admit it was a pleasant surprise.

Overall the fit and finish of the dial, bezel, strap and deployment clasp are top notch as one would expect from Rolex. There is no easy link extension and the adjustments are done the old fashioned way, you have to push the pins in and move the strap about until it fits properly on your wrist. I have small wrists and had to adjust it to the smallest setting (furthest back), the watch still sits a little loose but I prefer it this way.

Everyday wear I would say it is the most comfortable Rolex I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. I also own and frequently wear a Rolex Daytona 116508 (Yellow Gold Oyster Bracelet) and although it is also very comfortable, it just isn't quite as pleasant as the strap on the 116515. The reduced weight, smoothness of the inside of the strap, combined with the low profile of the Daytona make it feel like theres almost nothing on your wrist. It fits under sleeves very well and although it is a solid gold model, I find that the strap gives it a casual side. This watch can be worn with jeans or a suit and it will look and feel great!

The dial does have quite a play in shade of color. It can go from being almost illegibly dark to quite legible based on the lighting conditions you are in. Also the lume is limited to a few indices (3,6,9) and the minute and hour hands. It is pretty weak, but it is there.

I find that the Arabic numerals do make reading the dial a breeze, and I do not have difficulties reading the chronograph subdials.....the aforementioned statement is under adequate lighting conditions only!

The biggest complaint that I have is that the Daytona font on the dial is in red and I personally don't think it matches well, but I understand this is merely my opinion and others may really like the red font

Pros:

Very Comfortable
Beautiful Dial
Low Profile, fits nicely under sleeves and jackets
Ceramic bezel isn't as prone to wear as the standard Daytona bezels
Arabic numerals

Cons:

Dial can be hard to read in low light
Lume is weak and sparse
Red Daytona font on dial

Overall Score 9/10

Pictures are unedited and used to show different play in dial color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 115515D.jpg (94.5 KB, 1934 views)
File Type: jpg 116515B.jpg (96.5 KB, 1921 views)
File Type: jpg 116515S.jpg (96.7 KB, 1925 views)
File Type: jpg 116515S2.jpg (75.0 KB, 1922 views)
File Type: jpg 116515wrist.jpg (95.6 KB, 1921 views)
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote