The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2019, 06:20 AM   #1
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Being a Rolex only guy?

Are there some of you a ''Rolex only guy?'

When i first came into watches in 2015 i liked to have a Submariner, it was the only Rolex i known however i didn't had the feeling that it was oke to buy one and gone for a Breitling Colt instead. I did had one watch untill i bought my first Rolex december 2017 a 114060 in november i noticed the Explorer 2 and i immediatly felt that it was a super cool watch however i would go for the Sub first and buy the explorer 2 perhaps later(white dial) I did bought it in June, and i absolute adore it. In the meanwhile i have searched literally all significant watch brands from low tier to high end and in between besides some of the high end jewelry complicated pieces. I had days that i liked Omega,Sinn,AP,PP,jlc and so fort however the only brand seems to stick on me is Rolex I like the AP 15400ST in blue white AND black buttt i feell that Rolex GMT's,Explorers and Sub's are all i really ''like'' I still like to watch other watches, i recognize them all immediatly in the street and perhaps would stare quite some time to whatever available but it simply doesn't do the same as a Rolex sports watch… Are there more Rolex only guys on this forum or am i classified as a narrow minded fool from now on???
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:25 AM   #2
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

You certainly are not the only one.

Rolex makes a great product and hits most anything you could want in a watch (for a price). Nothing wrong in stopping there.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:31 AM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Rolex is a good bet. Having worn watches for a long time I'd have to get rid of some to be a Rolex only guy. Most of my old watches don't work anymore however. Pretty much what I wear are Rolex watches however.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:34 AM   #4
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
i recognize them all immediatly in the street and perhaps would stare quite some time to whatever available but it simply doesn't do the same as a Rolex sports watch
I'd call that a marketing win. Rolex wants you be able to spot any Rolex wherever you go. It's really quite hard to miss a classic Oyster or Jubilee bracelet. And, the Submariner is probably the most copied design of all time. There's a reason it's never really changed; it just works!

I won't even get started on the President. That watch is so iconic I think just about anywhere you go that's always noticed as a Rolex.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:35 AM   #5
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Too many good and different pieces out there to limit yourself to one brand in my opinion. Diversification is always a good thing
Old 24 January 2019, 06:38 AM   #6
peterpl
Banned

There are way too many great and better brands than Rolex to simply limit yourself to only Rolex.

Rolex for the main part are simple 3 hand watches with simple complications like a chrono or a GMT and for the most part ALOT of their watches look almost exactly the same in terms of dial, markers and other aesthetic features.

Plenty of other brands to explore and have in ones collection.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:42 AM   #7
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
I'd call that a marketing win. Rolex wants you be able to spot any Rolex wherever you go. It's really quite hard to miss a classic Oyster or Jubilee bracelet. And, the Submariner is probably the most copied deign of all time. There's a reason it's never really changed; it just works!

I won't even get started on the President. That watch is so iconic I think just about anywhere you go that's always noticed as a Rolex.
I mean, i spot a watch whatever brand of the good watch brands immediatly from a distance IWC,Breitling,AP,PP,GS or whatever brand :) I mean, i have spend a lot of time searching all ''watches'' available and looking for ''winners'' i even have a document in my computer named ''watches'' with a shitlot of different watches from all kind of brands that i like on first sight etc
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:50 AM   #8
irate.alien
"TRF" Member

Nope. I've only got one. I have a white-dial Milgauss which for some reason is the one of the few Rolexes I've ever really liked. A 1016 could be in my future if I can control myself and my budget for a while. I also think the Sky Master has some really cool and innovative complications, I love the month display, especially.)

Basically, I like variety. I like looking down at my watch box and seeing a lot of wildly different styles. This will sound weird, but the only manufacture I could ever go one-brand for is Sinn. I'm a total fanboy.
irate.alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:55 AM   #9
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

i was not, I became one, I am no longer....
There are many many awesome watches out there so having a helicopter view of things help me notice them....

I have a Rolex, a Tudor, a Heuer, a Omega
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:59 AM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I like many brands, but sofar Rolex only, leaning to GS
Old 24 January 2019, 07:05 AM   #11
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'm not a Rolex-only kind of guy, but I have quite a few, and some Tudors, too.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:11 AM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve had Rolex since ‘84 but never exclusively. I currently have Rolex, Omega, Seiko, Oris, and a gaggle of microbrand dive watches. Had plenty of others along the way including Panerai and Breitling.
Too much cool stuff out there to be a one brander.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:12 AM   #13
Sammers23
"TRF" Member

Couldn't do it. I would miss IWC pilots, Seikos, and Omega Speedy too much, among others. Rolex have Oyster cases and solid, dependable watches dialled to perfection, but there's so much more out there to enjoy.
Sammers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:24 AM   #14
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I used to have Brietlings and Omegas in my collection but realized I never wore them. I accepted the fact I am a Rolex addict and that is what my collection now consists of.
Old 24 January 2019, 07:30 AM   #15
Norbert
"TRF" Member

How about a Rolex mostly guy? That's me.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:35 AM   #16
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Started off with Omega before going with Rolex, and apart from keeping just one Omega (Speedmaster Pro), it's been all Rolex since.....just too easy to get hooked on them....at least back in the day when you could get them.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:39 AM   #17
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
For me it's Rolex/Tudor, Omega and Seiko. I'm not opposed to anything else and there's some stuff from other guys I'd love to add in the future, but those just do it for me.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:45 AM   #18
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Not a narrow minded fool but I certainly think you're missing out on a lot! What Rolex do, they do very well. But they only do what they do! There's so much more. By preference I would only own one of any brand. Doesn't always work out that way but that's my ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:48 AM   #19
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
I'm a "Rolex only guy." I've seriously considered other brands, particularly Panerai and Blancpain, but I just can't see myself wearing them when I don't even wear the Tudor Pepsi I have.
Old 24 January 2019, 07:50 AM   #20
flal
"TRF" Member

As some others have said, there are so many other fantastic brands. I own watches ranging from Casios, to Timexes, to Pateks. It depends on what your purpose is and what really speaks to you. I actually was anti Rolex for so long and came to Rolex relatively recently despite collecting for decades beginning in my teens. I always thought Rolex was a status symbol for the masses and when I was much younger thought it was an old man’s watch. With time I saw the history of the brand and didn’t care what others thought and ultimate bought into the brand when I saw some pieces that I really loved and would complement my collection.

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is is buy what you want and what you love. If it’s only Rolex, then go for it. But don’t close yourself off to other brands that may be more or less “prestigious” and maybe not as recognizable to the general public. You never know what you may find and fall in love with.
flal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:51 AM   #21
Probert
"TRF" Member

My first watch was a quartz Omega Seamaster - it was great.

But since buying my first Rolex 11 years ago, I don't think I've taken a proper look at any other brand since. There is something truly special about the Rolex brand and product.

So yes - I consider myself a Rolex guy and I don't see that changing.

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:55 AM   #22
spect
Banned

I prefer to be a Rolex only guy, maybe an AP would look fresh on me as well but for now the Rolex just does it’s magic for me
spect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:07 AM   #23
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Plenty of Rolex only guys.....somewhat feel bad for them, so much they are missing. But to each their own as long as they're happy.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:13 AM   #24
mixxmaster
Banned

It’s good to explore I really don’t bring stock on one piece, although I get to wear my dress watches most times.
mixxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:27 AM   #25
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I have paired down my collection, so I have become more of a Rolex guy as the watches that leave have been non-Rolex. I do have a strong appreciation for other brands.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:42 AM   #26
lucid
Banned

I like to mix things, Rolex is by far my favorite piece but a little mix up sometimes works for me and my second favorite is the Omega and then maybe Tudor
lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:48 AM   #27
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
You can't really be a Rolex-only guy if you want/like a dress watch IMO
However, to each his own
Old 24 January 2019, 10:15 AM   #28
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Pretty much just a Rolex guy it keeps the bank account drained, don't know if I could afford any others .. lol
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:29 AM   #29
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
I'm a watch lover of all kinds. So I cannot only be Rolex. Although I have some friends that are only into Rolex.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:42 AM   #30
Geo444
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 16570 Polar
At this point Rolex only. I have had many other brands previously, but I sold them all to buy a second Rolex. Although I would like to add a moon watch to the mix.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Geo444 is offline   Reply With Quote