The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2024, 12:09 AM   #31
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I seem to recall a guy here who did that to the point of obsession.

But I admit that I do keep the Rolex Collateral. Because I often traded out and traded in watches, the buyers seemed to want these items too.

Complete sets moved quicker than "watch only" offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:31 AM   #32
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

If you are buying from original owner then box and papers might not mean much. There are stolen watches and fake watches out there. Buying from a reputable dealer should minimize the risk of a fake but that has even been reported on the forums. A reputable dealer should without issue refund the money. Stolen watches can create a pickle for you when you go to service with RSC and that can be years later. You can buy a watch without papers and immediately send to RSC but you are incurring additional cost immediately. So in the end, you must decide what risk you want to take by buying a watch without papers. A vintage watch with papers might be more difficult to come by but a modern Rolex without papers is a no go for many. Then you have the Rolex CPO watches that people are willing to pay a premium for to know it’s been service and verified and has 2 year warranty card. I guess box too. Many folks buy and sell watches regularly so they might not care but for some a bit more money up front to know that watch is not stolen.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:38 AM   #33
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

I will buy a pre-owned Rolex only if it is in superb condition, along with the box, papers, and the full set of bracelet links (which is often overlooked).
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 01:10 AM   #34
Achtung6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Diver
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
B&P is about a lot more than value. Most collectors of watches, or anything really, want all the bits and pieces that originally came with the item.

Porsches, guitars, old GI Joes, Rolexes, etc …. Original tags, boxes, tool kits, paperwork that come with items are often coveted. There’s an OCD element to collecting.
I agree...it's like the folks who lose box and papers or toss them are more likely to be the ones who lose all but one of they keys needed to drive their car....
Yes.....I'm OCD. So there.
Achtung6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 01:28 AM   #35
ShamRockNRoll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
The points made in this link are spot on. I am routinely shocked when I see so many folks here committed to the idea that box & papers are of any significant value or lend any real provenance to a watch – particularly vintage.

I also admit, like the quoted poster, that when I'm shopping for a modern watch I'd want them simply because it's so unlikely an original purchaser in the last couple years would just throw them away... but in my vintage browsing it's not a factor at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post
I will refer to this post from the CEO of Amsterdam Vintage Watches:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/watch...aign=share_via

However, I agree that for new-ish watches, I would not buy without box and papers, as everybody for these watches should know to keep the box and papers - otherwise there is too high a risk that the watch is stolen!
ShamRockNRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 01:29 AM   #36
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Haven’t bought a used Rolex ever…all mine came from AD but….if I was buying used the warranty card/sales receipt/service papers would be mandatory for me, something to prove its provenance. I am confident that I could verify the authenticity of those.
The box and manuals that came with it, not important. Those are generic, not specific to the watch, and added at the AD level.
I’m on MODA where a majority of sales are between reseller dealers. Watches are frequently offered as naked with “papers,” box and manuals optional for $200ish extra. Would not pay more than that for “complete package” seeing what it goes for wholesale.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 01:36 AM   #37
mismaeelbh
"TRF" Member

Today I bought a Sprite with papers, no box. Dated 2023. Papers are important to me as the watch is still under warranty and it adds to the provenance, but I am not too fussed about the box. I already have watch boxes coming out of my ears.
mismaeelbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 12:49 AM   #38
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post
I will refer to this post from the CEO of Amsterdam Vintage Watches:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/watch...aign=share_via
Written by a dealer who makes a living selling watches that often don't come with B&P. Of course he's going to say this!

Only thing I agree with in the article is that the lack of B&P shouldn't be a deal-breaker on an otherwise great vintage Rolex.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote