The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 October 2016, 02:15 AM   #31
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
They both got theirs last year

With that said, I'm not against the OLED! I just get sticker shock sometimes, Dan!
It's still expensive but it went down another $500 as of yesterday. By the time I noticed I had to wait until today to visit my local store.

I'm sure the price will drop even further as the Holidays approach and then again after they come out with their newer models next year. Hard to say how much and I imagine it'll depend how well they sell and how many they want to sell, but at least for me from the time started seriously considering one until I received my latest credit it was at least $1000 less.

After spending most of the weekend watching UHD and the Revenat in HDR I was extremely happy anyway. I decided to get the Samsung UHD Blu-Ray and A subscription to Netflix which has some 4K UHD and a few HDR shows. The HDR content just blows me away.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 02:29 AM   #32
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
We have a 4K Samsung that has been perfect. I forgot how big the screen is, but it is pretty big.

We need to upgrade the bedroom TV so this thread is interesting to me.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 02:39 AM   #33
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
We have a 4K Samsung that has been perfect. I forgot how big the screen is, but it is pretty big.

We need to upgrade the bedroom TV so this thread is interesting to me.

This is my first 4K TV so the difference has been huge although the true 4K content is extremely limited. However based on what I've read even those used to better PQ are extremely impressed with the PQ of these TVs and even the upgraded content tends to be better when compared to most other TVs.

However only you can evaluate whether you want it now or you are willing to wait. I have to imagine the prices will continue to go downward but it's extremely difficult to tell what improvements will be made on next years models.

Here's a site you might want to checkout in the meantime.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...anels-general/

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 4 October 2016, 09:20 AM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
This is my first 4K TV so the difference has been huge although the true 4K content is extremely limited. However based on what I've read even those used to better PQ are extremely impressed with the PQ of these TVs and even the upgraded content tends to be better when compared to most other TVs.

However only you can evaluate whether you want it now or you are willing to wait. I have to imagine the prices will continue to go downward but it's extremely difficult to tell what improvements will be made on next years models.

Here's a site you might want to checkout in the meantime.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...anels-general/
My dad has a Samsung 4K LED. Older HD content has a weird image distortion to the quality of the image. The feel is kind of like they were shot as TV movies, not big screen films.

Do you see that sort of image distortion on your OLED?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 10:19 AM   #35
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
My dad has a Samsung 4K LED. Older HD content has a weird image distortion to the quality of the image. The feel is kind of like they were shot as TV movies, not big screen films.

You might be describing "soap opera effect" which generally comes into play with higher refresh rates from HD/4K TVs. Something that can be turned off, if you want to look in the submenus of your dad's tv.

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-is...ke-it-go-away/
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 12:18 PM   #36
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
You might be describing "soap opera effect" which generally comes into play with higher refresh rates from HD/4K TVs. Something that can be turned off, if you want to look in the submenus of your dad's tv.

Thought the same thing when I read that. I haven't bought a TV in a couple of years, but I've gotten rid of the soap opera effect by putting the TV in "movie" mode. I've tried all the modes and that not only gets rid of that effect but gives the most natural picture quality to my eye.
Old 4 October 2016, 02:10 PM   #37
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

I've yet to watch any older 4K content that I know of. I've mainly been watching House of Cards and the one Blu-Ray UHD movie that I have.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 4 October 2016, 02:21 PM   #38
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Thought the same thing when I read that. I haven't bought a TV in a couple of years, but I've gotten rid of the soap opera effect by putting the TV in "movie" mode. I've tried all the modes and that not only gets rid of that effect but gives the most natural picture quality to my eye.
Thanks.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 02:23 AM   #39
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Im watching Marco Polo on Netflix in Dolby vision and it's like watching something right out my window. It's X times better than regular 4K content.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2016, 05:59 PM   #40
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Very interested in the LG E6 65".

I'm waiting for the prices to come down a little. Also nobody sells it on my island, and as far as I can tell, only one place doesn't on Oahu. And shipping from the Mainland is exorbitant.

Glad to hear that it's living up to its reputation.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:08 PM   #41
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Very interested in the LG E6 65".

I'm waiting for the prices to come down a little. Also nobody sells it on my island, and as far as I can tell, only one place doesn't on Oahu. And shipping from the Mainland is exorbitant.

Glad to hear that it's living up to its reputation.
For me it's been nothing but fabulous so far. I purchased my second 4K HDR movie last weekend and with Netflix I have been watching a good bit of 4K. But even HD content for me has been enjoyable as well.

Good luck, hope your able to get one soon.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2016, 11:25 PM   #42
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
If you build it, they will come.
Old 14 October 2016, 12:49 AM   #43
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
If you build it, they will come.
True

But it's no longer your fathers TV. 32 inch max, rabbit ears, snow, and possibly only black and white.

Wether this is the equivalent of Betamax or VHS only time will tell. I know it's not the end all be all either, but I've certainly been enjoying the difference. It's a larger screen size for me and the PQ has been a major improvement as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons