The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2024, 12:07 AM   #1
milgauss123
"TRF" Member

Advice for collector strategy

Hello,

I have two Rolex Milgauss 116400GV black dial watches. I purchased both myself from authorized Rolex dealer, and both have full box and documentation.

The first one, I purchased in 2012 and I am still wearing it. The second one, I purchased last year, few days before the announcement of discontinuation, and I never wore it.

I am planning to put one of my watches inside my safe and leave it to my newborn son, with the anticipation that it might be a valuable collection item 30 years from now.

I have some questions:

1. Do you think that this model is likely to be a valuable collector item in the future? Do you think that it is a good investment decision to not sell one of them now and keep it in a safe?

2. Would it make a big difference in terms of future worth that I keep the watch unworn, or can I wear it from time to time? If it will not make a big difference, then I might sell the 2012 watch and keep only the 2023 one.

3. As a general question: When storing watches for a long period of time, is it a wise idea to wind it up from time to time?

Thank you very much!
milgauss123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:43 AM   #2
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
There is no indication that it will be a more valuable reference than the average Rolex. It's good for watches to be worn and run from time to time.
Old 4 May 2024, 12:48 AM   #3
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
I would approach this more from the angle that you will be gifting your son a brand new version of the watch his Dad wore daily, which is far more important than any perceived future values.

No one can predict the future, but if I was planning on taking a gamble on a watch, I'd have picked one that is a more popular reference than a Milgauss.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 01:25 AM   #4
ATLSFO
"TRF" Member

Is the intent to gift your son a watch or gift your son a watch that has risen in value? Maybe it's both. I also question whether in 30 years today's infant will find a watch desirable...maybe, maybe not.
ATLSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 01:28 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Take all the money you have tied up in the watch and invest it at 6% for 30 years you’ll have $45k (using $8k as your original “investment”).
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 01:34 AM   #6
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss123 View Post
1. Do you think that this model is likely to be a valuable collector item in the future? Do you think that it is a good investment decision to not sell one of them now and keep it in a safe?

2. Would it make a big difference in terms of future worth that I keep the watch unworn, or can I wear it from time to time? If it will not make a big difference, then I might sell the 2012 watch and keep only the 2023 one.

3. As a general question: When storing watches for a long period of time, is it a wise idea to wind it up from time to time?
1. No, not even close to the real valuable collector items such as 4-digit Daytonas, Subs, etc. I would think that putting $ into an index fund for your child will easily outpace any increase in value of a 6-digit Rolex that never really had a big following. I'd continue to wear your daily Milgauss and then hand that down to him when he's 18. Forget about the "investment" aspect - it's not a Daytona LeMans!

2. Yes, unworn NOS will always be worth more than a worn watch. Check chrono24.com for a comparison of the two.

3. Not a bad idea to keep things moving, but oils and seals will dry out over time, no matter what.
Old 4 May 2024, 02:02 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I would purchase a CD or index fund in his name.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:09 AM   #8
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:58 AM   #9
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
The milgauss is not dissimilar to the Explorer II - mass produced and not the most popular. I could have bought an unworn 30 year old Polar this week for £6,500 so all it will most likely do is keep up with inflation.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:40 AM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

1. No.

2. Unknown, probably not a big difference.

3. Yes.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 05:18 AM   #11
milgauss123
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your replies. I understand that an unworn milgauss is not likely to be a valuable collector item in future. So I guess I will sell the old one and start wearing the one I purchased in 2023.
milgauss123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 07:00 AM   #12
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Take all the money you have tied up in the watch and invest it at 6% for 30 years you’ll have $45k (using $8k as your original “investment”).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I would purchase a CD or index fund in his name.
Agree. If you are doing this as an investment, don't. If you are doing it because you want to gift him something that his dad had, then yes.

That being said, when he grows up he may not be into watches or doesn't like the watch you picked out. So it may be best to sell the watch, invest the money and then when he is 18 take that money and buy him a watch that speaks to him.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 07:21 AM   #13
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Keep one in the box.

Wear the other.

At the right age, have yours full serviced and polished (try to have this be the first polish).

Give the newly-serviced watch to your son.

Put on the one you kept in a box. He gets the heirloom, you get a brand new version of your watch!

Subscribe to my newsletter for more great solutions to life's dilemmas.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 09:37 AM   #14
Submariner2019
"TRF" Member

Hi OP,
If it were me, I’d sell one of the watches and put the money in a brokerage account in his name and buy a index fund (like others have suggested) or buy any blue chip stock with the money. It’s easy to buy/sell and he’ll learn the value of investing. You can always give him your watch when he is older and get a new one yourself. When he is older, (trust me) he’ll be in tears of your sacrifice and appreciate what you did for him. Not many parents sacrifice for their kids anymore.
Submariner2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 11:43 AM   #15
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Was told long time ago when collecting anything buy 3 of each.

Use one and put 2 away unused. When the price increases enough to pay for the 2 you want to keep sell the 3rd unused one.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:46 PM   #16
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

I agree, OP sell one which ever you choose and put in account for your kids future or schooling. You can always buy him a watch later. Education is more important for his future than a watch.
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:47 PM   #17
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It’s always nice thought to pass something on like a watch but not as an investment.
As others have mentioned you’ll find easier ways to make money by investing your money after all watches are for wearing
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:00 PM   #18
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
In my mind when I look back at the watches my Dad wore when I was a kid I know that while they were appropriate for him at that time I wouldn’t wear any of them now. I say sell the one in the box, either now or later if prices rise again, and keep wearing the one you’ve been wearing. That way you’re not locking up a bunch of dough in a new watch that may be horribly out of fashion in a few decades and in the off chance that it isn’t you can leave him the one you’ve been wearing all along, the one that carries your memories.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 11:58 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Keep the one you have been wearing. Get the best price for the NIB one and take the funds and find yourself a watch you like and would wear as a second. When your son is old enough, and if he is into watches, then offer him either.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 12:38 AM   #20
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

I think you would do much better from a financial point investing the money elsewhere. Don’t buy Rivian though….
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 12:55 AM   #21
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
I would approach this more from the angle that you will be gifting your son a brand new version of the watch his Dad wore daily, which is far more important than any perceived future values.

No one can predict the future, but if I was planning on taking a gamble on a watch, I'd have picked one that is a more popular reference than a Milgauss.

Quote:
Thank you for your replies. I understand that an unworn milgauss is not likely to be a valuable collector item in future. So I guess I will sell the old one and start wearing the one I purchased in 2023.

OP Scottyboy has a point if that’s your 1st Rolex and daily watch. I think it would be cool to gift your son a brand new watch you rocked. But you got to wind every now and then you can’t just leave it there for 30 yrs… or just sell the new one and get you another watch and continue your collection and then give your son several watches later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 06:00 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

So are you saying he's never going to see you wear it? It's just going to sit in a safe? Why would he connect a watch in a safe for forever with you. If i may humbly make a suggestion.

Wear it often, let your child see you wearing it many, many days. This way when you leave it to them they have a 'connection' of you to your timepiece.

Added Note: When dad gave me his 1971 Omega Dynamic, yes it was glorious seeing it and wearing it... yet the TRUE CONNECTION was in the jangly sound of the bracelet. It was the sound that, in a sense, was simply part of 'dad'. If his Omega was a safe queen i'd have zero connection to it.

jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 06:07 AM   #23
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
They mass produce these things in 4 massive factories (and building more)

It may command a nice little premium down the line but nothing remotely life changing. Rather enjoy them where your feet are while you can
Old 5 May 2024, 06:20 AM   #24
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Good idea. Watches are toys. A wise “investment “ is typically found in stocks and real estate. These are for fun, and the fact that they hold some value is just a bonus.