The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 20 July 2014, 08:22 PM   #1
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Icon11 So much for my resolve, my new Mont Blanc Le Grand Red Gold 90th Anniversary

It makes me like a hippocrite in my previous post, the look, the feel, the writing is so incredible, it was the determining factor in buying this pen.

I attached one of the few letters that I am developing in my new font. Yes I seen this online, but most of my lettering will be a mixture of variations.

I simply am going to find it too difficult to put the pen down. The MB Midnight Blue looks outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.5 KB, 188 views)
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 10:49 PM   #2
bmwboris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Photos please!!!!!
bmwboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Nib

Here is the nib. There's plenty of other posts of the pen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s_0321.jpg (192.6 KB, 184 views)
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen
Old 22 July 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

Wow very nice
I'm waiting on a 149 90th Anniversary myself getting an OBBB nib made up in the factory

Your nib looks like a broad....did I guess right?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 01:40 AM   #5
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Spot on lol. I abolutely love this pen. This pen is obviously a lady because I love holding her.

Consider the 149 if you intend writing with it for extended periods of time. If you don't have a large hand, it may be fatiguing. The 146 feels like a star walker to hold so if youre very comfortable with a Star Walker consider examiming the 146 LeGrand.

The 149 comes with a bottle of ink.
Old 22 July 2014, 11:17 PM   #6
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Blimmy I'm going to spend money soon... Very nice pen mate!
Steve I really look forward to seeing your OBBB. That's for signature right? you can't take notes with it, can you?
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Icon12 I simply cannot stop writing with it/her

The MB Meisterstuck 90th LeGrand Broad nib pen is so smooth to write with. When you write with it using the Midnight Blue ink, that kind of dark navy blue is so lively, IMHO nicer than any kind of black ink.

It looks incredible on white paper as it is, but everyone has done the white paper reviews to death.
Old 22 July 2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

I find writing with a 149 very comfortable, but I am now used to writing with it for a number of years.
I can write with the 149 without a problem of the thickness of the nib. The oblique characteristic to the nib gives it a stylistic variation to the angle of the stroke of the pen.
I find the nib is perfect for me, and I can still write quite small with it, but with obvious emphasis. It is great for marking the mistakes on my 1st year lawyers mistakes on their draft letters and documents.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 23 July 2014, 12:01 AM   #9
Lol-x
Facilitator

I'm getting a bottle of that MB 90th Anniversary ink too

Now I just need a Rose Gold Daytona to go with the 90th Anniversary Montblanc 149. Now that would be a remarkable duo

Old 23 July 2014, 12:10 AM   #10
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Nice one lolz. I would imagine when my writing style gets more advanced and varied, I would eventually get a broader or oblique nib on a 149. I will see how things go.

I would more be in the market for another Rolex. Always wanted a two tone blue sub mariner with the electric blue dial.

I have a rose gold Mont blanc belt, that is very nice, goes nicely with my pens.
Old 23 July 2014, 05:09 AM   #11
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling72 View Post
The MB Meisterstuck 90th LeGrand Broad nib pen is so smooth to write with. When you write with it using the Midnight Blue ink, that kind of dark navy blue is so lively, IMHO nicer than any kind of black ink.

It looks incredible on white paper as it is, but everyone has done the white paper reviews to death.
I know we all prefer different types of pens as well as Nibs but I do like your new pen. I prefer the smaller sized Fountain pens with much smaller Nibs...such as Extra-fine(XF) or even smaller such as Accountant & Needle Nibs. But your newer pens such as MontBlanc, Parker, Sheaffer and Pelikan usually only come in Fine as your only option for smaller Nibs. Usually you need to look for Vintage pens as they would and could come with the smaller gold Nibs and also from the 1920's and 1930's with flexible gold Nibs. But sometimes you can get lucky and find them with Xf Nibs so for newer Fountain pens with smaller type Nibs you need to look at the Japanese companies and their very fine writing instruments. Companies such as Sailor, Namiki-Pilot and Platinum produce very fine quality Nibs. Another interesting fact is when comparing Nibs from Japanese manufactured Fountain pens(this is just a general rule but there are exceptions...as always) in comparison to European or American manufacturers their Nibs such as Fine and Medium will lay down a finer line when writing or printing!!!

As for different inks and colors I really like the many options we are fortunate to have access too. Right now my two favorite inks(and have been for a couple of years) are an Oyster Gray and Bordeaux Red(just found out this color is discontinued and replaced by a slightly darker Red) both sold by MontBlanc. I also like the Blue-Black, Toffee and many others. Also I like and prefer using convertors which are easily rinsed out between fillings...whether changing colors or keeping my EDC Fountain pens cleaned up and filled each week!!!

Take care.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I find writing with a 149 very comfortable, but I am now used to writing with it for a number of years.
I can write with the 149 without a problem of the thickness of the nib. The oblique characteristic to the nib gives it a stylistic variation to the angle of the stroke of the pen.
I find the nib is perfect for me, and I can still write quite small with it, but with obvious emphasis. It is great for marking the mistakes on my 1st year lawyers mistakes on their draft letters and documents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I'm getting a bottle of that MB 90th Anniversary ink too

Now I just need a Rose Gold Daytona to go with the 90th Anniversary Montblanc 149. Now that would be a remarkable duo

Being that I am a smaller sized-man, 5'5," with very small hands I have found the smaller sized Fountain pens to be the most comfortable for me to use. I have been inflicted with Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis for over 30 years and favoring my right hand(I'm ambidextrous), it has been difficult to write with any type of writing instrument. Starting over 15 years ago my right wrist and right thumb have become both permanently dislocated. So it's very painful to write, type or do just about anything and everything. The best way for me to explain how I hold a pen is comparable to how left-handed people hold and write but with me, using my right hand and wrist instead. As of about 5 years ago, the is same slow process that produced my changed hands and wrists is occurring to my left hand and wrist as I write!!!

Oh.....as for being "Short," I prefer the terminology of being "vertically challenged"!!! LOL!!!
Take care.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 07:16 AM   #13
raky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
Congrats. I have a Mont Blanc that was a gift to me. I really have only used it at important meetings or interviews. Your post is inspiring in that I have spent the better part of an hour working on my handwriting. Any tips on how you are developing your new font?
raky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Thanks raky. There is an awesome german calligrapher who inspires some of my ideas. He makes calligraphy look so easy. I look on the net to look for variations of lettering and let my hand wander on the paper, loosely. I keep varying until I find something that I like. I like my captial D so I will post a few of the letters and numbers I done.

Calligraphy is great there is no right or wrong style if it is your own.

You just need a lot of ink, a few nibs to compare and a lot of paper.

I found inspiring mudic from yanni

Whispers in the dark

Play that whilst you write very slowly.

Its an incredible experience.

Enjoy your favourite pens, life is too short