The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11 April 2024, 02:08 AM   #1
moevette
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub two-tone black
Dent in clasp of Submariner band

First, I'd like to thank this Forum for all the knowledge I've gained over the last 15 years. This is the premiere location for Rolex information.

I retired after 30 years of service and finally pulled the plug on a Rolex Sub two tone black (my 3rd Rolex). I purchased it from E-Bay after searching for about a month. I purchased a 2019 with box and all the papers from a seller called "Windy City Liquidations". They've been on E-Bay for 5+ years and have sold a couple luxury watches among artwork and collectibles. The watch was described as "mint" and I paid 13k.

I received the watch from the E Bay authenticator and recorded the opening of the package for documentation. Everything appeared to be in order, so I removed the red paper seal around the band so I can try it on. The watch band needed adjusting but when I tried the glidelock, it was stuck. Upon close examination, I discovered a small crease or dent on the side of the clasp. It's very difficult to notice, however it's a deep enough of a dent to prevent the glidelock from sliding and I don't want to force it.

I went back to the listing a reviewed the pictures on the listing. There is one picture taken straight forward where you can see something there, but I assumed it was a glare as the rest of watch and band are in beautiful condition. If there was an angled photo, the dent would be visible so it was an obvious effort to mislead. The seller described the watch as "mint" and never mentioned anything about a dented clasp or the inability of the glidelock to adjust.

I contacted the seller who said, "what did you expect, it was the cheapest Rolex on E Bay". I told him I expected the watch to be in the "mint" description as described and it certainly was not the cheapest Rolex on E Bay. I told him the listing was misleading and photo deceitful. It was also listed as "under warranty" however the Rolex warranty expired March 2024.

In further communication with seller, he was rude and insulting. He did at one point say to contact E Bay and open a case to send it back. But honestly, I don't trust this person any longer and fear sending the watch back to him as he may claim I damaged something. I love the watch otherwise. I see there are rubber wristbands on the market designed to protect watches from body sweat. I could see if wearing one would make the watch fit properly. If I were to gain weight, I'd have a problem (perhaps the Rolex will be a motivator to stay fit LOL).

Anyway, I don't have an AD in town but wondered if the dent could possibly be pushed out enough to allow the glidelock to move. What do you guys think? Return the watch and trust this seller again, keep the watch and maintain my weight or have Rolex Service look at removing the dent? (my guess is they'll want to sell me a new clasp for $1700).

I appreciate everyone here.
moevette is offline   Reply With Quote