The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2012, 11:27 PM   #1
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
Rolex News - Hot Off The Press - 9/1/12

"Greg Norman has now twice been snubbed by sponsor Rolex in recent weeks as part of what he calls a "deep and ugly story".

Norman, currently an ambassador for Swiss watchmaker Omega, is finding out that rival sponsor Rolex has little time for him.

The Australian was at Gleneagles on Monday to host a Johnnie Walker-sponsored clinic prior to making his way to Switzerland for this week's European Masters, but when rain prevented the clinic from going ahead he figured he'd head to the press room and watch Jose Maria Olazabal announce his two wild card picks for the European Ryder Cup team - of which Rolex is one of five sponsors.

The Omega man was told, however, that he was not welcome at the press conference.

"It's a long story but Rolex just wouldn't allow me to be present in the room," Norman told Golfinternationalmag.com.

"What was annoying is that Jose Maria and I have been mates for 30 years, and besides he later came up to me to apologise for what happened.

"He just wanted me to know that it wasn't him who didn't want me in the press conference.

"Of course, I was in Scotland for Johnnie Walker and they're one of the Ryder Cup and Tour sponsors, so it's a deep and ugly story."

It's not the first time Norman has found himself at odds with the watchmaker. He was also told he was not welcome to participate in the British Senior Open Pro-Am, and this at the course where he won the 1986 Open Championship.

Incidentally, the official name of the tournament is now 'The Senior Open presented by Rolex'.

Norman was reluctant to go into any depth, but said: "It would be too much energy to go into it but Rolex actually had me removed from the Pro-Am, so that's when it all started," he said.

"I'm disgusted by it all and it's never ever happened before in my entire life."

OK, Dear Rolex Experts on TRF - WTF - Why would Rolex do this to Norman? He is a great golfer, a great guy, highly respected and also makes some pretty decent wine. So, What's The Story?????

DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 11:46 PM   #2
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
My guess is they feel that he "supports the competition".

Always two sides to every story so it would interesting to find out what Rolex thinks of Greg.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 12:33 AM   #3
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Thanks for shaing. It's business after all and he works for the competitor. Who knows if there's a back story between Greg and Rolex we are not ware of. Of course, maybe Greg should be more like Daniel Craig and wear his Rolexes everywhere except when Omega is paying him to wear their watches, ie., the Bond movies. Brad Pitt was/is a spokerson for Tag but usually is spotted wearing Rolexes too whenever he wasn't selling for Tag.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Pretty obvious if you ask me. Competion, and ROLEX does not take that lightly.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:00 AM   #5
kmleffler
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SD GMT
I am not a Greg Norman fan, but I think Rolex is being ridiculous. Given what they did with Norman maybe they are going to try to ban a number of the European golf pros from the Ryder Cup team who are sponsored by AP. Does anyone really care which golf pros sponsor which watches.
kmleffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Yea that does seem a bit childish, competition or not.
Watchflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:07 AM   #7
Hvac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blk SubC Diamonds
There has to be more to the story. They (Rolex) support many PGA Tour events and have never kicked out one of the top players in the world Rory Mcilroy because he is a HUGE AP fan and wears the logo on his shirt (they are one of his many sponsors)..Or many other top players who wear other makers watches....

There just has to be a bad past between Norman and Rolex or something more to that story...
Old 2 September 2012, 01:12 AM   #8
MonBK
Banned

x2
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:33 AM   #9
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Pretty petty and surprising, probably more behind the story.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:33 AM   #10
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
It's not personal, it's just business.
Old 2 September 2012, 01:39 AM   #11
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Not exactly a sob story, a wealthy, famous golfer, who is sponsored by Omega wasn't allowed into a press conference sponsored by rival luxury watch maker. I wouldn't exactly call this a deep and ugly story. I think Mr. Norman should have a conversation with someone that has real troubles to get some perspective on things.
Old 2 September 2012, 01:40 AM   #12
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Thanks for shaing. It's business after all and he works for the competitor. Who knows if there's a back story between Greg and Rolex we are not ware of. Of course, maybe Greg should be more like Daniel Craig and wear his Rolexes everywhere except when Omega is paying him to wear their watches, ie., the Bond movies. Brad Pitt was/is a spokerson for Tag but usually is spotted wearing Rolexes too whenever he wasn't selling for Tag.
There are many photos around of Brad Pitt when he was a spokesperson for Rolex in Asia many years ago, before it was unpopular for high profile celebrities to do advertising in the US.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:40 AM   #13
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Rolex pays the bils, they call the shots.....If Norman doesnt like it, who cares.. He gets paid by Omega.....He should have known of the conflict of interest.
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:47 AM   #14
Quackers
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Aren't we talking here about a golfer who went to watch his friend of 30 years or so make a speech on his Ryder Cup captain's picks?
So Rolex doesn't like his watch sponsor and sees him off.
Odd.
I wonder if Rory and G-Mac will be able to play in the Ryder Cup team, being AP sponsored?

Honestly, what's next? It's a joke, surely?
It's making me laugh, anyway.
Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 02:54 AM   #15
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeth View Post
Rolex pays the bils, they call the shots.....If Norman doesnt like it, who cares.. He gets paid by Omega.....He should have known of the conflict of interest.
When you wear the colors of a rival gang, you can't be naive enough to expect open arms.

That said, by barring him, Rolex puts themselves in a poor light.

Maybe asking him to put his Omega in his pocket and not wear any Omega logos on his body during the press conference would have sufficed.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 02:56 AM   #16
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

I find it a little galling that they can do that and yet have Roger Federer strapping his Rolex on moments after his Olympic tennis final (in an Omega affiliated event). Disrespectful to one of the greats of the game
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 02:57 AM   #17
joe100

Watch: Explorer
First world problems. Have you ever seen photos of Norman's Yacht? Who cares if Rolex kicked him out. He will be fine.
Old 2 September 2012, 02:58 AM   #18
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
I find it a little galling that they can do that and yet have Roger Federer strapping his Rolex on moments after his Olympic tennis final (in an Omega affiliated event). Disrespectful to one of the greats of the game
x2, he's most likely told by Rolex to do so.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 03:00 AM   #19
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
x2, he's most likely told by Rolex to do so.
Absolutely, it's all politics, and all rather childish!
Old 2 September 2012, 03:07 AM   #20
RolexDivers
Banned

I am scared of two entities coming after me:

1) IRS -- It is ruthless when it comes to money owed
2) ROLEX --- see IRS

Nobody else scares me ....
RolexDivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 03:10 AM   #21
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I guess it shows how seriously Rolex sees Omega as a threat to their future that they choose to bar a hall of fame golfer from their event. It seems to me a little small minded on the part of Rolex, but if that's how they play the game, let's see what Omega does next.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 03:11 AM   #22
joe100

Watch: Explorer
The old saying used to be " the only thing I have to do is pay taxes and die" now I think it should be revised: " the only things I have to do are pay Rolex and die"
Old 2 September 2012, 03:24 AM   #23
Lol-x
Facilitator

I think this is Norman spinning a story....

If it was a Rolex endorsed press conference it had nothing to do with Norman or Omega, so why doesn't Norman gracefully 'butt out'. Norman can go to his own Omega press conference and enjoy himself.

It sounds like Norman had nothing better to do than make a nuisance of himself because his clinic got washed out....

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 03:29 AM   #24
Quackers
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I think this is Norman spinning a story....

If it was a Rolex endorsed press conference it had nothing to do with Norman or Omega, so why doesn't Norman gracefully 'butt out'. Norman can go to his own Omega press conference and enjoy himself.

It sounds like Norman had nothing better to do than make a nuisance of himself because his clinic got washed out....
Because.............he'd have much to gain from that?
Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 03:44 AM   #25
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Norman is in a ROLEX tournament, if he doesnt like been told what to do by the MAJOR sponsor because he is been paid to wear Omega, well tough titties as they say. Not that he needs the cash, if he doesnt like it, he can always leave the tournament.
You are in a tournament, respect the major sponsors wishes or dont bother attending.
Old 2 September 2012, 03:54 AM   #26
Cru Jones

Maybe Rolex should also ban non-Rolex-sponsored golfers from playing in their sponsored tournaments, too. That way, Tiger might win a few more tournaments.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 04:52 AM   #27
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater156 View Post
Not exactly a sob story, a wealthy, famous golfer, who is sponsored by Omega wasn't allowed into a press conference sponsored by rival luxury watch maker. I wouldn't exactly call this a deep and ugly story. I think Mr. Norman should have a conversation with someone that has real troubles to get some perspective on things.
Well said, it seems like he was quite naive to think it would work that easily for him. I don't see how Rolex owes him that (or anything for that matter).
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 04:59 AM   #28
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeth View Post
Norman is in a ROLEX tournament, if he doesnt like been told what to do by the MAJOR sponsor because he is been paid to wear Omega, well tough titties as they say. Not that he needs the cash, if he doesnt like it, he can always leave the tournament.
You are in a tournament, respect the major sponsors wishes or dont bother attending.
It still seems somewhat odd, watch sponsorships and golf seem to go hand in hand, I've never heard of arguments like this before. There's a lot of competitiveness when it comes to sponsorship between the two brands right now, and it's all beginning to get a bit ugly! Shame it just can't be about the golf, eh?
Old 2 September 2012, 05:08 AM   #29
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It still seems somewhat odd, watch sponsorships and golf seem to go hand in hand, I've never heard of arguments like this before. There's a lot of competitiveness when it comes to sponsorship between the two brands right now, and it's all beginning to get a bit ugly! Shame it just can't be about the golf, eh?
I agree mate, the game does not need sponsorship wars and unfortunately the players are been dragged into it because they make lots of $$$$ being sponsored by the major watch companies.

Old 2 September 2012, 06:14 AM   #30
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater156 View Post
Someone who speaks sense - thanks.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote