The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2023, 07:15 AM   #1
SuperOcean
"TRF" Member

Breitling SuperOcean A17375 42mm

Hello everyone, few months ago my father bought me new Breitling SuperOcean A17375 42 mm, blue dial on a blue rubber strap with new Breitling clasp, as a gift for my 30th birthday. I fell in love with the watch immediately and every time I put it on my wrist I feel joy and excitement and few days ago I put it on new metal bracelet from Breitling with polished central links and started enjoying it even more.

Recently, reading youtube and reddit comments I realised a lot of people bashing this watch and mainly because it doesn’t have an in house movement and is using Eta.

My question is, what is your take on this watch given the fact that is Chronometer grade and very very precise timepiece with overall high quallity finisihed on the case and bracelet?
SuperOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 06:49 PM   #2
Qwarktastic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 114060
Hello SuperOcean. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the watch, terrific piece! I happen to have the same ref myself with the white dial and I'm totally with you on the appeal of the watch.

It has great proportions, finishing and design IMO. The criticism comes from the fact they're charging >£4k for a watch with 'only' a Sellita SW200, and it's fair criticism when you consider the value you get from something like a Tudor for about a grand less.

Regardless, it's a cracking piece which does everything right with chronometer accuracy. If you enjoy wearing it and it brings you a bit of happiness then that's all that matters.
Qwarktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 08:10 PM   #3
SuperOcean
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your reply :) how do you compare it with other watches in your collection?
Old 1 November 2023, 08:11 PM   #4
SuperOcean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwarktastic View Post
Hello SuperOcean. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the watch, terrific piece! I happen to have the same ref myself with the white dial and I'm totally with you on the appeal of the watch.

It has great proportions, finishing and design IMO. The criticism comes from the fact they're charging >£4k for a watch with 'only' a Sellita SW200, and it's fair criticism when you consider the value you get from something like a Tudor for about a grand less.

Regardless, it's a cracking piece which does everything right with chronometer accuracy. If you enjoy wearing it and it brings you a bit of happiness then that's all that matters.
Thanks for your reply :) how do you compare it with other watches in your collection?
Old 1 November 2023, 08:37 PM   #5
Qwarktastic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 114060
No worries! Compared to my other divers... it's a step up from my Tudor Black Bay Burgundy on finishing/proportions and about equivalent to my 2012 Omega SMP. It's not quite on the level of my 114060 though.

Not that any of that really matters too much, I just like the individual styles of those watches. All the best and enjoy the piece!
Qwarktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 09:51 PM   #6
SuperOcean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwarktastic View Post
No worries! Compared to my other divers... it's a step up from my Tudor Black Bay Burgundy on finishing/proportions and about equivalent to my 2012 Omega SMP. It's not quite on the level of my 114060 though.

Not that any of that really matters too much, I just like the individual styles of those watches. All the best and enjoy the piece!
Thank you very much! I hope one day to have a collection as impressive as yours! :))
Old 3 November 2023, 01:30 PM   #7
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, as that's a really nice watch! I don't yet own one, but I am seriously thinking about the yellow dial version on a bracelet. I will admit that I wish it used the Tudor movement like on the SuperOcean Heritage II (I own the brown version), but the Selita wouldn't be a make or break factor for me if I really liked the watch and could get a good discount. For me, overall, Breitling slots above Tudor and below Omega and Rolex, but the price points reflect this and design is really the main factor for me. The quality of the dial, case, and bracelet of the Breitling are excellent. To me, Tag Heuer, Tudor, Breitling, Omega, and Rolex all occupy the same luxury sport watch segment and although there may be a hierarchy among them, all are great watches and happily share spots next to one another in my watch box.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 11:30 AM   #8
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

It's a great piece with excellent fit and finish. The only reason people are bashing it is the movement is not in-house and it's priced ambitiously. However, it's worth noting a few things.
- the pricing is in line with current Breitling releases, as they're trying to move 'up' a bit. Nothing wrong with that. The current Navitimer is knocking on the door of $10K list on the bracelet. Whether people feel these watches are worth that, time will tell. Discounts can still be had though.
- the ETA 2892 (and Sellita SW300 series which are based on this) are absolute workhorse movements. Dead reliable, super tough, easy to service, time tested.

Be happy with your piece, it's a really good one!
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 05:44 AM   #9
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I think it's a great looking watch and would worry about the movement. It has better proportions than the Tudor BB 41. Shorter Lug to lug even though the Breitling is 42mm and Tudor is 41mm. Thinner as well.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 02:11 AM   #10
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I think it's a great looking watch and would worry about the movement. It has better proportions than the Tudor BB 41. Shorter Lug to lug even though the Breitling is 42mm and Tudor is 41mm. Thinner as well.
Meant to say "wouldn't" worry
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 07:11 AM   #11
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Welcome
First of all Congrats on your new Breitling. You don’t have to worry about non in-house movement. Maybe it’s not nicely finished as in-house Breitling movements but you have closed case back so you can’t take a look. So non in-house movements are easier and cheaper to service and most of watchmakers can do it for you and I would like to ask that spear parts will be available easier and service time will be quicker. Enjoy it
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 09:21 AM   #12
sp3ak
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36, and more!
In my opinion, your opening statement is all that matters and screw what the internet says. What a wonderful gift to be given. Wear it, love it, enjoy it.
sp3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2024, 12:52 PM   #13
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have been wearing this watch for years. It is my go to watch for the beach and roughing it up with my grand children. Lack of in house movement never bothered me. Both my Breitlings keep time at least as accurately or better than my Rolex, Omega, or Cartier watches. Welcome to the forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4809 (1).jpeg (47.3 KB, 97 views)
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2024, 06:33 AM   #14
ButWhy
"TRF" Member

I fell in love with the watch immediately and every time I put it on my wrist I feel joy and excitement.

This is all that matters. Sounds like you have an awesome father as well. Enjly it.
ButWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2024, 11:14 AM   #15
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Something to bear in mind is that the Breitling 17 movement that your watch contains isn’t strictly an ETA (or Selitta movement), but rather it’s “based on” that movement.

Some folks who dismiss these movements do so because they’re not “in house” or even (in the case of the 2824 movement) because they’re not the “better” 2892 movement.

But to do so indicates a lack of understanding about what’s going on here.

Firstly, Breitling don’t make a random decision about which movements to use as a base. They deliberately choose the 2824 rather than the 2892 because they consider it more rugged - important for a divers watch

Secondly, Breitling (like many watch manufacturers) don’t buy in finished movements, but rather an “ebauche” (the plates, bridges, wheels etc) then add probably their own escapement, balance wheel etc, and fit them in their own factory. So, while it’s not an “in house” movement, it’s not just plonked in either!

There’s an awful lot in the “fitting”. I have two Breitling watches with ETA based movements, and their performance is superb. It’s certainly a league above those watches with movements that are bought in and installed complete.

It’s a great gift from your Father, and quite rightly you obviously love it!

Enjoy it for the quality and style that it is, and ignore the haters, most of who probably can’t afford a Casio…
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote