The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2024, 07:26 AM   #1
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

Getting a Rolex in Colorado

I guess I’m not the only one dealing with the same issues and frustrations but…
What are the chances of getting a Rolex in Colorado without having any previous history with AD? I have some Omegas, Tudors, nice Seiko’s and plenty of other watches in my collection, but I’ve never had any Rolex. Figured I’ll reorganize my collection a little bit and try to get my first Rolex - Polar Explorer 2 to commemorate my 40th birthday. My ultimate grail for years was always a Pepsi GMT but chance of getting one are obviously zero to none. My 40th birthday was last year so didn’t work already. Anyways, I went to Rolex AD a few months ago and expressed my interest in white dial Explorer 2, they put me on a list (or whatever they use nowadays) without giving me any high hopes. I followed up few months later but basically heard the same story - the availability is low, the demand is huge and they can’t tell me anything when or if ever at all I will get a watch. I went to another AD in Denver area last week (Williams), had a nice experience but was told there’s basically zero chance of getting an Explorer 2 this year. So one more time I left an AD basically without any hope of ever getting one. The only positive outcome I guess was that my wife got hooked into Yachtmaster 37, and it had been hard for me to convince her to wear any watch so far other than her vintage Omega lol. I mean she was excited until she got back home and did some reaserch online, read some stories what it gets and how it looks like to get any Rolex from AD…
What is your experience as far as getting a watch from AD in Colorado without any history or relationship with AD? Which AD is the best choice? I’m trying to build a relationship but I’m like 1.5h one way from any AD, and going there and leaving with nothing on the horizon every time is not a great experience to say the least. I’m slowly loosing my hope and getting frustrated to be honest…
I know the market is not that hot anymore and that probably I could even get an Explorer II not much over msrp but getting a watch brand new with the AD is different than buying online. I had a great experience with Omega AD when I was getting my Seamaster and the Speedy and they still have a special place in my collection, so would like my Rolexes to be the same.
luk4s83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 08:30 AM   #2
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

No experience in Colorado but my preferred method is to use one of my business cards and put my personal phone number on it and the watch model I want and then leave it with the SA. I find it helps them put a name with a face and you never do know. An Explorer 2 might come in and others ahead of you turn it down, or the SA takes a shine to you and gets you an allocation.

Plenty of incomings here where someone got a call months or years later. Sure, there are people who wait years and never get a call, but I always feel like they're dealing with dealers in areas with lots and lots of whales who the AD wants to keep happy. Of course, what do I really know? I'm just a guy on the internet.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 08:34 AM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have bought stuff from Williams before and am still on the list for an Explorer but do not expect anything to materialize in the next few months or longer. They do have a good availability of Tudors but are in the same boat as everyone else for Rolex. Same situation at Hyde Park.

Honestly, if you are looking for something within the next two or three years…. I would go grey. I have bought several this way back in the day.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 09:21 AM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’ve purchased many watches in Denver but more from out of state ADs than in CO. Good luck with your search.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 09:52 AM   #5
Snipe10
"TRF" Member

Bought from Hyde Park, Williams, and Betteridge up in Vail. It takes some time and while I won't buy "other stuff" to smooth the wheels, I do shop at those stores when buying something for my wife for an anniversary, bday, Valentines Day, Christmas, etc. She does like jewelry so that helps. I'd never buy something I didn't want just to move up a list, but it does help to patronize AD's. When you go in, find a SA you like and develop a relationship. Only shop and talk with that person! I've even taken them gifts from time to time. Luckily I have a good relationship with all three and can usually get what I want within six months or less.
Snipe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:31 AM   #6
brigadoonb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
What about secondary market on the polar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brigadoonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:13 PM   #7
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

I don't want to go grey cause that's a road to nowhere - that way I'm not only paying over msrp and feeding scalpers but also not building any history with AD, meaning I will never get anything at msrp and will always have to go grey and keep feeding the scalpers.
Going used - same thing, for a current Explorer 2 reference, which I prefer, I would need to pay over msrp which is absurd to me.
My wife (luckily? ) somehow is not much into jewelry lol
I'm just a watch enthusiast, I want to get a watch to wear it, make some memories with it cause I appreciate the heritage, history, I like the looks, craftsmanship etc. I don't need to get it today, I can wait for a few months, but I don't want to wait forever without any guarantee or estimate when, or if even ever at all I will get one. Not to mention it can be discontinued before I get it. And I know that I'm not gonna stop with just one Rolex. Getting just one was my plan when I was buying my first Omega years ago, and that definitely didn't go as planned . In theory it all makes me a perfect customer, but I'm not sure if that's a customer they want
luk4s83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:28 PM   #8
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
It’s tough everywhere. People keep saying the market is softening, but it’s still hard to get a first Rolex. Apparently, once you get that first one, the second comes easier, then the 3rd, etc. I’ve been rather lucky, but I’m looking for 36 mm watches. I think that’s not as difficult to achieve. I do want a Batgirl next, so we’ll see how that goes. Just try to make friends with a SA at the friendlier store. Maybe an easier ask, for a first one, like a Datejust? Good luck.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:46 PM   #9
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

Buying in Colorado is interesting. I would assume it’s way easier than any other largely populated areas.

Just the other day I was telling my wife how much harder it would be in a place like London.

I’ve had luck with multiple ADs. But I pop in often, mostly just to see what’s in the cases… say “hi” and try things on. Like others have said I like to work with the same SA.

It’s very possible in my humble opinion to get an Exp ii on the first go. I got a GMT Master ii on the first go.

I wouldn’t get too discouraged. If you can text a couple of them and ask roughly when they think you can it for your 40th, that might give a better idea.
Most of the time they’re honest with me.

Good luck!

Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:51 PM   #10
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Unless you want a Daytona, a special dial DD40, or a pepsi, you can get most other pieces around retail or cheaper. You don't need the AD anymore
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:39 PM   #11
APhound
"TRF" Member

I hear you on wanting to get it new and wanting to build a relationship but it’s all BS, just get the watch you want when you want it. Luckily the one you want is not marked up crazy. You’re not going to care where it came from 2 days after you have it.

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:53 PM   #12
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk4s83 View Post
I guess I’m not the only one dealing with the same issues and frustrations but…
What are the chances of getting a Rolex in Colorado without having any previous history with AD? I have some Omegas, Tudors, nice Seiko’s and plenty of other watches in my collection, but I’ve never had any Rolex. Figured I’ll reorganize my collection a little bit and try to get my first Rolex - Polar Explorer 2 to commemorate my 40th birthday. My ultimate grail for years was always a Pepsi GMT but chance of getting one are obviously zero to none. My 40th birthday was last year so didn’t work already. Anyways, I went to Rolex AD a few months ago and expressed my interest in white dial Explorer 2, they put me on a list (or whatever they use nowadays) without giving me any high hopes. I followed up few months later but basically heard the same story - the availability is low, the demand is huge and they can’t tell me anything when or if ever at all I will get a watch. I went to another AD in Denver area last week (Williams), had a nice experience but was told there’s basically zero chance of getting an Explorer 2 this year. So one more time I left an AD basically without any hope of ever getting one. The only positive outcome I guess was that my wife got hooked into Yachtmaster 37, and it had been hard for me to convince her to wear any watch so far other than her vintage Omega lol. I mean she was excited until she got back home and did some reaserch online, read some stories what it gets and how it looks like to get any Rolex from AD…
What is your experience as far as getting a watch from AD in Colorado without any history or relationship with AD? Which AD is the best choice? I’m trying to build a relationship but I’m like 1.5h one way from any AD, and going there and leaving with nothing on the horizon every time is not a great experience to say the least. I’m slowly loosing my hope and getting frustrated to be honest…
I know the market is not that hot anymore and that probably I could even get an Explorer II not much over msrp but getting a watch brand new with the AD is different than buying online. I had a great experience with Omega AD when I was getting my Seamaster and the Speedy and they still have a special place in my collection, so would like my Rolexes to be the same.
Williams Jewelers is the friendliest of the two Rolex ADs in Denver and your best bet for making a connection. They have been very good to me over the years. When I was there last week they had a polar Explorer II in the CPO case. I know you said you don’t want pay over MSRP and I also know you said you didn’t want to wait indefinitely and you don’t want to buy online. CPO is the best solution to your set of self-imposed parameters because you get a guaranteed genuine watch with fresh service and a factory warranty and you get to purchase it at an AD where you will now have a purchase history and an SA who knows you as a buyer. Colorado is no different than anywhere else for finding your Rolex, you simply need to create an opportunity and the CPO Explorer II sitting in Williams case addresses all of your stated criteria.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:41 AM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Difficult situation made more so by your unwillingness to explore all avenues of opportunity for purchase. I can not speak to Colorado specifically but anywhere you have AD's you are going to have enough affluence and population to support them. The days are done with mom and pop AD's in tiny markets that can service a less than wealthy population. With that said why not get all the information from all the markets on cost and availability. To call legitimate sellers that are not AD's scalpers, is at best, short sighted and shows a general lack of understanding on your part of the free market and business in general. That does not mean that you have to like them but name calling is not necessary. When I read posts like this I find most of them to be about money, not watches. Sure, everyone wants watches from AD's at retail or less and I wish I was dating Scarlett Johannsson but that is not the reality of my life. You may luck up and get the watch, stranger things have happened, and move on with it. I would believe that this will be time consuming and may not happen at all for you. But you never know. I have been a collector for more than thirty years and have seen a lot but one fact I can tell you with certainty is that no Rolex gets cheaper over the long run. If it costs you a few extra dollars to get the watch just keep it wear it and enjoy it and in a decade if you wanted you can sell it for more than you paid. Guaranteed. Good luck.

Last edited by 1William; 12 February 2024 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 02:39 PM   #14
trichard3000
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Betteridge in Vail carries Certified Pre-Owned. Depending on the reference you want, this may be a good option.
trichard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 02:59 PM   #15
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I was there last week and nothing at retail at Cherry Creek or in Lone Tree at the ADs.

I don't blame you for not wanting to feed the market monster, but for a few K over retail you can have it tomorrow. You may spend that much chasing it the next year or two with another piece trying to scratch the itch. I learned that the hard way.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 03:05 PM   #16
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

The same here as it is everywhere.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 05:59 PM   #17
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
In this situation, and for this watch, go grey.
Saves all the AD nonsense, and price shouldn’t be much different overall.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 06:41 PM   #18
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

go gray… until the situation will be like it was 15 years ago I will never deal with sleazy Rolex ADs… it’s a stupid game that Rolex plays…

and if you can afford to spent 10-12k on msrp, it would not be that hard to add another 2-3 big ones… and you get what u want almost instantaneously
Old 13 February 2024, 12:01 AM   #19
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
“All the AD nonsense.” “Sleazy Rolex ADs.”

Don’t give in to the bitterness, OP. You’ve got a good AD 1.5 hours from you and an opportunity to get the watch you want with a Rolex warranty and make a local connection.

ADs are people, people who face a daily barrage of expectations, no better or worse than other people, and they respond in like manner to kindness, or bitterness.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 01:34 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
“All the AD nonsense.” “Sleazy Rolex ADs.”

Don’t give in to the bitterness, OP. You’ve got a good AD 1.5 hours from you and an opportunity to get the watch you want with a Rolex warranty and make a local connection.

ADs are people, people who face a daily barrage of expectations, no better or worse than other people, and they respond in like manner to kindness, or bitterness.
X2. Williams Jewelers is a family run business and they are great. They support the local community (including the school where their kids and mine went) and the level of service I have experienced from them has been top notch. They are just in a bind with Rolex’s restrictive practices. I will say that when I worked with them to design a custom ring for my wife, they were great.

Dylan called me on a Monday just before Christmas to tell me he had a Tudor FXD come in for me. Unfortunately, Hyde Park called my wife two days earlier and she had already bought it for me. I actually felt really bad that I could not buy from Dylan and his family.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 05:26 AM   #21
wyguy
"TRF" Member

My closest AD is in Boulder (Wallace & Hogsett) and I have been on the "list" for over two years for a BLNR and Kermit. Yes they are both incredibly hard to get, but I told them from day 1 that these were special occasion pieces for my son (grad college) and me (retiring). I visit my SA several times a year, but I remain "on the list."

What others have said it true. There are very few mom & pop ADs anymore. Instead the dealers are in large, wealthy marketplaces. We one or two purchase hobbyists have zero chance of obtaining popular pieces.
wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 12:03 PM   #22
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Purchase other items first. I've been a customer here. Get some earrings, Tudors, and you'll be up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyguy View Post
My closest AD is in Boulder (Wallace & Hogsett) and I have been on the "list" for over two years for a BLNR and Kermit. Yes they are both incredibly hard to get, but I told them from day 1 that these were special occasion pieces for my son (grad college) and me (retiring). I visit my SA several times a year, but I remain "on the list."

What others have said it true. There are very few mom & pop ADs anymore. Instead the dealers are in large, wealthy marketplaces. We one or two purchase hobbyists have zero chance of obtaining popular pieces.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote