The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2018, 12:20 AM   #31
nilel
"TRF" Member

i have a kermit

mark 1 dial
Serial F090...
nilel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 02:12 PM   #32
bbturbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtpa View Post
I have one that I purchased in March 2004, Serial # is F0202XX. It came with a pointed 4.
This is a very interesting one; early F, pointed 4 and Mk2 dial...
bbturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 02:16 PM   #33
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed82 View Post
There are flat four all the way up to D-series. Check the reference list posted above.
No there are not. I've owned many F series and the flat 4s are found on the early F serials and the Ys. Besides the insert being unique on these early watches , so was the dial. I've never read anything substantive that would indicate otherwise.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 02:54 PM   #34
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
I think I remember a thread where someone had a D serial LV with a flat 4, Mark III dial and oval O.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 05:18 PM   #35
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
I think I remember a thread where someone had a D serial LV with a flat 4, Mark III dial and oval O.
There are D-serials available with flat four inserts. I have seen two myself and this is also indicated in the reference guide to 16610LV that’s often linked here.
Old 29 April 2018, 08:41 PM   #36
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg002 View Post
To further specify, mine is F52xxx from October 2004 with mark 2 dial and pointed 4. So, yes, yours must be one of the very last Flat 4s.
Referring to this post and also posts #8 and #20 my question is were there 5 digit serial numbers used with letter designation on the 16610LV's?
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 06:02 AM   #37
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed82 View Post
There are D-serials available with flat four inserts. I have seen two myself and this is also indicated in the reference guide to 16610LV that’s often linked here.
The Y and early F serials had the attributes for the first generation anniversary 16610LVs. Now that they are the most valuable, we see claims the D serials had the same attributes? You might have seen a D serial with a flat four but did it have the correct dial? I don't have to tell you that it has been 14 years since these watches were released and anything could have been changed on them to enhance the value. I have never heard of a D serial-numbered having the correct dial and insert as the early anniversary watches. It would be a "red flag" to most collectors I'm sure.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #38
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The Y and early F serials had the attributes for the first generation anniversary 16610LVs. Now that they are the most valuable, we see claims the D serials had the same attributes? You might have seen a D serial with a flat four but did it have the correct dial? I don't have to tell you that it has been 14 years since these watches were released and anything could have been changed on them to enhance the value. I have never heard of a D serial-numbered having the correct dial and insert as the early anniversary watches. It would be a "red flag" to most collectors I'm sure.
This
Old 30 April 2018, 06:27 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
F09 here flat 4 mark I
Old 30 April 2018, 06:32 AM   #40
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Major Red Flag -

Also the LV's were not available until after the 3rd week of Nov 2003 - So if you find one dated September 2003, like it says in the little chart, that's another Red Flag -

Here's the Rolex USA letter dated November 14 2003 (that was a Friday too). So they can't be dated before then (earliest I've seen is 11/21/2003) ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16610LV-19.JPG (194.2 KB, 333 views)
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 04:57 PM   #41
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was my understanding as well until I saw an original D-series from the first owner with a fat four insert. Add to that the information in the reference guide that there are D-serials with fat four inserts and that I saw one more D-serial 16610LV with fat four after that. Who knows, maybe Rolex found a batch of old inserts and decided to use them up. Rolex have done so before.
Old 30 April 2018, 05:39 PM   #42
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
Mine is an F5 serial and has a pointy 4 which I believe to be the original insert it came with from the factory. 'O' is not visible but is a squashed one!

Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 09:49 PM   #43
snipermaverick
"TRF" Member

What's the difference between a mark 1 and mark 2 dial?
snipermaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:16 AM   #44
okometsubu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,PP,AP
F n D flat 4

hi guys.
I have something in my hands and believe Zed82's idea.
Would this be a little help to think late F and early D have Flat 4?
F is Mk1 and D is Mk3 dial both HK paper dated Apr 2005.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9225.jpg (275.3 KB, 265 views)
okometsubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 09:55 AM   #45
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Have an F4XXXX and it has the flat 4 with Mark1 dial. The bezel insert in mine is a lime green as the older series tend to have more of an emerald green.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:26 PM   #46
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
I just bought a Kermit with a Mark 3 dial & flat-4 lime green insert - serial # is D19xxxx and guarantee certificate from a Monaco Rolex AD dated July 2005. It came from my most trusted dealer, who bought it from its first owner.

While current info resources about dial & insert variations have been generally accepted as "written in stone", I think they were mostly U.S. based and did not take into account, variations shipped to the rest of the world. As several years have now passed since those were published , we now see new differences from Europe & Asia here.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to take the time to update the info ?

Just my 2 cents ... cheers, all
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:29 AM   #47
Sebastian5
"TRF" Member

What does 3 ticks and 5 ticks mean?
Sebastian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 12:21 PM   #48
skillman
"TRF" Member

Sorry to revive an old topic… I recently purchased an early D series (D04) 16610 lv with the flat 4 serif bezel insert and an oval O, narrow spaced oyster perpetual date, 3 ticks swiss made dial. Warranty dates June 2005. Purchased in Asia.
skillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 06:46 PM   #49
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinswatch22 View Post
I am getting more familiar with the differences between the serial numbers on the 16610lv "kermit" and understand that the Y and F series have the Mk 1 dials with the oval O and 5 ticks as well as the Flat four bezels. My question is did all of the F series watches have the oval O and flat four or were these only the earlier ones and the later ones had the regular O and the pointed 4.
All subs and the SD in this serial time range all have the flat four font insert, plus over the years its been used many times.Even been reports on forum of sending a point 4 insert 116610LV in for service, and came back with a flat four replacement bezel insert.And in the real world dials are made in 3 different factories now all owned by Rolex, so there always has been and always will be tiny variations to most all dials over production reference years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 09:38 PM   #50
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Yes only the y serials/earlier f serials have the flat four insert. Changed to pointed four sometime during mid f series.
They are random serial 16610LV witch flat four inserts as well… They are different from the ones on Y and F but still flat four.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 11:48 PM   #51
1665fan
"TRF" Member

F5 flat 4 mark 1 dial over here
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 03:32 AM   #52
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Are all F series 16610lv's Flat Four's?

It is mentioned as 2004 F serial, any idea which ‘Mark’?

Thanks

Ref: https://www.watchclub.com/curated-by...ry-sub-decoded
Old 18 April 2024, 09:19 PM   #53
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Bump, is the watch collectible?
Old 19 April 2024, 07:52 PM   #54
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
Have y962 mark 1 flat 4 with feet
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 08:24 PM   #55
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinswatch22 View Post
I am getting more familiar with the differences between the serial numbers on the 16610lv "kermit" and understand that the Y and F series have the Mk 1 dials with the oval O and 5 ticks as well as the Flat four bezels. My question is did all of the F series watches have the oval O and flat four or were these only the earlier ones and the later ones had the regular O and the pointed 4.
The so called flat four and was on all Subs SD in same time frame as the introduction of the16610LV, plus its been used many times over the decades on most all of the sports dive line up. But now thanks to the Internet and those trying to make a say a 16610 into a LV and visa verso the price of the green insert have rocketing to almost ceramic prices. And now green insert is Rolex exchange only as independents cannot even get them now. Plus quite a few reports of later 16610LV with pointed fours after service new exchange green inserts 2014/15 using the same flat four font that was used around 2002/3 but slightly different colour.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote