The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2024, 11:23 AM   #31
Twisted Vicar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The significance of the Pelagos is the sheer joy it brings every time I wear it.
dP
Absolutely, Dan. Mine doesn't get worn that often, but then when it is, I wonder why it isn't.

Twisted Vicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 11:30 AM   #32
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

I love my P39, it’s been a great companion on a few adventures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4287.jpeg (89.8 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4522.jpeg (189.4 KB, 370 views)
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 12:43 PM   #33
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I love all my Tudor Pelagos models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 07:46 PM   #34
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
The significance of the Pelagos is that it is one of the few divers in that price range that isn’t ashamed to be a proper tool watch… rugged, tough and understated. Many other divers have gone more down the route of looking like luxury watches and therefore will garner more “attention”, good and bad as they look like expensive luxury watches rather than high-end functional tool watches…. Neither approach is wrong, they are just different.

If you want a luxury looking watch then a sub will be more appropriate… however, unfortunately these are also more likely to be bought by people as a public display of wealth (not by those on this forum as people here genuinely love watches and buy Rolexes because they make them smile)…. And therefore their wearers can be unfairly judged (a bit like BMW drivers 🤣). But it’s true that you are way more likely to see a sub on the hands of investment bankers and car salesmen than people who actually get them wet. Also, the Pelagos will get less negative attention than a sub because the sub is an instantly recognisable icon, even to a casual observer…. Very few people recognise a Pelagos.

Even though something like a sub is objectively a better watch (and it clearly is), I prefer the Pelagos for how unashamed it is to be a proper tool watch…. But that’s why watches are so much fun… everyone has different tastes and for different reasons… “if it smiles at you then buy it, if it doesn’t then don’t” is generally a good rule to go by.

Sorry! I got a bit carried away there!
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 09:52 PM   #35
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
Well said, and great photo, captures the blue so well. Way too enabling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Vicar View Post
Absolutely, Dan. Mine doesn't get worn that often, but then when it is, I wonder why it isn't.

Thanks, gents!!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 08:29 AM   #36
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
Standard 42mm Pelagos is more aligned with the Sea Dweller lineup in Rolex speak, I used to say it was akin to Rolex doing a "clean sheet" redesign of the SD line without regard for Rolex signature incremental improvements on previous designs, but those make believe lines have been further blurred now with the introduction of the Ti YM 42 with more obvious parallels to the Pelagos lineup. Disregarding ....all of that.... the Pelagos like all Tudors is a fantastic line on it's own and needs no attachment to Rolex at all.

42mm is the technical deep diver, punches well above it's price class into the Rolex lineup if one does not need a watch to say "ROLEX" on it to be happy
39mm is a seriously great alternative to a Submariner no date
FXDs are unique throwbacks to the heritage of the Marine National Tudor submariners of the 60s and 70s. I wear my standard 42mm on an MN strap most of the time so the black FXD really appeals to me.

So true, wearing my Blue one right now. Love the watch, love my Rolex too, but the Pelagos Blue is a great watch.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 08:34 AM   #37
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoilCat View Post
The significance of the Pelagos is that it is one of the few divers in that price range that isn’t ashamed to be a proper tool watch… rugged, tough and understated. Many other divers have gone more down the route of looking like luxury watches and therefore will garner more “attention”, good and bad as they look like expensive luxury watches rather than high-end functional tool watches…. Neither approach is wrong, they are just different.

If you want a luxury looking watch then a sub will be more appropriate… however, unfortunately these are also more likely to be bought by people as a public display of wealth (not by those on this forum as people here genuinely love watches and buy Rolexes because they make them smile)…. And therefore their wearers can be unfairly judged (a bit like BMW drivers 🤣). But it’s true that you are way more likely to see a sub on the hands of investment bankers and car salesmen than people who actually get them wet. Also, the Pelagos will get less negative attention than a sub because the sub is an instantly recognisable icon, even to a casual observer…. Very few people recognise a Pelagos.

Even though something like a sub is objectively a better watch (and it clearly is), I prefer the Pelagos for how unashamed it is to be a proper tool watch…. But that’s why watches are so much fun… everyone has different tastes and for different reasons… “if it smiles at you then buy it, if it doesn’t then don’t” is generally a good rule to go by.

Sorry! I got a bit carried away there!
Great post
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 07:34 PM   #38
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Rico View Post
Thanks for the photos; interesting how the Sea-dweller (at 43mm) appears smaller than the Pelagos (at 42mm). I wonder why that is…
The Londonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 01:36 AM   #39
Tio_Rico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Londonist View Post
Thanks for the photos; interesting how the Sea-dweller (at 43mm) appears smaller than the Pelagos (at 42mm). I wonder why that is…
Excuse the poor pics and note that my measurement tool costs less than $10 on amazon... but here's the Bezel and Lug-to-Lug measurements zeroed for the painters tape.

IMG_7918(1).jpeg

IMG_7920(1).jpeg

IMG_7919.jpg

IMG_7921(1).jpeg
Tio_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 01:55 AM   #40
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excuse the poor pics and note that my measurement tool costs less than $10 on amazon... but here's the Bezel and Lug-to-Lug measurements zeroed for the painters tape.

Attachment 1430891

Attachment 1430892

Attachment 1430893

Attachment 1430894

Thanks very much; very helpful!

Old 18 April 2024, 02:04 AM   #41
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

I’m seriously thinking about a Pelagos LHD considering Rolexes are hard to come by. I have another titanium watch and the weight is amazing.
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 02:45 AM   #42
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Attachment 1430891

Attachment 1430892

Attachment 1430893

Attachment 1430894

I think one difference may be that the lugs on the Sea-Dweller are far more curved in towards the wrist than those of the Pelagos, which has the effect of masking its size, making it appear smaller than it’s 43mm…
Old 18 April 2024, 06:24 AM   #43
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
I always attributed the larger look of the Pelagos to the black rehaut vs silver on the SDs, making the dial appear larger.

I believe the actual dial face size is very similar between the Submariner, SD43 and DSSD, just more case/bezel/rehaut/ring lock as the size gets larger.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:34 AM   #44
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
Having dived with Subs and Sea-Dwellers as well as the Pelagos LHD (and other brands), I'd offer that the Pelagos is a technically and functionally better dive watch than the Sub (or Sea-Dwellers). All can handle any dive depth you'll throw at it; however the Pelagoas dial is much easier to read.

The bracelet is fantastic: adjustable (+ dive extension) and comfortable.

I don't understand the call outs around scratching with the Pelagos. The part that shows the most scratches (on the LHD) is the clasp, which is steel, not titanium. The rest of the watch and bracelet is titanium and shows considerably fewer scratches than any of my steel (or gold) watches. And the LHD gets worn "harder". I wonder if this claim around scratches is sometimes (not always) from people that haven't actually owned the watch, but are making some assumptions about titanium or the grade.

Regardless, the Pelagos line offers a nice variety of cool options, and is a truly great diver. Solid on its own, or as a complement to the Sub/Sea-Dwellers.
I have a LHD. I do understand the questions regarding the bracelet scratching. While I think the titanium does scratch easier the dull metal doesn't seem to show them as bad. The steel clasp, that thing is a scratch monster.

And to echo you, its a great diver and a great watch and born to be worn.
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 11:52 AM   #45
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
I have a LHD. I do understand the questions regarding the bracelet scratching. While I think the titanium does scratch easier the dull metal doesn't seem to show them as bad. The steel clasp, that thing is a scratch monster.

And to echo you, its a great diver and a great watch and born to be worn.
👍 and well said - “born to be worn”!!
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:29 PM   #46
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Unable to find the weight of the blue FXD with the strap. Curious how the weight compares to a Sub or something similar.....
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:32 PM   #47
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
To say I am a fan might be an understatement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230926_123513 (002).jpg (65.0 KB, 146 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:00 AM   #48
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Wow that's a serious lineup! Only missing a Alinghi Red Bull there, lol.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:24 AM   #49
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Which is your fav? I’m really liking the LHD for its overall quirkiness, yellow markers, red numbers…
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 10:18 AM   #50
carwash66

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
Unable to find the weight of the blue FXD with the strap. Curious how the weight compares to a Sub or something similar.....
Happen to be wearing the blue FXD on an Erika’s Original MN strap while working in the farm shop right now. Can’t attest to the accuracy of this older scale, however it should be real close.
It shows 85 grams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5106.jpeg (121.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 19 April 2024, 11:40 AM   #51
watch_the_time
"TRF" Member

I've been missing a diver in my lineup so finally pulled the trigger on a blue FXD. I can't take it off my wrist. I've been trying to figure out why I'm so captivated by it. I think being a collector for many years there's a moment where you appreciate luxury through simplicity. There's a duality where the blue catches the light and you know the watch is high end but then the ruggedness and tactile feel of it screams utilitarian. That marriage is Utopia for me.

Why is it significant? While I still want a Sub I feel like it's become bigger than itself (not its own fault). These AD games and speculation make me forget why I loved this hobby before the hysteria. Thankfully, the Blue FXD has brought me back and I hope it's the gateway for many more..
watch_the_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:04 PM   #52
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

What does everyone think is the minimum wrist size for the 42mm versions (including FXD)?

My wrists are a bit skinny at 6.75” so would be good to know if it dominates slimmer wrists or be would look a bit silly.

By the way, I tried the 39mm and didn’t like the shiny dial with the matt bezel (as well as not having a blue one in the smaller size)…the bracelet though was nice.
Old 19 April 2024, 06:07 PM   #53
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Blackbay (Diver) 41, 54, 58 = Submariner / Seamaster
Pelagos = Sea Dweller / Planet Ocean.

All IMO of course, but were in the same neighbourhoods.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:08 PM   #54
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
What does everyone think is the minimum wrist size for the 42mm versions (including FXD)?

My wrists are a bit skinny at 6.75” so would be good to know if it dominates slimmer wrists or be would look a bit silly.

By the way, I tried the 39mm and didn’t like the shiny dial with the matt bezel (as well as not having a blue one in the smaller size)…the bracelet though was nice.
Really depends on the shape of your wrist. If its flat, the 42 could work. The lug to lug on larger watches is the biggest killer of smaller wrists, and I believe the fixed strap lug design of the FXD make it wear larger than most 42MM watches.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:22 PM   #55
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
The lug to lug on larger watches is the biggest killer of smaller wrists, and I believe the fixed strap lug design of the FXD make it wear larger than most 42MM watches.
Exactly; I found the FXD sadly too big because the fixed lugs don’t curve into the wrist sharply enough (as compared to the sharply curved lugs on the Sea-dweller 43mm which make it wear smaller than it is, and I feel I could wear fairly comfortably)…

Old 19 April 2024, 10:43 PM   #56
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash66 View Post
Happen to be wearing the blue FXD on an Erika’s Original MN strap while working in the farm shop right now. Can’t attest to the accuracy of this older scale, however it should be real close.
It shows 85 grams.
A few google searches show that a Sub weighs approximately 152ish grams. Amazing that the FXD is so light. I am sure alot of that is due to no bracelet, but still....
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 10:54 PM   #57
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by BETRNSX View Post
Which is your fav? I’m really liking the LHD for its overall quirkiness, yellow markers, red numbers…
The black FXD is the one right now that is getting the most wrist time. I am a huge Submariner fan and the ND of the FXD and the titanium case with increased size makes it a good one/two combination for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230915_114008 (002).jpg (73.2 KB, 83 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 11:14 PM   #58
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Wow that's a serious lineup! Only missing a Alinghi Red Bull there, lol.
...and the 39mm
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 08:56 AM   #59
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Yep, 1William is slacking for sure!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:19 AM   #60
bioyuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have a 6.75" wrist and wear the FXD with no problems at all. IMO minimum wrist size for a FXD is probably 6.5".
bioyuki is offline   Reply With Quote