The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2024, 09:31 AM   #91
davek35
"TRF" Member

I was on the list for a BLNR for 2 yrs. And a Sub for about the same time. The more I went to try them on at the AD, the more I thought "I cant remember the last time I turned a moveable bezel". I had a BB54 I never wore. Loved it, but never wore it.

I came to the realization that dive/GMT watches were not for me. Now I'm glad one of those were never available to me. I don't have to deal with selling, etc..

OP, sell it. Best of luck to you.
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 09:33 AM   #92
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

I sort of get it but think it might take some soak time. I used to hate it but over time as I accumulated other watches I found one day I suddenly “got it.” Bought one and have loved it ever since. None of my other collection gets any wrist time. I also think post-Covid with WFH, more casual lifestyle and sadly current security issues, wearing something that’s “so ubiquitous” and easy is sort of a relief which enhances the joy - for me at least.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 09:37 AM   #93
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Funny it is the only one that has stuck with me. Had the BLNR, rootbeer, bluesy, 3 different Datejusts, sub no date and sub LV. The black sub date to me is perfect in every way and for everyday. To each their own. Really the only other watch I kinda want back is the BLNR on jubilee, but not as classic to me. I also don’t get the boring part, the shiny black bezel is an eye catcher to me. Yes many do aspire to have one and maybe do, but there is a reason it is the most popular watch in the world!
Old 5 February 2024, 09:50 AM   #94
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Totally relate.
It’s why I own a SD43 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 09:56 AM   #95
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seo View Post
I know what you mean, excellent watch but it is very very common now so if you’re after something that makes it special and different this is definitely not the watch.

I recently acquired a few Patek. I won’t be going back to Rolex anytime soon.

This is my daily now.

Nice watch! I’ve wanted one of these, but cannot justify a Patek to myself. Congrats

bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 10:00 AM   #96
kentheevil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
To me it's popular for a reason. If tou the sub but not the fact that its to common there's plenty of ways to go a bit different I've always like the sub just didnt go for the LN

kentheevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 10:00 AM   #97
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I think it’s funny that everyone says they don’t care what other people think or wear, but post their watches to a worldwide platform.

Or that half the posts here are the same six-eight forum darlings.
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 10:01 AM   #98
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I purchased the 126610LN in May 2022 and I was ecstatic as I was waiting about one year for it. Once purchased, took it home and it felt a tad too big for my wrist.
I tried wearing it once but didn't like how long the glidelock clasp was so I wore my 116610LV instead which felt more comfortable.

I ended up trading my brand new 126610LN (with stickers) for a brand new 116610LN (with stickers also) and the newer Green card full set (with cash my way) and could not be any happier - so I totally understand not connecting with the newer 41mm Sub Date.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 10:13 AM   #99
BrokenWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Vacheron
Felt the same way. Rocking with a BLNR!

BrokenWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 10:18 AM   #100
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I got the call for a 126610LN. I was happy at the time, but over the course of several weeks, just really didn’t connect with it.

It’s a very basic monotone looking watch. Though I do get the appeal of it being a great daily. That said, I was at a conference last week, every Joe Schmoe had one. I don’t care about exclusivity but the fact that it’s so ubiquitous isn’t cool for me.

I’m thinking about moving on (maybe to add a 126711CHNR or a neovintage AP, or hold out for a SS GMT / SkyD blue or green).

Kind of venting here, but interested to hear what other people think or if they have ever had a similar experience.
If you are not enamored with the Date Sub (i.e.,126610LN), I'd certainly move the watch along for something else; however, if you are selling it because of what other people are wearing, what other people think, etc. these points are irrelevant in my mind if you really like the watch.

Now having said that, I sold my 126610LV (Starbucks) because I didn't like the way the watch wore (e.g., buckle length spanned my entire wrist and too chunky) and preferred an older no-date Submariner like a 14060M or a 5513. I sold the Starbucks to my son who absolutely loves that watch and wears it on every special occasion he can.

If you honestly don't like the watch, I'd certainly move it along and use the money for something else.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 10:23 AM   #101
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
My first Rolex was an SD43, I did not want a sub as it is a very common watch. This and my SS Sky D Blue dial is all I need from a watch perspective.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 10:41 AM   #102
BMess
"TRF" Member

I had a no date submariner (114060) as my only watch for about 6 months. I wasn’t able to bond with it at all even though I tried for 6 months. Eight years and many watches later, I added the 124060 (41mm no date submariner) to my small collection and I absolutely love it.

To me, it was a boring and underwhelming only watch, but in rotation with my Pepsi on jubilee, Omega SMP 300, a few Panerai, and a Cartier, I really like the 124060.
Old 5 February 2024, 11:06 AM   #103
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Yea, I get what you are saying. I've had some form of black Sub for the better part of the last 20 years, and I've often felt the way you feel, but I also keep coming back to it because of its ubiquity. It's a nice luxurious watch that also blends in, which can be rare. I have a BLNR as well and it's so much more noticeable and eye-catching than the Sub, but I also see much less of them in the wild so maybe that's the direction you should go?

If I were in your shoes I'd also consider selling the Sub and the Moonswatch and getting a Speedy Pro. If you ignore the functionality (diver vs chrono), I think the Moonwatch and Sub check almost all the same boxes and are very versatile yet somewhat sterile daily wearer type watches. But for some reason I see so many less of the Moonwatch in the wild than the Sub.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 11:33 AM   #104
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
One man's boring is my classic style. If I want color I wear weird socks.
Beautiful 3-piece classic set.
Cassian739 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 11:41 AM   #105
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
One man's boring is my classic style. If I want color I wear weird socks.
“Fashion changes, style never changes.”

—Coco Chanel

Well done, Sir.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 01:26 PM   #106
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the input and you guys sharing your experiences. Will probably sell it this week

In other words - I don’t necessarily want something that no one has (or is unattainable); rather I don’t want something that everyone has…

Real estate conference. Saw some cool pieces but the amount of black subs I saw were something else.

Lexus hybrid hatchback and Tesla Model Y Performance
understood now - thanks for the clarification
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 01:59 PM   #107
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
3 weeks really isn’t very long to make a decision, is it? Maybe give it a little more time to confirm or change heart. Outside of that conference, I doubt it’s really as common as it might seem.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 02:03 PM   #108
ml91
"TRF" Member

Objectively the most classic watch of all time
ml91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:15 PM   #109
the_wolperting
"TRF" Member

16610LV is the only Sub worth owning IMO
the_wolperting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 05:27 PM   #110
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
It doesn’t seem to be sitting on your wrist properly, it looks uncomfortable in those pics..

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 09:34 PM   #111
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMess View Post
I had a no date submariner (114060) as my only watch for about 6 months. I wasn’t able to bond with it at all even though I tried for 6 months. Eight years and many watches later, I added the 124060 (41mm no date submariner) to my small collection and I absolutely love it.

To me, it was a boring and underwhelming only watch, but in rotation with my Pepsi on jubilee, Omega SMP 300, a few Panerai, and a Cartier, I really like the 124060.
I agree with this. As an only watch, the Sub could get boring. I ultimately want one (a ND) as part of a larger collection, but there are definitely others I want first.

As all of my owned Rolexes have the cyclops date feature, a Sub ND would provide the nicest diversification...
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 09:45 PM   #112
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Subs are great watches in any situation but if it doesn't click, find something that does.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 11:24 PM   #113
Ravenburg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor IWC
I used to own the previous model no-date Sub 114060.
I sold it after a year or so as it just bored me too much and I never really bonded with the maxi case and lack of date. No regrets whatsoever and made a couple of grand in the process too.
I then purchased the JC Deepsea, which I thought looked stunning. I ultimately moved that on too after a couple of years as it was just too chunky for me. I still miss that gorgeous dial. I wish they would make a sub with that dial and similar bezel with the additional markings. Would be perfect for me.
Anyway, in recent months I've had the itch to revisit the sub range again and settled on the 126610LV. Wow what an improvement over the last model. Miniscule tweaks have, for me, made it the perfect sub. Also the green gives more visual interest. A keeper I'm sure.
It's part of a larger collection so fits in well. Could this be my only watch? Maybe.
Ravenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 12:11 AM   #114
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Mother knows best.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 12:24 AM   #115
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

exact reason I don't wear a black sub date. sell it now. this thought will just fester in your head and ruin the watch for you.
rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 12:26 AM   #116
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Mother knows best.
Love this show.
Nads786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 01:16 AM   #117
therolexguy888
"TRF" Member

Interesting observation and sorry you didn't really get on with it!

I always felt the same about the black submariner, hence never got it. I went for the sea dweller instead which I feel is a little bit more special (to me) with the red font etc.

I subsequently then got the green submariner, and love that - funny how a little bit of colour completely changes the watch!
therolexguy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 01:51 AM   #118
favx
2024 Pledge Member

I think you should move on too
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 02:05 AM   #119
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

Interesting as I initially had a similar response to mine when I got it, but over time, I've bonded with it as I have worn it for more and more family occasions (i.e. created some memories with it). I think it's classic and versatile and (in some ways) under the radar vs other Rolexes, which is sometimes what you need. I also think that scouring social media (not saying you are, I just found this personally and have now stopped) results in a constant wanting the next best thing, and evaluating what you can offload to make it happen. My Sub isn't going anywhere.
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 02:07 AM   #120
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I think it’s funny that everyone says they don’t care what other people think or wear, but post their watches to a worldwide platform.

Or that half the posts here are the same six-eight forum darlings.
Interesting.

I post to the WRUW loads of times, but I never expect and never get feedback. And I always flick through that thread just to see what others are wearing, but I almost never write to anyone. Instead, for me, it's ... just feeling happy with my watch and wanting to share that feeling with like-minded people.

Is that, "Wanting to share with like-minded people," the same as, "Caring what other people think?" Is being part of any group automatically caring what other people think? Is the only person who truly doesn't care what other people think, someone who lives alone with no friends?

Great question.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote