The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2024, 01:10 PM   #31
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
When I decided I wanted a Lady Datejust, my Hubs said he would buy it for me, for our 40th anniversary. This was in early 2021. I contacted De Vons in the Roseville Galleria, as that is the closest AD to where we live. I got this in response from them:

"We require you to visit one of our locations, sign some paperwork along with paying for the timepiece in full. A typical order time frame is about 10-14 weeks but can take up to six months."

Both my Hubs and I didn't like the "pay in full for us to order the watch for you," so I contacted a different AD (no, not another De Vons location).

I asked the second AD if they would require a deposit, and the response was:

"Typically we take a deposit but if it’s a model that I need for stock anyway (and all the fluted/jubilee are) I don’t need a deposit."

Because he wasn't going to require a deposit, I didn't bother asking how much of a deposit they would typically get.

Exactly one month (to the day) later, the Rolex I wanted was on my wrist. AND, although my preferred dial (Sundust stick) had recently been discontinued and replaced by the rosé dial, this wonderful AD managed to get me the watch with a Sundust stick dial.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 01:51 PM   #32
fayraree
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
My AD said he would take a 25% for a DJ31 fluted with jubilee and mint green dial. Available in 3-4 months.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:20 PM   #33
355F1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
It’s odd that they allowed you to put down a deposit, because, quite recently, several of us were told that that program was put on hold, by Rolex. It’s called an “intent to purchase” order. Sometimes they request full payment. Other times, a 50% deposit. I guess I’m going on a new recon mission, to get the scoop.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
in January I posted about a dealer trying to get a 25% deposit for a YM40 (I had been on their waitlist for 4 months when the call came in).

I refused...called another dealer I was also waitlisted at and they magically came up with my YM40 that day....LoL
355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:39 PM   #34
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Angus View Post
Why would they not take 100% of my money and the watch and earn double the interest?
If they make 10% margin on a $10,000 watch they sell you, they’ll profit $1,000, and have that much capital to gain interest on. But by asking for half that amount up front ($5,000) in the form of a deposit and not forking any money over to Rolex until the inventory ships, they’re getting several times more in interest than if they’d simply sold you the watch today. Every month that goes by, they collect more interest.

Until the watch arrives, they have given Rolex $0 for your watch and are collecting interest for free on your deposit. Add that up customer after customer, and the AD has a sizable revenue stream…
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:54 PM   #35
ATLSFO
"TRF" Member

Rolex doesn't take orders from ADs. The ADs receive an allocation from Rolex and Rolex decides what's in it.
ATLSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:59 PM   #36
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
There’s really only three dealers in Houston now and I’m familiar with how the two oldest ones operate. No experience with the newest AD that just opened a year or so ago.
I have never been asked for a deposit but my SA says they sometimes ask first time customers for one.
As far as can they order, that definitely seems to vary. I asked for and received a green OP41 last summer in less than 30 days. He told me it was one he could special order at that time. Then at Christmas time he told me that program was on hold right now, haven’t asked me since.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 03:23 PM   #37
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
It sounds like the OP was happy to pay a deposit to get the watch that he wants within the timeframe that he was given regardless of all the efforts here to deconstruct the particulars of that arrangement. Well done OP, it sounds like your AD has a plan in place to get you your watch. Please post pictures here when you get it.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 03:30 PM   #38
Ninja Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was a 50% deposit.

The order had an exact description of the Datejust and even had a picture of the watch generated from the Rolex website or their internal software.

I pay the rest when the watch arrives.
This is weird.

I was very recently in a Rolex AD with a genuine VIP (the kind of person who can buy the watches on display) and the AD said they have zero control over the watches they receive. This is a major AD.

This 50% deposit sounds like a new AD scam, so instead of forcing you to buy a Tudor they can probably invest the money for nine months or whatever.
Ninja Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 04:52 PM   #39
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

I agree that deposits seem to be a sporadic method some ADs are using to generate some additional profit in interest.

I actually don’t mind this if it means I get the watch I want with less stress.

It does make me a little nervous, but for all the times I have seen deposits discussed on this forum I can’t recall anyone who has come forward to say they left a deposit and were scammed by their AD. Am I right ??
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:03 PM   #40
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Master View Post
This is weird.

I was very recently in a Rolex AD with a genuine VIP (the kind of person who can buy the watches on display) and the AD said they have zero control over the watches they receive. This is a major AD.

This 50% deposit sounds like a new AD scam, so instead of forcing you to buy a Tudor they can probably invest the money for nine months or whatever.

As far as ADs having zero control over what watches they receive, that’s not true. They put in a wish list for the year. Rolex does their best to fulfill their lists, but the ADs don’t know exactly which models are coming when. Also, Rolex has a certain number of specific models (probably less desirable ones) that ADs are required to order. So, the ADs do have some control over what watches they get, but not total control over exact inventory.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:14 PM   #41
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Master View Post
This is weird.

It’s not a scam. The “Intent to Purchase Order” program with a deposit requirement, or even prepayment in full, is not new, at all. It’s been around, off and on, for years. It’s a way to guarantee a customer gets the exact configuration he desires, within a reasonable time frame. It is generally reserved for Datejusts, which continues to be the best selling Rolex model.

Kat

Old 13 March 2024, 05:16 PM   #42
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Deposit means your AD intends to give you your watch soon! Congrats, mate! Has become a common practice since around 2018ish to do things this way.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:27 PM   #43
TNG
"TRF" Member

I also paid a small deposit for an OF Daytona recently. AD told me it would arrive within 6-8 months. Got the call after 2,5 months.
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:26 PM   #44
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
the watch is in the safe....AD plays like it's rare and their doing the op a BIG Favor getting the watch.....
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:38 PM   #45
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congrats in advance! Hopefully soon enough.
I've never been asked to pay a deposit.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:18 PM   #46
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I've put down a deposit on a Datejust order a couple years ago and had the watch in about six weeks which was right around when they told me it would arrive. Now that was a couple of years ago, was for a 36mm Datejust, and my salesman essentially had zero doubt that it would arrive. It didn't seem like there was guesswork.

I've never done this for any other Rolex I've received from my AD: a Submariner Date or GMT-Master II. The former, I walked in and purchased. The latter, I asked about and got a call three days later.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 12:59 AM   #47
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I don't get why some are casting doubts on OP putting down a deposit when:

1. OP is comfortable with the amount and delivery time frame
2. AD is confident about delivering

It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. I understand that some people may not be comfortable with deposits but there are other who don't mind; I wouldn't mind putting down a deposit if my AD could guarantee the watch I want.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 01:03 AM   #48
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

I have never heard of an AD taking a deposit, certainly not in recent times.

Maybe the AD has cash flow issues?
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 01:05 AM   #49
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Truth is, each AD will handle these things differently. Some take deposits, some don't.

But essentially OP, you have just given that AD an interest free loan.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 01:06 AM   #50
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Congratulations, hope it comes in soon.

For me, I would never put down a deposit for a watch. About a month ago VC in Miami wanted a deposit for a request. Didn’t seem right to me.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 01:45 AM   #51
lawyerdude
"TRF" Member

Earlier this year I was told that they can order a DJ. That was compared to an OP that they get what they get.
Old 14 March 2024, 01:57 AM   #52
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

I had no problem putting down a deposit. I have made business decisions all of my adult life. This does not scare me like it does some people. Six months of interest at 5% on $5,000 is like $125. I think I'll make ends meet till September.

AD has a very good reputation here in town. If this is what it takes to get my first Rolex, I'm good.
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 02:10 AM   #53
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Completely rational, OP. Well reasoned and well done.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 02:26 AM   #54
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

It’s probably changed, but back in late 2020, WOS was willing to take a (full) deposit for an Exp II Polar.

In any event, good luck OP!
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 02:59 AM   #55
KatGirl

Well, deposit was handed to my AD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
the watch is in the safe....AD plays like it's rare and their doing the op a BIG Favor getting the watch.....

That is pure speculation. If it was in the safe, available for sale, they would have just sold it to him, right then and there.

Kat

Old 14 March 2024, 03:51 AM   #56
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
That is pure speculation. If it was in the safe, available for sale, they would have just sold it to him, right then and there.

Kat

Several reasons depending who you believe. On New Year’s Eve day I know my was in the safe at the boutique in Orlando. But I had to wait until the following week to have them call me to come in and pay and pick it up. They explained why and the reasons for it. They also had a watch my husband wanted but would not release it to him, the reason was he had made a purchase with in the last 3 months. It’s all very strange.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 03:56 AM   #57
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The order had an exact description of the Datejust and even had a picture of the watch generated from the Rolex website or their internal software.
I had that for a TT black Sky Dweller, complete with little picture, and I left a deposit. It could be interpreted as an "order" but the reality was that I was merely down for the next one that arrived.

Hope your DJ turns up soon.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 04:39 AM   #58
kowon
"TRF" Member

I told my AD my gf was interested in a 31mm datejust with blue floral dial in August last year. No deposit. Two months later, we got the watch.
kowon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 08:12 AM   #59
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
Truth is, each AD will handle these things differently. Some take deposits, some don't.

But essentially OP, you have just given that AD an interest free loan.
I guess that is a way to look at it. I bet the OP said this:
(1) I can pay a 50% deposit and lose guaranteed opportunity to make 4-5% APR in an insured no-risk investment (and allow the AD to make this 40-50 USD per thousand per year held) and get a bona fide no question brand new watch from Rolex in say 6 weeks to three months (2) Pay a Gray dealer an extra grand or several or more and get a watch that may be brand new, or perhaps varying condition depending upon the deal with somewhere between excellent provenance and something that is less so (3) Not buy the Rolex they want and wring their hands and complain about how things are right now and either bank the money (great move) or blow it on something else.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 09:15 AM   #60
Chachabah
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Datejust 126331
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDive View Post
I have never heard of this type of 'program' before and doubt if this is a Rolex policy. I recently bought a Datejust for my wife. We saw one at the dealer that she liked, but it sold the next day. So, I asked them to get me that same model and in 3 or 4 weeks they called me. We got it back in November 2023.

This watch is beautiful!

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does.
"
~ Some ramdom, really smart person...
Chachabah is offline   Reply With Quote