The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2014, 02:41 PM   #1
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I need inspiration! Please help me dear friends!

I have gone a bit quiet with "incomings" recently, I am looking for ideas for my next PP and am lacking inspiration.

A couple of limitations however:

1. It must be 40mm at least.
2. I don't like Aquanaut or Nautilus models (I may change the latter view when I see the 5990 in the flesh).
3. No yellow gold.
4. It should be a model that will hold its value reasonably well.
5. I am not VIP status with Patek, so can't get specials easily.
6. 5270/5970/5960/5235/5100/5070 are off the list.

If I don't get some inspiration, I may need to turn to the dark side (aka AP or RM).

Thank you in advance,

R
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

In WG

But I am sure you will come in the future to the 5711
You just have to put on your wrist
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 05:01 PM   #3
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
In WG

But I am sure you will come in the future to the 5711
You just have to put on your wrist
Last month my order for the 5131 arrived and I however did not seal the deal () cos I cannot get over the engraving on the bezel (and the fonting and in cursive form didn't helped me) and worst of all my husband is just next to me yak and yak about the bezel so I passed after 30 mins of agonizing decision considering I have been waiting this long for one! ... This proves regardless how exotic a piece can be it may not be for everyone. I ordered mine without seeing one in real life so it's my bad.

I was informed that the watch was sold the very next day to a friend of mine here locally. So it's all good.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 05:10 PM   #4
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
5205G, 5396G, 5146G, 5204P, 5004P.
I'm not sure if they all meet your size/value requirements but they're certainly not small.
5204p is a good call but I am not sure my dealer can get me one quickly unfortunately. 5004 is too small and the others don't really sing to me. Good suggestions though thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Last month my order for the 5131 arrived and I however did not seal the deal () cos I cannot get over the engraving on the bezel (and the fonting and in cursive form didn't helped me) and worst of all my husband is just next to me yak and yak about the bezel so I passed after 30 mins of agonizing decision considering I have been waiting this long for one! ... This proves regardless how exotic a piece can be it may not be for everyone. I ordered mine without seeing one in real life so it's my bad.

I was informed that the watch was sold the very next day to a friend of mine here locally. So it's all good.
Wow that's a big decision considering what they sell at in the secondary market!
Old 19 April 2014, 05:32 PM   #5
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Wow that's a big decision considering what they sell at in the secondary market!
True but we have seen at least 5 pcs asking around HKD1.5-2m in HK and Macau which are just not moving... I know a few of the ppl on the list queuing after me, so I know it is going to good hands (dear friends who have been waiting forever)

(Since anything I bought, I rarely sell it and might take a while, so best I pass on.)
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 05:51 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
5204p is a good call but I am not sure my dealer can get me one quickly unfortunately. 5004 is too small and the others don't really sing to me. Good suggestions though thanks.
Does it have to be quick?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 04:43 PM   #7
conkers
"TRF" Member

5131 is a worthy breach of my 40mm requirement and I hope to have one soon but it is out of my hands at present so need other options!!
Old 19 April 2014, 04:57 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

5205G, 5396G, 5146G, 5204P, 5004P.
I'm not sure if they all meet your size/value requirements but they're certainly not small.
Old 19 April 2014, 05:50 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

5180G on a strap or the 6102P?
Old 19 April 2014, 06:11 PM   #10
conkers
"TRF" Member

I guess speed is not of the essence but I do have a tendency to want to rush things when I have made a decision.

I was offered a 5180 and 6102 recently - the former is beautiful but I don't like the bracelet - I wasn't aware it came with a strap option. Your note suggests it does, but I am not sure how good it would look with a strap.

The 6102 I love and it was available to me from stock (highly unusual), but at that price I needed my better half's approval and she wasn't taken with it!!
Old 19 April 2014, 06:57 PM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I guess speed is not of the essence but I do have a tendency to want to rush things when I have made a decision.

I was offered a 5180 and 6102 recently - the former is beautiful but I don't like the bracelet - I wasn't aware it came with a strap option. Your note suggests it does, but I am not sure how good it would look with a strap.

The 6102 I love and it was available to me from stock (highly unusual), but at that price I needed my better half's approval and she wasn't taken with it!!
I'm not sure if Patek has a strap for the 5180 but I think the lug width is pretty standard so perhaps you can order a strap and 18k white gold patek buckle for it, it would definitely look a lot better than the bracelet.
Old 19 April 2014, 07:03 PM   #12
conkers
"TRF" Member

Also, it doesn't need to be a current model - I am very happy buying used but subject to the same criteria.
Old 19 April 2014, 07:51 PM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
That's a nice problem to have eh?

Maybe the 5204P split second chronograph? But you told me you don't like those piston pushers. Anyway, you have possibly have all the collectible complications from PP already short of minute repeaters or grand complications. So I think it's time to return back to the Dark Side! ( AP only, not RM as I prefer AP :chuckle ).

I too have run out of ideas for my next "must have" PP so I am just sitting tight now and waiting to see what comes out in October for the 175th anniversary. I supposed Mr Sterns will have a few surprises install for us. So maybe you should too and wait!
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 08:09 PM   #14
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
That's a nice problem to have eh?

Maybe the 5204P split second chronograph? But you told me you don't like those piston pushers. Anyway, you have possibly have all the collectible complications from PP already short of minute repeaters or grand complications. So I think it's time to return back to the Dark Side! ( AP only, not RM as I prefer AP :chuckle ).

I too have run out of ideas for my next "must have" PP so I am just sitting tight now and waiting to see what comes out in October for the 175th anniversary. I supposed Mr Sterns will have a few surprises install for us. So maybe you should too and wait!
You're absolutely right Ben - I don't like the piston pushers on the 5204 massively, but I am getting more used to them from my 5960. The movement is so exquisite that it sort of makes up for it! I haven't seen a 5204 in the flesh yet, so we will see.

Waiting is definitely a good idea, but I may not be able to! Only one AP is calling to me at the moment............
Old 19 April 2014, 08:22 PM   #15
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
40mm at least takes quite a few older models off the list Roger, whilst I understand your desire to stick with bigger timepieces it may be a tad harder to find something you don't already own.

5204 or 5004 are great choices in my opinion but perhaps less different if you compare them with what you have. If you really want something special how about this one? I trust you don't mind rose gold but otherwise it also comes in platinum.

On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 08:28 PM   #16
conkers
"TRF" Member

I love it Carl - 5074P would be perfect. I'd need to trade some pieces out though, and also I would be worried about liquidity at this end of the market in case I needed to sell quickly. Also, if I move to 5074 territory, I'd be inclined to carry on and go for the 5208, I feel it's a crisper more modern design (but arguably less "Patek" with it).
Old 19 April 2014, 08:35 PM   #17
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love it Carl - 5074P would be perfect. I'd need to trade some pieces out though, and also I would be worried about liquidity at this end of the market in case I needed to sell quickly. Also, if I move to 5074 territory, I'd be inclined to carry on and go for the 5208, I feel it's a crisper more modern design (but arguably less "Patek" with it).
Back in the days I used to have a lot of fun making small "reviews" of Patek models, I did one of the 5208 and thought that despite its size it was a very nice watch. Nowadays I must admit that it may not be the most practical watch to wear due to its thickness but the complications on it make it a really special beauty nonetheless.

I would personally prefer the 5207 to it if we're going to really complicated timepieces but that's just me. I'd save the monopusher chronograph for that model.

What about this one? More or less the same as the 5074 but a retrograde hand always makes things more special. Besides, you do the math...Breguet hands + Breguet numerals = amazing dial!

- André Fortin
Old 19 April 2014, 08:39 PM   #18
conkers
"TRF" Member

5213 is a very elegant piece indeed. That as a special order with a black dial and in P and my bank manager would be very nervous!
Old 19 April 2014, 08:41 PM   #19
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
5213 is a very elegant piece indeed. That as a special order with a black dial and in P and my bank manager would be very nervous!

- André Fortin
Old 19 April 2014, 08:45 PM   #20
conkers
"TRF" Member

It would be shame to lose any of these as part of an "upgrade"........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (99.0 KB, 482 views)
Old 19 April 2014, 09:35 PM   #21
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:

"5. I am not VIP status with Patek, so can't get specials easily."

With that great collection how is it that you're NOT a Patek VIP?!
What's a guy got to do?!
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 11:48 PM   #22
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Roger, you've the most beautiful PPs. However if you want something nice and simple go for 5170G.

Good luck my friend.

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 11:59 PM   #23
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
A good discount on the grey market could help you avoiding taking such a hit if you have to sell it again. You may end up losing a bit of money but it wouldn't be much compared to buying it new from an AD.
That was my logic, yes, I am really surprised the 5496P isn't well liked, I think it is very elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
"5. I am not VIP status with Patek, so can't get specials easily."

With that great collection how is it that you're NOT a Patek VIP?!
What's a guy got to do?!
Most not bought originally by me sadly, although all re-registered to me now, so I am hoping they will start to be more generous with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
5450g or 5550p. Both awesome but a tad smaller than 40mm.
A good call El - I will see if I can track some down - need to see them in flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
Which AP is calling you?
You won't be surprised - Platinum ROO Tourbillon Chrono!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Architect View Post
Did you get a chance trying the ALS 1815 Rattrapante in Platinum?

I assume (and understand that perhaps) you intend to stay loyal to PP but just in case, it is a highly recommended piece to take a look at...

Albeit your PP collection being rather special, the said ALS model is quite exquisite (the open back is a true work of art).
I love the Datograph Perpetual, but I will check this one out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
What about a 5040p with breguet numerals.
I know it is smaller than you want but to me a great watch!
Not seen one in the flesh, not convinced by the shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopiccoog View Post
I am in the same boat. I was a 39mm to 42mm guy because of my 7.5 inch wrist. However I have fallen in love with the 3970, 2499 and the 5004. like you I only like collector pieces vs just standard run of the mill Pateks(even though I own the 5711, 5980r, and 5164) I am also stuck on my next purchase. I do have some status with Patek but not enough. I did get offered a 5204p last year but passed because I knew the black was coming. I am kicking myself a bit because I am way down the list on the black dial. Unfortunately like the 5270 the 5204 has to be bought right. If pay anything close to retail you will get your head taken off if you want or have to sell it. I have also requested a 5131j but will have to work some behind the scenes majic for that one.

You should check out the 5004. They wear large because of crown and thickness.
Interesting, does the 5004 wear bigger than the 3970? Both are same diameter, but 3970 feels very small. I hope my 5131 is coming, they have been promising for some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Roger, what an enviable position to be in! The 5204 would be my pick, as others have suggested. For something different how about the 5396G Limited Edition For Tiffany & Co? Good luck, excited to see what's next.
That 5396 is very attractive I agree (albeit a touch small), there was one in the secondary market a few weeks back at a ludicrous premium, and it sold immediately! Not a fan of paying a big premium otherwise I would have bought the 5130P Dubai edition already, love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I think you have the Patek line pretty well covered, Roger. I'd diversify and get back into a nice AP/RM you can wear more casually!
I keep trying to give RM more money, but they keep letting me down. Re the AP, see above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalidSS View Post
Roger, you've the most beautiful PPs. However if you want something nice and simple go for 5170G.

Good luck my friend.
Thanks Khalid, G rather than J you think?
Old 19 April 2014, 08:52 PM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

If there is one model I'd flip to get a minute repeater it would be the 5960P, I am not a fan of that model.
Old 19 April 2014, 08:53 PM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Roger, you could get a nice Calatrava to scratch the itch and search a bit longer for your next amazing timepiece.
Old 19 April 2014, 08:59 PM   #26
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Roger, you could get a nice Calatrava to scratch the itch and search a bit longer for your next amazing timepiece.
Not a bad idea at all that, although most too small; actually I was thinking of a 5496P (close enough to 40mm) - not loved in the market, so large discounts achievable (but maybe a problem on the value retention criteria).
Old 19 April 2014, 09:06 PM   #27
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not a bad idea at all that, although most too small; actually I was thinking of a 5496P (close enough to 40mm) - not loved in the market, so large discounts achievable (but maybe a problem on the value retention criteria).
A good discount on the grey market could help you avoiding taking such a hit if you have to sell it again. You may end up losing a bit of money but it wouldn't be much compared to buying it new from an AD.

- André Fortin
Old 19 April 2014, 10:26 PM   #28
el1125
Banned

5450g or 5550p. Both awesome but a tad smaller than 40mm.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 10:48 PM   #29
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40
Did you get a chance trying the ALS 1815 Rattrapante in Platinum?

I assume (and understand that perhaps) you intend to stay loyal to PP but just in case, it is a highly recommended piece to take a look at...

Albeit your PP collection being rather special, the said ALS model is quite exquisite (the open back is a true work of art).
Old 19 April 2014, 10:45 PM   #30
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
Which AP is calling you?
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote