The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 January 2020, 02:53 PM   #91
Miura Mario
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexallday View Post
How do I show proof of purchase with a Kijiji purchase?
You would have record of correspondance with the individual - agreed upon sum etc.. i.e message, emails, texts
Miura Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 03:39 PM   #92
Rolexallday
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I tried asking for a BSF407 recently at both YYZ and YUL for a Patek and was refused on both occasions. They insisted that they no longer issue BSF407s and I have to provide proof of purchase proving it was acquired in Canada if asked for it. I hate dealing with CBSA.
Is a Kijiji ad or emails with seller valid lol?
Rolexallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 03:39 PM   #93
Rolexallday
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miura Mario View Post
You would have record of correspondance with the individual - agreed upon sum etc.. i.e message, emails, texts
Couldn't one just make a fake account and do all this stuff alone if they wanted?
Rolexallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 04:14 AM   #94
Zelly
"TRF" Member

Maybe to sum it all up. “If you play chitty games, you will win chitty prizes”
Zelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 11:43 AM   #95
Loverolex2020
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miura Mario View Post
Couldn't one just make this all up if they wanted to? Fake emails etc etc
Loverolex2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 03:36 AM   #96
zimv20ca
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
last year, i imported to Canada (from the US) a 14060M (used, obviously). by the time i paid all the import duties and taxes, it was about what Z-series Subs are going for here anyway.

to me, it was a wash, and i got exactly the watch i wanted from a trusted seller.

for a new Rolex from an AD, yes, it's cheaper to simply source it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6032 copy.jpg (83.3 KB, 349 views)
zimv20ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 06:51 AM   #97
Loverolex2020
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20ca View Post
last year, i imported to Canada (from the US) a 14060M (used, obviously). by the time i paid all the import duties and taxes, it was about what Z-series Subs are going for here anyway.

to me, it was a wash, and i got exactly the watch i wanted from a trusted seller.

for a new Rolex from an AD, yes, it's cheaper to simply source it here.
What was the cost of duties? I find its always best to buy locally
Loverolex2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:37 PM   #98
zimv20ca
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loverolex2020 View Post
What was the cost of duties? I find its always best to buy locally
$1816.77 CAD

of course i didn't love paying it, but monetarily it was a wash vs buying local. i wasn't getting very far locally trying to find a 14060M no-date 2-liner; Bob's had it on the first try.
zimv20ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2020, 06:32 PM   #99
louis66
"TRF" Member

Hi Guys,I am Chinese immigrant Canadians. If I purchase a hot model Rolex online from Canadian gary such as watchfinder toronto or distinctive time Vancouver. The warranty card is named someone else,and serial number maybe worldwide, how can I prove it was purchased in Canada?
louis66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2020, 09:49 PM   #100
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Just hold onto your receipt that you bought it here in Canada. That should be enough. You simply bought it used in Canada.
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 02:05 AM   #101
gsteve
Banned

buy from davidsw.........
gsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:50 AM   #102
Querbes90
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone,

my case is related to this thread...It is my first post and I'm really new at this.

I have the opportunity to buy a vintage Rolex 17013 (1979) on Chrono24 in mint condition, which is pretty rare and nowhere to find in Canada. I am dealing with a private seller that never sent a watch abroad. The watch is around 6 200$ Canadian dollars.

Since it is my first time and I'm new to this, I was wondering what was the best way to bring this watch from London UK to Canada. He said he would get the package insured.

I tried to read on various blogs and forums on the subject. I know that I will have to pay duty (5%) + the provincial sales taxes that is 14,75% in Quebec.

With the tool of CBSA, I calculated the fees to be around 1250$ Canadian dollars.

My first question is concerning the best way to ship. By mai like Royal mail or by courier like FEDEX UPS, etc . I know that the courier charges extra brokerage fee-based out of the value of the parcel, so its even more expensive i guess. I think with Royal mail then Canada Post there is a flat fee and it is not based on the parcel value, but is it accurate i dont know ?

My second question is concerning the value. The seller was ready to reduce it just a tiny bit. It's both our first time, so we don't really know. For example, if I buy the watch at 6200$ and he put the value of the parcel at 5 500 $ or around that price? How can someone verify the value of a vintage watch from 1979 (sorry I'm new)? Is it worth it to change the price just a bit or not worth it?

Is there anyone of you that had to deal with this situation or similar situations?

Querbes90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:45 PM   #103
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
Lol intercepting a box , they can’t prove anything and would never try

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
Yup. And CBSA WILL intercept the box and screw you! I advise highly against this.

This was posted recently, good reference for anyone considering trying to fool the CBSA: https://twitter.com/CanBorderQUE/sta...687905280?s=20

After the currency conversion and taxes/duties, buying in the US is usually unattractive price-wise for Canadians.
Theoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 03:32 PM   #104
Gord66
"TRF" Member

I've travelled to Europe ,Mexico and USA extensively. I've never been asked about a watch I'm wearing . You get the general questions and unless you arouse suspicion to be checked further its painless. If you're concerned about your watch wear a long sleeve shirt . If you didnt buy it on your trip you dont need to declare it. Period.
Gord66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 03:37 PM   #105
Gord66
"TRF" Member

Never use UPS to import to Canada. They way overcharge
Gord66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 04:10 AM   #106
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Querbes90 View Post
For example, if I buy the watch at 6200$ and he put the value of the parcel at 5 500 $ or around that price? How can someone verify the value of a vintage watch from 1979 (sorry I'm new)? Is it worth it to change the price just a bit or not worth it?
So you are intentionally falsifying a Customs declaration?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #107
angerbot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP. View Post
I declared a watch arriving into Toronto last month and was charged 13% HST + 5.65% duties. I only paid taxes on 1/5 of the value of the watch though because the customs officer chose to mark it down for honesty and to incentivize me to declare in the future.

I know many people that also either had their taxes waived or had a significantly reduced bill for declaring the watch.

When I fly out with watches I take a picture of the warranty with Canadian AD stamp and/or reciept. I also have a ton of wrist shots in Toronto with notable landmarks in the background in case.
This has been my experience as well. When I brought my Exp II back from Italy I declared it upon return to Canada. My wife also declared a couple of pairs of expensive shoes and some other items.

Customs charged us a total of $800 on ~$15,000 of goods in light of our honesty. I don't know why you wouldn't declare, their discretion goes both ways.
angerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 07:43 AM   #108
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoffice View Post
Lol intercepting a box , they can’t prove anything and would never try
Customs don’t have to prove anything.

It’s their job to be inquisitive, and your job to prove that you have paid the correct tax/duties.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 07:43 PM   #109
DoubleRedRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680-8
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say I live in canada and I’ve been across the border hundreds of times over the last 25 years with my submariner and not once has anyone asked about my watch coming or going. One time the metal detector guy said “nice watch” when I forgot to take it off once and it set off the metal detector. I think they are more concerned about drugs and guns, as they should be.
DoubleRedRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 08:05 PM   #110
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
There are a two main points being discussed here: Importing a watch and traveling abroad with a watch.

1. Import and duty is calculated here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html

Note: it doesn’t matter what country you are importing the watch from, it’s where the watch is manufactured that matters in the calculation. A watch manufactured in a non CUSMA country is 5% duty and your provincial rate of tax (in Ontario for example it is 13%). So 18% total.

2. Travel with a watch, you will need proof of ownership if you are stopped by CBSA and asked about your watch. I have digital copies in my phone of the receipt, warranty card, and plenty of pictures to back up my claim of ownership.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:00 PM   #111
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
There are a two main points being discussed here: Importing a watch and traveling abroad with a watch.

1. Import and duty is calculated here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html

Note: it doesn’t matter what country you are importing the watch from, it’s where the watch is manufactured that matters in the calculation. A watch manufactured in a non CUSMA country is 5% duty and your provincial rate of tax (in Ontario for example it is 13%). So 18% total.

2. Travel with a watch, you will need proof of ownership if you are stopped by CBSA and asked about your watch. I have digital copies in my phone of the receipt, warranty card, and plenty of pictures to back up my claim of ownership.

Have you had any issues with (2), Brian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:02 PM   #112
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I figured the import duties were high. From Chrono24, our watches here are much more expensive than the US.

Old 20 April 2024, 10:03 PM   #113
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
Have you had any issues with (2), Brian?

I can’t say I’ve ever been asked, but I figure it’s always good to have the information on hand if ever needed
Old 20 April 2024, 10:06 PM   #114
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I figured the import duties were high. From Chrono24, our watches here are much more expensive than the US.

Yes it’s a shame. If it weren’t for those darn duties, taxes and the BRUTAL exchange rate

I recently considered adding a 16710 but by the time I paid all of the above, the watch was close to $21000. Too rich for what it is IMHO.
Old 20 April 2024, 10:27 PM   #115
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes it’s a shame. If it weren’t for those darn duties, taxes and the BRUTAL exchange rate

I recently considered adding a 16710 but by the time I paid all of the above, the watch was close to $21000. Too rich for what it is IMHO.

That’s unfortunate. I’ve had the same experience with the Harrods Tudor lately.

Old 21 April 2024, 01:34 AM   #116
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
We had an Omega held once in customs at Pearson airport. My husband left it for repair and it was being shipped back from Florida to Ontario. The watch repair shop had to fax some paper work and it was released. That’s how customs wanted the paper work sent, by fax.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:40 AM   #117
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
So what you're saying is that Canadian citizens should bring along either the bill of sale or warranty card each time they travel internationally?

I'm not questioning the validity of your information. I'm just curious.

This just seems remarkably burdensome. So a couple traveling must bring their watches' paperwork, and all the paperwork associated with the jewerly the woman might choose to wear for the trip?
I've had this thought too. In fact this would apply to anyone leaving their home country with luxury items. There must be a practical limit on customs challenging folks about ownership of their stuff (?).

At the same time, for new purchases, it's proper to pay the taxes & duties due and have no issues down the road.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 06:34 AM   #118
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I take pictures of my warranty cards and bills of sale for watches I've purchased in Canada, just in case the CBP ever questions the watch upon return.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 07:05 AM   #119
Rollei35
"TRF" Member

I know a couple of reputable grey dealer in Toronto area. They can get any Rolex from Dubai for you. They absorb the risk of shipping, duty/tariff. Of course there is a cost/premium you have to pay.
Basically you agree on a price with them, pay a couple of hundreds deposit, wait for a couple of weeks. Then you go in to a store to pick up or they ship it to you within Canada for $20. I have done that twice
Old 21 April 2024, 07:58 AM   #120
smc23
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Agree with others here. Absolutely not worth it and if watch is not declared truthfully and caught by CBSA your name will always be on their record. Not to mention the remaining tax duties owing and potential penalties that go with it.
smc23 is offline   Reply With Quote