The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2020, 05:10 AM   #31
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Holly moly this sounds complicated :-(
Old 17 January 2020, 05:10 AM   #32
LawMan
"TRF" Member

You guys are so naïve. I have heard of cases where the RCMP has shown up at somebody’s door because they have opened packages and found empty watch boxes being sent by mail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:12 AM   #33
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quangtungnguyen View Post
Let's just say for conversation sake, you come back into Canada how can they prove you purchased the watch in the states if you mail the box back. Unless they go to the extreme lengths of looking at video of you going into the states. I don't think it's really normal to go on "vacation" with their bill of sale/receipt.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It's not up to them to prove where the watch originated (from Canada or not). It is up to you to prove it.

Have picture of your warranty card or receipt on your phone. With a picture of it beside your watch, etc. That should be good enough. Or you can go to a border service agency prior to leaving the country have them record the serial number, etc. (they don't even need the receipt or card if you record it with them). They write it down on a little green card, stamp and sign... and you can then bring that with you leaving or coming back to the country if they ever ask you.

Even if you bought the item in Canada. It is subject to inspection as its the not the border's obligation to know. Again, it's your obligation to prove it.

If you are wondering, any border has a legal right to take your phone, papers, etc.to inspect whether you are lying about importing, working, etc. You can try to take them to court but guess what... in a situation like that, it's something you won't win nor is worth the hassle.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:13 AM   #34
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch129025 View Post
Alphasports writes in part "[GST and Duty] on top of the very high FX you'll get nailed by (presumably) your CC, makes it a bad deal. Note: New Rolex prices are far cheaper in Canada dollar for dollar."

True--but where are we going to find watches in Canada?
Where are you going to find watches anywhere? If you're looking grey in CAN go to canwatchco.ca
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:14 AM   #35
diharv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
So what you're saying is that Canadian citizens should bring along either the bill of sale or warranty card each time they travel internationally?

I'm not questioning the validity of your information. I'm just curious.

This just seems remarkably burdensome. So a couple traveling must bring their watches' paperwork, and all the paperwork associated with the jewerly the woman might choose to wear for the trip?
That's just ridiculous . If its used and shows signs of wear there's not gonna be an issue . Just wear long sleeves. It it's brand new and flashy and you're flaunting it around like a rapper then yes expect some questions.
diharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:18 AM   #36
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Lange 1 Daymat
5% duty plus your provincial sales tax. Ie. 18% in Ontario. 10% in Alberta.

Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Dj_masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:21 AM   #37
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So what you're saying is that Canadian citizens should bring along either the bill of sale or warranty card each time they travel internationally?

This just seems remarkably burdensome. So a couple traveling must bring their watches' paperwork, and all the paperwork associated with the jewerly the woman might choose to wear for the trip?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer, there is a way around that with just pictures, etc. My post above. It's not common for them to inspect and hassle you. It's not their primary job, but the border does do it and have done it before.

It's also not just Canada. I'm pretty sure the US or anywhere else that has import taxes, VAT, duties, etc. are subject to these inspections. How often or whether they decide to do it is solely up to them as well the international trade agreements established between countries on particular goods.
Old 17 January 2020, 05:26 AM   #38
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Importing a Rolex into Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quangtungnguyen View Post
Let's just say for conversation sake, you come back into Canada how can they prove you purchased the watch in the states if you mail the box back. Unless they go to the extreme lengths of looking at video of you going into the states. I don't think it's really normal to go on "vacation" with their bill of sale/receipt.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This is what they can (and have done). Hire investigators and get credit card receipts etc.:
https://www.narcity.com/news/canadia...oods-at-border

What you do is get a BSF407 from customs at the airport or at a border crossing BEFORE you go over. Bring a receipt or a recent appraisal within Canada when you take it to customs. The agent will record this information on the form and will sign and stamp it. This proves that you brought the item with you when you left the country.

I’ve done this for watches and camera gear with serial numbers. The BSF407 has no expiration date and is a green coloured card that you can keep with you indefinitely for future trips. No need to bring warranty cards, receipts, etc. that you may lose on vacation.

Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Old 17 January 2020, 05:26 AM   #39
shlomom
"TRF" Member

I definitely agree, it’s risky as border patrol has huge discretion.
I’ve heard of people buying and bringing back, no problems. My AD told me to carry my card or a picture of it. I’ve just never heard of anyone getting charged.
shlomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:28 AM   #40
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Importing a Rolex into Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomom View Post
I definitely agree, it’s risky as border patrol has huge discretion.
I’ve heard of people buying and bringing back, no problems. My AD told me to carry my card or a picture of it. I’ve just never heard of anyone getting charged.

I have. A guy I know bought an AP privately off forums in Toronto and went to Hong Kong. Agent noticed the watch and asked for proof of purchase within Canada. Couldn’t prove it. Border confiscated the watch and would not release it unless he paid $20k+ in taxes duties and fines.

Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Old 17 January 2020, 05:35 AM   #41
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I'm pretty sure the US or anywhere else that has import taxes, VAT, duties, etc. are subject to these inspections. How often or whether they decide to do it is solely up to them as well the international trade agreements established between countries on particular goods.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:38 AM   #42
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Just an anecdote from years ago. I sold an 116520 Daytona to a gentleman in Canada. He asked me to ship it to a branch of his company in upstate New York. After receiving payment and talking on the phone with the co-worker I did just that.
I have to assume the buyer walked it back across the boarder and made it okay. Most likely mailed the box, etc to himself.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:40 AM   #43
shlomom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_masse View Post
I have. A guy I know bought an AP privately off forums in Toronto and went to Hong Kong. Agent noticed the watch and asked for proof of purchase within Canada. Couldn’t prove it. Border confiscated the watch and would not release it unless he paid $20+ in taxes duties and fines.

Woah - yikes!
I think you can withdraw your application for re-entry if you think the border agent is asking tough questions. I think the OP, or anyone considering taking on the risk, could consider that...
Old 17 January 2020, 05:42 AM   #44
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Can't someone just photoshop the picture on the phone to have Canada number?
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 05:47 AM   #45
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure, but that would be fraud which is a worse offence
Old 17 January 2020, 05:49 AM   #46
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #47
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_masse View Post
5% duty plus your provincial sales tax. Ie. 18% in Ontario. 10% in Alberta.

It's 5% in Alberta. 12% in BC and 13% in Ontario. That's if you buy a watch in either of those states. Alberta would be the cheapest place to buy your Rolex if you were Canadian.

Nevermind ^ I didn't read it correctly for duty + state tax.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #48
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I've travelled across borders many times with Rolexes. I always bring my bill of sale with me, just in case. Having said that, I have never been stopped or questioned.

The ones who get stopped most are those who show up like this...

FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #49
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
It's 5% in Alberta. 12% in BC and 12% in Ontario. That's if you buy a watch in either of those states. Alberta would be the cheapest place to buy your Rolex if you were Canadian.

I meant in total, if you’re importing in to Canada and in to those PROVINCES (we don’t have states).

It’s 18% total if you’re importing in to Ontario (5% duties plus 13% HST) and 10% total if you’re importing in to Alberta (5% duties and 5% Provincial sales tax). I can confirm both amounts as I have paid both amounts.

Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Old 17 January 2020, 06:12 AM   #50
bezler
"TRF" Member

Why buy a Rolex from the US? The prices are better in Canada. Sure, they're hard to get, but that's because they're a better deal. Now if it's a "must have now" situation, that's a different story.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 17 January 2020, 06:54 AM   #51
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
Why buy a Rolex from the US? The prices are better in Canada. Sure, they're hard to get, but that's because they're a better deal. Now if it's a "must have now" situation, that's a different story.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Trust me, grey dealers have nothing good (i.e. 6 digits sports models) to sell in Canada, and if they do, it litterally disappears in a matter of hours despite the Watchfinder levels of premium they are selling at. There are a lot less ADs in Canada and they receive less pieces because the market is just smaller overall. My local Rolex AD told me they only received two Hulks in 2019, their wait lists for the Pepsi, new Batman and Hulk could last 3 to 4 years at their current allocation pace.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 08:00 AM   #52
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Take a photo of warranty card to be sure.

It could happen but I've never done it and have gone back and forth over the border without issue.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 08:07 AM   #53
shlomom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Trust me, grey dealers have nothing good (i.e. 6 digits sports models) to sell in Canada, and if they do, it litterally disappears in a matter of hours despite the Watchfinder levels of premium they are selling at. There are a lot less ADs in Canada and they receive less pieces because the market is just smaller overall. My local Rolex AD told me they only received two Hulks in 2019, their wait lists for the Pepsi, new Batman and Hulk could last 3 to 4 years at their current allocation pace.
Curious - where was this dealer located? I've seen things getting easier over the last 5 months...
Old 17 January 2020, 08:10 AM   #54
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Yep. Or drive. Not overly complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
From which country? If its from the US, buy a cheap flight and buy the watch and wear it when returning. Send the box via usps for 20 bucks.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:19 AM   #55
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

My AD told me to take a picture of my warranty card is I'm traveling because he's had clients who had issues with customs while wearing their watch abroad.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:55 AM   #56
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
it will cost you more with exchange rate , duties and taxes. If you do not declare it, then you can never safely wear the watch out of Canada again, assuming you don't get caught .
Lol...

Have you ever had a border guard check what watch you have on, or try to cross reference its serial number in some database to see if it is a native canadian rolex?

I haven't. Not on any luxury watch I've worn over the border. That said, I have never worn one to illegally import it, but I easily could have.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:57 AM   #57
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
My AD told me to take a picture of my warranty card is I'm traveling because he's had clients who had issues with customs while wearing their watch abroad.
Uh-huh... how many watch owners even keep their card after the warranty expires, apart from collectors?

Seems dubious advice to me.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:09 PM   #58
SwedishPar
Banned

Nah..I think you can safely buy a watch abroad and take it with you without any worries. Especially if it is a used one.

Do not be a dummy and keep the receipts on you as somoene already mentioned. Where in the world should the agent start his search?

You could have bought it in your country from someone who illegally brought it. Should you now have to backtrack that chain of owners?
Or what database is there that has those records official?

And what is I take the watch out of the country on my next travel and sell it? Do I get my taxes back? Or If I only plan to go home and shower to travel again??

Only way to get busted is if you are dumb enough to claim foregin taxes back. Then I bet over a certain sum a ping gets sent to customs at your destination that NN with passport nr XX has claimed taxes back on items Z B M Q totalling.....
SwedishPar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:11 PM   #59
Kel03
"TRF" Member

All good info everyone, thanks. It's just the lack of watches in Canada, specifically the one I'm looking for. SM 116613LN. I'll find one here, again, thanks
Kel03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:24 PM   #60
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomom View Post
Curious - where was this dealer located? I've seen things getting easier over the last 5 months...
Quebec City. Small market but I bet you the whole province is on their wait list since there are only 4 Rolex ADs in Quebec. Not too difficult to call them all for your desired piece and plan the trip if by any miracle, they ever get to your name.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote