The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2020, 01:37 PM   #61
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_masse View Post
I meant in total, if you’re importing in to Canada and in to those PROVINCES (we don’t have states).

It’s 18% total if you’re importing in to Ontario (5% duties plus 13% HST) and 10% total if you’re importing in to Alberta (5% duties and 5% Provincial sales tax). I can confirm both amounts as I have paid both amounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alberta doesn't have a Provincial sales tax, only GST, which is 5%. But your math is correct, it's 10% total.
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 01:39 PM   #62
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Lange 1 Daymat
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyers View Post
Alberta doesn't have a Provincial sales tax, only GST, which is 5%. But your math is correct, it's 10% total.

Thanks for the correction. That’s what I meant but brain fart.

Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Dj_masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 02:05 PM   #63
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Had customs agents more interested in what was in my baggage than what was on my wrist.

Got grilled a year ago on a trip back from Jamaica. He could care less what was on my wrist.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 03:40 PM   #64
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
So what you're saying is that Canadian citizens should bring along either the bill of sale or warranty card each time they travel internationally?

I'm not questioning the validity of your information. I'm just curious.

This just seems remarkably burdensome. So a couple traveling must bring their watches' paperwork, and all the paperwork associated with the jewerly the woman might choose to wear for the trip?
"When you show your valuables to a border services officer and state that you acquired them in Canada or lawfully imported them, the officer will list the valuables and their serial numbers on a wallet-sized card called a BSF407, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation. This form is only available at the port of entry. If you are questioned about your goods when you return to Canada, show your card to the officer. This will help identify the valuables that were in your possession before leaving the country"

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/declare

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 04:19 PM   #65
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Had customs agents more interested in what was in my baggage than what was on my wrist.

Got grilled a year ago on a trip back from Jamaica. He could care less what was on my wrist.
You went into secondary and the guy turned all your stuff upside down right?

Total nightmare.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 04:31 AM   #66
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
I would say wait for vacation and shop around in the US or if someone you trust is traveling you buy online have it shipped to them and they bring it into Canada for you. My family would definitely do that for me
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #67
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel03 View Post
All good info everyone, thanks. It's just the lack of watches in Canada, specifically the one I'm looking for. SM 116613LN. I'll find one here, again, thanks
Howard Fine Jewellers in Ottawa had one in the case in Nov or so. PM me if you want a contact.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #68
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Howard has a TT Sub Bluesy in the case as of an hour ago
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 05:01 PM   #69
Ptaha67
Banned

Get your watches appraised in your name. Save the appraisals on your phone in PDF format. When you travel you can always show that the watches have been appraised in Canada, as well as the date of the appraisal including your name in it. If you need online appraisals help with your watches DM me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Ptaha67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 05:51 PM   #70
gould86
"TRF" Member

Before you leave Canada you can visit the CBSA office at the airport with your receipt/warranty card and fill out a 'Form BSF407, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation'. The card has no expiry date and acts as proof of purchase.
gould86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 04:37 PM   #71
Rolexallday
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_masse View Post
I have. A guy I know bought an AP privately off forums in Toronto and went to Hong Kong. Agent noticed the watch and asked for proof of purchase within Canada. Couldn’t prove it. Border confiscated the watch and would not release it unless he paid $20k+ in taxes duties and fines.

I bought a watch from a guy in Canada, how do I know if he paid duties or not? I don't want to be in this situation! He got it from the Cayman Islands somewhere I will never be going.

I bought a watch from a guy in Canada, how do I know if he paid duties or not? I don't want to be in this situation! He got it from the Cayman Islands somewhere I will never be going.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Rolexallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 03:51 AM   #72
Miura Mario
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
Lol...

Have you ever had a border guard check what watch you have on, or try to cross reference its serial number in some database to see if it is a native canadian rolex?

I haven't. Not on any luxury watch I've worn over the border. That said, I have never worn one to illegally import it, but I easily could have.
Ive been asked before - went like nice watch is that new - I responded thanks and no ive had it a fee years. Smiled and that was it.
Miura Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 03:53 AM   #73
Miura Mario
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexallday View Post
[/QUOTE]

Say you baught if off a guy in Canada.. which is what happened - kijiji anyone?
Miura Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 03:54 AM   #74
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:

All you need to do is the post above yours.

Get the 'Form BSF407, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation', bring the watch only show the serial on the watch. Have the officer sign it and you are good to go.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 04:52 AM   #75
KevinP.
"TRF" Member

I declared a watch arriving into Toronto last month and was charged 13% HST + 5.65% duties. I only paid taxes on 1/5 of the value of the watch though because the customs officer chose to mark it down for honesty and to incentivize me to declare in the future.

I know many people that also either had their taxes waived or had a significantly reduced bill for declaring the watch.

When I fly out with watches I take a picture of the warranty with Canadian AD stamp and/or reciept. I also have a ton of wrist shots in Toronto with notable landmarks in the background in case.

A. Lange & Sohne Datograph 403.035
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 14790
Blancpain Aqua Lung No Radiation
KevinP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 10:05 AM   #76
Rolexallday
Banned

I got the watch I wanted here for 14k, 2016 mint datejust ii 41mm diamond champagne dial on a jubilee,,,,how do you guys think I did for price? Retail is $18050 plus tax
Old 28 January 2020, 10:08 AM   #77
Rolexallday
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
Suppose you successfully got it across the border without declaring it. Then later you wear it out of the country on vacation. When you enter Canada , Canada Customs has the right to ask you where you got the watch. Without a real bill of sale showing the watch was purchased in Canada or in case of Rolex the country code is on each warranty card and if does not say 700 , the country code for Canada, you got some explaining to do.
The one I got is from the US and guy did wear it across and not declare it,,,,,how do I avoid issues with it I got it from him here in Canada? My other sub guy got from cayman island and didn't declare,,,,will I have issues???
Old 28 January 2020, 10:16 AM   #78
Rolexallday
Banned

Quote:
The one I got is from the US and guy did wear it across and not declare it,,,,,how do I avoid issues with it I got it from him here in Canada? My other sub guy got from cayman island and didn't declare,,,,will I have issues???
How do I show proof of purchase with a Kijiji purchase?
Old 28 January 2020, 10:16 AM   #79
justjay82
"TRF" Member

it’s going to be a pain and expensive.
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 10:21 AM   #80
Rolexallday
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjay82 View Post
it’s going to be a pain and expensive.
What is ?
Old 28 January 2020, 10:43 AM   #81
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How do I show proof of purchase with a Kijiji purchase?
You can't. Simple as that.

But I suggest you read through the thread first and my post above responding to your post.

Register your watch (with the serial number located on your watch) with the border agency. They'll give you a form, fill it out, they'll mark down the serial, sign off, give you a little green card and send you off on your way. They might ask you where you bought it and simply tell the truth that you bought it secondhand/pre-owned locally. They won't ask anymore.

You don't need to bring the box, receipt, or warranty card. You have the serial number on your watch already. It's already in Canada and they will rarely challenge you if you are already trying to register it with them.

Every time you leave the country with your watch, just bring that small piece of paper or have a picture of it. The piece of paper is no bigger than your passport.

E.g. from google. It looks like this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

You can get these forms usually at an airport or another government office in your city. Just google search it.
Old 28 January 2020, 11:00 AM   #82
bezler
"TRF" Member

Rolex watches are hard to get everywhere, but at least the prices are much better in Canada. Why complicate the issue? Take advantage of the lucky situation you find yourself in. It would be silly to pay more.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 28 January 2020, 11:02 AM   #83
Rolexallday
Banned

Ok nice, so I just do this for all my watches once and then I won't have any issues in the future?

Someone told me get a local appraisal as another way to prove you had it before you left.
Old 28 January 2020, 11:11 AM   #84
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok nice, so I just do this for all my watches once and then I won't have any issues in the future?

Someone told me get a local appraisal as another way to prove you had it before you left.
Appraisals, etc. like that should be good enough proof. I'm not an expert in this, but I typically register any expensive electronics, etc. with border agency before with this form.

It's really no issue. It's been around for ages. Certainly beats the hassle if you are questioned at the border especially if you did buy it in Canada.

Takes like 10 minutes and you can do multiple items at once.
Old 28 January 2020, 11:25 AM   #85
maxbaris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
I highly recommend that you check out the Canadian Watch Collector (CWC) forums.

maxbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 11:37 AM   #86
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
I tried to register my Daytona with CBSA couple years ago.
The officer said I didn't need to and refuse to do anything.
He just said my picture of warranty card was enough.
I thought he was lazy and didn't want to do any work.
Next time, I'll ask for the 'Form BSF407, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation'.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 01:02 PM   #87
tng11
"TRF" Member

I tried asking for a BSF407 recently at both YYZ and YUL for a Patek and was refused on both occasions. They insisted that they no longer issue BSF407s and I have to provide proof of purchase proving it was acquired in Canada if asked for it. I hate dealing with CBSA.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 01:42 PM   #88
Alastris
"TRF" Member

These are all extreme examples. Sure they have the right to question you and your watch. Do they? No, virtually never. For every "scary story' you hear there are thousands of people who get away with it.

I don't carry warranty cards with me. That's just silly. But I can produce proof if need be, even if it's not the exact same day.

It is not worth the hassle though. I was looking at a JLC MUT moon 2 days ago and didn't feel that saving 500 dollars was worth the risk for what is otherwise a flashy, brand new watch.

You can proceed at your own risk.
Alastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 01:47 PM   #89
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gould86 View Post
Before you leave Canada you can visit the CBSA office at the airport with your receipt/warranty card and fill out a 'Form BSF407, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation'. The card has no expiry date and acts as proof of purchase.
You don't even need a receipt or warranty card tbh.

Old 28 January 2020, 01:50 PM   #90
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I tried asking for a BSF407 recently at both YYZ and YUL for a Patek and was refused on both occasions. They insisted that they no longer issue BSF407s and I have to provide proof of purchase proving it was acquired in Canada if asked for it. I hate dealing with CBSA.
Show them what's on their website and ask for a manager.

Source: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-6-5-eng.html