The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 May 2024, 02:43 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Dubai Sky Mansions...get them while they're hot...

Well I guess they're always going to be hot....it's Dubai.

https://newatlas.com/architecture/si...ina/#gallery:1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 261636468d555d4x.jpg (45.6 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg AB-Image-Size-1200-x-800-42x.jpg (53.7 KB, 412 views)
Old 1 May 2024, 03:25 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Dubai Sky Mansions...get them while they're hot...

The wife and I frequently transit Dubai as we enjoy flying Emirates. Our last visit incurred a 30 hour layover, with accommodations provided by the airline.

We did not enjoy our short visit and safe to say will never set foot outside the airport or provided accommodations again.

Beautiful city, superficially and that’s about it. Other than that, the hospitality was non existent. We never felt welcome wherever we went. We got scammed by a Chauffeur service masquerading as a taxi our first night.

All this in stark contrast to our experience in Doha, Qatar which was significantly more pleasant all around.

And yes. It’s hot and humid.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:44 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Not surprised.

As a side note, Wife and i love watching the comedy show TV series Dubai Bling. It is amazing what unlimited access to anything and self-centered personalities do. Also helps gain a better understanding of their 'society values' in a comedic way.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 07:11 AM   #4
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
The wife and I frequently transit Dubai as we enjoy flying Emirates. Our last visit incurred a 30 hour layover, with accommodations provided by the airline.

We did not enjoy our short visit and safe to say will never set foot outside the airport or provided accommodations again.

Beautiful city, superficially and that’s about it. Other than that, the hospitality was non existent. We never felt welcome wherever we went. We got scammed by a Chauffeur service masquerading as a taxi our first night.

All this in stark contrast to our experience in Doha, Qatar which was significantly more pleasant all around.

Dubai has changed quite a bit in the last five years. It has always been a place to spend your money, but now it’s become too westernized. It has lost the first class service culture that made it a top destination. Not to mention the open acceptance of massage parlors all over the old city. It reminds me of Manama Bahrain in the US Navy hangouts.

It’s Muscat and Doha when we’re in the region.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 10:54 AM   #5
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

Am in Dubai now and always love it. I have friends and business here which may make a difference. Very safe, beautiful, great food and I have found the hospitality at least as good as most other large cities.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 07:04 PM   #6
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
A city built using oil money, using slave labour? No thank you very much.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 07:11 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That tower looks likes it’s about to blast off. I guess good design/architecture is subjective
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 07:49 PM   #8
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
A city built using oil money, using slave labour? No thank you very much.
They use low cost foreign labor, not slave labor. Much like the labor the US uses in unskilled positions (who harvests your fruit?). Everyone gets paid, some more than others.

Dubai was built on foreign investment, not oil. It’s been a while since Dubai was a player in the oil export business. The UAE’s oil exports are from Abu Dhabi. A completely different ruling family. Dubai doesn’t share in that income.
Old 2 May 2024, 09:02 PM   #9
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
May seem like a fabulous place to live, but I've seen enough movies to know you don't want to be in a building like that when Superheroes start fighting.
Old 2 May 2024, 09:49 PM   #10
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
They use low cost foreign labor, not slave labor. Much like the labor the US uses in unskilled positions (who harvests your fruit?). Everyone gets paid, some more than others.

Dubai was built on foreign investment, not oil. It’s been a while since Dubai was a player in the oil export business. The UAE’s oil exports are from Abu Dhabi. A completely different ruling family. Dubai doesn’t share in that income.
Rubbish. A lot of Asian workers have to endure inhuman conditions and have to hand their passports in to their employers, often working just to pay off debts for their over populated living quarters.

If that's not modern slavery, I'm not sure what is.
Old 2 May 2024, 11:10 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They use low cost foreign labor, not slave labor.
Heard it was akin to indentured servitude, with the added fatal bonus of Passport confiscation at the get-go. History shows many places within the Middle East were built by very very VERY cheap labor, so it could be considered by some to simply be part of their Middle Eastern culture (religion?).

Kinda like if you lived among generation after generation of cannibals, then cannibalism would seem normal to your society.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 3 May 2024, 02:02 AM   #12
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rubbish. A lot of Asian workers have to endure inhuman conditions and have to hand their passports in to their employers, often working just to pay off debts for their over populated living quarters.

If that's not modern slavery, I'm not sure what is.
You need to Google what slavery is. You clearly have no idea.

I worked in the middle east half my life. I never once saw working conditions as brutal as west africa where actual slavery still exists.
Old 3 May 2024, 05:16 AM   #13
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
IBTL with the direction this thread is headed….

I’ll probably sound like the dumb American here but as someone completely naive to travel to the Middle East as a whole, and the UAE by extension can someone explain the draw of visiting the region? Other than some very nice shopping centers what all is there to do/see that makes this a place people want to travel to outside of work/business meetings?
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 07:10 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great question Steve, and in recent years the area (in general) has greatly stepped up adding 'attractions' to draw tourists (and seeking businesses). Some of their ventures are quite interesting and far too extensive / diverse to post here.

We live in interesting times.

Old 3 May 2024, 08:59 AM   #15
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
IBTL with the direction this thread is headed….

I’ll probably sound like the dumb American here but as someone completely naive to travel to the Middle East as a whole, and the UAE by extension can someone explain the draw of visiting the region? Other than some very nice shopping centers what all is there to do/see that makes this a place people want to travel to outside of work/business meetings?
Look at Dubai as the Caribbean for Europeans. Beaches, endless sunshine, and all the same entertainment that you’d find at a good beach resort. Plus world class shopping.

It’s a very western friendly area. Visa on arrival. All the name brand hotels. And an economy focused on enticing foreigners to leave their cash in Dubai.

If you are into it, there’s dune bashing, scuba diving (better an hours drive east to Fujairah), camping, glamping, F1, and a lot of cultural activities.
Old 3 May 2024, 12:08 PM   #16
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Look at Dubai as the Caribbean for Europeans. Beaches, endless sunshine, and all the same entertainment that you’d find at a good beach resort. Plus world class shopping.

It’s a very western friendly area. Visa on arrival. All the name brand hotels. And an economy focused on enticing foreigners to leave their cash in Dubai.

If you are into it, there’s dune bashing, scuba diving (better an hours drive east to Fujairah), camping, glamping, F1, and a lot of cultural activities.
Thanks G! I appreciate the insight; honestly I didn’t even think about F1 it would probably be badass to go for F1 weekend! And I didn’t even consider scuba diving / water activities; makes total sense.

You’d think as a guy from Nevada I’d understand the draw of wanting to go to a desert in the middle of nowhere just because it has some nice hotels and shopping LOL.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 04:57 PM   #17
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No, the Caribbean is the Caribbean for Europeans.

All of the listed activities can be found in Europe and much, much more. Ok, replace dune bashing with mountains, lakes, real beaches, more F1, more sport than you can actually watch, and even more cultural activities, I'd say Dubai is rather lacking in the things to do category. Apart from spend exorbitant amounts of money on thing can be easily be found locally.

In essence, Dubai is just a soulless, rich man’s playground which offers little other than an expensive setting, in a morally questionable environment.
Old 3 May 2024, 07:37 PM   #18
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, the Caribbean is the Caribbean for Europeans.

All of the listed activities can be found in Europe and much, much more. Ok, replace dune bashing with mountains, lakes, real beaches, more F1, more sport than you can actually watch, and even more cultural activities, I'd say Dubai is rather lacking in the things to do category. Apart from spend exorbitant amounts of money on thing can be easily be found locally.

In essence, Dubai is just a soulless, rich man’s playground which offers little other than an expensive setting, in a morally questionable environment.
I can see you hate Dubai and will go out of your way to trash it. You are in the minority. Millions have enjoyed pleasant holidays there. Millions more will do so in the future.
Old 3 May 2024, 08:45 PM   #19
TRS1
"TRF" Member

With all the salt they pump back into the water I can’t imagine there is good diving near Dubai. I’d rather dive in Scotland.
TRS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 11:32 PM   #20
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Clearly the region is polarizing among some members of the forum, for that reason let's be respectful.

In particular, just because one "can" doesn't mean one "should" attack another.

It's complicated - I grant you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 11:59 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Great wisdom, and agree with Paul.

Old 4 May 2024, 12:04 AM   #22
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Clearly the region is polarizing among some members of the forum, for that reason let's be respectful.

Do you honestly believe that all correspondence on the forum needs to be of a positive nature? I mean it would be amazing if it was, but we are having real life discussions based on peoples personal experiences, and it’s absolutely fine to have a differing opinion. If we are discussing a place or a watch, or even a car, it is perfectly within the rules of the forum to discuss pro's and con's, which has been done here.

Some people are more direct than others, but please don't confuse this as a personal attack or being disrespectful, it's merely voicing one's opinion.
Old 4 May 2024, 12:22 AM   #23
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
IBTL, just curious were this thread is going
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:52 AM   #24
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

So many places I want to see other than Dubai. IBTL
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 01:42 AM   #25
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
With all the salt they pump back into the water I can’t imagine there is good diving near Dubai. I’d rather dive in Scotland.
The gulf is bad due to oil production and construction. Fujairah (eastern shore of UAE) has good diving. For tech diving there are some great deep wrecks
Old 6 May 2024, 05:44 PM   #26
private jet villain
"TRF" Member

I understand the allure of Dubai. Despite the intense heat, it can offer a lifestyle of comfort and luxury, especially in its safe environment. It's rare to find a place where I can confidently stroll with a watch worth $500k or even $1m without any concerns for safety.
private jet villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 12:52 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Excellent point about safety PJV, and we know Singapore is an excellent choice as well.

Plus Singapore has Krispy Kreme donuts :)

Old 7 May 2024, 01:13 AM   #28
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

You can lead them to water…