The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Closed Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 01:32 AM   #1
Mark
TRF Founder

Watch: PAM 187 / SS LV
Icon9 If you could change anything on TRF .....

If you could change anything on TRF what would it be?

I'd like some feedback from our membership. I am committed to making this a better place for everyone and your feedback is key. Many changes have been made along the way that were reccommendations from our members.

Fire away if you dare.
Old 24 April 2006, 05:51 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for asking, Mark.

I can immediately think of one thing.

When we've just submitted a post and suddenly find that there needs to be a small change made (like say a typo or even a comma, etc.), we click on EDIT and then re-submit the post.

At that time we find a small note at the bottom which states that we have edited our post.

What I would like to request is can we have this message come up say 10 minutes or so later (i.e. if we choose to edit the post say 10 minutes later), but NOT immediately after the post has been edited?

Thanks - JJ

Time limit has been set to 60 minutes. Mark

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 24 April 2006 at 06:23 AM..
Old 24 April 2006, 06:39 AM   #3
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Thanks for asking, Mark.

I can immediately think of one thing.

What I would like to request is can we have this message come up say 10 minutes or so later (i.e. if we choose to edit the post say 10 minutes later), but NOT immediately after the post has been edited?

Thanks - JJ

This is not a hijack. JJ, I do not understand it. Why do you want this?

What I would like is some features one can find with other forum software. The ability to create and maintain on-line databases. More smilies. The ability to remove a post all together. Storing pictures within posts (without external storage), answering posts from e-mail (or is this possible, never tried it before) without having to come on-line.

Looking into these. Mark
Old 24 April 2006, 07:20 AM   #4
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
More smilies, the ability to delete your own post, and not having to wait 30 or 60 seconds to post again or send another PM.

Time between posts now set to zero. Smilies, we are looking into. Time between PM's was already set to zero after JJ's request. Mark
Old 24 April 2006, 07:47 AM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

More smileys.

BTW, Thanks for fixing the staying logged on problem, Mark

Looking into more smilies. Mark
Old 24 April 2006, 10:43 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
This is not a hijack. JJ, I do not understand it. Why do you want this?

What I would like is some features one can find with other forum software. The ability to create and maintain on-line databases. More smilies. The ability to remove a post all together. Storing pictures within posts (without external storage), answering posts from e-mail (or is this possible, never tried it before) without having to come on-line.
No intention of hijacking, Frans....just that I don't like to see an edit thingy at the bottom just 'cause one goes back to correct a typo. Anyway, not very important.

However, Mark, can you please introduce some more smileys? Here are a few suggestions....accept them if you like them. Thanks.

Drooling smiley...we need this very often...

Some more...

This one whenever CJ logs on...

This one comes in hand if a new lady member decides to log on...

Who's afraid of the dark?

Party time...Let's rock this boat!!

CJ on the run, his ass on fire!!

JJ in his younger days when he had some hair on his head!!

Looking into the smilies. Mark

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 24 April 2006 at 10:46 AM..
Old 24 April 2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Mark
TRF Founder

I'm surprised to see more smiles. There are 21 displayed and another 36 after clicking the more button. That's 57 total and we need more?
Old 24 April 2006, 11:08 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
I'm surprised to see more smiles. There are 21 displayed and another 36 after clicking the more button. That's 57 total and we need more?
It's not so much the "more" factor, Mark...more like the "variety" thing!! But those ones above were mere suggestions, Mark...you be the final judge.

Thanks - JJ

Old 24 April 2006, 10:06 PM   #9
----

As we have posted a few times, keeping new posts bold until we have actually clicked on it would be the #1 thing for me. The way this works now is somewhat frustrating..........

Thanks for asking Mark.

Old 24 April 2006, 10:15 PM   #10
Mark
TRF Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
As we have posted a few times, keeping new posts bold until we have actually clicked on it would be the #1 thing for me. The way this works now is somewhat frustrating..........

Thanks for asking Mark.
Not sure if I understand. Right now that's how it works for me. Stays bold until I click on it. Can you explain alittle more.
Old 24 April 2006, 10:37 PM   #11
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Not sure if I understand. Right now that's how it works for me. Stays bold until I click on it. Can you explain alittle more.
I think what Al means is that if we stay logged in but don't open all New Posts, after a while, the ones we haven't opened get unbolded, so we don't know which one's we haven't read yet. In other words, the bold face times out after a while (I don't know how much time), so then you have to hit the "Today's Posts" button to see everything that's been posted for the day and try to remember which ones you haven't read yet.

I agree with that suggestion.

Also, the other suggestion I have is to make the PM storage bigger. 50 PM storage total is often not enough, especially for some of the bozos around here who like to PM people as though there were no tomorrow.

PM set to 100 for standard members. The other issue is being looked into. Mark

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 24 April 2006, 11:54 PM   #12
Atomic

Also, how about the ability to edit a title line after you hit 'post'. I find that you can't change it (say to fix a typo). Frustrating... but otherwise, like Al says, if you can make it so that a new topic only gets unbolded when you open it, not if you log on, don't read it, log off... log on later and find that it's no longer bold. Makes finding posts you haven't read in that session difficult.

Old 25 April 2006, 12:56 AM   #13
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Some of the other boards, leave cookies behind, with respect to various threads. They will change colour once you've read the particular thread.
I have the same issues. I like to read a few NEW POSTS, but when you leave or wait too long, all unread posts are no longer shown as new.
I think this is a catch 22 for this forum system, the other boards, you cannot show all unread posts, rather you need to scroll around to find the ones not yet read.

Member # 293
Old 25 April 2006, 01:02 AM   #14
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev

I just logged on and had two pages of NEW posts. I only opened up two threads and had to close out for a phone call. When I logged back on the NEW posts were gone with the exception of two which had entries posted between the time I logged off and came back on. Is there any way the posts can remain as NEW and in bold print until we click on them if there is any new post added to the thread that we have not viewed? Thanks
Old 25 April 2006, 11:42 AM   #15
Mark
TRF Founder

Look for my comments in your post. I am working on them all, so be patient.
Old 25 April 2006, 11:55 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Look for my comments in your post. I am working on them all, so be patient.
What can we all say, Mark......but a BIG THANK YOU, PAL!!!

Old 25 April 2006, 01:13 PM   #17
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your effort Mark, without it, we would not be able to enjoy this great place.

Member # 293
Old 25 April 2006, 01:28 PM   #18
C.J.
"TRF" Member

You're the MAN, Mark! Thank You
Old 25 April 2006, 06:50 PM   #19
mailman

Thanks mark. The post one os something I forgot to mention also.

Guys, how many other forum owners would do this? Probably none.

Cheers Mark
Old 25 April 2006, 09:46 PM   #20
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Thanks mark. The post one os something I forgot to mention also.

Guys, how many other forum owners would do this? Probably none.

Cheers Mark
I agree - certinly no rush on these, as I know you probably have an actual life outside this forum (unlike some members here............JJ).

Old 3 May 2006, 12:23 AM   #21
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Mark,

Is there a reason why you don't include the "basic" smileys among the ones that can be chosen from the window next to the text window? The ones I mean are the basic smile :) , wink ;) , and frown :( . This is the only forum I can think of that has smileys, but doesn't make those basic ones available.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 5 June 2006, 01:35 AM   #22
Mark
TRF Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

Thanks for asking Mark.
Might have found the fix for this. I need you feedback from this point on .... how is it working?

Fixed?
Not fixed?
Old 5 June 2006, 01:40 AM   #23
Mark
TRF Founder

Ok. here is how I understand it .....

We were using this feature by default:

Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. It was set for 900 seconds or 15 minutes.

This is what I am trying:

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely.
Old 6 June 2006, 01:56 AM   #24
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Mark I don't like the new format because if you post a reply and then click on "New Posts" your reply is missing. I much prefered the old format.

Member #10
Old 6 June 2006, 02:39 AM   #25
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

I do like ( so far) the fact that you don't need to keep changing pages when reading posts.
BUT, when I go back to old posts, I did like the fact I could pick a certain page & jump there.
So verdict is still out for me.

Member # 293
Old 6 June 2006, 04:21 AM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Sorry Mark...preferred the older format of having to click on "New Posts" each time to check out the posts. Now we have to click on "Quick Links" and then on "Today's Posts". Quite a pain.

Also notice that threads of ONE kind do NOT go over to page 2, 3, etc., but instead just carry on down the SAME page making the page very, very long. Wonder why?

Cheers - JJ

Old 6 June 2006, 10:34 AM   #27
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Sorry Mark...preferred the older format of having to click on "New Posts" each time to check out the posts. Now we have to click on "Quick Links" and then on "Today's Posts". Quite a pain.

Also notice that threads of ONE kind do NOT go over to page 2, 3, etc., but instead just carry on down the SAME page making the page very, very long. Wonder why?

Cheers - JJ
For your first part JJ, it's only one more step, and a quick one at that.

As far as the post being on the same page goes, it's a step saved and makes up for the quick link thing.

Now as far as marking all of the threads as read, I will have to try this out when I only have a few posts left to read tonight so I'll get back to you on this.
Old 6 June 2006, 11:47 AM   #28
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
Mark I don't like the new format because if you post a reply and then click on "New Posts" your reply is missing. I much prefered the old format.
In that respect I agree with you, Adrian. It's disconcerting to open a thread and then have it disappear when you close it.

The other problem I am finding is that the whole place is running very slowly. It seems to take forever to open a thread, to post a reply and then to return to New Posts.

Is this a server issue, Mark?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 6 June 2006, 12:09 PM   #29
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
I agree, Adrian. I've been trying to get use to that but, I just don't like it. If I want to go back and re read a post or add an after thought to a thread I've already open and left, it's gone. Although, I do like the one long page set up and the new heading of unread posts very much

Thanks for the effort, Mark I recall a few of us asking for a layout like this, me included. I guess this is a prime example of the old, Be careful what you wish for, saying
Old 6 June 2006, 12:13 PM   #30
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
The other problem I am finding is that the whole place is running very slowly. It seems to take forever to open a thread, to post a reply and then to return to New Posts.

Is this a server issue, Mark?
I'm finding things very slow and with my dial-up connection it's bad.

Member #10
Closed Thread