The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2024, 08:46 AM   #1
d4rkka0s
"TRF" Member

Micro scratches on new 2 tone Explorer

I recently got the call for a 2 tone explorer. Upon taking a look at the watch where there were no stickers, there were micro-scratches on the yellow gold of the bracelet and micro-scratches on the bezel. Is this common for yellow gold in general for new watches?

The SA did show me another 2 tone explorer the very same day and the second watch had the same problem. I have other rolex time pieces that are stainless steel and I don't recall seeing any micro-scratches at all. Am I just being really picky here or something is up?
d4rkka0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:00 AM   #2
SubDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Personally I have never seen micro scratches on a model at an AD, regardless of the material. Maybe it was an exhibition only piece that has been handled a lot?
SubDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 11:15 AM   #3
d4rkka0s
"TRF" Member

I was suspecting that may be the case too. However, I did notice that majority of the stickers are still there which indicates it is likely not an exhibition piece. But it sure seemed like it was handled a bit.
Old 10 May 2024, 11:19 AM   #4
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

You’ll cause more than “micro scratches” with one day of wear. Wouldn’t let it bother me if I were buying a new watch I really wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 May 2024, 12:06 PM   #5
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkka0s View Post
I recently got the call for a 2 tone explorer. Upon taking a look at the watch where there were no stickers, there were micro-scratches on the yellow gold of the bracelet and micro-scratches on the bezel. Is this common for yellow gold in general for new watches?

The SA did show me another 2 tone explorer the very same day and the second watch had the same problem. I have other rolex time pieces that are stainless steel and I don't recall seeing any micro-scratches at all. Am I just being really picky here or something is up?
Stainless steel is more scratch resistant than 18ct gold.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 12:42 PM   #6
d4rkka0s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
You’ll cause more than “micro scratches” with one day of wear. Wouldn’t let it bother me if I were buying a new watch I really wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand scratches are inevitable, but my watches have minimal scratches and ding as they are under a cuff. Hard to pull the trigger wit a brand new watch with micro-scratches equivalent of a 3 year old watch that I own.
Old 10 May 2024, 03:20 PM   #7
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:

So she had a spare in the back ehh?

Doesn't surprise me. "But..but...but .. We have literally nothing in the store to sell".

Regarding your post, if you breath too hard on yellow gold, it will micro scratch. I wouldn't sweat it.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 03:23 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I guess it’s an exhibition piece they are selling? Or, at least, one that’s been tried on a few times.

Still a “new” watch though.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 12:47 AM   #9
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

I know my AD just leaves the exhibition pieces fully stickered, until the 3 months goes by, then calls the lucky new owner, and sells the exhibition piece. Perhaps the Explorer lost some of its stickers, and what you are seeing is from the watch being handled. No worries . It will happen in a jiffy, anyway. Congrats. It’s a great looking watch, or did you turn it down?

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 12:51 AM   #10
racerx
"TRF" Member

I had the chance to see/try on one of these at an AD. Didn't look for scratches, but was not impressed with the reference and preferred the 114270 I was wearing.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:20 AM   #11
RolexDave68
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN

I enjoy a TT Sub daily. Micro scratches and swirls on the gold are inevitable and eventually blend in. For me it’s well loved and fully enjoyed. Get what you love and enjoy this journey
RolexDave68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:36 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Can you post a picture of these scratches so can give a more honest opinion.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 02:23 AM   #13
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

two tone oyster bracelets will be filled with micro scratches and swirls within a day of wearing the watch with long sleeves anyway. they get scratched by anything and everything, so it is normal to see that and it's completely unavoidable. jubilee bracelets do a much better job of hiding scratches and if they bother you then you should get something with a jubilee bracelet

with that said i would be annoyed if it was like that when i was picking it up brand new
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 04:59 AM   #14
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?!
It’s normal. The gold (and the 904 steel Rolex uses) is pretty darn soft. Handling a watch is enough to cause these “micro-scratches” you speak of. I wouldn’t be put off because of it, though.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 08:16 AM   #15
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Gold is very very very soft. Trust me, you’ll get a whole lot more scratches, micro and macro, the first day you wear it.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 09:38 AM   #16
d4rkka0s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I know my AD just leaves the exhibition pieces fully stickered, until the 3 months goes by, then calls the lucky new owner, and sells the exhibition piece. Perhaps the Explorer lost some of its stickers, and what you are seeing is from the watch being handled. No worries . It will happen in a jiffy, anyway. Congrats. It’s a great looking watch, or did you turn it down?

Kat

I turned it down. Just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger when looking at my own watch and comparing to theirs.
Old 11 May 2024, 10:02 AM   #17
d4rkka0s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Can you post a picture of these scratches so can give a more honest opinion.
I really wished I took pictures. But 1 had fingernail? or something that scratched the 3 o clock side of the bezel from turning the crown I believe. 1-2 hairline micro-scratches on the first 3 link of the bracelet on each side.
Old 11 May 2024, 10:04 AM   #18
d4rkka0s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
two tone oyster bracelets will be filled with micro scratches and swirls within a day of wearing the watch with long sleeves anyway. they get scratched by anything and everything, so it is normal to see that and it's completely unavoidable. jubilee bracelets do a much better job of hiding scratches and if they bother you then you should get something with a jubilee bracelet

with that said i would be annoyed if it was like that when i was picking it up brand new
Yeah. I agree as I have a DJ36 in jubilee and it is def. not as noticeable.
Old 11 May 2024, 01:13 PM   #19
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
I turned it down. Just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger when looking at my own watch and comparing to theirs.

Good for you. Wait for one that’s pristine. My TT Wimbledon was an exhibition piece, but fully stickered until I bought it. I checked it carefully, and it was fine.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:28 PM   #20
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Sorry you did not get your new watch, but you were right to decline it.
The TT pieces get scratches by looking at them too much. I agree, you should put the scratches on yourself while you enjoy wearing your watch.
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:50 PM   #21
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
With that reference, I probably would have waited for a pristine example, too. Good call.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 02:57 AM   #22
Lalo007
"TRF" Member

I own two tone Explorer. Mine had stickers and was brand new with no scratches at all. Three years later its my daily and never take it off. I play soccer, lift weights and go on hikes took it with me to Hawaii and got in the ocean, laid on the sand. The watch is still nice and shiny with no deep scratches or dings on the case. The gold does have some beautiful swirls from the time when I was in the ocean. You can see the patterns of the waves on the gold links and bezel. I absolutely love it and will keep it forever, I have some popular pieces but the Explorer is my favorite of them all.
Lalo007 is offline   Reply With Quote