The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 October 2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Gavica

Is it worth it to buy a Quartz Omega?

are battery changes expensive on omegas?

Would it be like buying a trash car and putting expensive rims on it?

what you guys think?
Gavica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
I would say buy whatever you like. If it's a quartz Omega, then get a Quartz. They are more accurate, and require less maintenance then an automatic. However, for the money, and for an extra couple hundred, I'd just assume get the Auto. To me, getting a well over $1-2,000+ watch having an Automatic is kinda one of my requirements. As for how much money the battery changes are, I honestly have no idea. I'm sure an Omega Quartz member will chime in here eventually.
On a side note, I was seriously considering an Omega Quartz (the new black "bond" watch) becuase it was signifiagantly cheaper then the watch I really wanted (a 45.5MM Plaent Ocean). However, after a LONG decition, I figured I might as well jut get the watch I've always wanted, otherwise if I don't I always be lusting over the other watch and not the one I currently have.
Good luck in you choice, but for me, I'd get the Automatic.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 04:22 AM   #3
jmsrolls
Banned

Omega makes good quartz watches and I have owned a few over the years. None were kept for very long as I could not justify having that much money invested in what I could buy from Casio or Timex for a lot less money.

If you want something that keeps accurate time with little maintenance, quartz is the way to go or you could just use your cell phone.

For me, a quartz watch is not a watch but an electronic gadget. It lacks the soul of a mechanical watch.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
For me quartz watches are for cheaper watches. If you buy from Touneau in or Watch Gear they have a life time battery repalcement policy.
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A quartz watch is a great purchase if you don't wear it frequently, are somewhat immobilized.. or simply like the trouble free ease and accuracy of one.

My elderly father is happy now with a Quartz Seamaster because he doesn't move around enough any more to keep an auto wound... My Mother in law also prefers a quartz because she changes to evening wear frequently, but her main watch is an Omega quartz.

Me, I've got a couple of quartz watches someplace........... I think the batteries are dead......
Old 15 October 2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
Omega makes good quartz watches and I have owned a few over the years. None were kept for very long as I could not justify having that much money invested in what I could buy from Casio or Timex for a lot less money.

If you want something that keeps accurate time with little maintenance, quartz is the way to go or you could just use your cell phone.

For me, a quartz watch is not a watch but an electronic gadget. It lacks the soul of a mechanical watch.

Fr. John†
But you could extend that argument with mechanical watches too - a Timex keeps better time. Remember that mechanical watches need servicing which is expensive. Every five years or so they need to be taken to pieces, cleaned, oiled, reassembled, regulated and pressure tested. Much more hassle than a battery. I often here that quartz watches have no soul but you can't say that about an X-33 or an Rolex Oyster Quartz which are incredible watches. Also, you can get thermo-compensated movements. Many differing designs and solutions but all designed to be accurate to seconds a year.There is a whole High-End Quartz (HEQ) fan base. I say choose your movement carefully and there's nothing wrong with quartz.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 09:32 AM   #7
wdrazek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
+1
wdrazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 10:16 AM   #8
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I have a quartz Rolex....
Nothing wrong with quartz!

I rather an auto but quartz has its proper time and place.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 11:47 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavica View Post
are battery changes expensive on omegas?

Would it be like buying a trash car and putting expensive rims on it?

what you guys think?
Quartz are fine until.....

1. It's time to change the battery. Fortunately, the new models have a 4 second jump indication on the second hand which tells the owner that he's got another month or so of battery power left.

2. When it's time to resell (resale on these models suck big time!!)

3. The expense incurred each time you get the battery changed. Besides the actual expense of the battery, the watchmaker will have to test the watch for waterproofness, possibly even change the caseback gasket. Labour in this case can sometimes cost as much as the material and parts used.

So, if you really want my honest opinion........quartz is NOT a good idea, unless it's a real cheap watch.

For the high-end watches, automatic is the best way to go.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 12:17 PM   #10
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I love quartz watches myself, and own several. To me, an auto is my preferred timepiece, but I love the scintillating accuracy of the quartz watch, and there are tons of cool models to choose from these days, covering the gamut of uses.

All that said, if I'm going to acquire a Swiss watch, Omega, Rolex, etc, I'm going to go ahead and get the automatic for however much more it costs. Seiko makes excellent quartz pieces (as does Citizen with their interesting Eco Drive movements), and I tend to look to them when shopping quartz watches.

I don't really buy the "soul" argument. I love the micro-mechanics and engineering of mechanical watches, but to me all watches are cool and to be cherished. How can you not love a watch that is accurate to 30 seconds a year?
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 12:52 PM   #11
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
I don't know about the Omega Quartz, but it's worth it to buy a Rolex quartz!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Wow, I've never seen a Day/Date Quartz version before . . . . interesting.
IMO, if I were to buy a Quartz watch, a TAG would be the most expensive one I'd get.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
It's a very personal choice. There are many here, myself included, that would agree that a quartz watch has no soul and that mechanical is the only way to go for a premium watch. But if money is a consideration and hassle free accuracy paramount, go for quartz.
Old 16 October 2009, 07:43 PM   #14
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
nope. not for a high end watch. IMHO.
good luck!.....(buy automatic)
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 08:19 PM   #15
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
I bought a quartz TT Omega (deville dress watch) for $600au..
I bought it because I felt like I needed a dress watch that I will only wear occasionally.

Is it worth it? depends on how much you are looking to buy it for; to me, $600au was very reasonable and was definitely 'worth it'
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote