The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2016, 09:00 AM   #1
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Big Papi to the Yankees and Yankee Fans

Love it!

We are going to miss David Ortiz in Boston, but I know some of you Yankees fans might appreciate this:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dav...ries-new-york/
Old 28 September 2016, 09:13 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Thanks for that Lifelong Yankee fan and I'll miss him. Ortiz is the best clutch hitter I've seen.
Old 28 September 2016, 09:13 AM   #3
THC

Watch: 16610M
Awesome indeed... Up there with Yaz as one of the best BoSox players ever
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 09:33 AM   #4
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Great read. I was never a Big Papi fan. No doubt an incredible ball player. A friend who is a sports reporter told me some negative things that biased my view. After reading that article my view has changed some. Thank you for sharing it. Always nice to get a more real life feel for who these guys are.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 10:09 AM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Love it!

We are going to miss David Ortiz in Boston, but I know some of you Yankees fans might appreciate this:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dav...ries-new-york/

Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 10:10 AM   #6
aekdb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
That was a great read. Thanks for sharing!
aekdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 10:30 AM   #7
Cru Jones

Thanks for sharing. But, it has to be said, that was a pretty sad attempt by Ortiz to elevate himself at the expense of Yankees fans.

Can't say I think he merits all the "farewell" attention, though he clearly thinks he does.

Between the PEDs, the seemingly annual whining over contracts and his over-rated one-dimensional play, I can't wait for Ortiz to be gone.

Yes, he is beloved by "Red Sox Nation", which is more an indictment of the poor selection of true legends to play for Boston than anything else. Those fans just wanted a "me too" moment after watching Jeter and Rivera, no matter how dramatically different the caliber of player or person they root for.

Just my two cents.... Hey, at least he's more tolerable than Schilling!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 10:50 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Thanks for sharing. But, it has to be said, that was a pretty sad attempt by Ortiz to elevate himself at the expense of Yankees fans.

Can't say I think he merits all the "farewell" attention, though he clearly thinks he does.

Between the PEDs, the seemingly annual whining over contracts and his over-rated one-dimensional play, I can't wait for Ortiz to be gone.

Yes, he is beloved by "Red Sox Nation", which is more an indictment of the poor selection of true legends to play for Boston than anything else. Those fans just wanted a "me too" moment after watching Jeter and Rivera, no matter how dramatically different the caliber of player or person they root for.

Buzzkill cru

Thanks for sharing. Never was a big papi fan but I did grow up watching the rivalry. I no longer watch baseball but for most of jeters career I did and saw some really great games.

PED scandals and most of my favorite players aging or being traded away had me losing interest. Failing to resign cano was my last straw. Was probably a smart move but he was the last guy I really enjoyed watching on the yanks.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 11:30 AM   #9
linesiders

Quote:

And there is always one ;)

Red Sox fans, for the most part, highly respected Jeter and Rivera (superb) but I am sure you can find a few Sox fans that will, ahem, frown somehow.
Old 28 September 2016, 03:55 PM   #10
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Buzzkill cru

Thanks for sharing. Never was a big papi fan but I did grow up watching the rivalry. I no longer watch baseball but for most of jeters career I did and saw some really great games.

PED scandals and most of my favorite players aging or being traded away had me losing interest. Failing to resign cano was my last straw. Was probably a smart move but he was the last guy I really enjoyed watching on the yanks.

I hear you, but I think the team had to turn the page and take a new direction, so I wasn't too upset to see Cano, his nice & easy swing and his hundreds of millions of guaranteed contract go to Seattle.

Looking forward, there seems to be a nice crop of kids coming up...Hopefully some good players and not just hype.

Quote:
And there is always one ;)

Red Sox fans, for the most part, highly respected Jeter and Rivera (superb) but I am sure you can find a few Sox fans that will, ahem, frown somehow.

That was kind of the point of my post.... One can't and one shouldn't expect the same level of respect for Ortiz as Jeter and Rivera. The latter two are inner circle first ballot Hall of Famers who humbly succeeded on baseball's biggest stage, while the former is a fringe Hall of Famer and PED user who is a lesser version of Mark McGwire skills-wise while being more of a prima donna at the same time.

Of course, if you were to ask Ortiz, I'm pretty sure he would say he's one-two with Ted Williams.

Ok, yes, Ortiz did have a knack for getting the big hit.
Old 28 September 2016, 10:19 PM   #11
linesiders

Quote:
That was kind of the point of my post.... One can't and one shouldn't expect the same level of respect for Ortiz as Jeter and Rivera. The latter two are inner circle first ballot Hall of Famers who humbly succeeded on baseball's biggest stage, while the former is a fringe Hall of Famer and PED user who is a lesser version of Mark McGwire skills-wise while being more of a prima donna at the same time.

Of course, if you were to ask Ortiz, I'm pretty sure he would say he's one-two with Ted Williams.

Ok, yes, Ortiz did have a knack for getting the big hit.
The not unusual Yankees Über Alles smugness from a few fans.
Old 29 September 2016, 12:28 AM   #12
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
The not unusual Yankees Über Alles smugness from a few fans.
Cru is a one trick pony when it comes to the Sox Yankees, you can set your clock to it!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 06:04 AM   #13
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Cru is a one trick pony when it comes to the Sox Yankees, you can set your clock to it!

In my defense, I have nothing but good things to say about Pedro!
Old 29 September 2016, 06:37 AM   #14
linesiders

Quote:
I know - I also gave myself an 80% probability of his chiming in on that thread ;)
Specifically I forgot his handle when I had that thought but was thinking the NewYorker Living in Paris

Quote:

In my defense, I have nothing but good things to say about Pedro!
I would still buy you a beer.
Old 29 September 2016, 01:45 PM   #15
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
I have no dog in this fight buy Yankees fans are just like Eagles fans. I've been to numerous games and a best friend from college played in the bigs for 3 seasons. He always said they were such scum while yelling racial slurs, talking about his wife, etc. He said he heard plenty of insults from other stadiums but nothing near ole Yankee stadium. My experiences were that fans were crude, obnoxious, and really quick to boo their own players. Sorry Yankee fans but it's the truth and you know it......
P.S.- I'm an Astros fan.....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 06:23 PM   #16
fmc000
Banned

Quote:

100% agree. Especially the "I can't wait for Ortiz to be gone" part.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2016, 12:14 AM   #17
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I used to be a huge baseball fan but don't follow much anymore. Regarding Ortiz and PEDs, the following article is more about Brady but also mentions Ortiz and the PED allegations. Food for thought....

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/tom-brady-is-innocent/
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2016, 06:21 AM   #18
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I used to be a huge baseball fan but don't follow much anymore. Regarding Ortiz and PEDs, the following article is more about Brady but also mentions Ortiz and the PED allegations. Food for thought....

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/tom-brady-is-innocent/
Look you'll find no bigger supporter of Massachusetts teams than me but even I know this article is pure partisanship fueled by conjecture. Ortiz isn't a victim here, no baseball players are victims or "caught-up" in BALCO. Over the counter, under the counter does not matter, a cheat is a cheat. That said a fan of one team pointing a finger at that player of another and calling them out for this cheating is hypocritical IMHO. They ALL cheated some got caught, some didn't and others are simply guilty by association and nothing more but the late 80 through early 00's are tainted years, plain and simple.

As for his BS about Brady, all you have to do is read his thoughts on Spygate to know this clown doesn't know anything about it and as a result, his conclusions are really suppositions and completely suspect. Again JMHO
Old 30 September 2016, 11:27 AM   #19
warrior
"TRF" Member

As I said, I'm not a big baseball fan and I guess I'll defer to you regarding Ortiz and his cheating. But, I like proof ( whether it was Ortiz or anyone else) that it was knowingly done, especially when the man's reputation has been tarnished. And quite frankly, I dislike the "holier than thou group think attitude" of many arm chair fans who salivate at criticizing sports figures simply at the mention of cheating allegations.

The author's spy gate reference was weird...but What was the "BS "about Brady? I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say? I have yet to see any convincing proof that Brady wanted/directed a scheme to deflate under the 12.5 limit. Hell...he could have. But I have not seen any proof...other than the reaching of fans outside of New England... many that don't have enough of the facts.

Is Posnaski obviously "partisan" because he disagrees with you? I don't know...is he a huge Boston/New England fan? Is he a Boston sportswriter? I actually liked the fact that the author mentioned "nuance" in his article...because I wholeheartedly agree that nuance is lacking in many fans' yahoo/knee jerk responses to cheating. Perhaps it's human nature, I don't know.

Quote:
Look you'll find no bigger supporter of Massachusetts teams than me but even I know this article is pure partisanship fueled by conjecture. Ortiz isn't a victim here, no baseball players are victims or "caught-up" in BALCO. Over the counter, under the counter does not matter, a cheat is a cheat. That said a fan of one team pointing a finger at that player of another and calling them out for this cheating is hypocritical IMHO. They ALL cheated some got caught, some didn't and others are simply guilty by association and nothing more but the late 80 through early 00's are tainted years, plain and simple.

As for his BS about Brady, all you have to do is read his thoughts on Spygate to know this clown doesn't know anything about it and as a result, his conclusions are really suppositions and completely suspect. Again JMHO
Old 30 September 2016, 08:48 PM   #20
Cru Jones

SWEEP!!!

And a great line by which to remember Ortiz's final 3 games at Yankee Stadium:

AB...R...H...RBI...BB...SO

Old 30 September 2016, 09:14 PM   #21
linesiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
I have no dog in this fight buy Yankees fans are just like Eagles fans. I've been to numerous games and a best friend from college played in the bigs for 3 seasons. He always said they were such scum while yelling racial slurs, talking about his wife, etc. He said he heard plenty of insults from other stadiums but nothing near ole Yankee stadium. My experiences were that fans were crude, obnoxious, and really quick to boo their own players. Sorry Yankee fans but it's the truth and you know it......
P.S.- I'm an Astros fan.....
I think all teams have fans that fit that theme as I have seen it in several ball parks. But yes there is a reason it is called the Bronx Cheer.

Quote:
SWEEP!!!

And a great line by which to remember Ortiz's final 3 games at Yankee Stadium:

AB...R...H...RBI...BB...SO

I know - odd that the Yanks are playing better now that it doesn't matter. Maybe if they did not get swept 4 games twice in Boston they'd have a shot.
Fortunately for us, The Ortiz Farewell Tour continues in the Playoffs, rather than the Links where the Yankees will be.
Old 1 October 2016, 03:42 AM   #22
wantonebad

Quote:
As I said, I'm not a big baseball fan and I guess I'll defer to you regarding Ortiz and his cheating. But, I like proof ( whether it was Ortiz or anyone else) that it was knowingly done, especially when the man's reputation has been tarnished. And quite frankly, I dislike the "holier than thou group think attitude" of many arm chair fans who salivate at criticizing sports figures simply at the mention of cheating allegations.

The author's spy gate reference was weird...but What was the "BS "about Brady? I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say? I have yet to see any convincing proof that Brady wanted/directed a scheme to deflate under the 12.5 limit. Hell...he could have. But I have not seen any proof...other than the reaching of fans outside of New England... many that don't have enough of the facts.

Is Posnaski obviously "partisan" because he disagrees with you? I don't know...is he a huge Boston/New England fan? Is he a Boston sportswriter? I actually liked the fact that the author mentioned "nuance" in his article...because I wholeheartedly agree that nuance is lacking in many fans' yahoo/knee jerk responses to cheating. Perhaps it's human nature, I don't know.
Yeah you got it, partisan = disagreeing with me, that's just what I meant, it's a silly article in my opinion and a tiresome subject.
Old 1 October 2016, 04:16 AM   #23
warrior
"TRF" Member

Sarcasm doesn't make what the content of what you said correct. We're going to have to disagree here. I don't think it's a silly article at all. Saying something is "conjecture fueled by partisanship" doesn't make it so. The writer is a national sports columnist.

As I intimated, I really have trouble with the self righteous knee jerk reactions of fans when it comes to cheating allegations. I think the article provides a nice counterpoint to "internet" experts quick to judge.

Quote:
Yeah you got it, partisan = disagreeing with me, that's just what I meant, it's a silly article in my opinion and a tiresome subject.
Old 1 October 2016, 04:30 AM   #24
wantonebad

Quote:
Sarcasm doesn't make what the content of what you said correct. We're going to have to disagree here. I don't think it's a silly article at all. Saying something is "conjecture fueled by partisanship" doesn't make it so. The writer is a national sports columnist.

As I intimated, I really have trouble with the self righteous knee jerk reactions of fans when it comes to cheating allegations. I think the article provides a nice counterpoint to "internet" experts quick to judge.
Who cares what you have a problem with, seriously??!! You pointing out it's a national columnist means NOTHING on it's face. If I have an opinion about a poorly written article that makes leaps and jumps with zero proof and call it CONJECTURE that's my opinion, I don't have to PROVE that it's my opinion to you do I. I'll assure you it is in fact my opinion. This was a post about Ortiz, you posted a really silly article about Deflategate with a mention of Ortiz that was clearly pandering to the butt-hurt-psyche of NE fans who can't get out of their own way when it comes to admitting at least a little culpability in deflate gate and in Ortiz's PED tests.

Look it's really simple in sports these days, you are guilty until proven innocent. I feel that way through and through, you don't, that's fine. But stop telling me I have no right to MY opinion, it's insulting and anger inducing.
Old 1 October 2016, 04:37 AM   #25
warrior
"TRF" Member

You can have your opinion and I'll certainly have mine; I'm not a guilty until proven innocent guy, that's for sure.
Quote:
Who cares what you have a problem with, seriously??!! You pointing out it's a national columnist means NOTHING on it's face. If I have an opinion about a poorly written article that makes leaps and jumps with zero proof and call it CONJECTURE that's my opinion, I don't have to PROVE that it's my opinion to you do I. I'll assure you it is in fact my opinion. This was a post about Ortiz, you posted a really silly article about Deflategate with a mention of Ortiz that was clearly pandering to the butt-hurt-psyche of NE fans who can't get out of their own way when it comes to admitting at least a little culpability in deflate gate and in Ortiz's PED tests.

Look it's really simple in sports these days, you are guilty until proven innocent. I feel that way through and through, you don't, that's fine. But stop telling me I have no right to MY opinion, it's insulting and anger inducing.
Old 1 October 2016, 01:58 PM   #26
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
I'm not a baseball fan but that was great.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:43 PM   #27
Cru Jones

Old 11 October 2016, 02:49 PM   #28
fmc000
Banned

Old 11 October 2016, 11:44 PM   #29
linesiders

Quote:
Yes - that sucked, ya know, making the playoffs and then getting swept. Maybe just as bad was all the good Tee times were already sucked up by the Yankees players at the Links.
Old 12 October 2016, 01:22 AM   #30
fmc000
Banned

Actually the Yankees had already made up their mind on not making the playoffs, letting some of their best players go. The Red Sox actually believed they were good LOL.