The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 December 2011, 03:37 AM   #1
Eric88
"TRF" Member

42mm Explorer II on small wrists 6.5" or less?

I've been considering this watch since learning about it. I have small wrists at 6.5" or smaller and I've found that some watches overwhelm me. I have not been able to find the new Explorer II locally, so curious if any forum members with small wrists are wearing one? Any feedback on wrist presence, weight, comfort? Pictures always appreciated. Thanks!
Eric88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 03:43 AM   #2
InTime
Banned

shouldnt be a problem unless the width of your wrist is smaller than say 1.9 inches.

when you look at it from 13 inches ( checking your watch for time ) it should look pretty normal and you get used to it.

pretty subjective. george clooney was lugging around a 45.5 and over 70% of the people said it look ok. if you are young you can pull off a 42mm easy.
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 04:42 AM   #3
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTime View Post
shouldnt be a problem unless the width of your wrist is smaller than say 1.9 inches.

when you look at it from 13 inches ( checking your watch for time ) it should look pretty normal and you get used to it.

pretty subjective. george clooney was lugging around a 45.5 and over 70% of the people said it look ok. if you are young you can pull off a 42mm easy.
Thanks, I might give it a try to make myself feel younger. If years were mm, I'd be just shy of the new Explorer II.
Eric88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 06:27 AM   #4
InTime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
Thanks, I might give it a try to make myself feel younger. If years were mm, I'd be just shy of the new Explorer II.

ahhh yes, look young, maybe thats how clooney gets those attractive ladies...

the 42mm on mike looks perfect to me, but its subjective and is like wine, takes time to appreciate it i suppose.

dont think i can wear anything under 42mm anymore of course i dont mind wearing nice timeless classics that are under 42 once in a while for special occasions.
Old 3 December 2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Engi
"TRF" Member

IMO the new 42mm ExpII is way too large for a 6.5" wrist or smaller.

I tried one on (I've a 6.5" wrist) and it seemd like having a pizza on my arm ...

Ciao

Engi
Engi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 12:16 PM   #6
jmsrolls
Banned

Eric,

My wrist is 7 1/2 inches but round. A round wrist means that thick watches do not work for me and any watch over 38mm can wear very large.

As you know, I loved my 40mm (actually 39mm) EXPII but the black wore small. I find that white dialed watches always wear larger and for that reason, I had reservations about going with the white 42mm version but went with it anyway:

IMO it does wear large but quite comfortably. Like the smaller 40mm, I love the way the case rests on my wrist and the new bracelet/clasp combo is superb. It's great to have an EXPII back on my wrist.

My suggestion to you would be try the black and if you can make the bracelet fit, go for it.

(And yes, the crown is screwed out in the photo.)

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 11:09 PM   #7
sportsmaven20
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engi View Post
IMO the new 42mm ExpII is way too large for a 6.5" wrist or smaller.

I tried one on (I've a 6.5" wrist) and it seemd like having a pizza on my arm ...

Ciao

Engi
I have a 7" wrist and I had the same experience, so I flipped my 215670. Many prefer the larger watch look which is completely fine for some and not for others...if you like it and feel comfortable with the size, go for it!
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 04:11 AM   #8
MikeJaye

Personally I found it just a little too big for my 6.5inch wrists, that's why I sold mine after a couple of weeks. See pic below:

MikeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 05:37 AM   #9
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to narrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaye View Post
Personally I found it just a little too big for my 6.5inch wrists, that's why I sold mine after a couple of weeks. See pic below:

Wow I actually think it fits your wrist perfectly!
Spikedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 05:40 AM   #10
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedlee View Post
me too. MikeJaye it looked good. sorry it didnt work for you.

i think i know what you are saying though the watch is all dial. from lug to lug i think it measures 49mm?
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 05:25 PM   #11
MikeJaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
me too. MikeJaye it looked good. sorry it didnt work for you.

i think i know what you are saying though the watch is all dial. from lug to lug i think it measures 49mm?
I dunno, in my eyes its just a tiny bit too big. Probably has more to do with the large dial as the DSSD I used to own seemed to fit quite well (apart from the height of it).

I also own a Sub LVc, Milaguss GV & 39mm Exp II so I suppose I'm just used to the smaller sports models.
MikeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 06:35 PM   #12
roger0770
Banned

Watch: A Few
honestly, i think the 42mm looks good with a 7 and 7+ inch sized wrist. though it's only 42mm, but the overall presence is a lot larger because its bracelet. a watch looks smaller if it's on straps.
roger0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2011, 09:11 AM   #13
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
I dunno, in my eyes its just a tiny bit too big. Probably has more to do with the large dial as the DSSD I used to own seemed to fit quite well (apart from the height of it).

I also own a Sub LVc, Milaguss GV & 39mm Exp II so I suppose I'm just used to the smaller sports models.
all great pieces. the sizing thing can play major tricks on all of us. I really like the exp 2 but i think that my subc fits me better.

thanks for sharing your experience though.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 02:06 AM   #14
larsd4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedlee View Post
Watch seems to ride too close to your hand for me. I like to wear it above the wrist bone to avoid jamming the crown into the back of the hand when flexing it back. (revving a motorcycle movement). Might be just my anatomy.
larsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2011, 09:04 AM   #15
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Quote:

Shrug, I think that looks great on you.
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2011, 10:28 PM   #16
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
Shrug, I think that looks great on you.
For a big watch ;-)

Personally I think the 42mm is too big (I'm 6.8" or so). For a 6.5 IMO the 'old' ExpII is bang on.

Personally I don't like the latest ExpII - when compared to the old one. I'm generally a fan of the newer 'beefier' Rolexes compared to their forefathers, but not in the case of the Exp - the hands, indices etc are too bold/big - lack finesse - IMO.

Just goes to show how some like 'em big. I like 'em just right
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2011, 12:09 PM   #17
W-S Tiger

Looks great...going to sell my dj2- white dial and pick up an explorer 2
W-S Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 04:21 AM   #18
InTime
Banned

what did u end up getting?
Old 3 December 2011, 04:30 AM   #19
OysterDavid
Banned

As a sufferer of chronic small wrist syndrome, I've always felt that the test is to see where the lug ends end up on my wrist. If the lug ends overhang and the bracelet angles on down, that's it for me and my 6.5" wrist. The true width of the watch isn't as important to me as those lug ends.

But having worn a 38mm sport watch for awhile, I also admit that once on my wrist, the eye adjusts to acceptance and often, my perception of what's too large changes after wearing the piece for a time.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 04:38 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have yet to try one on but if it is anything like the Sub C, it probably won't work for me as well with my 6.25" wrist.

My Seamaster comes just to the edge of my wrists but it wears very flat so it seems to work.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2011, 12:23 AM   #21
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
As a sufferer of chronic small wrist syndrome, I've always felt that the test is to see where the lug ends end up on my wrist. If the lug ends overhang and the bracelet angles on down, that's it for me and my 6.5" wrist. The true width of the watch isn't as important to me as those lug ends.

But having worn a 38mm sport watch for awhile, I also admit that once on my wrist, the eye adjusts to acceptance and often, my perception of what's too large changes after wearing the piece for a time.
6.5mm wrists are not really "small". I suspect most non-large guys have 6.5mm wrists, and 42mm watches are fine. Besides, the roundness of your wrist vs the flatness of the top of your wrist (the part that shows with a watch) is much more important than the 6.5 measurement. If you want a larger watch, I'd ignore wrist measurements and just wear the watch you like.

Speedy Pro's are a pretty big seller in Asia, and I bet some of those folks have smaller wrists-- and do just fine with the 42mm Speedy. Also, the view you have looking at the watch on your wrist is not the same view that others have of the watch you're wearing. I've always thought that looking at the watch on your wrist makes it appear larger vs your wrist.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 05:27 AM   #22
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
6.3 inch, flat wrist here. I admit, I haven't yet tried on the Exp II 42mm, but I owned and sold a few big watches already (like Omega Planet Ocean 42mm, Breitling B-1 44mm) due to their size and heft. When wearing my Sub-C, and trying on other 40mm Rolex watches I always feel that's the biggest size watch I can and want to wear. I'm 100% sure the Exp II 42mm would be too big for me.
Old 3 December 2011, 05:39 AM   #23
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Looks fine, what is the worry. Loads of people are wearing oversize watches.
Old 3 December 2011, 01:30 PM   #24
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
^ Looks great on your wrist.
henrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 01:47 PM   #25
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
It is all personal preference. I am fine with 44mm and I have about a 6.5 inch wrist... Go with what you like but I do not see a problem
Old 3 December 2011, 02:23 PM   #26
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i have 6.5 inch wrist. but i have flat rectangular wrists. i can wear a 44mm pam nicely. but i think this is possible because the lugs are square. exp2 42mm will be smaller but the lugs are more protruded. if the face of the watch takes over your entire wrist surface thats not good. i have tried on the PO XL and the IWC big pilot and made me throw up a little. very difficult for us skinny people. but 40mm is the best size really.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 02:28 PM   #27
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
IMO I think the 42mm EXP II will be too big for a 6 1/2 wrist. I have a 7 1/4 wrist & sometimes I think my 42mm seiko diver looks too big on me maybe it's just the high bezel that makes it look bigger than it actually is.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2011, 02:17 AM   #28
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Exp42 on my 6.75" wrist.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2011, 04:10 AM   #29
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
It's the case length for me.
What is the case length of the new explorer 2(measured lug to lug)????
48mm is max for my somewhere around 6.75" watch wearing wrist.
Old 4 December 2011, 05:35 AM   #30
Swegin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
I think a lot of it has to do with what another poster mentioned, which is whether your wrist is round or flat.
In my case my wrist is just shy of 7" but flat and i think the new E2 fits and wears absolutely great.
It is really a stunning piece.
Cheers
Swegin is offline   Reply With Quote