The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 April 2024, 12:02 PM   #31
APhound
"TRF" Member

Would this be safe to wear in Europe? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 12:17 PM   #32
dlmocdm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Would this be safe to wear in Europe? Asking for a friend.

dlmocdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 04:18 PM   #33
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Stunning piece, love it.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:42 AM   #34
eggonawindow
"TRF" Member

Accidentally typed the wrong reference. The fact that you knew which reference I was actually talking about proves my point that true connoisseurs know this is an a + b = c watch. As far as the interior angles - sure there’s a few. But regardless I think we can agree it’s nowhere near good enough.
As an aside, pateks recent price increases and increased margin should be reinvested in finishing and movement quality.
Let me ask you this ? If you are so confident in the superiority of Pateks minute repeaters, why did you not buy one when given the chance?

Eggonawindow
eggonawindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:57 AM   #35
eggonawindow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
It's 5178G, not 5168G. The small difference of 10 made a world of difference.
You decided to buy a three hander instead of a minute repeater. That tells me everything I have to know about your knowledge and taste in watches. Despite my constructive criticism over this Only Watch piece, choosing a 3 hander over a Patek minute repeater is about as disrespectful as it gets to Patek (despite the whole , ‘my wallet my choice’). Patek’s minute repeaters are currently amongst greatest watches in the world and deserve to be critiqued with that in mind

Eggonawindow
Old 25 April 2024, 04:39 AM   #36
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggonawindow View Post
You decided to buy a three hander instead of a minute repeater. That tells me everything I have to know about your knowledge and taste in watches. Despite my constructive criticism over this Only Watch piece, choosing a 3 hander over a Patek minute repeater is about as disrespectful as it gets to Patek (despite the whole , ‘my wallet my choice’). Patek’s minute repeaters are currently amongst greatest watches in the world and deserve to be critiqued with that in mind

Eggonawindow
Are you trolling? You sound like you're trolling.

Are you really saying not buying a MR is "about as disrespectful as it gets" but suggesting that Patek "spent five minutes" on the 6301A is "constructive" criticism? Really?

Of course Patek combined elements of different models into the 6301A. A new case material and dial is pretty normal for a Watches and Wonders submission.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 05:27 AM   #37
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
The usual hater "group's" favourite topics are lack of innovation, lack of water resistance, lack of finishing, too expensive (at same price you can get many G-Shocks), older Pateks are better, lack of 10-year warranty and not safe to wear on the streets.
haha i like that! you surely also know what the favorite topics of PP cheerleaders are.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 05:37 AM   #38
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Such a fantastic watch.
Old 25 April 2024, 09:34 AM   #39
eggonawindow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post
Are you trolling? You sound like you're trolling.

Are you really saying not buying a MR is "about as disrespectful as it gets" but suggesting that Patek "spent five minutes" on the 6301A is "constructive" criticism? Really?

Of course Patek combined elements of different models into the 6301A. A new case material and dial is pretty normal for a Watches and Wonders submission.
Yes indeed I am because the gentleman in question is buying a 3 hander for 20% more money than a MR. We all know the 3 hander in question is Phillipe Dufour Simplicity.
Why buy a Phillipe dufour time only over a Patek minute repeater? It’s evident reasons such as hand finishing (hand done guilloche dials, handworked anglage) come into play because a minute repeater is leagues above a 3 hander. Yet when I mention those factors, he suddenly doesn’t care about them.
Dont get me wrong , I love Patek minute repeaters. In fact, the 6301P is my favourite. Hence why I criticise the 6301A because I feel that there is 0 innovation in neither the dial nor the movement .
Whats ironic is the 6301P is a play on Phillipe Dufours grande and petite sonnerie. I would advise you and the gentleman in question to read up about them (there are only 8 in the world). Then come back to me and tell me how good the 6301A is.
You know what I think should’ve been released as a unique piece? A version of the 5308P. What a watch. That is Patek at its best - split seconds perpetual calendar chronograph minute repeater . Not copying dufours designs and changing dials .
Why did Patek not invent the grand and petite sonnerie? It could’ve . Now it has the opportunity to go further with a 3rd sonnerie for minute chimes.

Eggonawindow
Old 25 April 2024, 09:43 AM   #40
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes indeed I am because the gentleman in question is buying a 3 hander for 20% more money than a MR. We all know the 3 hander in question is Phillipe Dufour Simplicity.
Why buy a Phillipe dufour time only over a Patek minute repeater? It’s evident reasons such as hand finishing (hand done guilloche dials, handworked anglage) come into play because a minute repeater is leagues above a 3 hander. Yet when I mention those factors, he suddenly doesn’t care about them.
Dont get me wrong , I love Patek minute repeaters. In fact, the 6301P is my favourite. Hence why I criticise the 6301A because I feel that there is 0 innovation in neither the dial nor the movement .
Whats ironic is the 6301P is a play on Phillipe Dufours grande and petite sonnerie. I would advise you and the gentleman in question to read up about them (there are only 8 in the world). Then come back to me and tell me how good the 6301A is.
You know what I think should’ve been released as a unique piece? A version of the 5308P. What a watch. That is Patek at its best - split seconds perpetual calendar chronograph minute repeater . Not copying dufours designs and changing dials .
Why did Patek not invent the grand and petite sonnerie? It could’ve . Now it has the opportunity to go further with a 3rd sonnerie for minute chimes.

Eggonawindow
If Patek came back with a one off 5308, I somehow suspect you would be complaining that this release is too similar to what Patek did in 2017 when it offered the 5208T--which had the same movement at the 5208P--just with a different dial and titanium case.
Old 25 April 2024, 10:01 AM   #41
eggonawindow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If Patek came back with a one off 5308, I somehow suspect you would be complaining that this release is too similar to what Patek did in 2017 when it offered the 5208T--which had the same movement at the 5208P--just with a different dial and titanium case.
Whataboutery. You had nothing to say against my (objectively and subjectively) correct post.
Time to swallow your pride and see the world as it really is
Old 25 April 2024, 10:10 AM   #42
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whataboutery. You had nothing to say against my (objectively and subjectively) correct post.
Time to swallow your pride and see the world as it really is
And I'm now even more confident you're trolling. You say Patek should have released a version of the 5308P. Fine. What's a version if not a different dial and case?

Did you or did you not approve of the 5208T when it was "just" a different version of the 5208P with "only" a different dial and case material? "Zero innovation" as you would put it.
Old 25 April 2024, 11:16 AM   #43
eggonawindow
"TRF" Member

I’m not trolling, the 5208P and 5308Ps have in house produced movements that are unique to Pateks DNA. The 6301A has a movement copied off Phillipe Dufour with half of the finishing quality . I’m not sure what your point here is .
Old 25 April 2024, 11:46 AM   #44
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
I corrected an information you posted wrongly and in return I get these personal attacks on my taste.

Quote:
I just learnt from your post above that I have bought a Simplicity. Tell me more about me please?

Quote:
The 6301A has a movement copied off Phillipe Dufour with half of the finishing quality.

Fair enough, I will go and "read" more about the 5168G.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:50 AM   #45
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not trolling, the 5208P and 5308Ps have in house produced movements that are unique to Pateks DNA. The 6301A has a movement copied off Phillipe Dufour with half of the finishing quality . I’m not sure what your point here is .
You posted earlier in the thread that the 6301P is your favorite minute repeater.

Now you malign it as watch with a copied movement.

You’re clearly just spouting off to be contrary. If you’re going to spout off, at least be consistent.
Old 25 April 2024, 02:07 PM   #46
eggonawindow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You posted earlier in the thread that the 6301P is your favorite minute repeater.

Now you malign it as watch with a copied movement.

You’re clearly just spouting off to be contrary. If you’re going to spout off, at least be consistent.
Ok fair enough, I’ll go work on myself.
Until next time,

Eggonawindow
Old 26 April 2024, 09:00 AM   #47
dynamograph
"TRF" Member

The 6301 isn't just a minute repeater; it is a clockwatch with a trip minute repeater.

Clockwatches chime under their own in power in passing, think of it as a very small grandfather clock. To do this they normally have a second barrel and train just for the strikes.
- In “grande sonnerie” mode it strikes the hours on the hours and the hours + quarters on the quarters.
- In “petite sonnerie” mode strikes the hours on the hours and only the quarters on the quarters.
- In "silence" mode it doesn't chime
- A trip repeater chimes the time on demand without needing to charge a slide

The 6301 is Patek's second most complicated wristwatch, behind the 5175 & 6300--it takes more effort to make one of these movements than it does the movement for a sky-moon-tourbillon.
dynamograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 09:52 AM   #48
dynamograph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, the movement in the 6301 has nothing to do with Dufour's grande sonneries.

Dufour used a late 18th century vallee de joux design, while the movement in the 6301 was designed by Patek for the grandmaster chime.
dynamograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 10:45 AM   #49
bob101
"TRF" Member

It is a beautifully finished piece but a piece unique for a charity auction.
We don’t all need to like every release from Patek and every watch they design isn’t for everyone of course. Some modern pieces won’t please the traditionalist and vice versa. There will be fan boys who “love” everything Patek release to keep their ADs happy and then more cynical folk who say the good old days of Patek have come and gone. The reality is probably somewhere in between.
It’s clear the last few years of their production releases have been largely uninspiring.

What would be nice would be with the ever higher and higher pieces they are charging for like the likes of 5226, 6119 calatrava and mid tier complications such as 5396, 5205,5326g, we see some of these traditional techniques and beautiful finishing back in at production level not just top tier one off pieces.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 05:59 PM   #50
RRJ
"TRF" Member

That's one wild thread lol.

I love the piece. It just makes me wish for more handfinishing on the "cheaper" Patek models. This watch proves that they absolutely still do have the know-how to finish like some of the best in the business. Why not show us more of that :)?
RRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 07:34 PM   #51
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Eggonawindow

What do you mean?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 02:29 AM   #52
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

I love it
However the ‘Only One’ shouldn’t be the dial and display back
Jb1264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 03:07 AM   #53
dauster
"TRF" Member

Do you guys think these guys worry as much about the only watch release ?? and they can actually buy it ;)

dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 08:49 AM   #54
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Do you guys think these guys worry as much about the only watch release ?? and they can actually buy it ;)

Oh right, I forgot all about Patek’s Brand Ambassadors.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 03:01 PM   #55
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Patek has priced its Only Watch to obtain top dog media status but it has been pipped at the horological post by the Les Cabinotiers Berkley Grand Complication.

Let’s hope the proceeds go to a good cause. Well done Patek on its generosity.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 12:13 AM   #56
Encepholopod
Banned

Watch: 5712/1R
I feel Patek gave their best of everything on this piece. The dial color is rich and the pattern is subtly alluring. The exhibition in this case back is flawless, huge fan of this new release. The only 2 recent release's I feel that can compete with the new VC releases are this beauty and the new Duometre Heliotourbillon Perpetual.
Encepholopod is offline   Reply With Quote