The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2022, 04:03 AM   #1
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Finally damaged the Pelagos

After nearly 8 years of abuse, my beater has lost a tooth. It served 4 years of hard wear as my only watch, went through thousands of miles on mountain bikes and hiking, went to work every day in hospitals until covid hit, through a diy house remodel, then finally relinquished to “rough” wear in 2018 when I added a DSSD. The irony of this is I’ve been wearing an Apple Watch or CasiOak to work since March 2020, today is the FIRST day I wore the Pelagos back to work, and 2 hours into the day, the lume bar was gone.

It will be a well deserved trip to RSC, the power reserve has been slowly declining for years as well but not enough to bother me on its own. Anyone know if they’ll ding me for a whole bezel or just replace the lume marker? I’ve seen this problem mentioned before on here, anyone remember how much the repair ran?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:06 AM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Great to see tool watches being used to their full capabilities. Should be all better after a trip to the spa (RSC).

SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:16 AM   #3
Coronette
"TRF" Member

This!! Is why you need the clear auto bra type of bezel protector. This guy makes them for all Rolex and Tudor models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17459276672...4AAOSwoWdf~SvU
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 807A76FC-B6E3-41C5-BFCA-294A99AE727D.jpeg (131.2 KB, 1968 views)
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:37 AM   #4
slus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
Why you need the clear auto bra type of bezel protector. This guy makes them for all Rolex and Tudor models.

I think I'd be more worried the adhesive would pull all the lume bars out when removed, since this is apparently somewhat of a problem with the Pelagos. I assume the clear bra material isn't as durable as the ceramic bezel itself and would get gouged up and need to be replaced from time to time? It looks really nice on your GMT, maybe adds a bit of shine to it, which looks great on yours.

Maybe RSC needs some gorilla glue and a tray of extra lume bars. If I could find the lost lume, that's what I would do I walked a mile or so through the hallways and taken off at least 20 pairs of gloves by the time I noticed it was gone, I haven't even looked for it. It's probably in a trashcan or linen bin somewhere.
Old 25 February 2022, 04:38 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why you need the clear auto bra type of bezel protector. This guy makes them for all Rolex and Tudor models.

Ummmmm no
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:50 AM   #6
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
This!! Is why you need the clear auto bra type of bezel protector. This guy makes them for all Rolex and Tudor models.

Lol, got slip covers over the couch too!?

OP, I have 2 liner from the first batch released. Still haven’t seen any issues and hoping you have an isolated issue that Rolex will fix without charging for a new bezel. Good luck.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:21 AM   #7
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Had that happen to mine too. Rolex replaced it under warranty. Known issue - you may get lucky and have the replace it.
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:22 AM   #8
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
they replace the whole bezel insert BTW
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:46 AM   #9
ArtieFufkinPolymer
"TRF" Member

A dollop of liquid paper / white out should fix that problem
ArtieFufkinPolymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 07:21 AM   #10
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Looks pretty good for all the years of beating on it. Love that watch.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 07:22 AM   #11
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol this is so dumb
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 08:06 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Can't answer the question but would rather have that happen to the bezel than lug damage or any hits to the case.

Just sent my THC to RSC for a service after 11 years of ownership. Hope we both get them back soon!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 08:08 AM   #13
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Lol, got slip covers over the couch too!?

OP, I have 2 liner from the first batch released. Still haven’t seen any issues and hoping you have an isolated issue that Rolex will fix without charging for a new bezel. Good luck.
LOL, My watch not yours!
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 09:43 AM   #14
slus
"TRF" Member

Finally damaged the Pelagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post
Had that happen to mine too. Rolex replaced it under warranty. Known issue - you may get lucky and have the replace it.

Thanks. I wouldn't expect them to replace it for free, but it would be awesome if they did. I'm well out of the warranty and due for a service anyway, maybe they'll toss in a bezel for me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Looks pretty good for all the years of beating on it. Love that watch.

I definitely can't complain about the durability and other than the ultra brushed (scratched) finish of the clasp and bracelet, it still looks pretty good and keeps great time. The declining power reserve has been the only issue up until now.

I think I'm going to have RSC do the full brush (I guess they probably can't call it a polish on the full brushed Pelagos?) on it while it's in for service, but I'll probably miss it looking a little beat up.

Old 25 February 2022, 10:38 AM   #15
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

It's a hard knock life... Awesome!
I love seeing tools being used as designed. I get the same warm and fuzzy feeling when I see high-end performance cars with hints of being tracked.
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 09:30 PM   #16
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
glued marker on a 3k watch not acceptable to me
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 10:06 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
They will replace the bezel and give it a service and you will be back for another 11 years. Great watch and it is nice that you have gotten all types of wear from it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 10:08 PM   #18
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Tipp-ex is your friend.
Old 26 February 2022, 01:01 AM   #19
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Let us know how you go with RSC. I've heard they don't offer refinishing on the Pelagos since it's titanium.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 03:39 AM   #20
slus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
glued marker on a 3k watch not acceptable to me
I was looking at that and I can't see one trace of glue in there. Clearly I don't have the other piece to check for adhesive on the backside, but the channel is cut so precise I was wondering if it was just press fit in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikandtokalot View Post
Tipp-ex is your friend.
That's what my wife said I'd miss the lume, it really does stand out like a missing tooth at night too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Let us know how you go with RSC. I've heard they don't offer refinishing on the Pelagos since it's titanium.
Interesting, but makes some sense as their only titanium watch. I've seen a few posts of people touching them up with scotch brite or the bergeon refinishing tool though, so I'm slightly surprised Rolex wouldn't touch it. I will follow up.
Old 26 February 2022, 06:07 AM   #21
chunk2020
"TRF" Member

Sorry for my ignorance

What does “bra” mean above?

chunk2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 07:10 AM   #22
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Quote:
I'd give that a huge negatron. A big reason I like my BB58 and GMT is because of the character, and yes potential scratches, that are likely to occur over time with the aluminum bezel. Not everyone wants to put stickers on their watches, wear them for a few years, pull them off and then try to sell them as "mint".
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 07:05 AM   #23
slus
"TRF" Member

Well, I am sad to report it happened again already. I’ve been pretty nice to it since its last trip to RSC, but it couldn’t handle playing in the ocean over the weekend and another lume bar went missing. I’ve been a huge fan of the Pelagos for a decade now, but I’m seriously pissed this time. Bezel cost isn’t huge, but another 3 months without it is upsetting.

Old 27 April 2024, 07:10 AM   #24
slus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Sorry for the 2 year delay in reply. You were right, they did not refinish the Pelagos. It came back looking just like the day it left with a new bezel.

I wonder if that will change now that the Rolex mothership is selling full titanium models? I'm guessing the Ti YM owners will want theirs refinished at service time. If enough of them are released by then
Old 27 April 2024, 07:34 AM   #25
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
Sorry for the 2 year delay in reply. You were right, they did not refinish the Pelagos. It came back looking just like the day it left with a new bezel.

I wonder if that will change now that the Rolex mothership is selling full titanium models? I'm guessing the Ti YM owners will want theirs refinished at service time. If enough of them are released by then
Did you have to pay for the new bez?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 07:48 AM   #26
Scholar
"TRF" Member

This actually wasn't your doing. The 42mm Pelagos has a faulty bezel marker applications so it will come out at any point. (I adore the watch; this is what stopped me from getting one.)

They fixed the issue with the 39 and I believe the FXD, per a Tudor rep who visited some ADs, but I'm not sure why they haven't pack ported that solution to the original.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 08:31 AM   #27
slus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Did you have to pay for the new bez?
I did in 2022. I'd have to dig out the receipt for specifics but it was 300 something dollars.

I think it is still under warranty from the last bezel replacement/full RSC service so I am hoping this one is covered.
Old 27 April 2024, 08:36 AM   #28
slus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
This actually wasn't your doing. The 42mm Pelagos has a faulty bezel marker applications so it will come out at any point. (I adore the watch; this is what stopped me from getting one.)

They fixed the issue with the 39 and I believe the FXD, per a Tudor rep who visited some ADs, but I'm not sure why they haven't pack ported that solution to the original.
Clearly it is not fixed, maybe it is worse. 8ish years of hard wear on the original before the first one fell out, less than 2 years of much more casual wear after the bezel was replaced before it happened again. Or it is just completely random.
Old 27 April 2024, 10:46 AM   #29
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I tagged along with a friend a few weeks ago as he visited Tudor at the mall to drop off his red bezel Black Bay for repair because the 4 o’clock lume fell out of its place! You're maybe the 5th person I've heard of having a lume loss issue on their Tudor, and you had it done twice on two different bezels, so that’s very telling.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 11:50 AM   #30
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
My entire bezel insert fell out of my Pelagos bezel and landed on the ground in front of me back in 2016. It was a brand new watch with only a few days on my wrist. The AD was horrified and gave me a completely new watch. They said the classic, “We’ve never seen that before,” which lead me to believe they had. All has been well since. Love the watch.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote