The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2024, 10:33 PM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Well it's an Oyster case, and Perpetual (auto) movement with Date function. That verbiage goes back to the 1920s/30s/40s so is part of the heritage of the company and links most models, past and present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 08:16 AM   #32
Kingranch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
Prior DSSD with 5 lines of text

New DeepSea with 4 lines of text

Don’t forget the Original Deepsea, the face is completely different, ref 116660.

I would post a pic but this site is so antiquated, just google it.
Old 11 April 2024, 08:19 AM   #33
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
looks cleaner and less cluster
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 09:05 AM   #34
RustyW
"TRF" Member

Remove the text on the rehaut (ring around the dial) and you have nearly the perfect diving watch in the black dialed model IMO. Make it a two liner ala the old ND Sub...Rolex & Deep Sea is all that is needed on that dial. Minimalist it out. Let it and its specs to the talking. If only I was a Rolex designer ha ha.

I owned the first iteration of the DSSD. Loved the size and the way it sat on the wrist. Didn't love the out of proportion bracelet and all that text (20+ words/numbers on the dial. Lord. After 10-12 years, I grew very tired of the cluttered up mess looking up at me and opted for the red SD 43.

Love the wider bracelet/clasp on the newer DS and it looks like they have begun to de-cluttered dial. A move in the right direction in my book. If they axe the rehaut text at some point and keep that beautiful steel ringlock ring around the dial bare (never happen in my lifetime I bet), I would be all in on it.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 09:40 AM   #35
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
Prior DSSD with 5 lines of text

New DeepSea with 4 lines of text

It does look less technical and better balanced.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 03:11 PM   #36
Baracus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyW View Post
Remove the text on the rehaut (ring around the dial) and you have nearly the perfect diving watch in the black dialed model IMO. Make it a two liner ala the old ND Sub...Rolex & Deep Sea is all that is needed on that dial. Minimalist it out. Let it and its specs to the talking. If only I was a Rolex designer ha ha.

I owned the first iteration of the DSSD. Loved the size and the way it sat on the wrist. Didn't love the out of proportion bracelet and all that text (20+ words/numbers on the dial. Lord. After 10-12 years, I grew very tired of the cluttered up mess looking up at me and opted for the red SD 43.

Love the wider bracelet/clasp on the newer DS and it looks like they have begun to de-cluttered dial. A move in the right direction in my book. If they axe the rehaut text at some point and keep that beautiful steel ringlock ring around the dial bare (never happen in my lifetime I bet), I would be all in on it.
I still have the 126660 JC but basically agree with everything you said, removing all that text would really improve it.

I also have the SD43, but think removing the cyclops would improve that.

There's always something!
Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 11:43 PM   #37
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
Yeah, thanks, I’m aware of the history, and appreciate the Rolex heritage. These three words just don’t add any value to me, and I’m not certain that they are an important factor for anyone when buying a Rolex, as such could be removed and wouldn’t detract from the marketability or enjoyment of the watch, and in fact might improve the dial esthetic.

Said differently, it appears to me that including “Oyster Perpetual Date” is a legacy/antiquated marketing tactic that doesn’t have the same impact today.

Opinions could vary on this though.

:cheers:

Reflecting on this further… I recalled some information from years ago that “Oyster” was simply marketing, and found at least one post that supports this (courtesy of Padi56):

“Wilsdorf came up with the name oyster while he was having a dinner party and having a hard time getting into an oyster. He made a remark to his guests that he hoped the new design of watch case would prove to be as resilient as this oyster mollusk”

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=830661

The “Date” part seems quite obvious, and superfluous given you can look at the watch to determine if it does or does not include the date.

The “Perpetual” part also seems unnecessary (as text on the dial), especially given all Rolex watches today are mechanical (not quartz). Although, when I think back to my earliest memories of Rolex watches, the perpetual nature of these watches was one of the features that had me intrigued. So perhaps there’s merit in still including this text on the dial?

Wonder too if, in the spirit of simplifying the text on the dial, the official cert could be shortened to C.O.S.C. (or removed altogether?). The 2-liner 14060 comes to mind; same performance expectations of the movement, but not tested to COSC standards and thus no claim on the dial. And yet still highly regarded for it’s minimalism.

Anyway, the feeling that there is too much text on the dial extends to other brands as well (Tudor Pelagos “5-liner”, for instance), and like others I’d enjoy seeing what the Rolex line looks like with a simplified dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Well it's an Oyster case, and Perpetual (auto) movement with Date function. That verbiage goes back to the 1920s/30s/40s so is part of the heritage of the company and links most models, past and present.
Now, Adam, if what you’re essentially saying is “it’s always been done this way, so it should continue as is”, I’m not sure I agree with that as a blanket statement (I’m also not sure that’s what you’re trying to say, though maybe it is). However in some instances for truly iconic design elements, that probably make sense.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:06 AM   #38
RustyW
"TRF" Member

I took care of that cyclops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
I still have the 126660 JC but basically agree with everything you said, removing all that text would really improve it.

I also have the SD43, but think removing the cyclops would improve that.

There's always something!

Love it, but would get a DS in addition to it with the aforementioned changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no clops 2.jpg (157.8 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg no clops wrist shot.jpg (49.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg no clops.jpg (53.5 KB, 212 views)
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:52 AM   #39
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I love a big diver and I love gold. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm a sucker for this new Deepsea. The only minus, the Ti caseback should have been gold, the price should have been lower. I hit the gym 3 times a week, I can pull the weight . On a serious note though, it'd be unwearable as a daily driver.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:29 AM   #40
phobby
"TRF" Member

Does this change make the 2023 136660 a possible collector?

Since it was only made for 1 year with Sea Dweller.
phobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:32 AM   #41
Tom Arai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobby View Post

No only Deepsea like this the very first one.
Tom Arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:23 AM   #42
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Sort of interesting move.

It has its own page on the site separate from the Sea Dweller line now as well to distinguish them. Deep Sea Challenge still states Sea Dweller however. Sort of un Rolex like with the lack of uniformity.

Honestly it feels to me like the Exp II would’ve been a better break off into its own line as different as it is from the Exp I.
Old 12 April 2024, 05:33 AM   #43
phobby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Arai View Post
No only Deepsea like this the very first one.
The 136660 was the model redesign. Not very different but date window, bracelet, bezel height, and case back were changed for only a year and a half.
Old 12 April 2024, 06:53 AM   #44
Tom Arai
Banned

Quote:
The 136660 was the model redesign. Not very different but date window, bracelet, bezel height, and case back were changed for only a year and a half.
First was new design brand new model always best for collection. The one you want is not special but nice watch.
Tom Arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 09:04 AM   #45
Kingranch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

So was the 116660 and the 126660.

Old 12 April 2024, 12:52 PM   #46
trailblazer68
"TRF" Member

i wish they remove the date as well
trailblazer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 02:09 PM   #47
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Looks great. Wish I had a bigger wrist (and budget)👍
Old 12 April 2024, 06:22 PM   #48
steved
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Icon6

Quote:

I believe so picked mine up yesterday from my AD, very short run 2022 - 2024
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 01:46 AM   #49
acurry420
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
Yeah, thanks, I’m aware of the history, and appreciate the Rolex heritage. These three words just don’t add any value to me, and I’m not certain that they are an important factor for anyone when buying a Rolex, as such could be removed and wouldn’t detract from the marketability or enjoyment of the watch, and in fact might improve the dial esthetic.

Said differently, it appears to me that including “Oyster Perpetual Date” is a legacy/antiquated marketing tactic that doesn’t have the same impact today.

Opinions could vary on this though.

Agreed. I don't think it is necessary and is only there as a part of history. For the typical buyer, their buying behavior won't be any different if the wording was on the dial or not.
acurry420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 11:30 AM   #50
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Been joking with the AD for years about a full PM DeepSea.
Unbelievable. What a beautiful chunk of star debris.
Agreed. I never thought a PM DeepSea would happen. I'd love to try one for a few days - never had a watch where the weight was a bother but maybe this would do it.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 05:43 AM   #51
phobby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
I believe so picked mine up yesterday from my AD, very short run 2022 - 2024
Exactly, that guy with a 2 month old account from Japan “credible”. Since the DeepSea was already a low production watch with the two faces. I could see how the original 136660 of mostly 2023 models would be kinda rare. The JC 136660 already sells for over MSRP on the grey market.