The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 June 2022, 11:11 PM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Ever have a similar feeling about a watch?
I had the exact same feeling about the same watch.

I also had the same experience with my last Submariner (6 digit, 11 series) except that it didn't last as long as the Tudor.

And despite being the best watch ever, after a couple of years I parted with my Speedmaster as well.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 12:40 AM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I felt meh about the blue and owned it for barely a song. I’d also like to see the black without the mix and gilt , white. I would buy a non gilt blAck for sure
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:56 AM   #3
matt.w
"TRF" Member

Been feeling the same, except that its kept me from buying to begin with.

I'm the kind of contrarian where I actually prefer "Tudor" instead of "Rolex" on the dial.

But I do miss some of the Sub cues- scalloped bezel, crown guards- and also don't like the metal surrounds on the applied markers.

Should probably give the Pelagos FXD a second look, but really my heart is set on a 79090 or 79190 and that's all there is to it.
matt.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 02:31 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Felt/Feel the same way about the 58's although I discovered it before purchasing. I've see both the blue and black versions at My AD periodically and though both look like nice watches I always find them a bit of a let down compared to all the great photos I see on TRF. They are watches that seem to do everything that everybody wants them to do. The size reduction, the thickness reduction, in-house movement, power reserve, etc. But it just seems like there's nothing really exciting about them. I'm not sure what it is but I convinced myself it's not for me.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 03:23 AM   #5
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Felt/Feel the same way about the 58's although I discovered it before purchasing. I've see both the blue and black versions at My AD periodically and though both look like nice watches I always find them a bit of a let down compared to all the great photos I see on TRF. They are watches that seem to do everything that everybody wants them to do. The size reduction, the thickness reduction, in-house movement, power reserve, etc. But it just seems like there's nothing really exciting about them. I'm not sure what it is but I convinced myself it's not for me.
I just wish the bb58 that’s on my wrist was a Tempus Machina 216a

But for now it’s nice for a couple of days a week
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 03:35 AM   #6
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Its interesting how we perceive things isn't it.

I'm not suggesting the bb58 is a 6538 big crown (or 5510) - but it clearly takes its inspiration from that watch, probably closer to the 5510 being thinner. Yet the 6538 is probably a grail for most of us.

Now if that bb58 was a reissue by Rolex (I know, something they will never do), and it said Rolex on the dial and was limited to 5,510 pieces (or less; yes I know, something they will never do), I do wonder if this conversation we are having would be the polar opposite.

So I just wonder how much brand perception is clouding judgement on these pieces. I do suffer with the perception of quality, even when it comes to my 5 digit rolexes, I know I wear them less, because I'm spoiled by the finish and bracelet of all 6 digit models.

Show any non watch fan those two watches above and ask them why the one on the left is 2k and often moved on, yet the other is over 100k desperately coveted.

p.s. we know why, that perceived rarity and heritage is not in dispute.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 04:30 AM   #7
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Its interesting how we perceive things isn't it.

I'm not suggesting the bb58 is a 6538 big crown (or 5510) - but it clearly takes its inspiration from that watch, probably closer to the 5510 being thinner. Yet the 6538 is probably a grail for most of us.

Now if that bb58 was a reissue by Rolex (I know, something they will never do), and it said Rolex on the dial and was limited to 5,510 pieces (or less; yes I know, something they will never do), I do wonder if this conversation we are having would be the polar opposite.

So I just wonder how much brand perception is clouding judgement on these pieces. I do suffer with the perception of quality, even when it comes to my 5 digit rolexes, I know I wear them less, because I'm spoiled by the finish and bracelet of all 6 digit models.

Show any non watch fan those two watches above and ask them why the one on the left is 2k and often moved on, yet the other is over 100k desperately coveted.

p.s. we know why, that perceived rarity and heritage is not in dispute.
The uncomfortable truth is that both Tudor and Rolex sport models have transitioned from tools to tool’ish jewelry to full-on luxury Veblen goods, so brand perception is essentially the whole deal.

That’s partially why I have no interest in Rolex watches post 5-digit series (114270 is 5-digit in all but name.) They’re the last of the tooli’ish era.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 10:31 AM   #8
bjdub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
The uncomfortable truth is that both Tudor and Rolex sport models have transitioned from tools to tool’ish jewelry to full-on luxury Veblen goods, so brand perception is essentially the whole deal.

That’s partially why I have no interest in Rolex watches post 5-digit series (114270 is 5-digit in all but name.) They’re the last of the tooli’ish era.
I could understand this take re six digit Rolex sports models but how is the BB58 not a tool watch?
bjdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 02:05 PM   #9
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdub View Post
I could understand this take re six digit Rolex sports models but how is the BB58 not a tool watch?
It’s still a $4k watch designed in a time when watches are largely unnecessary, but, yeah, I’m willing to concede that a Tudor (or even a Rolex) is still a tool watch if you wear it like you would a G-Shock, with little consideration for damage. I quite literally wear mine 24/7, but we see less and less of that around here these days.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 04:34 AM   #10
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

I think you should try out a pelagos
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 05:30 AM   #11
genta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I picked up my first one about a year ago, the blue dial. On paper AND on wrist, it was an amazing watch. Amazing proportions, 39mm size and thickness is JUST right. Comfortable, nice modern movement with great accuracy and PR.

But after a while I wasn't really wearing it much, and I couldn't really figure out why I didn't like it more than I did. It maybe the only watch I've ever owned where I felt that way, other watches I can articulate something I don't like or a deal breaking feature. Couldn't do it with the BB58, but something just left me cold. I ended up selling it.

But I kept thinking about the watch, so about a month ago I picked up the "OG" black/gilt version, thinking maybe it was the blue dial of my first that I wasn't bonding with. But I'm kind of having the same issues. It's not making its way on to my wrist as much as I think it should, and I honestly can't figure out why.

It's not the whole "should have gotten a Sub" thing, as I've owned both 5 and 6 digit Subs in the past. Definitely not the faux rivets, they don't bother me at all.

I guess the watch and design can be a bit "boring" or "sterile", but that's not it either. I've owned plain 3-handers that I've really enjoyed in the past like the Explorer I.

I guess this sometimes happens with watches, but honestly this is the first one. By all accounts the BB58 should be one of my all-time favorite watches, but it's not.

Ever have a similar feeling about a watch?

Yes! Exactly same feeling. Perfect & boring = confusing. Sold it and bought a NM 21 fxd, a watch full of charm:) Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
genta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 05:44 AM   #12
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Purchased the black Bay 58 black and sold it didn’t like the look or the fit. . Then bought a blue 58 but still didn’t like the fit, sold it. And discovered you can buy a half link so bought another blue one , fits great , love it. Looks and feels like a four digit Rolex without the four digit Rolex prices and no need to worry about where and when you wear it.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 01:27 AM   #13
Viking
"TRF" Member

For me, my blue BB58 on the NATO strap is a fantastic weekend watch. I don't need to know the date on the weekends. It is simple, highly legible in dark light, feels great, matches with weekend clothes.

I am not a fan of the rivets, which is why I bought the NATO strap separately. It is the nicest NATO strap that I have ever owned.
Old 15 June 2022, 06:54 AM   #14
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
I have a BB58 Bronze.

I love the blue and black versions, however the bronze really feels like a different watch. The 3,6,9 tropical gilt dial on the bronze gives it a very different look. And the T-fit clasp on the bronze model solves all of the fitment issues with the standard Tudor clasp. The bronze bracelet makes the watch feel much more like a tool-piece to me.

I feel like in the bronze version, I get an Explorer 1 vibe, with a Submariner function. It really ticks every box for me and I'm still in love with it.

I'm not writing this to just talk up the BB85 Bronze, I'm stating that maybe the Bronze version has the intrigue that the SS models of the BB58 may be missing. And for that matter, the Silver 925 version as well.

If you love the BB58 but feel like there's something missing, maybe give the Bronze or 925 a try!
Old 16 June 2022, 05:53 AM   #15
Drzeller
"TRF" Member

Watch: 78 Expl, Y2K SubDt
This is the one that interests me. How heavy does it feel on the wrist?

I searched and didn't see much discussion on the bronze model, but then again, this post didn't show up, either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carondelet View Post
I have a BB58 Bronze.

I love the blue and black versions, however the bronze really feels like a different watch. The 3,6,9 tropical gilt dial on the bronze gives it a very different look. And the T-fit clasp on the bronze model solves all of the fitment issues with the standard Tudor clasp. The bronze bracelet makes the watch feel much more like a tool-piece to me.

I feel like in the bronze version, I get an Explorer 1 vibe, with a Submariner function. It really ticks every box for me and I'm still in love with it.

I'm not writing this to just talk up the BB85 Bronze, I'm stating that maybe the Bronze version has the intrigue that the SS models of the BB58 may be missing. And for that matter, the Silver 925 version as well.

If you love the BB58 but feel like there's something missing, maybe give the Bronze or 925 a try!
Drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 06:49 AM   #16
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Good question - bronze is a lot lighter than most people would imagine. Compared to both my Air King 116900 and my TT CHNR, the BB58 Bronze is much lighter. Both in hand, and on wrist. It feels balanced on my wrist and comfortable like the CHNR, but maybe at half the weight. (this is all perceived feeling of course).

Another point of reference is, I can jog with this watch on and it doesn't feel like I've got a wrist weight on. It's comfortable to wear during exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzeller View Post
This is the one that interests me. How heavy does it feel on the wrist?

I searched and didn't see much discussion on the bronze model, but then again, this post didn't show up, either!
Old 15 June 2022, 07:48 AM   #17
timehaschanged
"TRF" Member

personally the bb58 checks a few boxes. there is also alot of value in the watch. just my opinion
timehaschanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 10:45 AM   #18
Kt92
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
I gotta say I tried on the one in blue and LOVED it. Can’t wait to get one later this year - it’s such a gorgeous shade, especially with the blue strap.
Kt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:00 PM   #19
CB66
"TRF" Member

A couple of points. I find the blue a little boring compared to the black. It is one of the most hyped watches of the last decade and it is inevitable that there will eventually be some negative feedback given the expectations around it. Another vote for the Pelagos here.
CB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 07:50 PM   #20
Daveh777
"TRF" Member

As has been noted, design tastes are very personal. I actually love the BB58 Blue and wear a lot more than other watches in rotation.

It’s appeal for me is in it’s simplicity and wearability. It is also very legible, an important factor as a progress through the mid 50’s!
Daveh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 11:23 PM   #21
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh777 View Post
As has been noted, design tastes are very personal. I actually love the BB58 Blue and wear a lot more than other watches in rotation.

It’s appeal for me is in it’s simplicity and wearability. It is also very legible, an important factor as a progress through the mid 50’s!
Good point here. The 58 plus its 41mm cousins are some of the most legible and quickest to read watches on the market. Lume is also top notch. I love my 41mm three hander with no date 79220R
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 08:37 PM   #22
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I can see why you might struggle to bond with the watch, I think for those who have it in a smaller collection it's likely to get a lot of wrist time... I found myself pushing it to the back of the queue against others in my collection, but when I do wear it again - it brings back a smile to my face (even if short lived).

I think the point I'm trying to make is, variety is the spice of life - so keep it in rotation with other watches you also love and you can then enjoy them all
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 06:00 AM   #23
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
For those complaining about the lack of date, just turn the bezel to the proper number on the dial.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 07:00 AM   #24
Skyweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller326934
Like many, I struggled to love my OG BB58 which I bought a few years back on a leather strap. I then tried a rubber Vanguard strap, and more recently the Tudor bracelet. The bracelet certainly helps, and compared to my SD43 it is much easier to daily.

However - and I didn't see many comments on this - the 60 click bezel feels very non-premium compared to the equivalent Rolex models. Perhaps I am an outlier here but one of the reasons I like dive watches (and yes I am a diver) is the pleasure of playing with a high quality bezel. Perhaps for that reason, my Rootbeer with its 24 click bezel gets comparatively little wrist time at present...
Skyweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 09:44 AM   #25
Db7566
"TRF" Member

I still love mine but become very disappointed every time I touch the crown for its weak knurling. Same with the bezel but to a smaller extent. Fix those two plus a date and I would call it perfect.

Old 16 June 2022, 09:54 AM   #26
Dannyv
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126234
I love the watch, but I can't get passed the bracelet and crown to bite the bullet and purchase one.

It's an absolutely fantastic watch.
Dannyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 10:19 AM   #27
DJFanUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Bought my BB58 black a while ago now after deciding between that or the regular 41mm but preferred the golden tones of the bezel insert. Few out of live with it as I convinced myself it was too small. I have a 7.5 wrist and it can look a little small but because of that more vintage look it seems to get away with it.

Now I have added the SD43 I have the best of both worlds. Smaller, dressier 58 as a daily piece and the more modern looking black and white contrast in the SD43.

Well that's my excuse for keeping 2 black dialed dive watches in the collection anyway.

Bb8 is a great value proposition without question
Old 16 June 2022, 10:22 AM   #28
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I was able to get a discount so price was reasonable. I’ve been wearing quite a bit. I do find it funny when people have and issue with the 40 hour power reserve. Nobody seems to care that a PP 5711 or 5167 have basically the same reserve and substantially higher price.

Old 16 June 2022, 12:22 PM   #29
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I was able to get a discount so price was reasonable. I’ve been wearing quite a bit. I do find it funny when people have and issue with the 40 hour power reserve. Nobody seems to care that a PP 5711 or 5167 have basically the same reserve and substantially higher price.

Yea I don't really care about PR. I'm super tempted to pick one up. That bracelet is so nice.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 11:06 PM   #30
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post

I completely agree, power reserve is a convenience, but hardly necessary. I think of it like ventilated car seats; nice but not at all necessary and I hardly use them.

Is the power reserve of the BB58 only 40 hours? The power reserve on the BB58 Bronze is 70 hours.