The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2024, 12:21 AM   #61
exRCN
"TRF" Member

Reference 25500TN Two Line Pelagos

I've owned the original 'Two line' Pelagos ref 25500TN since I purchased it new in 2014 from an AD in Singapore. I picked it up right after working on a subsea seismic oil&gas exploration project in Malaysia. While I don't dive with it, I was working in very harsh seagoing environments that suited a genuine 'tool watch'.

I've long had a Submariner itch but as I was working as a fairly well paid 'day-rate' contractor I didn't feel that I could wear an easily recognized expensive Rolex on the job without sending the 'wrong message' about my financial situation.

The Pelagos gave me the satisfaction wearing a high quality tool watch without the negatives perceptions of a Rolex. On the rare occasions that it has been recognized, it's been other appreciative watch geeks.

Now that I'm fully retired I may pull the trigger and acquire a 41MM No-date Submariner.
exRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:30 AM   #62
exRCN
"TRF" Member

IMG_0090.jpg
Old 22 April 2024, 01:07 AM   #63
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exRCN View Post

I've long had a Submariner itch but as I was working as a fairly well paid 'day-rate' contractor I didn't feel that I could wear an easily recognized expensive Rolex on the job without sending the 'wrong message' about my financial situation.
I agree with this sentiment but I wonder what everyone considers are the potential negative consequences of wearing say, a Submariner, to work?
The Londonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:24 AM   #64
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Londonist View Post
I agree with this sentiment but I wonder what everyone considers are the potential negative consequences of wearing say, a Submariner, to work?

None. I am a teacher and I wear a submariner most days. I couldn’t care what others think. Not one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:50 AM   #65
exRCN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Londonist View Post
As a retiree I no longer worry about it, but when I was dependant on contract work it was a very real concern.

I was very well paid, and could demonstrate significant 'return on investment' to my clients; but, I didn't want to show any flash to those clients or the other folks I worked with. Enough people, especially accountants and office support staff, thought we were 'too expensive', but the real decision makers (geologists) saw our/my value. On one project, my client directly credited me with preventing a two week delay on a project that was costing him $750,000/day. That's a $10,500,000 USD savings.

At the time, my Pelagos hit the 'sweet spot' for me and its still one of my favourites, but my Submariner itch is getting stronger.
Old 22 April 2024, 02:01 AM   #66
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exRCN View Post
As a retiree I no longer worry about it, but when I was dependant on contract work it was a very real concern.

I was very well paid, and could demonstrate significant 'return on investment' to my clients; but, I didn't want to show any flash to those clients or the other folks I worked with. Enough people, especially accountants and office support staff, thought we were 'too expensive', but the real decision makers (geologists) saw our/my value. On one project, my client directly credited me with preventing a two week delay on a project that was costing him $750,000/day. That's a $10,500,000 USD savings.

At the time, my Pelagos hit the 'sweet spot' for me and its still one of my favourites, but my Submariner itch is getting stronger.

I can relate to this; when there are colleagues whose cooperation you need realise that your pay is significantly higher than theirs (by virtue of you wearing a Rolex) some may get resentful which may erode the team cohesion. For these times a Tudor fits the bill perfectly.
The Londonist is offline   Reply With Quote