The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2024, 06:39 AM   #1
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
And now the fun begins...

Recently I went on the hunt for a "birth year" Speedmaster.

1969 was a good year for the Speedmaster for sure...

But I always wanted the "true" moon watch- the 1967 321 movement variant, specifically in the correct serial range as the ones purchased by NASA. (Activate: FULL GEEK)

The other day I purchased a 1968 (reported) 321 movement complete with movement ring, stem and crown. I should take delivery in a week or so. If accurate, the date indicates one of the last 321 movements produced, as '68 is when the 861 was introduced.

I'm looking for many other parts to complete the build. And the "era-correct" parts are quite silly-priced. However, in my various searches, it seems a 321 service dial (luminova) might be a really nice compromise. I can also use a later case as the design was all over the map, and only the pushers and crown were solidly different early v post-68. And any service pusher would be just like the current ones.

So, I'm appealing to all to dig through your parts stash for stuff I might be able to use for my build. I will go "all-in" on certain things, but I don't feel uncomfortable deviating from "era-perfection" to both have something I can wear before I die and also that I won't cry about a ding on the case. Having a luminova dial and hands would be sweet for actual nigh-time legibility too!

I have a bunch of Rolex parts I have collected that could be used for trade too. I just want a couple spare items on hand in case I break something for those. I don't foresee any new Rolex builds.

So, let's see/hear what you have I might be able to use for this exciting build!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:35 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Sending you a PM so you can let me know your mailing address. I have a container of parts that came from a 142.012-67 I used to own, and I'll donate them to the cause. Not sure what's there that could be useful.

I purchased my 145.012 with a service dial in it that had a printed logo and shorter hour indices (like a 145.022 dial). It was an old dial with Tritium indices, but I opted to swap it out for a new Luminova service dial and hand set. I can recommend the Luminova service dial and hands (long indices and applied logo, like the one shown in the photo of my watch). I really enjoyed having this crisp, clean but period-correct look in my watch.

I ended up letting the watch go in trade years ago. Doh!!!

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:20 PM   #3
J!m
"TRF" Member

Tony- I got your message and replied.

Your watch came out fantastic! I am leaning more in that “resto-mod” direction myself for this one. As the ultimate tool watch, I think being able to read it in the dark will be useful!
Old 12 January 2024, 10:55 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Sending you a PM so you can let me know your mailing address. I have a container of parts that came from a 142.012-67 I used to own, and I'll donate them to the cause. Not sure what's there that could be useful.

I purchased my 145.012 with a service dial in it that had a printed logo and shorter hour indices (like a 145.022 dial). It was an old dial with Tritium indices, but I opted to swap it out for a new Luminova service dial and hand set. I can recommend the Luminova service dial and hands (long indices and applied logo, like the one shown in the photo of my watch). I really enjoyed having this crisp, clean but period-correct look in my watch.

I ended up letting the watch go in trade years ago. Doh!!!

Wow, this is incredibly generous of you Tony
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:56 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Jim, good luck with the build … I’m looking forward to seeing this. Please update this with pictures when you receive the watch and as you love forward!

Edit: subscribed
Old 13 January 2024, 02:04 AM   #6
J!m
"TRF" Member

That is the plan; however, I will receive a movement, and now some parts from Tony at some point, but yes, I will be recording the process.

Doing research, I am finding it very interesting the case shape was rather "out of control" unlike the Rolex stuff. Obviously, they used more than one vendor and cases of the same age can (and do) look radically different.

This is an odd build for me, only in that I've always wanted a Moon watch but always built or bought others instead over all these years... But that said, it feels good to finally be embarking on this build.

I'm feeling the need to thin my (modest) collection as well. I tend to wear one watch for several months at a time, not rotate daily as some do, and I have too many for that.

It's not easy to figure out which ones to let go...
Old 13 January 2024, 02:09 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post

I'm feeling the need to thin my (modest) collection as well. I tend to wear one watch for several months at a time, not rotate daily as some do, and I have too many for that.

It's not easy to figure out which ones to let go...
I hear you on that front. I recently went through this process and now I’m at 3 nice watches. So far I feel it’s a good number for me to maintain.
Old 13 January 2024, 03:25 AM   #8
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Interesting thread, subscribed, looking forward to see the final result.
Good luck OP
Also kudos for whoever helps you with the parts like AEC did
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 08:28 AM   #9
J!m
"TRF" Member

I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 13 January 2024, 09:05 AM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Check this out

https://omegaforums.net/threads/spee...atchco.160961/
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 09:12 AM   #11
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

This is obviously not going to work for you, but I wanted to share it to show that parts like this do exist out there

https://omegaforums.net/threads/nos-...0-obro.149392/
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 11:33 AM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

That case could be used but I’m looking for an older less complete one only because I’d not be using most of those parts.

The early case back fits that case. I’m not exactly sure when pushers changed from press fit to threaded but I think I’m ‘68 or hey were threaded already.

Not a big deal but that is perfect if someone wanted a 78-79 birth year watch.
Old 16 January 2024, 07:52 AM   #13
J!m
"TRF" Member

Doing research...

I think I'm going to try and do a really nice NASA issued watch replica.

The type of these (clearly) issued watches is interesting. My understanding is that they were 1967 purchases, yet the case number indicates otherwise, more like 1969.

The second hand is the first thing that caught my attention... I assumed that would be the earlier (skinny) style, not this later/current (triangular) style. But I see it on other issued watches as well- for those I also assumed they were replaced at service or something, but I guess not!

If I do go ahead and have the case and caseback engraved (as shown but using a number not issued) I will also have inside the caseback engraved to indicate it is a replica of an issued watch.

I need to find someone able to do this engraving. I know the shop that engraved the original face plates for Mark Levinson, so maybe I'll reach out to them...
Old 17 January 2024, 01:53 PM   #14
J!m
"TRF" Member

Movement holder inbound.

I have a Burgeon clamp thing but I don’t like it. I have proper round dedicated holders for Rolex and I made one for the Omega 565. This will make it easier to work on.

I located a beautiful dial but most of the lume is gone. I think the price is a bit high considering that.

Learned they stopped making the 321 in 1960 and the serials are not an indication of the year of the watch. Case back is closer usually but the movement serial could easily be older or newer than the case. There were also at least two case makers and they are subtly different.

What a minefield…
Old 18 January 2024, 10:08 AM   #15
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Since we are talking pre-moon 321s, I just want to share these photos. A fellow found this watch in the original box after his father passed away. He worked for a NASA contractor and I believe it was given to him, but almost never wore it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 321.jpg (65.2 KB, 1365 views)
File Type: jpg 1968 321 back.JPG (98.1 KB, 1360 views)
Old 18 January 2024, 10:24 AM   #16
J!m
"TRF" Member

*drool*

That is amazing.
Old 18 January 2024, 10:27 AM   #17
J!m
"TRF" Member

Just got a couple of the issued pencils from Apollo. I need to add the Velcro but these are the exact same as flown.

Also my Beta cloth patches. A10 because I met Tom Stafford about 20-25 years ago and A11 for obvious reasons…
Old 18 January 2024, 11:42 AM   #18
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
Since we are talking pre-moon 321s, I just want to share these photos. A fellow found this watch in the original box after his father passed away. He worked for a NASA contractor and I believe it was given to him, but almost never wore it.
That's sick
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 02:31 AM   #19
J!m
"TRF" Member

I didn’t have a movement holder for the 321 so…

Old 23 January 2024, 05:06 AM   #20
J!m
"TRF" Member

My precious…

Certainly needs service….
Old 26 January 2024, 01:51 PM   #21
Perilo
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure if this helps or not but I had my 1967 repaired two years ago and the watchmaker took a few photos along the way. He was able to source OEM parts from somewhere and I would be glad to share the details with you if interested….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2024, 10:24 PM   #22
J!m
"TRF" Member

Yes! Please share his info. I have a good lead with rough estimate on pricing with a maker in Australia that has a parts account and a sympathetic hand.

I am looking for alternatives so I can make my best decision.

The watch turned out great by the way!
Old 27 January 2024, 01:02 AM   #23
Perilo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Yes! Please share his info. I have a good lead with rough estimate on pricing with a maker in Australia that has a parts account and a sympathetic hand.

I am looking for alternatives so I can make my best decision.

The watch turned out great by the way!
Thank you Jim...PM sent to you.
Old 28 January 2024, 10:22 AM   #24
J!m
"TRF" Member

Minor update:

I secured the original mid case for this watch with crystal and pushers. It’s really nice so I’m on the fence about engraving the side of the case… might find a cheap service case.

I also secured a correct dial.

Only case back (which can be service since I’m going to “ruin” it) sub dial hands and a bezel.
Old 30 January 2024, 02:50 AM   #25
J!m
"TRF" Member

BIG update!

I have the mid-case in hand now. It is in really nice shape, but it was re-polished at some point unfortunately... I guess engraving the serial won't matter any longer.

I also secured the correct late 321 dial, identical to the one posted by @GTS Dean which has the wider T location. Earlier dials had the T closer to the Swiss Made. Very happy about that.

I also have a watchmaker in Australia that is willing and able to do all the work, including a full rebuild of the movement to Omega specifications (which generally includes a lot of parts on the 321). He can do the relume I may do (the dial is missing a lot) and also handle the engraving for me.

Coincidentally, he did a watch for a NASA employee- the case back loos like the -78 delivery of the Alaska III radial dial models. That whole project is a very interesting story, if you're into that stuff. I don't know if that person was somehow able to get a (rarest Speedmaster dial ever made) radial dial, but I did ask.

Joseph Kerwin's Speedmaster - S/N 82

Old 30 January 2024, 04:24 AM   #26
J!m
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention- that dial @brandrea gifted me is available if some else is working on a newer project!

It has a slight bevel at the edge ("Pie Pan" but not the hard step the early 861 dials had. I don't know the exact vintage. But the condition is excellent! And it is a Tritium dial, not a modern one.
Old 2 February 2024, 07:41 AM   #27
J!m
"TRF" Member

My dial arrived today!

Old 9 February 2024, 12:08 PM   #28
J!m
"TRF" Member

Sent everything to Australia today… including my X-33 Speedmaster (gen 1) that’s not receptive to a new battery… it’ll get a heart transplant and new gaskets too.
Old 9 February 2024, 05:42 PM   #29
GeorgeK
"TRF" Member

Keep the updates coming! I have a 105.012 incoming as well, keeps the tickles alive.
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 09:11 PM   #30
Tritto
"TRF" Member

I'm keen to see how this turns out. I have a 145.012 that needs a sympathetic restoration, including a relume (lots of missing lume) and I wonder how yours comes out. I think I know who your watchmaker is and he's done a couple of jobs for me before - excellent work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tritto is offline   Reply With Quote