The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 8 September 2016, 01:57 PM   #91
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Is it possible that the wrong watch was sent (an X instead of an E serial)? Did you check it carefully against the photos?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 02:10 PM   #92
Charlie_pace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610
This is really enlightening. Thank you Krishna for posting your experience, and for being so calm in all of this. To be frank, I can guarantee I wouldn't be so chill.
Charlie_pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 02:10 PM   #93
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishy26 View Post
I notified you the issue about the tight bezel rotation a few weeks after, if you remember, you agreed to send me a click spring, it never arrived. Took this to Max Schweizer in Sydney, he said he had none. He gave me the serial number on that day as its a watch with head only. Watch was never opened or authenticated. (If he opens, he will charge 50 to put it back to make it water proof) I noted the serial mismatch. But what is the diffrence between an X-serial and E-serial? They both are from 1991 as per Bob watches websites, no big deal, thats the feeling I had. I even contacted members here asking a suggestion for my X-serial, check the thread below to prove that I am not hiding anything. I revealed a few here that I bought X-series from a seller here.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=474169

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=475063

yes, X-series is what I hold. But now the focus shifts on to case serial
I think my response has been crystal clear. I honestly don't know about the serial number difference. I do not have that serial number in any of my records. You took the watch to a watchmaker after receiving it. 2 years have passed and you want?

Here below right after buying this watch is your WTB for an E serial 16710 bracelet

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=370170

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 02:14 PM   #94
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
I think my response has been crystal clear. I honestly don't know about the serial number difference. I do not have that serial number in any of my records. You took the watch to another watchmaker to work on it 2 years have passed and you want?

Here below right after buying this watch is your WTB for an E serial 16710 bracelet

Thats what I just said. "Please hold on, before passing the judgement." The above post I made was almost a few days after I got the watch from you. In my mind, it was an E serial as it was advertised like that by you.

A little later, I asked you to send the click spring, you never did. Then I took it to Max, it was revealed that it is an X-serial. From there on, I am aware of the fact that this is an X-serial as my subsequent posts show.
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 02:21 PM   #95
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think my response has been crystal clear. I honestly don't know about the serial number difference. I do not have that serial number in any of my records. You took the watch to a watchmaker after receiving it. 2 years have passed and you want?

Further to that what I said.. Forget that refund, that demand is in flames now. My greatest task here on the forum now is to prove my credibility ever since you brought the serial number mismatch into equation.
Old 8 September 2016, 02:31 PM   #96
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Krishna,
You bought a watch after 2 years it broke. Buying it you knew it was used about 23 years old and that it had no service history or warranty. There was a return policy. The watch was checked out by me and a cw21 watchmaker. You received it left good feedback and even took it to a local watch maker as you say below. You had a choice to spend $50 it seems and have the watch opened up inspected and pressure checked did you not?

(Took this to Max Schweizer in Sydney, he said he had none. He gave me the serial number on that day as its a watch with head only. Watch was never opened or authenticated. (If he opens, he will charge 50 to put it back to make it water proof)

I don't know who else has touched this watch since it left me but when it left me everything was fine there was no super glued case back etc. End of story! Now as a passionate watch guy I offered to help you. I found a guy who can repair this case and gave you his info what else can I do? A full refund ? another watch? No my friend. Its unfortunate and things can happen but as a seller I have done the best I can.

Old 8 September 2016, 02:43 PM   #97
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Krishna,
You bought a watch after 2 years it broke. Buying it you knew it was used about 23 years old and that it had no service history or warranty. There was a return policy. The watch was checked out by me and a cw21 watchmaker. You received it left good feedback and even took it to a local watch maker as you say below. You had a choice to spend $50 it seems and have the watch opened up inspected and pressure checked did you not?

(Took this to Max Schweizer in Sydney, he said he had none. He gave me the serial number on that day as its a watch with head only. Watch was never opened or authenticated. (If he opens, he will charge 50 to put it back to make it water proof)

I don't know who else has touched this watch since it left me but when it left me everything was fine there was no super glued case back etc. End of story! Now as a passionate watch guy I offered to help you. I found a guy who can repair this case and gave you his info what else can I do? A full refund ? another watch? No my friend. Its unfortunate and things can happen but as a seller I have done the best I can.

Nick,

A 2nd bungle arrived from me, not reporting the serial mismatch to you straight away. I didn't even do it at least in the E-mail when I reported the problem(who cares E and X are equivalent, what's there to report to seller, I thought) .

Well my friend, I am a fair man. Considering the mistakes I made ,I will retract my claim for refund. But please do not make implicit comments like "I don't know who else has touched this watch since it left me". What I tell is truth in my world and what you do is truth in your world.

Regards,
Krishna
Old 8 September 2016, 02:52 PM   #98
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
I'm sort of confused. I think having. A 48 hour refund time completely takes sellers further responsibility out of the question. It has been 2 years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Relyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 03:10 PM   #99
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi Nick,

Yes, an interesting situation with the serial numbers. X versus E.

The first 3 numbers X963 are shown on the Rolex quote.
Are these the first 3 numbers of the E Rolex you sold the OP?

Just trying to work out if there was a mistake made with the letter or if it is a different watch?

Eddie.

Was typing this as you posted Adam.
Eddie,
What follows E is something only Nick knows, as it exists in his records. I can reveal the numbers after X. It could very well be a slight error made when reading the first character..
Saying that, Nick doesn't need to be engaged on this case anymore, considering all the bungles I made. Further to that, popular say here is that 2 years is way off..
Old 8 September 2016, 03:11 PM   #100
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Nick,

A 2nd bungle arrived from me, not reporting the serial mismatch to you straight away. I didn't even do it at least in the E-mail when I reported the problem(who cares E and X are equivalent, what's there to report to seller, I thought) .

Well my friend, I am a fair man. Considering the mistakes I made ,I will retract my claim for refund. But please do not make implicit comments like "I don't know who else has touched this watch since it left me". What I tell is truth in my world and what you do is truth in your world.

Regards,
Krishna
A Rolex watch is identified by serial number or more recently by random ID.

It is either an X or an E.

If Nick has no record of a X serial number in his records then how can this watch be the one Nick sent you??

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 03:23 PM   #101
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
A Rolex watch is identified by serial number or more recently by random ID.

It is either an X or an E.

If Nick has no record of a X serial number in his records then how can this watch be the one Nick sent you??

X serial number is what I had from the day I received it.

How can this watch be the one Nick sent you? It is the watch he sent me. I can not prove it, just my words only unfortunately.
Old 8 September 2016, 03:41 PM   #102
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Is it possible that the wrong watch was sent (an X instead of an E serial)? Did you check it carefully against the photos?

Photos in the ad where this watch was advertised were removed by Nick recently. Again its not an accusation. Just a possible coincidence.

I get nothing out of accusing anyone. Just the facts. I didn't want to reveal the seller's identity, its just that one of the members decided to put his name out unfortunately.
Old 8 September 2016, 03:46 PM   #103
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Photos in the ad where this watch was advertised were removed by Nick recently. Again its not an accusation. Just a possible coincidence.
Krishna is this another statement you make that you will come back and say you were wrong? This my friend is not true! Photos were deleted from my photo bucket account after you received the watch and left good feedback around 2 years ago. NOT recently NOT a coincidence

Old 8 September 2016, 03:56 PM   #104
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Krishna is this another statement you make that you will come back and say you were wrong? This my friend is not true! Photos were deleted from my photo bucket account after you received the watch and left good feedback around 2 years ago. NOT recently NOT a coincidence
Nick,

How can I prove it now? So I better shut up, would be right. Unfortunately, a question was asked by the mod and told him what I noticed.

I say this.. Considering the bungles I made, I demand nothing out of you. You can disengage on this quite simply because there is nothing concrete anymore to prove that you did anything wrong(error) here. It becomes a problem if members ask me questions, that's what happened here. From my side, I cease my complaints.
Krishna
Old 8 September 2016, 04:20 PM   #105
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Sorry to hear Krishna. I hope you get it fixed and enjoy the watch otherwise get rid of it and forget the terrible experience. Sharing your story is a reminder to us all to trust but verify!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 06:01 PM   #106
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Nick,

Regards,
Krishna
Probably the dumbest reply in this whole thread.

Example: I sell you a Chevrolet with a designated VIN # and you after 2 years bring the same model car in to a GM shop with a different VIN # that needs repair.

Do you expect me to give you the time of day? (pun intended).

PS: Thanks Nick for explaining your side of the story.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 06:11 PM   #107
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Probably the dumbest reply in this whole thread.

Example: I sell you a Chevrolet with a designed VIN # and you after 2 years bring the same model car in to a GM shop with a different VIN # that needs repair.

Do you expect me to give you the time of day? (pun intended).

PS: Thanks Nick for explaining your side of the story.
Happy if you spare this as the dumbest reply. Worse needs to be directed for how I handled this purchase.
Old 8 September 2016, 07:35 PM   #108
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Seems strange to me that you needed Max to tell you what serial it is when it didn't have a bracelet, couldn't you just read it for yourself. Are you sure Max didn't take the back off when you left it there ?
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 10:30 PM   #109
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Seems strange to me that you needed Max to tell you what serial it is when it didn't have a bracelet, couldn't you just read it for yourself. Are you sure Max didn't take the back off when you left it there ?

I agree with Peter
The situation got worst - with the different serial numbers
Up to now I thought only Rolex had the watch in their hands
Now I find out Max Schweizer did as well

I believe my fellow TRFer Krishna can make this watch look like new
for a lot less than the unethical mega bucks Rolex is suggesting he should fork out.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 11:48 PM   #110
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Happy if you spare this as the dumbest reply. Worse needs to be directed for how I handled this purchase.

As i see,both parties have a certain part of responsibility that the deal went sour ,since the resolution is about 500dollars range i d say Krishna the best would be to rethread the case and live with it ,you will have a nice beater and reminder that trust is good but control is better.

Asking other members who are experienced in rethreading ,do you think the process has no ill effect on WR?ty

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 12:08 AM   #111
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

16710 with a damaged case from a Trusted seller here

I had already asked my CW21 watchmaker about rethreading and possible causes of the problem Rolex told the OP.

It's tricky business and by no means foolproof but one must know what's really wrong he said. For example, if a caseback is closed up without proper tools, or without any lube, or over torqued, the threads may be simply galled. That would be easier than if the threads had been completely crossed up and tightened.
So it's really not a sure thing until an experienced person can see it, have the right tools and skills to re-chase those threads. It is equally possible the caseback itself is damaged as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 01:05 AM   #112
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Assuming that it is the same watch, I'm not sure how you could give it to a respected and experienced watch repair person and then not spend the $50 to check it out and pressure test it. It wasn't listed as pressure tested. That would have been the 2nd thing on my list to do after confirming that the movement appeared to be fine and all Rolex parts. Of course it was sold "as is", so I'm not sure he would have taken it back anyway.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 02:11 AM   #113
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Assuming that it is the same watch, I'm not sure how you could give it to a respected and experienced watch repair person and then not spend the $50 to check it out and pressure test it. It wasn't listed as pressure tested. That would have been the 2nd thing on my list to do after confirming that the movement appeared to be fine and all Rolex parts. Of course it was sold "as is", so I'm not sure he would have taken it back anyway.
I agree. The very first thing I did with my watches is take them down the street to Vanessa to pressure test and authenticate/appraise. It's too late for the OP, but this is a tough lesson to learn.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 04:05 AM   #114
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Would like to make a point here about the OP not spending $50 to get it opened up.

I think we can all agree that we all have different habits and while many will fully authenticate any watch they buy used, there will be others who never even think about matching the serial number of the watch against the warranty card. We should refrain from pounding the OP for not authenticating it as the foresight of hindsight is something nobody intrisically has.

I for one have never opened up any watch I purchased, granted that they are from trusted sellers or ADs (used or new). What I have done is matched warranty card serials and counted the number of links that came with the package. Not everyone does this and if someone has an issue down the line due to him/her not following my usual practice, it's not cool to berate the person with an i-told-you-so attitude.

That is all.
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 05:06 AM   #115
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Would like to make a point here about the OP not spending $50 to get it opened up.

I think we can all agree that we all have different habits and while many will fully authenticate any watch they buy used, there will be others who never even think about matching the serial number of the watch against the warranty card. We should refrain from pounding the OP for not authenticating it as the foresight of hindsight is something nobody intrisically has.

I for one have never opened up any watch I purchased, granted that they are from trusted sellers or ADs (used or new). What I have done is matched warranty card serials and counted the number of links that came with the package. Not everyone does this and if someone has an issue down the line due to him/her not following my usual practice, it's not cool to berate the person with an i-told-you-so attitude.

That is all.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 05:15 AM   #116
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
We should refrain from pounding the OP for not authenticating it as the foresight of hindsight is something nobody intrisically has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoro View Post
Agreed.
I don't think anyone is pounding the OP. I think this thread could serve as a teaching tool to others, and I would be willing to bet that the OP would agree with me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who buy a watch here and don't have them checked out. OPs story is rare, so most of the time that is fine. I would also be willing to bet that those people who wouldn't normally check a 5 year old watch would certainly have checked 23+ year old watch. Again, not a knock on OP. This is a rough lesson to learn and my sympathies are with the OP and his watch.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 05:27 AM   #117
psv
"TRF" Member

While I feel for the OP being left with a hefty bill, the terms and conditions of the deal and product was clearly stated, you had 48 hrs to inspect for a full refund - after that you are on your own.

Complaining on a 20+ years old product bought over 2 years ago and dragging the seller into this in public just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

No point of discussing this any further or passing blame left or right. Sell the watch for parts or have Rolex fix it.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 06:11 AM   #118
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Complaining on a 20+ years old product bought over 2 years ago and dragging the seller into this in public just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

What if, as a result of this thread a few other people come forward with the same issue with the same seller?

That is the value I see with threads like these.
Old 9 September 2016, 06:18 AM   #119
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
16710 with a damaged case from a Trusted seller here

Quote:
What if, as a result of this thread a few other people come forward with the same issue with the same seller?

That is the value I see with threads like these.

I'm in agreement with you. A community that relies on "trusted sellers" should have the right to post concerns and leave documentation of unsatisfactory transactions REGARDLESS of wheather or not the seller is liable. I'm not saying that slander is allowable, but there will be situations (like this) where whacky things happen... It should be noted and documented. A seller must earn their "trusted" status. I know this is easy to say because I'm not the seller, but if it were me I would cough up the $500 to have the watch rethreaded just on principle. Now you have a happy buyer and documentation to a community that you go above and beyond, even when it's not necessary. Now that's being "trusted". Just my 2 cents
Old 9 September 2016, 06:44 AM   #120
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Op, is it possible at any point during the 2 years you owned the watch that somebody might have pulled the old switch a roo? Perhaps a watchmaker?,friend?,potential buyer? anything you can think of?

I've heard of scammers switching fakes for real watches during meet up for sales and im wondering if something alone those lines could have happened to Op