The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28 March 2024, 04:31 PM   #211
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
I had one offered to me by my AD unsolicited about 3-4 years ago. SS Fluted Jubilee. Bought it on the spot. Nice piece. Wore it for about one year then sold it for something else.

The marker @ 9 bothered me a bit, but the real reason I sold it was that, unlike in pictures, the dial is really rather monochromatic. The green romans don't really stand out in average light. They "pop" beautifully in bright light.

As for this thread, all the back and forth bickering cracks me up. Put down the mouse, go out for some fresh air and chill. There are children starving in this world.

I can see that the SS version would seem monochromatic. That’s why we see so many TT versions. The gold, whether yellow, or rose, makes the dial pop! This is a dial that actually needs the gold to be fully appreciated, IMO.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2024, 05:58 PM   #212
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 126333
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
The point that I'm trying to make is that this is the fools gold of the Rolex catalogue
Isn’t that the Pepsi with its dodgy ceramic bezel?

Old 28 March 2024, 06:16 PM   #213
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the people buying the Wimbledon have set a fake emotion presedence for themselves, that this watch is sought after - when in reality it isn't.

In my area the Wimbledon dial is easy to get, but those who are buying it are patting themselves on the back after the purchase with the assumption that they've scored a rare collectible, which again isn't true.
Of course it’s sought after, absurd to suggest otherwise. Been a hugely popular dial for 15 years, & the demand is still there otherwise Rolex would’ve dropped it by now.

I bought one & the possibility it was a “rare collectible” didn’t register in my mind even for a nanosecond - it was just a gorgeous watch that I’d previously underestimated. I’ve seen a few Wimbledon dials around but only one, repeat one, in the spec that I would’ve considered buying. Your post is one of the most nonsensical I’ve read on this forum.

Old 29 March 2024, 12:07 AM   #214
KatGirl

Thoughts on the Wimbledon Dial

Thanks for articulating what I literally could not. I was thwarted by my “fake emotion precedence”, and blinded by the “fool’s gold” on my wrist. Seriously though, I saw the watch, tried it on, and really loved it. Months later, when the opportunity suddenly arose to buy it, I did. As you said, popularity or collectibility never entered my mind, nor did the famed tennis tournament.

Kat

Old 29 March 2024, 01:01 AM   #215
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Thanks for articulating what I literally could not. I was thwarted by my “fake emotion precedence”, and blinded by the “fool’s gold” on my wrist. Seriously though, I saw the watch, tried it on, and really loved it. Months later, when the opportunity suddenly arose to buy it, I did. As you said, popularity or collectibility never entered my mind, nor did the famed tennis tournament.

Kat

I would think that’s how it works for most when buying a watch
Old 29 March 2024, 01:05 AM   #216
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco68 View Post
Of course it’s sought after, absurd to suggest otherwise. Been a hugely popular dial for 15 years, & the demand is still there otherwise Rolex would’ve dropped it by now.

I bought one & the possibility it was a “rare collectible” didn’t register in my mind even for a nanosecond - it was just a gorgeous watch that I’d previously underestimated. I’ve seen a few Wimbledon dials around but only one, repeat one, in the spec that I would’ve considered buying. Your post is one of the most nonsensical I’ve read on this forum.

There's really nothing in the modern Datejust lineup that's actually "sought after", except maybe the green palm motif dial. Sure, their grey market values are inflated, just like some of the colored dials in the OP line - but this is different from being an actual iconic collectible like the Sub or Daytona.

Your comment is very focused on yourself, and why you bought the watch (perhaps biased as well?). That's great that you didn't for a second think about it being collectible, but that doesn't mean that 80% of others buying it have the same mindset as you.

If my comment was the most nonsensical you've ever read in the history of this forum, then keep reading my friend
Old 29 March 2024, 01:06 AM   #217
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m at a total loss, as to what any of that meant, but Cheers to you, too, GB!

Kat

You'd have to go beyond the surface level to understand, it requires analytical thinking.

Cheers
Old 29 March 2024, 01:23 AM   #218
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
the dial is unique, that's probably the dial i would go with if i were going to get a DJ, or the blue
Old 29 March 2024, 02:01 AM   #219
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's really nothing in the modern Datejust lineup that's actually "sought after", except maybe the green palm motif dial. Sure, their grey market values are inflated, just like some of the colored dials in the OP line - but this is different from being an actual iconic collectible like the Sub or Daytona.

Your comment is very focused on yourself, and why you bought the watch (perhaps biased as well?). That's great that you didn't for a second think about it being collectible, but that doesn't mean that 80% of others buying it have the same mindset as you.

If my comment was the most nonsensical you've ever read in the history of this forum, then keep reading my friend

Of course the Datejust is sought after - it’s a long standing classic Rolex model. Pretty much every Rolex model is sought after in some way, as everyone has different tastes.

Given that the grey market is a free market, no idea where you get impression of “inflated” prices from - as it’s a free market driven by supply & demand, what an earth are you talking about?

Of course my comment was focused on myself - I was commenting on a factor about my personal buying experience, so the fact it was personal was blindingly obvious. Jesus. Sorry you’re having difficulties accepting your “rare collectible” comment was ridiculous.

To help you with your reading, I said your post was “one of the most” not “the most” nonsensical posts I’d read on here, but will definitely keep reading them - for their comedic value…..

Old 29 March 2024, 02:04 AM   #220
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You'd have to go beyond the surface level to understand, it requires analytical thinking.

Cheers

You clearly just scratched the surface then…..

Old 29 March 2024, 02:26 AM   #221
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

No problem Kat - always good to read your knowledgeable posts driven by your watch passion.

Old 29 March 2024, 03:00 AM   #222
KatGirl

Thoughts on the Wimbledon Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
the dial is unique, that's probably the dial i would go with if i were going to get a DJ, or the blue

The mint green is also stunning. Those are the 3 hottest dials. For the record, the Rolex Datejust remains the best selling Rolex model, by far. When you consider that, you can see just how popular the Wimbledon is. I’ve read that it is produced in fewer numbers than other variants, which may add to it being hard to get.

Kat

Old 29 March 2024, 03:12 AM   #223
KatGirl

Quote:

Cheers

My analytical thinking skills are totally intact. I just didn’t want to risk insulting you, by injecting reality into your totally nonsensical postulation. In other words, I chose kindness, and you responded by insulting my intelligence. Let’s have a civil discourse.

Kat

Old 29 March 2024, 10:02 AM   #224
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My analytical thinking skills are totally intact. I just didn’t want to risk insulting you, by injecting reality into your totally nonsensical postulation. In other words, I chose kindness, and you responded by insulting my intelligence. Let’s have a civil discourse.

Kat

Telling people what they say "makes absolutely no sense" is not exactly the most polite reply ever, is it Kat? I replied accordingly and have no issues escalating my replies politeness in proportion. I gave you my theory about the watch with a very neutral outlook, if it doesn't make sense to you then simply move on.

You can gauge how rude you are by pretending we're sitting together at the same table. Would you have spoken to my face in the same snarky tone like you initially did? Absolutely not.

I started off quite neutral actually but didn't realize I was walking into a heated discussion of people defending their personal views. After reading some of the previous posts now it makes sense, as I can see some people stating they detest this watch (like me), and others loving it.

Let's keep it civil here ladies and gents, this forum it suppose to be about the watches. Not about who's theory is correct, wrong, or doesn't make sense to others.

Cheers
Old 29 March 2024, 10:07 AM   #225
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco68 View Post
Of course the Datejust is sought after - it’s a long standing classic Rolex model. Pretty much every Rolex model is sought after in some way, as everyone has different tastes.

Given that the grey market is a free market, no idea where you get impression of “inflated” prices from - as it’s a free market driven by supply & demand, what an earth are you talking about?

Of course my comment was focused on myself - I was commenting on a factor about my personal buying experience, so the fact it was personal was blindingly obvious. Jesus. Sorry you’re having difficulties accepting your “rare collectible” comment was ridiculous.

To help you with your reading, I said your post was “one of the most” not “the most” nonsensical posts I’d read on here, but will definitely keep reading them - for their comedic value…..

I'm sensing plenty of animosity here sir, have you come to the defence of the lady?

I'm not going to reply to all your petty jabs in this comment. Please keep the discussion on topic - which is Rolex, watches, and everything we love about them. Not who is making ridiculous comments, or who's theory makes more sense.

Everyone has the right to express what they think here politely, ridiculing is not going to help anyone.

Cheers
Closed Thread