The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 January 2019, 04:21 PM   #1
oncogene1
"TRF" Member

I chose the black dial!
Old 20 January 2019, 04:22 PM   #2
nlb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Both are gorgeous
Old 20 January 2019, 10:42 PM   #3
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
White in the ceramic. The dial has many characteristics of the 16520 porcelain dial. It’s a lot different than the 116520 white which did not sing to me. I think black in the older model was the better looking watch but the new ceramic is simply stunning in the white and evokes the original modern Daytona’s that started it all.
Old 20 January 2019, 10:57 PM   #4
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Can’t go wrong. Have generally preferred the white, but after trying it for a bit, I now want to try the black, which I have never actually seen in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 January 2019, 12:45 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
White. Wears smaller which I like with 6.25 wrists. See only the white dial. Black dial visually extends the full 40mm. Thus looks bigger.
Old 8 April 2020, 10:29 AM   #6
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Who here has actually held both watches in their hands?

My guess is only a handful who are commenting on this forum

I held both, and played around. Though the white is the “panda” Paul Newman-esque watch, it gets more hype online, but the dial falls flat in comparison to the black, which absolutely catches the eye of anyone within 5 feet of the watch

The subdials on the black ceramic have this copper white gold shimmer that plays beautifully in the light

The white dial is gorgeous but the sterile dial doesn’t warm up like the black, it always feels like the watch is wearing you and not you who is wearing the watch. The black blends INTO you and becomes a part of your look and outlook, whereas the white screams for attention. The black is a inner joke smile with a close friend, whereas the white dial is a gregarious laugh in a group.
Old 8 April 2020, 12:23 PM   #7
TeddyBallGame
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotaco View Post

I held both, and played around. Though the white is the “panda” Paul Newman-esque watch, it gets more hype online, but the dial falls flat in comparison to the black, which absolutely catches the eye of anyone within 5 feet of the watch

The subdials on the black ceramic have this copper white gold shimmer that plays beautifully in the light

The white dial is gorgeous but the sterile dial doesn’t warm up like the black, it always feels like the watch is wearing you and not you who is wearing the watch. The black blends INTO you and becomes a part of your look and outlook, whereas the white screams for attention. The black is a inner joke smile with a close friend, whereas the white dial is a gregarious laugh in a group.

This!!!

I too initially wanted the white dial because of the pop of the white against the black ceramic bezel you see in pictures. But when I got to see them both in person, the black really stood out. Like taco said, light dances around the silver subdials and really catches you eye. Also, I think the black is much more versatile than the white, which felt a little more sporty when I put it on. Either way, both watches are great, but I chose black when given the option. Hope you get the one that speaks to you!!
Old 8 April 2020, 01:17 PM   #8
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotaco View Post

I have and went with the white dial.
Old 21 January 2019, 04:11 AM   #9
JRAH
"TRF" Member

Both are great, but black for me!
Old 22 January 2019, 01:58 AM   #10
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
On the 116500 series I always wanted the white dial. It just popped for me and I love the look and contrast of this layout. I got 116500 black dial because it was offered to me from my AD and Pressured by the hype I said ok. I now have paid for a white dial one at the same AD and I will get the next one they get. ( I was second in line and now I am next in line ) I should have it soon ( only mother Rolex knows when ) I hope it will be within the next 2-3 months.

As I said the white has much more contrast between the black Ceramic bezel and the black sub-dial rings with the white dial. That makes everything pop and makes the watch much sportier than the all black.
I believe though that the white dial looks sportier ( which I also prefer ) therefore the all black can be worn in absolutely any situation and it’s classier looking.
The black dialed Daytona in the 116520 series was a better choice for me ( in my opinion ) because the watch had a nice balance between the dial’s silver hour markers the sub dial silver ring and the SS bezel. That made the watch sporty enough yet classy at the same time. The white dial 116520 although very beautiful had less contrast and the silver indices were blending too much with the white dial.

Old 22 January 2019, 01:59 AM   #11
benouah
"TRF" Member

White.
Black reminds me too much of some fashion watches (i.e. Armani).

Old 22 January 2019, 03:22 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I've had both, and the black is definitely my preference. The white is way too stark and sterile, and the design reminds me of a Tag or the Omega "Racing" Panda dial. I wish the white Daytona had more of a light silvery dial like the vintage 6263s, not snow/toothpaste white. I flipped it after owning it less than a week. Either way, I highly recommend seeing both in person and NOT buying based on photos. The white is clearly more photogenic because of the contrast with the black sub-dial rings, but on the wrist is a very different story.

The black version, with all that cool silvery/white gold on the gloss black dial, is just sleeker, more versatile, and more sophisticated, yet also sporty, IMHO. It also looks great on a black leather or rubber strap. (Of course, all of this is very subjective, and both are fabulous timepieces.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apollo Snow.jpg (246.4 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg Daytona-TRF.jpg (285.9 KB, 526 views)
Old 22 January 2019, 03:12 AM   #13
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
White, because on this version it’s look better in white.
Old 22 January 2019, 03:17 AM   #14
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

White
Old 22 January 2019, 03:26 AM   #15
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
White for me

Old 22 January 2019, 03:41 AM   #16
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
White...every other watch I own has a black face!
Old 22 January 2019, 03:44 AM   #17
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wife absolutely prefers black. I feel that TRF like white more but fresh set of eyes usually like black more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 22 January 2019, 04:50 AM   #18
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
Wife absolutely prefers black. I feel that TRF like white more but fresh set of eyes usually like black more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Likewise!!

Black will match more of my clothing than White haaa!!

Though if offered a White, it'd be very difficult to say " no thank you " ?!?!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2019, 01:17 PM   #19
spo_888
Banned

Watch: 126710BLRO
black dial

A lot cleaner, white would be nicer if it was a true panda. To each his own though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (130.9 KB, 489 views)
Old 20 May 2019, 01:52 PM   #20
Time2Travel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
White
Old 18 January 2020, 07:27 PM   #21
Oaker1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by spo_888 View Post
A lot cleaner, white would be nicer if it was a true panda. To each his own though.
I prefer the white, but the black dial in this shot looks superb.
Old 22 January 2019, 03:51 AM   #22
Romeo Clive
"TRF" Member

White - makes it stand out more.
Old 20 May 2019, 02:35 PM   #23
vicsdca
Banned

I prefer the 116500 in black but the 116520 in white.

I like the bezel of a watch to be either the same color as the dial (like regular subs and the hulk) or in steel (like explorers).

However, if the white 116500 had a white bezel (instead of black), the watch would have looked much bigger on the wrist, which is not something I would have liked either.

Therefore, my conclusion is that a sports watch with a white dial should always have its bezel in the same color as the bracelet (like explorer 2 and Daytona 116520).

The short answer:
- The 116500 in white is a three-color watch (white, black and steel) -- and if the center links of the bracelet were black, you could call it a TT. For me the white Daytona 116500 is like a TT watch with a monotone stainless steel bracelet. It does not look classy.
- The 116500 in black is a two-color watch (black and steel).
=>In all occasions, I prefer two-color watches.

The black Daytona 116500 is my favorite stainless steel Daytona to date.
Old 20 May 2019, 04:50 PM   #24
boktan
"TRF" Member

White w the Panda subdials
Old 18 January 2020, 03:11 AM   #25
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Which one is more casual feeling for someone that is always in a tee shirt, sometimes sweats, mostly browns/tan mountain khakis or shorts and flip flops.

I work from home in Aspen and want a nicer everyday watch. I can't try on in person, have a 7 1/8" wrist.

Which one has a higher secondary market if I don't like it? I have someone that can get me one, but I need to tell them the exact version and model. If I don't like it, I will sell and get something more casual, like the VC overseas. I am not crazy wealthy and this would be my first nice watch. The retail price is comfortable for me, but $25K is not, so if I ended up selling, I would use the money to get into that $20K territory.

Thanks
Old 18 January 2020, 03:20 AM   #26
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Which one is more casual feeling for someone that is always in a tee shirt, sometimes sweats, mostly browns/tan mountain khakis or shorts and flip flops.

I work from home in Aspen and want a nicer everyday watch. I can't try on in person, have a 7 1/8" wrist.

Which one has a higher secondary market if I don't like it? I have someone that can get me one, but I need to tell them the exact version and model. If I don't like it, I will sell and get something more casual, like the VC overseas. I am not crazy wealthy and this would be my first nice watch. The retail price is comfortable for me, but $25K is not, so if I ended up selling, I would use the money to get into that $20K territory.

Thanks

Black is much more versatile IMO. Can be dressed up or down and look great in either scenario. Did not care at all for the white after seeing it in person. White has higher resale as of now, but I would not be surprised if they evened out in the long term.
Old 18 January 2020, 03:47 AM   #27
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
Black is much more versatile IMO. Can be dressed up or down and look great in either scenario. Did not care at all for the white after seeing it in person. White has higher resale as of now, but I would not be surprised if they evened out in the long term.
Thanks. It is going to be an everyday watch (fishing, skiing, hiking, biking, hot tubing), so legibility is import, but I have very good eyes.

Also, sorry I bummed this one, I did a search and it was the first one that showed up, then I realized there was another one halfway down pg1 of forum.
Old 18 January 2020, 04:23 AM   #28
QRX77
"TRF" Member

Watch: your words...
white for me , based on having 3 divers that are all black faces. That and really when my name eventually comes up at my AD its going to be for my wife and I think the white will look less masculine than the black.

''Time is precious, waste it wisely''
Old 18 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #29
KenU
"TRF" Member

Watch: u gonna do?
These old eyes have no difficulty seeing the hands..

20200117_115318-min.jpg
Old 18 January 2020, 04:57 AM   #30
cts
"TRF" Member

Black all day, all night!!!
Closed Thread