The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 October 2023, 12:58 AM   #1
Copasetic
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Patek & Rolex
Any thoughts on the 11.59?

I saw the white/rose gold model and the white gold/ceramic model at an AP Boutique while vacationing in Italy. I've been looking for a ROC, but I'm very intrigued with the 11.59. I know nothing about it, however. What do you think about of it?
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 02:04 AM   #2
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
It's a watch that needs to be seen and experienced as you have experienced yourself. Photos don't do it justice.
The case is overcomplicated, the crystal is curved in an unique way. The lugs are not attached at the bottom. You can fit in a very thin piece of paper, if your try.

Launched in 2019 only in precious metals with initially 2,000 pieces.
In 2020, the production number was doubled.
AP used it to launch it's in-house chronograph movement.
There was a second iteration with fumed dials in 2021.
In 2022, AP used it to re-launch the starwheel complication.
In 2023 came the third iteration with steel models and also the Universelle model, one of the most complicated watches in the world but at the same time absolutely wearable.

Code in itself means:

Challenge – Challenge the limits of craftsmanship
Own – Our roots and legacy
Dare – To follow firm convictions
Evolve – Never stand still
11.59 – The last minute before a new day

In its 5th year already, it is gaining much more attention from collectors. Time will tell whether it will establish itself as one of the main products of AP, but I personally think it will be a future classic.
One of the main achievements of the outgoing CEO of AP.

.....I like it a lot and I have one.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 03:15 AM   #3
messikens
"TRF" Member

The new ones are actually pretty solid offerings. Arguably aggressively (some would say "way over-") priced but especially the new Chronos have a good look to them.

The finishing and case is actually very nicely executed but you really need to experience / hold / wear one to appreciate the details, pictures do not do it justice.

I think the things holding it back are the lackluster offering at the start with weird dial choices / numerals as well as the pricing (close to $50k) and it being seen as just a way to "buy your way into a RO"
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 03:24 AM   #4
APhound
"TRF" Member

Love them.
I’d grab a used perpetual calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 03:36 AM   #5
ufboy73
Banned

I like then and the deals are pretty good.
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 05:32 AM   #6
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
I was skeptical of 11.59 until I saw one and tried one. Now a proud owner. Yes RO is my go to but code 11.59 is must have in your collection.
m3tek44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 06:47 AM   #7
PalmBeacher83
"TRF" Member

I purchased the blue stainless steel version about a week ago. I have been told that even the largest boutiques only get 6 a year of the stainless models.
PalmBeacher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 07:42 AM   #8
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
The Code is the watch AP makes you buy so you can get something decent.

Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 08:08 AM   #9
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I changed my tune when I had one on my wrist. The only ones I haven't warmed up to are the 3-handers. I'm not a big fan of the numbers or the empty space on the dial. I do like the chronographs and other complications. I agree that the MSRP vs. secondary market price isn't ideal, but it just reflects demand. I'll eventually get one (hopefully the Starwheel).
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 08:09 AM   #10
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
I like them and would get one, there are just a few things holding me back:

- size (I like large watches, but as it doesn’t have a bezel, I feel it looks a bit large on my wrist)

- I prefer the fume dial (e.g. on the 26393nr), ceramic mid case, and non-contrasting subdials, but I prefer the updated hands and hour markers from the new steel versions

- occasion - again, I do like the Codes, but I do wonder when I’d reach for a Code over a RO. I feel like for me personally, whether it’s a formal or a casual occasion, I’d likely reach for a RO over a Code

neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 11:28 AM   #11
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal.jy View Post
I like them and would get one, there are just a few things holding me back:

- size (I like large watches, but as it doesn’t have a bezel, I feel it looks a bit large on my wrist)

- I prefer the fume dial (e.g. on the 26393nr), ceramic mid case, and non-contrasting subdials, but I prefer the updated hands and hour markers from the new steel versions

- occasion - again, I do like the Codes, but I do wonder when I’d reach for a Code over a RO. I feel like for me personally, whether it’s a formal or a casual occasion, I’d likely reach for a RO over a Code

All your points are valid. For #3, there are times where I veer away from the RO bracelet due to its distinct nature, and in those times I reach for my ROO which is a brute. I can see myself choosing a Code in those times.

Separately, on #2, I'd applaud the Code design. How often do you come across a watch that makes you think "wow it would look great in two tone". Ta-da! The Code!
crispyness87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 01:07 PM   #12
triple.lindy
2024 Pledge Member

I got the stainless/ceramic smoked beige time and date recently and love it. It’s incredibly light on the wrist and very ergonomic. Definitely one of the most comfortable watches I own.

I had tried the code a few times in boutiques and was intrigued but never really went any further. When they released the stainless with ceramic mid case at half the price of the PM chrono versions I decided to let my SA know I was interested.

For reference, I’ve received RO and ROO allocations and have never been pushed or even mentioned that I should look at a code.

triple.lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 02:57 PM   #13
chalkflewup
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
It's a watch that needs to be seen and experienced as you have experienced yourself. Photos don't do it justice.
The case is overcomplicated, the crystal is curved in an unique way. The lugs are not attached at the bottom. You can fit in a very thin piece of paper, if your try.

Launched in 2019 only in precious metals with initially 2,000 pieces.
In 2020, the production number was doubled.
AP used it to launch it's in-house chronograph movement.
There was a second iteration with fumed dials in 2021.
In 2022, AP used it to re-launch the starwheel complication.
In 2023 came the third iteration with steel models and also the Universelle model, one of the most complicated watches in the world but at the same time absolutely wearable.

Code in itself means:

Challenge – Challenge the limits of craftsmanship
Own – Our roots and legacy
Dare – To follow firm convictions
Evolve – Never stand still
11.59 – The last minute before a new day

In its 5th year already, it is gaining much more attention from collectors. Time will tell whether it will establish itself as one of the main products of AP, but I personally think it will be a future classic.
One of the main achievements of the outgoing CEO of AP.

.....I like it a lot and I have one.
For all the reasons stated here! As another watch friend pointed out re the Code, you discover a new detail each time you look at it.
Old 5 October 2023, 03:16 PM   #14
Gandor
"TRF" Member

I'm curious if the 30m water resistance is a true 30m i.e. you can swim in it. AP released the RD1 and made a big fuss about its water-resistance at 20m for a minute repeater. So I wonder if AP uses depth ratings in a true fashion vs other brands.
Old 5 October 2023, 05:28 PM   #15
AEV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
I'm curious if the 30m water resistance is a true 30m i.e. you can swim in it. AP released the RD1 and made a big fuss about its water-resistance at 20m for a minute repeater. So I wonder if AP uses depth ratings in a true fashion vs other brands.
I would not swim with it. It does not have screw down crown.
Old 5 October 2023, 09:10 PM   #16
gregouille
"TRF" Member

I must agree here.
Any watch that are not screw down crown I would never swim with them!
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 01:12 AM   #17
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
I would not swim with it. It does not have screw down crown.
You really don't need a screw down crown in theory if the gaskets are solid for low pressures.
Old 6 October 2023, 06:30 AM   #18
Audevache
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t want to swim with my Steel Chrono Code anyhow due to the strap.

The rubberized woven straps of the newer Codes all have a leather underside for increased comfort, and the older PM Codes are usually on alligator.

That said I wouldn’t want to swim with a regular Royal Oak either, I simply wouldn’t trust the 50m water resistance enough. That’s what I use my Overseas for (solid 150m).

And to the original question, I never cared too much for the original Codes in PM, but when my SA offered me the very first steel Code (in the amazing bleu nuit) I pulled the trigger immediately. The new stamped dial without the funky numerals just really gives it a completely different look. I see them as one of the best looking chronographs currently out there.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 10:24 AM   #19
Armis
"TRF" Member

The white gold + ceramic case is an excellent and versatile piece. This was my first Code and it still holds its own compared to the steel Codes. I would at least suggest that you try it on. Good luck.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 06:12 AM   #20
tmcde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vacheron,Audemars,
It get's better every time I wear it

[QUOTE=Copasetic;12971482]I saw the white/rose gold model and the white gold/ceramic model at an AP Boutique while vacationing in Italy. I've been looking for a ROC, but I'm very intrigued with the 11.59. I know nothing about it, however. What do you think about of it?[/QUOTE
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Image 12-14-22 at 2.35 PM.jpeg (86.3 KB, 485 views)
tmcde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 06:18 AM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Consistently my thoughts are hard pass.
Old 16 October 2023, 11:08 AM   #22
DadFuelBBQ
"TRF" Member

As many others have stated, it must been seen in person. I was skeptical on the first few iterations but absolutely love my steel chrono code and it easily gets more wrist time than my ROs or other watches.
DadFuelBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 12:22 PM   #23
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Would take this over almost in its price range (not mine):
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 12:45 PM   #24
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post

I really want one. In person, that dial is more special.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 06:56 PM   #25
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...A002KB.01.html

I picked up the above earlier this year and it's my daily wear, my first AP in my collection, won't be my last hopefully....
It's not oversized or too bulky and fits below a shirt when dressed for business/work and at the same time fits the casual more dressed down side of my life, the AP boutique on Bond St is an impressive place as well, all the staff are a pleasure to deal with.

Was interesting the John Mayer-Ed Sheeran talk on their collection briefly mentioned them, see if the interest grows
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 10:15 PM   #26
AEV
"TRF" Member

I have the RG blue fume dial and I am still fascinated by the complexity of the case and lugs and curviness of the crystal. At the back, the rotor is engraved with the coats of arms of the two families.
The numerals and hands of the first two iterations are actually from prior AP dress models, for those wondering where did AP took the idea.
And for the case - it is finished by hand and at the time AP launched it in 2019, only 10 people knew how to finish the case.
Old 16 October 2023, 11:03 PM   #27
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, haven’t looked into the star wheel yet. What time does it say it is there?
Is that ss? What’s the price?
Thx!

Old 17 October 2023, 12:16 AM   #28
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, haven’t looked into the star wheel yet. What time does it say it is there?
Is that ss? What’s the price?
11:14
WG w/ ceramic mid-case
$57.9k
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 12:25 AM   #29
APhound
"TRF" Member

Any thoughts on the 11.59?

Quote:
11:14
WG w/ ceramic mid-case
$57.9k

Thx! I see it now. It’s definitely cool.
I dint think it’s the one for me. I want a code but haven’t decided which one. I’m between blue ss 3 hand, perpetual, or black onyx tourb. Still open minded to others and new ones coming down the pipe. We’ll see

Old 17 October 2023, 01:48 AM   #30
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
Thx! I see it now. It’s definitely cool.
I dint think it’s the one for me. I want a code but haven’t decided which one. I’m between blue ss 3 hand, perpetual, or black onyx tourb. Still open minded to others and new ones coming down the pipe. We’ll see

At an AP event earlier this year, one of the AP execs was wearing the Onyx Tourbillon. A true beauty. Maybe one day….

I personally would chose the blue chrono over the 3 hander (I own the former).
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote