The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2023, 03:10 AM   #1
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

Icon11 AP Boutique How To Get Royal Oak

Yesterday, I visited the AP boutique for the first time and had my name listed for the 26240ST Black. The salesman informed me that the wait for this model could be as long as 3 to 4 years. He suggested that if I purchase a Code 11:59, I might be able to bypass the queue and receive it within 1 to 1.5 years. However, I'm not particularly fond of the design of the Code 11:59. Considering buying from the grey market, even though the prices are steep, and being informed that the ownership/warranty card will only change to me after 3 years, also concerns me about not having a direct connection with AP. What move would you recommend? Additionally, I'm curious to know how long you waited for the Royal Oak series.

Personally, I value having a connection with the AP house. As such, I don't mind getting a Code 11:59 solely for the royal oak. However, I'm worried that even if I purchase the CODE 11:59, I might still endure an extensive wait of over a year for the Royal Oak, or worse, never get the chance to obtain it. Since the salesman is aware of my preference for the Royal Oak and my lack of enthusiasm for the CODE 11:59 design, I wonder if the choice of the salesman could significantly impact this process. I would highly appreciate guidance from any experienced expert on the intricate dynamics of this waiting game.

Appreciate it.
Johnsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 03:14 AM   #2
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Hard to say for sure of course. I first asked for a ROO and got it several months later. Then I expressed interest in a RO and got one within several months again, and then another. At no point was I ever told I should consider buying something I didn’t want, but I know others have experienced that.
Unless you intend to buy several AP’s I recommend going grey. The experience of buying from the boutique is amazing, but unless you are going to buy several you may spend more than you’re saving by having to buy a Code first.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 03:26 AM   #3
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
Hard to say for sure of course. I first asked for a ROO and got it several months later. Then I expressed interest in a RO and got one within several months again, and then another. At no point was I ever told I should consider buying something I didn’t want, but I know others have experienced that.
Unless you intend to buy several AP’s I recommend going grey. The experience of buying from the boutique is amazing, but unless you are going to buy several you may spend more than you’re saving by having to buy a Code first.
Without a doubt, I admire all the Royal Oak series, except for the Offshore, considering my relatively small wrist size. Therefore, I am eager to acquire any other Royal Oak model after obtaining the 26240ST. However, the Code 11:59 doesn't quite suit my taste. Although, I might contemplate purchasing another Code model after obtaining the 26240ST Black, primarily to increase my chances of acquiring another Royal Oak watch, perhaps one with a green dial. I'm unsure whether my understanding of the rules of this game is accurate.
Old 18 October 2023, 03:33 AM   #4
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

I am deeply concerned that even after purchasing the Code, I might still be unable to acquire the Royal Oak within a year. This could potentially lead me to buy it from the grey market at nearly double the retail price, as my preference for this watch surpasses any other watch or brand. Not to mention the 35k+ USD I would have wasted on a watch I don't truly enjoy (the Code).
Old 18 October 2023, 03:42 AM   #5
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Folks need to to have more self-respect than buying pieces they don’t want and bending over backwards, begging to spend money. It’s absurd that folks will do this - seems like we are the sellers and the boutiques are the buyers in this age.

Be vocal on what you want and check in regularly. RO isn’t impossible to get.
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:04 AM   #6
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Folks need to to have more self-respect than buying pieces they don’t want and bending over backwards, begging to spend money. It’s absurd that folks will do this - seems like we are the sellers and the boutiques are the buyers in this age.

I agree. You shouldn't buy anything you don't love. Keep checking in and establish a relationship with your SA. That is the key in my mind.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:08 AM   #7
Pboned
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I wouldn’t buy something that I didn’t want. Waste of money.
Pboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:11 AM   #8
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Frankly, if you only like Royal Oaks you’re not an AP customer. I’d look to just buy the one you want gray and be done with it or start to appreciate the full collection.
Old 18 October 2023, 04:13 AM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsim View Post
I am deeply concerned that even after purchasing the Code, I might still be unable to acquire the Royal Oak within a year. This could potentially lead me to buy it from the grey market at nearly double the retail price, as my preference for this watch surpasses any other watch or brand. Not to mention the 35k+ USD I would have wasted on a watch I don't truly enjoy (the Code).

I think to expect it within a year is ambitious given the salesman said 1-1.5 years. If you decide to buy a Code I would set your expectation at 2 years for a Royal Oak and then you hopefully won’t be disappointed and it may well arrive sooner. For what it’s worth IMO the Code really suits sub 7” wrists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:24 AM   #10
APhound
"TRF" Member

Just go grey!!!
Do not buy a watch you don’t want. We’re not talking small money here.

But I bet after you get it you’ll find you actually want a code.

Good luck. They’re amazing watches, you’re going to be happy either way

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:25 AM   #11
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I suggest the quickest way to get what you want is to instead spend time establishing the relationship with your SA stick with one person and don’t be annoying but create a relationship via texts and store visits.

Im 3 ROO’s deep (From and AD) and have NOT been offered a RO yet. I got my first RO Grey market 15400 my second RO from an auction.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:31 AM   #12
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

If all you're interested in is the RO line, and aren't willing to wait 3 years then go aftermarket. My wife and I love the offshores, so we have built a relationship with our AP boutique. Do you have a wife or girlfriend that loves any of the AP lady's wacthes? that will certainly get you RO within 12-18 months
johnsonsxusfrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 06:03 AM   #13
Armis
"TRF" Member

I agree with the recommendation to cultivate more of a relationship by periodically checking in. Do not give in to the thought of buying something you don’t want. That being said, regarding the Code, I would at least see it in the metal and try it on. I say this because many people have a different impression when they handle it in reality. Something to consider at your next visit.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 08:02 AM   #14
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
How strongly do you feel about having a relationship with that specific boutique? It sounds like you don’t yet have a relationship with them, so I’d try a few different boutiques until you find a SA with whom you’re able to connect.

neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 08:56 AM   #15
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pboned View Post
I wouldn’t buy something that I didn’t want. Waste of money.
Big facts. I detest the "buy this with the hopes of being on a mysterious waitlist" tactic. Ask for what you want & wait. Shoot, even call the SA or go in at some regular interval to continue to express interest. If after enough time passes (this metric is up to you & you alone) & you still haven't gotten it from the boutique AND you still really want it, find it grey.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:11 AM   #16
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Well said Vince.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:15 AM   #17
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’d go grey. Then wait at the boutique to see if you ever get a call.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 01:58 PM   #18
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

Surprisingly, there are many voices advocating for me to opt for the grey market. I don't quite grasp the idea of checking in regularly, as the boutique only operates by appointments. It seems impractical to keep meeting the same salesman repeatedly and reiterating my admiration for the watch.

To those suggesting I should directly pursue what I want and be patient, I reckon it would entail a waiting period of at least 3 years or more. I've harbored the dream of owning this specific timepiece for quite some time now. Should I persist in waiting? In reality, I'm not a CEO of any prominent company. I'm just an ordinary individual with no notable background. From what I've heard, AP tends to select their customers based on their status. Obtaining one of their most sought-after pieces immediately without having purchased a less popular item seems highly challenging.
Old 18 October 2023, 02:03 PM   #19
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do agree with you, but we must consider that if they were to offer prestigious pieces to individuals without any purchase history, wouldn't that pose a risk of the item ending up with a reseller or flipper?
Old 18 October 2023, 02:10 PM   #20
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal.jy View Post
How strongly do you feel about having a relationship with that specific boutique? It sounds like you don’t yet have a relationship with them, so I’d try a few different boutiques until you find a SA with whom you’re able to connect.

I would rate the service as above average, and I believe the salesman is honest. However, I worry that my overt preference for the Royal Oak, coupled with my relatively lesser interest in the Code 11:59, might affect my standing. Would the AP house perceive me as less of a genuine customer or collector? Unfortunately, there is only one boutique available in my area.
Old 18 October 2023, 02:11 PM   #21
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

I have read all the replies and sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Old 18 October 2023, 02:12 PM   #22
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do agree with you, but we must consider that if they were to offer prestigious pieces to individuals without any purchase history, wouldn't that pose a risk of the item ending up with a reseller or flipper?
These things are mutually exclusive. One can screen for flippers while allowing newcomers in.
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:04 PM   #23
rapide66
"TRF" Member

AP RO and ROC prices have been coming down over the past year so buying one grey might not be such a bad idea, especially if you only want once piece from AP.

I was able to acquire an AP ROC (38mm) fairly recently after a ~2.5 year wait and no other purchase history. I recommend standing firm and not to yield to the Code 11.59 unless you truly want it, irrespective of whether or not it helps with your RO allocation.
Old 18 October 2023, 04:51 PM   #24
TNG
"TRF" Member

Remember kids, in 2012 AP had to reduce prices because they weren't selling any RO's because of the recession. Economy will not always be like this. It's already happening with Rolex too....Don't buy shit you don't want, just wait or go grey.
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 07:25 PM   #25
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
If you don't have any plans to purchase numerous expensive rate pieces down the line there is little to gain from building a relationshop.
In my experience after sale services is as good even if one buy grey.
Old 18 October 2023, 07:42 PM   #26
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

I see a lot of people suggesting that I should go for the grey market. It's disheartening because the price in the grey market for the 26240ST is equivalent to what I could spend on acquiring one Code and one Royal Oak from the AP house, which I suppose would allow me to own two watches with that pricing.

I must say one thing: I don't dislike the Code as much, but it simply lacks the octagonal shape and the beautiful steel bracelet that truly symbolize AP.
Old 18 October 2023, 07:43 PM   #27
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

After reading all the responses, I suppose I'll just opt for the grey market. :(
Old 18 October 2023, 09:19 PM   #28
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After reading all the responses, I suppose I'll just opt for the grey market. :(
Then wait
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:21 PM   #29
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Recommend you wait and see what AP does.
You don’t have to go see your Sales Advisor - I used to check in via email but then I had to fly to see mine. An email once a month or every other month, just a quick note, a little banter and that’s it. It worked but YMMV.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:40 PM   #30
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
In my experience with AP, I have never been asked or suggested to buy a piece that will potentially help me get another piece.
AP wants to know their customers better and that's why they moved away from the retail model. The boutiques and houses are there so they can meet the customers in a more informal way.
As this was your very first visit, don't loose hope. Watches for this year are anyway allocated.
I'd suggest to visit again in a couple of months & reiterate your interest. As someone wrote above, it is really important to be able to connect with the SA.
But it is not necessary to always visit in person to keep in touch.

Don't dismiss the Code 11.59 before seeing and experiencing it in person.
Btw, it does have an octagonal mid case which is incredibly and beautifully complex.
And yes, it may not have the iconic bracelet, but keep in mind that AP existed from 1875 to 1972 without the RO.
And with the Code 11.59 line they are going back to their origins but in a more contemporary and modern way.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote