The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2024, 08:33 AM   #1
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Following up with AD’s

Had my name down now for a month or so at 3 AD’s for a DJ41 fluted.

What do guys think is the best way of following up and keeping you in the sales persons mind?
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:41 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Drop by each of the stores and strike up a conversation about something. Thank them again at some point, for having your name down for the watch you want. If you come by regularly, but not overdo it, they will begin to know who you are. Might be helpful for an allocation. The people who buy other stuff there will always get first dibs, however.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:41 AM   #3
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Typical human behavior: make yourself known, be friendly and kind, have no expectations, show sincerity and a little humor, be consistent. Usual human interaction stuff.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:10 AM   #4
Dave O
"TRF" Member

As others have stated, visit in person, strike up a conversation and be sincere. Until you become better equated with them, avoid text messages and emails. Your staying in touch should be done in person.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 11:13 AM   #5
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
The guys are right. Stop in and talk about watches, show interest in your SA’s life. Normal stuff. Once a month is about right. I only did this with one of the 2 ADs, to whom I gave my name and number. The other was too far away. It worked for me. Good luck

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 09:09 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The guys are right. Stop in and talk about watches, show interest in your SA’s life. Normal stuff. Once a month is about right. I only did this with one of the 2 ADs, to whom I gave my name and number. The other was too far away. It worked for me. Good luck

Kat

Thank goodness I am satisfied with my Rolex collection, I can’t imagine going in to an AD, sucking up to some sales associate, making idle chatter, just for the privilege of lightening my wallet of $10,000.
And forgive me, but feigning interest in the life of your SA isn’t normal stuff to me. I know that’s what people do, I just can’t do it.
Old 7 February 2024, 11:34 AM   #7
KatGirl

Following up with AD’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Thank goodness I am satisfied with my Rolex collection, I can’t imagine going in to an AD, sucking up to some sales associate, making idle chatter, just for the privilege of lightening my wallet of $10,000.
And forgive me, but feigning interest in the life of your SA isn’t normal stuff to me. I know that’s what people do, I just can’t do it.

See, that’s the thing. I am NOT feigning interest. I genuinely care about other people, and enjoy getting to know them, and hearing about their lives. Of course, I get to chat about watches, too, which I love to do. It’s a pleasure, for me. The fact, that it may help me get allocations, is just a bonus.

Kat

Old 6 February 2024, 11:55 AM   #8
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

All this is too much effort for me. If they have it, great. If not, I go gray.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 12:42 PM   #9
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
From my understanding datejusts are available?
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 01:08 PM   #10
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post

Not to order, anymore. As my SA told me, 2 days ago, “That window has closed!”

Kat

Old 6 February 2024, 10:33 PM   #11
Burt Macklin
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 Ref#126234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
I think that's more for DJ36s as I was able to put in an interest to buy when I got mine. I was told that DJ41s are still hard to come by depending on the configuration.
Burt Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 01:10 PM   #12
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by painexpert View Post

I wish I could afford to go grey. Also, I enjoy the AD experience.

Kat

Old 7 February 2024, 07:33 AM   #13
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painexpert View Post
You have deep pockets my friend.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 04:35 PM   #14
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

You should send them flowers every month and then on special occasions buy them chocolates and champagne. Obviously not forget to drop by on a daily basis with coffee and cake. You’ve got to maintain that relationship’
Old 6 February 2024, 04:52 PM   #15
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
You should send them flowers every month and then on special occasions buy them chocolates and champagne. Obviously not forget to drop by on a daily basis with coffee and cake. You’ve got to maintain that relationship’

I probably should reciprocate, a little. My AD served me chocolates and 2 nice generous pours of a nice Pinot Noir, on Saturday. I’ve never even sent them so much, as a Christmas card, but did get one from them. Shame on me.

Kat

Old 6 February 2024, 05:10 PM   #16
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

forgedaboudid... i dont have temper to deal with ADs... i go grey...
Old 6 February 2024, 08:19 PM   #17
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I probably should reciprocate, a little. My AD served me chocolates and 2 nice generous pours of a nice Pinot Noir, on Saturday. I’ve never even sent them so much, as a Christmas card, but did get one from them. Shame on me.

Kat

The drinks and chocolates were included in with the price of your watch that he’d just made 35% on
Old 7 February 2024, 12:00 AM   #18
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
The drinks and chocolates were included in with the price of your watch that he’d just made 35% on
A whole 35%! Whatever will they do with all that money?
Old 7 February 2024, 05:16 AM   #19
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
A whole 35%! Whatever will they do with all that money?
The Mgr at a small rolex AD let me know the #s for their store where Rolex is the primary draw that leads to the sale of other brands and jewelry.

Mgr takes mid to high 100s depending on bonus, asst Mgr takes 80-90k, SA(s) make 50-60k plus benefits, rent 30k monthly, security 8-10k monthly, ...

Sales of Rolex don't count toward sales goals. Yes it's a tough biz when you don't have enough Rolex inventory to draw people in.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:27 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Just be yourself.

If you’re a bad person, pretend to be good
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 10:29 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go in, talk watches, remind them of the watch you want.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 05:39 AM   #22
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Go in, talk watches, remind them of the watch you want.
After how long?

A week, a month?

It just feels weird. I mean, if i was doing my job, i would get annoyed if someone kept coming back to say, "is it ready yet?".
Old 7 February 2024, 06:04 AM   #23
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffs View Post
After how long?

A week, a month?

It just feels weird. I mean, if i was doing my job, i would get annoyed if someone kept coming back to say, "is it ready yet?".
You’re the only one that knows what feels weird to you so pick an interval that doesn’t feel weird. And if all you do is keep going back to ask “is it ready yet?” then that is weird.
Old 7 February 2024, 06:17 AM   #24
KatGirl

Following up with AD’s

Quote:
After how long?

A week, a month?

I visit monthly, as I did this past Saturday. If you read my incoming thread, you will see what happened. I had expressed interest in the TT Wimbledon, and I’m not even sure I was on the list. I tend to give them several options, when looking for a new watch. But, they knew I had tried the exact figuration on, more than once, recently, and that I expressed interest. When I go in, I never say, “Is it ready yet?”, or words to that affect. I go in to say hello, talk about watches, in general, ask the SA about family, talk about my own life, etc. I do like to look at the exhibition pieces, and try some on. After a pleasant visit, I leave. It’s about keeping yourself, and your face, in their mind, so they think of you, when an allocation arrives. My SA admitted to me, they sell to people they like, regardless of where they are on a list.

Kat

Old 7 February 2024, 06:27 AM   #25
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I visit monthly, as I did this past Saturday. If you read my incoming thread, you will see what happened. I had expressed interest in the TT Wimbledon, and I’m not even sure I was on the list. I tend to give them several options, when looking for a new watch. But, they knew I had tried the exact figuration on, more than once, recently, and that I expressed interest. When I go in, I never say, “Is it ready yet?”, or words to that affect. I go in to say hello, talk about watches, in general, ask the SA about family, talk about my own life, etc. I do like to look at the exhibition pieces, and try some on. After a pleasant visit, I leave. It’s about keeping yourself, and your face, in their mind, so they think of you, when an allocation arrives. My SA admitted to me, they sell to people they like, regardless of where they are on a list.

Kat

Just looked back at that thread. Congrats. You got real lucky there and got what you wanted.
Old 7 February 2024, 02:00 PM   #26
beemerboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:

Kat

Semi-long time lurker here with minimal posts. For what it's worth, your posts are informative and well written especially from a practical viewpoint.

I'm nearing my 35th year wearing a Rolex and my interactions with AD's have been a mixed bag. Some helpful, some outright snobs. I ended up buying my second Sub from an out of state AD and never looked back.

Regardless of the eventual purchase, my preference is to establish a sound relationship with the local AD. I've stayed true to that stance for many decades and it's served me well when purchasing SUV's and motorcycles. In the case of motorcycles, I drive or ride 60 miles north to Denver for sales and service rather than doing business with the local BMW dealer.

Again, thank you KatGirl for your sound advice.
beemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 03:36 PM   #27
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy View Post
Semi-long time lurker here with minimal posts. For what it's worth, your posts are informative and well written especially from a practical viewpoint.

I'm nearing my 35th year wearing a Rolex and my interactions with AD's have been a mixed bag. Some helpful, some outright snobs. I ended up buying my second Sub from an out of state AD and never looked back.

Regardless of the eventual purchase, my preference is to establish a sound relationship with the local AD. I've stayed true to that stance for many decades and it's served me well when purchasing SUV's and motorcycles. In the case of motorcycles, I drive or ride 60 miles north to Denver for sales and service rather than doing business with the local BMW dealer.

Again, thank you KatGirl for your sound advice.

Thank you for your very kind words, and you are quite welcome.

Kat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 February 2024, 06:44 AM   #28
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After how long?

A week, a month?

Yes, it is weird. You either go secondary market or suck it up and play this stupid game. Rolex and their ADs will continue this game for as long as they can. Supply/Demand or Faked Supply/Demand... No one but the ADs know.

I moved to a new area and would like a new watch. I have been to the store 1 time (their grand opening) and called 1 time. I just cannot bring myself to be like everyone else who treats the Rolex AD like their favorite bar/pub. The SAs know exactly what you are doing. You don't have to ask them where your watch is as they totally know why people keep visiting.

When I was in there I could tell right away the people trying to schmooze. They were really forcing a convo with the SAs, trying way too hard and it was so obvious. Also, how many articles of Rolex swag is too much to wear/have at one time while in an AD? Wow was the experience cringe inducing..

Some funny behavior that I noticed:

1. People with their sleeves rolled up to make sure the watch can easily be seen on the wrist.
2. Looking at every other brand first pretending they don't just want to run to the Rolex counter.
3. Watching them then go to the Rolex section and not look at any popular models while pretending to browse the Day Dates and other precious metal models. I guess I could settle for a Submariner or a Daytona.
4. Asking the dumbest questions to pretend they are interested or making the silliest statements to prove they know something about the Rolex brand.
5. Wearing another brand and talking about how much you love that brand but thought you might try a Rolex for a change.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:20 AM   #29
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Yes, it is weird. You either go secondary market or suck it up and play this stupid game. Rolex and their ADs will continue this game for as long as they can. Supply/Demand or Faked Supply/Demand... No one but the ADs know.

I moved to a new area and would like a new watch. I have been to the store 1 time (their grand opening) and called 1 time. I just cannot bring myself to be like everyone else who treats the Rolex AD like their favorite bar/pub. The SAs know exactly what you are doing. You don't have to ask them where your watch is as they totally know why people keep visiting.

When I was in there I could tell right away the people trying to schmooze. They were really forcing a convo with the SAs, trying way too hard and it was so obvious. Also, how many articles of Rolex swag is too much to wear/have at one time while in an AD? Wow was the experience cringe inducing..

1. People with their sleeves rolled up to make sure the watch can easily be seen on the wrist.
2. Looking at every other brand first pretending they don't just want to run to the Rolex counter.
3. Watching them then go to the Rolex section and not look at any popular models while pretending to browse the Day Dates and other precious metal models. I guess I could settle for a Submariner or a Daytona.
4. Asking the dumbest questions to pretend they are interested or making the silliest statements to prove they know something about the Rolex brand.
5. Wearing another brand and talking about how much you love that brand but thought you might try a Rolex for a change.

I feel seen.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:16 AM   #30
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Following up with AD’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post

Why do you pay such close attention to people in watch shops?

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote