The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 May 2024, 06:51 AM   #1
shahuk
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on 5980/1a-019 - opinions appreciated

I've been looking to consolidate my collection recently down to a couple piecces and am considering trading several of my vintage rolex pieces and my 5167a for a grail piece.

A watch that I looked at today and hadn't really considered before is the 5890-019 - with the white dial.

it is a 2013 model, full set and the watch head is unpolished (clasp and a couple of links were lightly touched up).

I'm really only considering relatively unique/rare watches that I also would like to wear. I would love to hear from the forum how this watch stacks up and is viewed by collectors. I'm one of those 'never pay over MSRP' types but this would be a trade, and I'm attracted to the short 2 year 2012-2014 run!

I would trade my 5167a, an unpolished Rolex 1680 Mk V, a Rolex 16550 Cream Rail dial, and an 2004 16610LV Flat 4 in an even trade, which will leave me with just the 5980 and the Rolex 116500 in both white and black.

Wrist shot below. Opinions welcomed and appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6786.jpg (135.7 KB, 333 views)
shahuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 06:52 AM   #2
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
If it makes you happy, but I certainly wouldn't do all that for the reference you are mentioning.
jgottsman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 01:51 AM   #3
shahuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahuk View Post
I've been looking to consolidate my collection recently down to a couple piecces and am considering trading several of my vintage rolex pieces and my 5167a for a grail piece.

A watch that I looked at today and hadn't really considered before is the 5890-019 - with the white dial.

it is a 2013 model, full set and the watch head is unpolished (clasp and a couple of links were lightly touched up).

I'm really only considering relatively unique/rare watches that I also would like to wear. I would love to hear from the forum how this watch stacks up and is viewed by collectors. I'm one of those 'never pay over MSRP' types but this would be a trade, and I'm attracted to the short 2 year 2012-2014 run!

I would trade my 5167a, an unpolished Rolex 1680 Mk V, a Rolex 16550 Cream Rail dial, and an 2004 16610LV Flat 4 in an even trade, which will leave me with just the 5980 and the Rolex 116500 in both white and black.

Wrist shot below. Opinions welcomed and appreciated!
I hear you. Just trying to consolidate to one piece that I will actually wear! I'm not so attached to the 5167a, but want to find something really good to replace the vintage!
Old 8 May 2024, 02:44 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I don't know about the value part, but consolidation into a few pieces that you love to me is always a good idea. At a 4-for-1 trade, I'd only do it for a piece you love. If you only like it or like it somewhat because it is available (vs. the blue model), I don't know that it would stick in the long run. There are a lot of great watches available at the $115k range.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:56 AM   #5
shahuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I don't know about the value part, but consolidation into a few pieces that you love to me is always a good idea. At a 4-for-1 trade, I'd only do it for a piece you love. If you only like it or like it somewhat because it is available (vs. the blue model), I don't know that it would stick in the long run. There are a lot of great watches available at the $115k range.
Value-wise, it all nets out. I paid through the nose for the vintage but paid less than MSRP for the 5167a in 2015.

i'd be grateful to own any nautilus or complicated Patek for that matter. There is also a blue dial 5980 for not that much more money I can get my hands on - Aesthetically, I like blue and white dial equally but I love the short production run of the white dial - rarity is always fun!

If it doesnt stick, I'd hope I could get my money out of a piece like this! If there are any other suggestions for watches in that range I'd love to hear them!! I'm allergic to gold (serioulsy) so would need to be steel or platinum. I did look at and love the 5170p but Im just not sure I would wear it much..
Old 8 May 2024, 10:15 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahuk View Post
If there are any other suggestions for watches in that range I'd love to hear them!! I'm allergic to gold (serioulsy) so would need to be steel or platinum. I did look at and love the 5170p but Im just not sure I would wear it much..
Your tastes may vary of course, but for about that much on Chrono24 I'd consider

VC Overseas Tourbillon, VC Overseas Perpetual calendar
AP Openworked, AP Perpetual Calendar
Rolex Platona
FP Journe Bleu
Patek 5726, Patek 5990
Lange Datograph
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 07:32 AM   #7
Vasco
"TRF" Member

The blue and black dials of these Nautilus in general, and 5980 in particular, make those watches look gorgeous. It's a huge part of the nautilus' uniqueness and success. However, I remember when those white dials were released that the 5980 version was my favorite from the 5980s (as was the 5726 vs other 5726s).

As usual, only you will be able to tell if this dial's rendering will be appealing enough. It's true it's always nice to have something "special".
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote