The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2020, 04:26 PM   #1
fiosity
Banned

The ceramic bezel struck me

As weird. I’ve had my sub for over a year now. It was my first sports Rolex. I’ve never had one before but I’ve grown up with all the classic submariner imagery. This has never happened to me before, but all of a sudden, the shiny, highly reflective black bezel didn’t quite look right. And as a younger guy, I’m wondering if it might have put off some people when the ceramic came out. Maybe it’s time to consider buying pre owned pieces and looking into a five digit model.
fiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I'm 60 and bought my first Rolex, a GMT-Master II when I was 27.

I've no problems with the ceramic bezel, in fact I'm glad that Rolex has moved with the times and upgraded their materials, including the bracelet and clasps.

However, if it's not for you, then I'm sure you'll be able to find something else among the earlier models that suits your taste.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 06:41 PM   #3
ctang
"TRF" Member

Pre-ceramic definitely has a better look, and one that develops a patina over time that some collectors seek for that look that tells a story. Rolex looks at the same patina and considers it a flaw to be corrected.
ctang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 07:40 PM   #4
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
If it’s bothering you that much, buy an older sub and keep both.

I have to ask...does the ceramic bezel on your GMT not bother you? It looks like in the past two weeks you’ve talked about loving the GMT then wanting to trade it in for a YG DD. Rather than make any rash decisions about the Sub, maybe give it another week or two or try putting it away for a while and seeing how you feel about it.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 08:18 PM   #5
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

It's not something which would put me off the ceramic, in fact it's a piece I'd like to own. But, with that in mind, I do think the aesthetic of the 5 digits looks better and has a more timeless look which has aged well. In my opinion, the ceramic can often look 'blingy' for want of a better term. How the ceramic will age, and whether or not in 10 years time it is considered a timeless look, is yet to be seen.

I once heard on a YouTube channel something along the lines of if your watch can be worn by your grandfather it's probably a classic with timeless appeal. If he were still here, I could see my grandfather rocking a 5 digit, but think the 6 digit might have too much bling appeal.

The above being said, when looking for a good condition 5 digit model the cost is often close to or above MSRP for a new ceramic. Faced with this proposition and with all things considered I'd buy new.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
How the ceramic will age, and whether or not in 10 years time it is considered a timeless look, is yet to be seen.
Ceramic bezel inserts have been used by Rolex since 2007 (GMT) and 2008 (Sub and DSSD), so both well over 10 years already.
Even the Daytona ref. 116506 has had ceramic since 2013.
Old 23 April 2020, 08:53 PM   #7
pc109
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctang View Post
Pre-ceramic definitely has a better look, and one that develops a patina over time that some collectors seek for that look that tells a story. Rolex looks at the same patina and considers it a flaw to be corrected.
Different strokes for different folks. While many of us on TRF enjoy the aluminum bezel patinated look, I have friends who love the fact that after a few years of ownership, the ceramic bezel still looks brand new.

I also know a guy who works outdoors all day on boats in Bermuda that has his Pepsi 16710 bezel changed every 2 years because it gets so faded. I never told him that people like the faded look because, he’s happy as a clam with changing to a fresh one and prefers that new look. Who am I impose our likes on him?
pc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:14 PM   #8
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I also prefer 5 digit aluminum inserts, but I can see why many love the ceramic ones.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 10:32 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the ceramic bezels and think that the updates to the six digit models are great. I can understand the appeal to the five digit watches and I have owned a lot over the years. I would keep what you have and add a five digit and see how both work in the collection. When you figure it out then move the one that does not work as well for you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:02 PM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
It’s not for me, nor do I find ceramics that seiko puts on $500 watches an upgrade, just marketing gimmick. I have less a problem with the ceramics as I have with the giant lugs, that’s my biggest problem with the 6 digits
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 01:19 AM   #11
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

I think the aluminum bezel looks better in low light conditions indoors. The black ceramics seem to change color. Almost a grey color. But out in the sun the black ceramics look fantastic.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 01:27 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work. Happily, you have a watch that can be used to facilitate an exchange for something more to your liking.

I'm glad Rolex went ceramic, but more than that, I welcome the sturdiness and heft of the six digit bracelet and clasp. The previous generation of Sub bracelet and clasp put me off.

Each to their own. Something for everyone.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 01:41 AM   #13
xcentric
"TRF" Member

horses for courses - for me - it stays brighter and clearer for longer, and so the watch looks newer for longer - sometimes a good thing, sometimes not....
xcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 02:58 AM   #14
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctang View Post
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the cerachrome itself aged after several decades and developed a patina of its own. Rolex has certainly miscalculated the susceptibility of patina in the past.
Old 25 April 2020, 01:38 PM   #15
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Ceramic bezel inserts have been used by Rolex since 2007 (GMT) and 2008 (Sub and DSSD), so both well over 10 years already.
Even the Daytona ref. 116506 has had ceramic since 2013.
Self-correction: 2005 for the GMT (ref. 116718, 2007 was the 116710), so Rolex ceramic inserts have been with us for 15 years now.
Old 25 April 2020, 01:46 PM   #16
Event Horizon
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Honestly, if it wasn’t for the upgraded clasp, I’d swap my subc for a 5 digit sub any day.

I like how the ceramic bezel looks on my new blro, but a black ceramic bezel just doesn’t work for me. Just not a fan of the ghost/mirror look it has in certain lights.

Honestly, the only brands that have gotten the black ceramic bezel right is CW and Omega.
I’ve got a certina watch w/ a black ceramic bezel as well and it has that annoying ghosting/mirror look in certain lights.
Event Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote